Make Resistance affect Poison modifiers and Revert Resistance durations

Bewt.9258

Rune of Resistance was nerfed to a 45s CD, then the resistance boon was nerfed to be useless = Rune of Resistance was effectively double nerfed and is totally useless now.
Anet has this problem of nerfing things too much and than forgetting about their nerfs when they move on to other things. If you're going to make a huge game balancing change like how the resistance boon works, you have to also go back and look at the changes you've made to resistance skills you've made before and ask yourself "should we reverse those nerfs?".

On top of this, having Resistance only effect non-damaging conditions means that Poison has been effectively buffed way too much in this current meta.
We need either Resistance or Resolution to effect Poison and we need Rune of Resistance to have a 30s or 25s CD (a nice middle ground).

My perspective is as a Guardian player who liked to use Feel my Wrath in combo with Rune of Resistance, the CDs would sync perfectly and Resistance would allow me to pull off fast bursts without being Feared or Immobilized. But these resistance changes and effective poison buffs are also effecting condi revs and makes those builds useless as well.

Please go back and look at your old nerfs and ask yourself if you should reverse them. I'm sure a lot of players on these forums have plenty of examples of skills that have been nerfed and forgotten as well.

Edited by Bailios.7518
  • Like 9
  • Confused 1

I wonder with all those passed meta’s how the current meta would look if all nerfs ever done would be undone.. Except celestial amulet, leave that one out.

On a serious note: they should stop nerfing core elements of a class if the e-spec of the class has something overpowered/broken. They really should think about balancing in layers. If an e-spec is overpowered, it should be watched closely and see what actually is making them so strong compared to their base class instead of constantly doing general nerfs to base class. Nerfing base class is just removing options for vanilla class and other e-specs builds into PvP/WvW.

We need to aim for build diversity and not fancy AoE unga bunga AFK midhero snoozefesting.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Genesis.5169 said:

So let me get this straight you want to fix the nerfs by nerfing poison even more, because as one of the few classes who get to heal all the time (the guardian) it affects you the most?

Am i correct here?

No the concept here is that Resistance should affect poison modifiers or Resistance be reverted altogether because it was already nerfed into barely being around. So if we are to keep Resistance the way it is, at least make it affect Poison healing reduced effectiveness and consider increasing Resistance durations all around again because it doesn't exist in the game.

Poison outside clearing has no counter play, which is not always likely because it's often applied first once then forgotten on top of all the conditions that covers it. It sucks and is unfun. Everything else has some form of counter play, be it applied too often so it's easy to clear or confusion like torment can have damage reduced by not using any skills or forcing movement.

Make Resistance relevant again by increasing it's duration for those who deserve it and affect Poison modifiers.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Shao.7236 said:

No the concept here is that Resistance should affect poison modifiers or Resistance be reverted altogether because it was already nerfed into barely being around. So if we are to keep Resistance the way it is, at least make it affect Poison healing reduced effectiveness and consider increasing Resistance durations all around again because it doesn't exist in the game.

Poison outside clearing has no counter play, which is not always likely because it's often applied first once then forgotten on top of all the conditions that covers it. It sucks and is unfun. Everything else has some form of counter play, be it applied too often so it's easy to clear or confusion like torment can have damage reduced by not using any skills or forcing movement.

Make Resistance relevant again by increasing it's duration for those who deserve it and affect Poison modifiers.

The reduced healing from poison is effectively damage.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, Genesis.5169 said:

So let me get this straight you want to fix the nerfs by nerfing poison even more, because as one of the few classes who get to heal all the time (the guardian) it affects you the most?

Am i correct here?

I did also mention Condi Rev and how poison effects them as well. Poison has just been buffed by proxy because of the resistance change, it has a ton more value now than it did before, and it's a problem that Anet should look into. Both resistance and poison. 

9 hours ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Am i correct here?

hes a rev main, he cant abuse his resist/rev runes for easy peasy condition invulnerability on low cooldown.

As for poison, yea resist should block the healing reduction, but before they even think about implementing this kitten they HAVE to fix the bunker kitten that is flying around first, that would effectively nerf the damage which is the last thing we need right now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Shao.7236 said:

The counter play to poison is condition clearing or dodging it or stopping it from ever happening. Like every other tool in the game. I'd recommend people who read this thread to put this in the absolute nonsense category.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

hes a rev main, he cant abuse his resist/rev runes for easy peasy condition invulnerability on low cooldown.

As for poison, yea resist should block the healing reduction, but before they even think about implementing this kitten they HAVE to fix the bunker kitten that is flying around first, that would effectively nerf the damage which is the last thing we need right now.

Dumb assumption.

No I am the Rev main here, it's only fair to mention that you can't even play condi anymore because any bit of poison absolutely wrecks the legend. You have no idea of how it is and to think Resistance prior was that OP is sure as hell funny. It wasn't, your condi spam into Infuse Light 3 ticks was the real issue.

I don't care if I have to play with condition damage modifiers because that's how I've always played it, the only reason why I had to pick the Resistance trait was because not having it would have always your healing 33% less effective even at the highest risk to have the highest reward which is almost impossible now because Resistance is no longer the same, you are quite literally murdering yourself by trying to play with Pain Absorption in a teamfight as every Resistance traits are useless due to low duration from past patches and effects not being any useful to poison, the thing more common than bleeding and in a sigil that even power builds tend to pick, playing Mallyx is literally throwing, you're not useful for anything and you're killing yourself by just playing properly.

Meanwhile Necromancers haven't had their traits, clears or gameplay mechanics modified in the slightest when it comes to conditions, yet majority can't pin point why they're so stupidly strong as of late.

Poison affects every classes that used to rely on Resistance for any decent healing in the spam. Not just Mallyx, that is also Warrior most notably.

"Nondamaging condition effects on you are currently ineffective, stacks duration." Should be how the boon really is while affecting poison modifiers.

Edited by Shao.7236
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Shao.7236 said:

Dumb assumption.

No I am the Rev main here, it's only fair to mention that you can't even play condi anymore because any bit of poison absolutely wrecks the legend. You have no idea of how it is and to think Resistance prior was that OP is sure as hell funny. It wasn't, your condi spam into Infuse Light 3 ticks was the real issue.

I don't care if I have to play with condition damage modifiers because that's how I've always played it, the only reason why I had to pick the Resistance trait was because not having it would have always your healing 33% less effective even at the highest risk to have the highest reward which is almost impossible now because Resistance is no longer the same, you are quite literally murdering yourself by trying to play with Pain Absorption in a teamfight as every Resistance traits are useless due to low duration from past patches and effects not being any useful to poison, the thing more common than bleeding and in a sigil that even power builds tend to pick, playing Mallyx is literally throwing, you're not useful for anything and you're killing yourself by just playing properly.

Meanwhile Necromancers haven't had their traits, clears or gameplay mechanics modified in the slightest when it comes to conditions, yet majority can't pin point why they're so stupidly strong as of late.

Poison affects every classes that used to rely on Resistance for any decent healing in the spam. Not just Mallyx, that is also Warrior most notably.

you act like poison single-handedly makes your builds not viable, and you just have to go out of your way to deal with it, cleanse it. Poof its gone. Resist prior to changes was overpowered as kitten, and condi rev just made a joke out of the game with spamming it to kitten while also having it give power damage reduction, absolute circus.
Warrior doesnt give a crap about poison, mending removes it before healing anyways, I havent seen any warrior bother with resistance, other then support warrior with warhorn and revange counter, which it didnt really need its just something it happened to have.
Most builds dont even have poison to begin with, its fairly rare condition, other then ranger and thief you wont see anyone apply it with more then 1 skill, avoid those specific skills, if they have doom sigil, make them waste it. There are tools to dealing with poison without absolute permanent immunity to it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

you act like poison single-handedly makes your builds not viable, and you just have to go out of your way to deal with it, cleanse it. Poof its gone. Resist prior to changes was overpowered as kitten, and condi rev just made a joke out of the game with spamming it to kitten while also having it give power damage reduction, absolute circus.
Warrior doesnt give a crap about poison, mending removes it before healing anyways, I havent seen any warrior bother with resistance, other then support warrior with warhorn and revange counter, which it didnt really need its just something it happened to have.
Most builds dont even have poison to begin with, its fairly rare condition, other then ranger and thief you wont see anyone apply it with more then 1 skill, avoid those specific skills, if they have doom sigil, make them waste it. There are tools to dealing with poison without absolute permanent immunity to it.

How clueless are you? Your view is so narrowed down that you forget everything else. Not only does Warrior barely have any Resolution, but it should also be completely glued to Mending because..?  Yeah okay, trying to meme again I guess. I'll tell you what's an absolute circus, not having a counter to something everyone has access to. What does it do? Make everyone use it, so long variety.

"Just clear it™️." How about you just try to play it against any competent players for a change, have yet to hear any of that. Take the core class and go right on ahead, try to be remotely useful as Mallyx in any shape or form of gameplay and "just clear it™️", because Revenant definitely plays like everything else in this game. We can "just clear it™️" effectively in a stance that has no clears in the utility, you mean Staff 4? Yeah I am totally gonna clear Poison when I have 5 different conditions that I "want" on myself so that my healing can be more effective, because that's not a risk in the end of itself, not at all. It's not like I will always be taking damage from all conditions now because Resistance was changed.

Act like I never said that poison modifiers should be affected, not damage. I know you have no other excuses for it, why would you? Because it's an objectively hard fact that Resistance is not useful for anything right now, benefits are trash, durations are trash.

To quote myself: "I don't care if I have to play with condition damage modifiers because that's how I've always played it"

You can keep complaining about the old Resistance, I'm indifferent, I don't care. I even praised multiple times the changes up to the point where Poison modifiers are not affected, that is the biggest gameplay oversight I have seen in any game that's not a bug. I called it from the very start they announced the changes.

However yeah, just dump every skills that doesn't have built-in cleanses because there's one random stack of poison that doesn't even deal damage that requires to be removed by probably a 75 second long cooldown utility rather than just have it countered by a 40 seconds utility that doesn't even nullify damage lmao. Astonishing perspective of balance.

Edited by Shao.7236
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Bewt.9258 changed the title to Make Resistance affect Poison modifiers and Revert Resistance durations
13 hours ago, Shao.7236 said:

By that logic Vulnerability is effectively damage? Yet it's affected by Resistance.

False equivalency, and you know it.

For one, vuln does no damage on its own, and so it is not a damaging condition.

Second, poison does damage on its own.

Third, if you reduce damage by other means to nothing or 0, vuln does nothing.

Four, poison still reduces healing no matter what, effectively damaging that healing (from all sources, that incoming health in reduced or "damaged")

You class is tanky enough for as much DPS as it can put out, and this is just of the things that can help keep things in check.

This was NOT an oversight at all my good man, and you know it.

Read the description to resistance, as it is now.

Nondamaging conditions currently on you are ineffective; stacks duration.

— In-game description

The real oversight is that poison does not affect barrier and is essentially negated by res traits and transference sigils.

Edited by Crab Fear.1624
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Rune of Resist is definitely underpowered, especially since it was only "broken" on Condi rev due to busted traits on Corruption that allowed perma-resist. 

I've found that Rune of Hoelbrak ( -10% incoming condi damage ) or Rune of Divinity ( Free 10% health bonus ) are now better for dealing with Condi builds than Rune of Resist is now. Kind of sad tbh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

False equivalency, and you know it.

For one, vuln does no damage on its own, and so it is not a damaging condition.

Second, poison does damage on its own.

Third, if you reduce damage by other means to nothing or 0, vuln does nothing.

Four, poison still reduces healing no matter what, effectively damaging that healing (from all sources, that incoming health in reduced or "damaged")

You class is tanky enough for as much DPS as it can put out, and this is just of the things that can help keep things in check.

This was NOT an oversight at all my good man, and you know it.

Read the description to resistance, as it is now.

Nondamaging conditions currently on you are ineffective; stacks duration.

— In-game description

The real oversight is that poison does not affect barrier and is essentially negated by res traits and transference sigils.

All damaging conditions have no statistical side effect outside Poison. It's not false equivalency, it is quite literally a modifier that is fully effective like a non damaging condition as not even the condition damage is being required for Poison to be any good.

No matter how you twist it, it's a non damaging factor that affects a greater picture like a non damaging condition by just merely existing. It doesn't "hurt" the healing as in damaging the player health with condition damage, that's such a bs statement, Poison doesn't do more damage with it's modifier like Confusion or Torment does with their specific requirements. All damaging conditions directly affects the health, to say that -33% directly affects it like damage because the healing is reduced is quite /literally/ saying Vulnerability affects health because you'll take more of any damage type based on a modifier, or saying Chill is damaging your ability to heal in the same time frame which directly affects the health.

You're opening such a big fat loop hole by saying this, impossible to put together. They by default are modifiers that works the same way as each other. Because Poison ticks damage doesn't mean /anything/ for it's side effect that is based under the same principle of other non damaging conditions.

The damage can pulse for thousands of ticks for all I care but my healing shouldn't be affected if I got Resistance. That's how it was before and that's how it should still be instead of breaking the game in half, it's one of the most common random condition that screws over way too much to be let loose as useless as Resistance has become. The boon doesn't last forever, certainly not after being nerfed so many times and it is something people have to invest into and can be countered by fair means.

Most poison is not even traited or invested in and last over 10 seconds typically, that's more than enough to screw a lot of passive healing, as it should be doing because Resistance is not /permanent/.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Shao.7236 said:

By that logic Vulnerability is effectively damage? Yet it's affected by Resistance.

Not an equivalent. 

Not healing is damage.

I'm not bothering with your long winded explanations because you are ignoring this fact and trying to sweep it under the rug.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

Not an equivalent. 

Not healing is damage.

I'm not bothering with your long winded explanations because you are ignoring this fact and trying to sweep it under the rug.

Not healing is not damage. It's a modifier, as I covered based on your logic like two times.

"Chill is damaging your ability to heal in the same time frame which directly affects the health"

"Vulnerability affects health because you'll take more of any damage type based on a modifier"

Because Poison ticks damage doesn't make it any special to keep influencial modifiers.

13 minutes ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

Ask them to remove doom sigils

No, how about we increase the options instead by not leaving Resistance as useless as it is, thanks.

You make Resistance nullify Poison modifier, you basically buff all Healing Skills and introduce more depth in the game

Or

You remove Sigil of Doom, you remove another option and still keep have a majority of the Healing Skills be useless because Poison will still be prevalent. No depth added, no complexity because Poison simply dominates. Cleansing is not an option when it can be so easily reapplied or covered.

See.

It's not difficult to interrupt Healing Skills and it would beyond screw with players even more if they rely on Resistance to keep it effective, more layers more fun, more skill. Simple.

Edited by Shao.7236
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Shao.7236 said:

Not healing is not damage. It's a modifier, as I covered based on your logic like two times.

"Chill is damaging your ability to heal in the same time frame which directly affects the health"

"Vulnerability affects health because you'll take more of any damage type based on a modifier"

Because Poison ticks damage doesn't make it any special to keep influencial modifiers.

No, how about we increase the options instead by not leaving Resistance as useless as it is, thanks.

You make Resistance nullify Poison modifier, you basically buff all Healing Skills and introduce more depth in the game

Or

You remove Sigil of Doom, you remove another option and still keep have a majority of the Healing Skills be useless because Poison will still be prevalent. No depth added, no complexity because Poison simply dominates. Cleansing is not an option when it can be so easily reapplied or covered.

See.

It's not difficult to interrupt Healing Skills and it would beyond screw with players even more if they rely on Resistance to keep it effective, more layers more fun, more skill. Simple.

You would have for example 3000 healing received, and poison makes that 2000.

It prevents your health from being regained, by removing it.

That is effectively 1000 damage on you.

All your other conditions listed that are effected do not provide anything like this, and also do not have their first effect as damage.

I don't think we can agree.

Also, I knew....KNEW.....you would say no to the sigil idea because the obvious reasons as not many classes have lots of access to Resistance,  so kind of benefits ....you

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

You would have for example 3000 healing received, and poison makes that 2000.

It prevents your health from being regained, by removing it.

That is effectively 1000 damage on you.

All your other conditions listed that are effected do not provide anything like this, and also do not have their first effect as damage.

I don't think we can agree.

Also, I knew....KNEW.....you would say no to the sigil idea because the obvious reasons as not many classes have lots of access to Resistance,  so kind of benefits ....you

You didn't do the damage, it's a modifier.

Preventing has several meanings, back to the Chill argument. I hurt you for 6,026 because you didn't get to use it again in time.

It's not damage, it's a modifier. You're not HEALING by REDUCING damage. Same applies here.

Which came first, this or that? Doesn't matter because it's a modifier.

Nah we can't because the logic is flawed dude.

Oh yeah dude, Revenant is definitely the same as everything else but with more Resistance. It doesn't have to deal with anything else at all. 1 second of Resistance every 5 second? That's waaaaaay more than what Warrior, Guardian or even Ranger can get. So much much much more!

Edited by Shao.7236
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/31/2021 at 10:05 PM, Shao.7236 said:

You didn't do the damage, it's a modifier.

Preventing has several meanings, back to the Chill argument. I hurt you for 6,026 because you didn't get to use it again in time.

It's not damage, it's a modifier. You're not HEALING by REDUCING damage. Same applies here.

Which came first, this or that? Doesn't matter because it's a modifier.

Nah we can't because the logic is flawed dude.

Oh yeah dude, Revenant is definitely the same as everything else but with more Resistance. It doesn't have to deal with anything else at all. 1 second of Resistance every 5 second? That's waaaaaay more than what Warrior, Guardian or even Ranger can get. So much much much more!

Well, he's not wrong to be honest. I'm impartial to this discussion, but i want to shed some light on this particular thing here...that there are many relations you can make in the game that at first seem incomparable, but after analyzing deep enough you can make a relation.

Aegis and Protection can both be thought of as "preventative healing" where by preventing or reducing damage you would have taken, is essentially the same as healing that amount. I use this technique a lot to evaluate a variety of skills in terms of just pure healing.

Likewise, poison can be thought of in a similar way. It's not an easy relation to break down, but you can follow it by doing what I like to call "exchanges" where opponents simply use skills in discrete intervals. The outcome of that exchange is gonna just be a number, which you can then use to determine some kind of information. 

Here's an example of an exchange.

Player A dealt 5000 damage to Player B

Player B healed for 3000.

The result of that exchange would be 2000 damage. If player B has 20,000 Health, and each interval is 1 second, then Player B dies in 10 second.

If player B is effected by Poison, than you could show the exchange in two ways :

Player A deals 5000 damage to Player B

Player B heals for 3000 - 1000.

or

Player A deals 5000+1000 damage to Player B

Player B heals for 3000.

The 2nd relation is not as obvious as the first relation...but they are both equivalent and therefor relatable. The result of both exchanges is Player B takes 3000 damage. If Player B has 20,000 Health and each interval is 1 second, then player B dies in 6.6 seconds. 

Again since the two are actually equal, the relation is completely valid. The same relation can be made with vulnerability*...chill...weakness...there's actually tons of things you can compare when you think about it in terms of discrete intervals. If you were to take it within a continuum limit, it can be though of as a precise relation. The technique doesn't work for all things like stability or Immobilize...but in theory, a supercomputer can do it and essentially squash the game into strictly a single numerical relation.

Edit: *About Vulnerability specifically. Vulnerability is nested within a damage equation, which has to be taken into consideration when you make an exchange like this. A player with 25 stacks of vulnerability, doesn't actually take 25% more global damage...they take damage in accordance with the damage equation...which, in theory you can calculate and place into an exchange too (because all it is, is just a math problem)...it's just far more complicated in practice, than a simple + or - operation like above. 

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Well, he's not wrong to be honest. I'm impartial to this discussion, but i want to shed some light on this particular thing here...that there are many relations you can make in the game that at first seem incomparable, but after analyzing deep enough you can make a relation.

Aegis and Protection can both be thought of as "preventative healing" where by preventing or reducing damage you would have taken, is essentially the same as healing that amount. I use this technique a lot to evaluate a variety of skills in terms of just pure healing.

Likewise, poison can be thought of in a similar way. It's not an easy relation to break down, but you can follow it by doing what I like to call "exchanges" where opponents simply use skills in discrete intervals. The outcome of that exchange is gonna just be a number, which you can then use to determine some kind of information. 

Here's an example of an exchange.

Player A dealt 5000 damage to Player B

Player B healed for 3000.

The result of that exchange would be 2000 damage. If player B has 20,000 Health, and each interval is 1 second, then Player B dies in 10 second.

If player B is effected by Poison, than you could show the exchange in two ways :

Player A deals 5000 damage to Player B

Player B heals for 3000 - 1000.

or

Player A deals 5000+1000 damage to Player B

Player B heals for 3000.

The 2nd relation is not as obvious as the first relation...but they are both equivalent and therefor relatable. The result of both exchanges is Player B takes 3000 damage. If Player B has 20,000 Health and each interval is 1 second, then player B dies in 6.6 seconds. 

Again since the two are actually equal, the relation is completely valid. The same relation can be made with vulnerability*...chill...weakness...there's actually tons of things you can compare when you think about it in terms of discrete intervals. If you were to take it within a continuum limit, it can be though of as a precise relation. The technique doesn't work for all things like stability or Immobilize...but in theory, a supercomputer can do it and essentially squash the game into strictly a single numerical relation.

Edit: *About Vulnerability specifically. Vulnerability is nested within a damage equation, which has to be taken into consideration when you make an exchange like this. A player with 25 stacks of vulnerability, doesn't actually take 25% more global damage...they take damage in accordance with the damage equation...which, in theory you can calculate and place into an exchange too (because all it is, is just a math problem)...it's just far more complicated in practice, than a simple + or - operation like above. 

I appreciate the thought as much I gave myself to it, all conditions have some form of counter to it outside cleansing, Poison still being exempt of having the same amount of counters as other damaging/non damaging conditions because it deals damage shouldn't matter. Afterall it is an effect that doesn't require condition damage to be effective, just like non damaging conditions.

It's an anomaly in the reasoning of Resistance, it breaks the game in several areas with Resistance.