More Underwater Content [Cave Diving]

I do a little underwater cave diving  (in Texas) which is not for the claustriphobic. I would LOVE to see Guild Wars install vast underwater caves, the kind you get lost in , in real life, and can easily drown. Reality features like labyrinths which are easy to get lost in (sort of like a jumping puzzle but for underwater adventures). YouTube is replete with  cave diving video's which can easily demonstrate the potential fun, mystery and danger of such activities. Imagine barely squeazing between two rock outcroppings which easily disorient you IRL, especially when your fins kick up silt that muddy the water and make safe cave diving unsafe. Going too deap (~ 100 m) can easily send the diver into nitrogen narcosis which could be a cool feature for a video game. I'd so like to see a Jacob's Well or a Peackock's Diving Hole or the vast number of Blue Hole diving labyrinths that populate the world. It's just a pipe dream so thank you for letting me ramble on. 

Conrad 🙂

• Like 5

There is one that I can think of already, in Tangled Depths.

Part of the problem is the camera. Confined spaces and the camera can be problematic.

Plus GW2 isn't a reality-survival-type game. Magic somewhat invalidates that. Have you tried removing your aquabreather and slipping underwater?

• Like 1

There's an underwater minidungeon on one of the Orr maps.  I forgot which one as I did it very long ago.  It may not be as sprawling as you like, but I'm pointing it out just in case you don't already know about it.

As for adding more, I'm always down for exploration.  I do enjoy wandering around, getting lost, and trying to figure out where I need to go.  I also know that if I'm lost in an enclosed area, there must be a chest around somewhere (I'm a skritt like that, all about the shinies).

Interesting idea!  Prefer not to drown as I am spoiled on my magical breather, but a cool cave system would be interesting.  As mentioned, there are some, but a more extensive one might be fun.  I enjoy just random exploring, and like underwater a bit more since the addition of skimmer going under now.  I'd just ask to please not link it to something mandatory, but more as a fun achievement.  Lol and yes some treasure chests for all the inner skritts.

• Like 2

I could go for this.  The trick would be to intersperse caves with air pockets to truly give it that magical lost feeling.  They could really use all three dimensions doing something like this.  Sounds like fun. 

Edited by nopoet.2960
  • Like 1

One thing I've always missed (because I do dive)  about using underwater breathers in GW2 is the almost mechanical rhythmic inhale and exhale sound you get when you dive for real. It is very hard to describe why it is so appealing. Maybe it is the audio cue that is the literal thread to you and your lifeline. Maybe I'm asking for too much but the respiration sounds underwater make the dive an adventure like no other. To take that thought to its inevitable conclusion, the "thunk" you hear when your air is exhaused , and being underwater when this happens can be an indescribable terror. A well planned dive is all about eliminating such hazards. To make a long story endless, adding such a dimension to underwater exploration in Guild Wars 2 might give the experience an altogether different and realistic tone. I realize that making underwater excursions to simulate a SCUBA experience is way beyond the scope of the game. However, once again, thank you for letting me ramble and I value your input more than you realize.

Conrad 🙂 

Edited by Michael Conrad.6704

Underwater is complete trash. Even anet knows it, with the weapons hitting like limp dinks the same way world objects do (another much touted but totally failed part of the game).

We have the dive skimmer now to avoid it almost completely., in much the same way underwater fractal is avoided: like a garbage barge that's burning.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

Underwater is complete trash. Even anet knows it, with the weapons hitting like limp dinks the same way world objects do (another much touted but totally failed part of the game).

We have the dive skimmer now to avoid it almost completely., in much the same way underwater fractal is avoided: like a garbage barge that's burning.

I sort of agree with you LSD and that is why I am making these suggestions to enhance its appeal. I love going in super clear water that has a lot of depth to it. There are some regions (Timberline Falls, Gendarran Fields and Caledon Forest that have pretty cool swimming holes. 

There are also some cave diving areas (Gendarran Fields has a COOL cave diving puzzle)  in the former two of those maps that might light your pilot light with respect to diving. Anyhow, I hope you change your mind :-).

1 hour ago, LSD.4673 said:

The best thing they did imo was move away from underwater content. It may have been fine had they properly supported it, along with properly supporting functional builds underwater, but they never did anything with it.

At this point they would have to overhaul -everything- involved in underwater content, and..well...will they? i dont know.

Edited by Dante.1763

4 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Underwater isn't trash but it does need a rework having only 3 weapon doesn't offer a enough choice and maintening boon is harder. More weapon choice/reworking them or adding underwater elit spec could make it way better but i can't see anet base an expac on underwater combat.

• Like 1

I like this idea

i always thought they could make underwater mini content to explore the ruins of GW1 locations/buildings/artifacts. 

Maybe even a weapon set to explore them, like an under water torch for dark passages or a cipher to translate worn inscriptions. Something simple, there is a lot of cool lore they can stick under water 

Edited by Eric.7813
  • Like 2