Seperate armor type from cosmetic appearance armor type + create future Outfits as the armor type that fits its design best

Please (in the upcoming xpac) seperate armor type from cosmetic appearance armor type.

I know we will never be able to mix and match, but that is not what I am asking for.

All you have to do is enable what the wardrobe preview already does, where you can preview heavy armor on an elementalist for example but you cant mix and match armor types.

This feature should not be impossible to code, since again, the wardrobe already does it and it works.

By putting in the inital work (which I would hope isn't that much) you would give many players TONS of new items suddenly and hundreds of hours of gameplay time to hunt the cosmetics down that suddenly became relevant to a huge portion of players, due to lifting cometic armor restrictions. 

Additionally, Outfits.

GW2 is for many (if not most) players a game revolving around cosmetic items and how you can customize them.

Outfits really mess with that core game pillar and are a huge letdown for many players due to how restrictive they are when it comes to customization.

I understand why they were released though. The 3 armor types mean that you would have to craft 3 different armors and only 1/3 of players would probably buy one of them (for their heavy armor main for example).

So you want to save money and time and give 100% of players and classes access to the outfit, but it comes at a cost of customization.

You also want to not restrict your creativity and designs to the specific armor type formula (stuck with trenchcoat etc).

But once you lift the restrictions in that way, you can find the armor type design that best fits the "outfit" you want to create, you can then create it as armor pieces and all players will be able to buy it and mix and match it with the corresponding armor type.

I think this would be such a big thing for you to do. It wouldn't be much more work but would make players really happy and I imagine increase sales a lot.

And in the current game I dont see any downsides to this at all, since with outfits you see many Charr warriors in wedding dresses and with fov obstructing wings charging into battle anyways.

So, if anything players would start to use more armor again, instead of  halloween outfits or whatever, which in my book is another win for the game.

Edited by Adenin.5973
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Dante.1763 said:

When it comes to outfits, they function as a fourth armor weight, and im not sure they are made to be split off. From what i remember any "Armor" piece that gets made to look like it came from an outfit is an entirely new item they had to make.

Yes and I do not expect them to redo all old outfits. I just want them essentially in the future to make armor instead of outfits.

And them lifting cosmetic armor type restriction would basically be the prerequisite to do away with outfits and release armors again

1 minute ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

As long as you are happy getting FAR less armour than we do outfits at the moment. 

And why would that be the case? Anet right now creates one outfit.

Anet in the future would create one armor.

So why do we get FAR less?

Can you explain  your statement pls?

1 minute ago, Adenin.5973 said:

Due to not being split up outfits are far faster to make.

1 minute ago, Adenin.5973 said:

There have been many, many threads and posts on this, so Sigmoid was just summing up common knowledge.  To wit, the reason they moved to churning out outfits is that each armor set can take a year to make.  The reasons it takes so long have been posted in these forums many times, so you should be able to search them out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Due to not being split up outfits are far faster to make.

Split up, you mean in armor pieces?

I dont think that is true though and never heard anything official about that.

Yes maybe you need to create more different ingame icons for the armor pieces for example, yes you probably have to export it in several different files and projects in whatever tool they use to create armor etc.

But FAR less?

Sry, makes no sense to me whatseover.

Think a moment about how you create an armor, how it starts as a days, weeks long process of concept art etc.

Exporting the shoulders then as a seperate item? The legs and helmet etc? THAT is what will net us then like 1 armor vs 5 outfits?

Nope not buying that argument.

Edited by Adenin.5973
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

You're probably getting short answers because forum veterans are sick of this topic coming up frequently. 

Search is your friend.

I do not come to search for answers but to raise awareness once again.

That's how game forums work, you have to bring something up until it either finally happens or the company itself flatout says it will never happen.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Adenin.5973 said:

Because outfits take less time to produce than armour due to being its own dedicated 4th weight and not having to interact with any other armour. 

Whether you accept it or not Anet has flat out told us, on a few different occasions, not only armour is expensive to make, it also takes far longer to make than outfits.

We have had all the arguments "I don't care about clipping" , "other things already clip so its fine" etc yet when this get released and they clip there are a bunch of complaints about it.

Also I'm sure someone, with 0 experience working in Anet, is going to pop in an say a) Anet are lying since they do something similar and it should be easy , b) Anet is just being lazy , c) it should be easy since its just breaking things up.

I also remember in the past threads "I would be willing to pay 3~500 gets an item if they did this!! They are missing out on money" but iirc the time they did this the forum was awash with "Why are you charging so much for this armour set in the cash shop?!", "Look at this money grab" etc. 

There is a lot more but as others have said this topic is OLD. You could find pretty much every single iteration of this topic by using the search function. 

Edit: In the time it took me to cover summaries all the common things you literally typed and brought up them all. Almost poetic...

"Exporting the shoulders then as a seperate item? The legs and helmet etc? THAT is what will net us then like 1 armor vs 5 outfits?"

Now think about the time it takes to make sure that fits either every single other armour in the game or of a particular weight, instead of just itself, then multiply that by all races and maybe you will have a picture of the difference in dev time. If this means nothing to you then there isn't much hope for you to understand why things are the way the are ant why Anet has made the choices they have. 

You aren't raising awareness, you are beating a dead horse on something Anet has spoken out about. 

Best of luck but ... well anyone who has been around for a while knows how this is going to end. 

Edited by Sigmoid.7082
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

Because outfits take less time to produce than armour due to being its own dedicated 4th weight and not having to interact with any other armour. 

Whether you accept it or not Anet has flat out told us, on a few different occasions, not only armour is expensive to make, it also takes far longer to make than outfits.

We have had all the arguments "I don't care about clipping" , "other things already clip so its fine" etc yet when this get released and they clip there are a bunch of complaints about it.

Also I'm sure someone, with 0 experience working in Anet, is going to pop in an say a) Anet are lying since they do something similar and it should be easy , b) Anet is just being lazy , c) it should be easy since its just breaking things up.

I also remember in the past threads "I would be willing to pay 3~500 gets an item if they did this!! They are missing out on money" but iirc the time they did this the forum was awash with "Why are you charging so much for this armour set in the cash shop?!", "Look at this money grab" etc. 

There is a lot more but as others have said this topic is OLD. You could find pretty much every single iteration of this topic by using the search function. 

Edit: In the time it took me to cover summaries all the common things you literally typed and brought up them all. Almost poetic...

You aren't raising awareness, you are beating a dead horse on something Anet has spoken out about. 

Best of luck but ... well anyone who has been around for a while knows how this is going to end. 

I asked for the same thing I am asking now 2 times before over the past 3-4 years. 

I know we probably dont get what I want but it doesn't cost me anything to ask,   so that's exactly what I am doing.

Also, outfits is just the secondary part of my "suggestion".

I literally see no reasons for cosmetic armor type restrictions (not taling about mix&match), unless they have a complete mess of spaghetti code and revenant class would delete itself when you flag it for more than one cometic armor appearance type

Edited by Adenin.5973

3 minutes ago, Adenin.5973 said:

I asked for the same thing I am asking now 2 times before over the past 3-4 years. 

I know we probably dont get what I want but it doesn't cost me anything to ask,   so that's exactly what I am doing.

Also, outfits is just the secondary part of my "suggestion".

I literally see no reasons for cosmetic armor type restrictions (not taling about mix&match), unless they have a complete mess of spaghetti code and revenant class would delete itself when you flag it for more than one armor type

They do actually.

Light, Medium and heavy armors(Along with outfits) each have their own rigging points, that coincide with each of the skeletons on the different characters. they are -All- Different for each armor weight.

Their spaghetti code causes lots of issues like this, but it was a design decision made before the game was even announced, years before. <- From anet DEV forever ago on the forums, i dont recall who it was though.

15 minutes ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

So you don't understand what he's asking for then. He wants A-Net to make armor skins exclusively for that "4th weight" from now on.

4 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

They do actually.

Light, Medium and heavy armors(Along with outfits) each have their own rigging points, that coincide with each of the skeletons on the different characters. they are -All- Different for each armor weight.

Their spaghetti code causes lots of issues like this, but it was a design decision made before the game was even announced, years before. <- From anet DEV forever ago on the forums, i dont recall who it was though.

But again, I am not talking about mixing and matching armor types.

I am talking about what the wardrobe already does. You preview heavy armor on ANY class.

JUST heavy armor, no mix and match, just light armor, no mix and match, just medium armor, no mix and match.

So, whether or not there are differen skeletons or rigging points, doesn't matter.

Same thing that the wardrobe does right now atm ingame

Edit: more specifically talking about the wardrobe preview system

Edited by Adenin.5973

2 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

So you don't understand what he's asking for then. He wants A-Net to make armor skins exclusively for that "4th weight" from now on.

Pretty much has the same problem.  Just starting with a clean slate, but the issue will be the same.

2 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

No it doesn't as he already said that he doesn't care about "mixing with the old stuff".

Never mentioned mixing with the old stuff in the post you are replying to but ok. None of that prevents the issue that causes armour to take so long to make, you just now have a 4th weight to work in. 

Edited by Sigmoid.7082

21 minutes ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

Never mentioned mixing with the old stuff in the post you are replying to but ok

Then there are no issues and you never had a point to begin with.

21 minutes ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

None of that prevents the issue that causes armour to take so long to make, you just now have a 4th weight to work in. 

Technically no but practically yes as this way everyone would have access to 3 sets instead of only the one for their current weight class for every new content release.

Edited by Tails.9372

1 minute ago, Tails.9372 said:

I did and my point still stands though its fine if it wasn't understood. 

Anyways I know where this conversation and topic are going so I'm not getting any more involved. 

I can see lifting the armor weight requirement for cosmetic purposes--it's similar to how they lift weapon restrictions based on what specialization you are; but on the flip side that does create thematic problems, an elementalist decked out in heavy chainmail is no good.  

The outfit idea would require a ton of work just to split one outfit out into separate pieces.  I'm not sure where splitting one piece out into multiple constitutes trivial work.  

Also these systems have been in place since GW1, going on some 16 years ago...why would they change now? 

Tbh, this is one of the mysteries of GW2, why weights are still restricted per class instead of just allowing us to equip any single weight (ie all light or all medium or all heavy, for full compatability avoiding any existing rigging issues). They have "unrestricted" pretty much everything else over the years. 

I mean sure one could argue "thats a warrior, he have to wear heavy armor to be visually recognized as such!" during the vanilla era but with the addition of outfits and the fact most people now look like walking christmas trees, there's really no argument to be had.

8 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Technically no but practically yes as this way everyone would have access to 3 sets instead of only the one for their current weight class for every new content release.

I find it funny you think they would create 3 sets for this new armor tier.

It would be 1 set per release mate.

Maybe, a relatively static model can exhibit a different armor weight, no problem.

The issue may be that getting that other-weight armor to act as it should during animations.  No idea, really.

I'd think if it was easy, and gave good ROI, that the Devs would have created 'separated' Outfit pieces for every armor weight long ago. 

Also, if these 'new' separate Outfit pieces 'would not mix with the old stuff', it would be some time before there were any pieces to mix. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234