Lyssa in real life

Rognik.2579

So I was just watching some TV before bed, trying to relax and go to sleep, when apparently the character Lyssa appeared there. I was a bit shocked, and did my research to learn that she was indeed a Greek figure, if a very minor one. Lyssa - Wikipedia

If seems that she's listed as, essentially, the goddess of madness, which does seem to fit very well with her Tyrian counterpart, the goddess of deception and illusion. Anybody think we can learn something from this small nugget of info? Or is it far too vague to be useful.

Any other RL connections people know to the other gods? I know "Balthazar" is a name thrown around, but I don't think there's a definitive one. I think Ascalon was a biblical city. That's about it for me.

5 hours ago, Rognik.2579 said:

Any other RL connections people know to the other gods? I know "Balthazar" is a name thrown around, but I don't think there's a definitive one. I think Ascalon was a biblical city. That's about it for me.

On spanic world "baltazar"(without H) is a common first name not related to any god, if a person is called balthazar is something normal like a "Richard" in Anglo-Saxon world. But more related to older people, younger people have less that name.

Some semitics gods have "bel" or "bal" + something name variations, its seems a common prefix for gods names.

Of course due to biblical influence these pagans gods started being called "demons". Theres a biblical king named Belsazar, i dont know what iss anglisized form of this name, but portuguese wiki says belsazar or baltazar means "god protect the king". basically bal = god in semitic lang, and "zar" mean "king".

Belsazar ou Baltazar (em hebraico: בלשצר; em grego clássico: Μπελζαζάρ; em acádio: 𒂗𒈗𒋀; romaniz.: Bel-shar-usur , lit. "Bel proteja o rei") foi o último rei kitten Babilônia.[1] Ele era o filho mais velho de Nabonido.[2] A Lista de reis kitten Babilônia menciona Belsazar como rei kitten Babilônia, sendo o co-regente de Nabonido, que reinou por dezessete anos.

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belsazar

Also theres a character in constantine where balthazar is a demon, theres more references for this name origins here. 

https://constantine.fandom.com/wiki/Balthazar

Edited by ugrakarma.9416

Goddess of Madness to me sounds like you must carry madness and operate normally at the same time..

like Goddess of Madness = ruler of Madness.

and which among from all the races is associated with high mental activities and capabilities to the point that they invent out-of-this-world stuffs, making Drones(Golems), practicing alchemy which involves lots of encryption/formulaes/puzzles?

of course the Asuras...

Edited by alcopaul.2156

Funny how all Gods are turning against the mortals of Tyria. 

The Gods are darker than what they seem, for example Dwayna is of Gaelic origin and it means "Dark", Abaddon in Hebrew mythology is the angel of Destruction, Balthazar a demonic name. 

I have a feeling the whole pantheon will turn against us in the future, because we will be blamed for the deaths of two of them.

Edited by Touchme.1097
Grammar correction

54 minutes ago, Touchme.1097 said:

Well, they aren't.

The only gods who turned against mortals were Abbadon and Balthazar. Dwayna, Melandru, Grenth, and Kormir, have not. And we don't know what Lyssa is up to, though nothing has suggested she is against mortals.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Well, they aren't.

The only gods who turned against mortals were Abbadon and Balthazar. Dwayna, Melandru, Grenth, and Kormir, have not. And we don't know what Lyssa is up to, though nothing has suggested she is against mortals.

I am just speculating here. Who knows what the writers are planning to do in the future. I see the conflict as an inevitable consequence. We'll see

10 hours ago, Rognik.2579 said:

If seems that she's listed as, essentially, the goddess of madness, which does seem to fit very well with her Tyrian counterpart, the goddess of deception and illusion. Anybody think we can learn something from this small nugget of info? Or is it far too vague to be useful.

deception is clearly encryption when the word "deception" is sanitized..

Edited by alcopaul.2156

On 8/10/2021 at 1:34 AM, Rognik.2579 said:

If seems that she's listed as, essentially, the goddess of madness, which does seem to fit very well with her Tyrian counterpart, the goddess of deception and illusion.

I think calling her a "goddess of deception" is, itself, a deception. Since she's the goddess of beauty, who's lessons to humans is to see past illusions, to look beyond deceptions. Pretty opposite to a being of madness or trickery.

This is even moreso in GW1, which would be closer to the inspiration taking ArenaNet got. Balthazar doesn't really fit his source material either, so I don't think there's much we can take off of it.

But ArenaNet took a lot of biblical and Greek naming inspiration - with little to no other relation.

On 8/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, Touchme.1097 said:

The Gods are darker than what they seem, for example Dwayna is of Gaelic origin and it means "Dark", Abaddon in Hebrew mythology is the angel of Destruction, Balthazar a demonic name. 

I have a feeling the whole pantheon will turn against us in the future, because we will be blamed for the deaths of two of them.

Its a very illogical route, because these deaths have their support, Komir dont tried stop us from killing Balthazar, and same for Abbadon.

Unless the writers give to the remaning gods a typical greek god "script" where theyre very capricious.

4 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

Its a very illogical route, because these deaths have their support, Komir dont tried stop us from killing Balthazar, and same for Abbadon.

Unless the writers give to the remaning gods a typical greek god "script" where theyre very capricious.

The Gods never helped mortals killing Balthazar, they retreated leaving us to deal with the disgraced God. The reason why they stripped Balthazar of his Godhood was actually to protect themselves because he threatened the other Gods who disagreed with him with his plan on killing the Elder Dragons.

Kormir herself was pretty angry when the commander asked the God to intervene in the war against Balthazar and the Elder Dragons. So she was pretty neutral despite being a mortal before turning into a Goddess.

I think what's really likely to happen is the Gods would turn evil similarly to how Angels turned evil against mortals in the Diablo franchise because mortals are an increasing threat to the Gods existence.

Edited by Touchme.1097

40 minutes ago, Touchme.1097 said:

The Gods never helped mortals killing Balthazar, they retreated leaving us to deal with the disgraced God. The reason why they stripped Balthazar of his Godhood was actually to protect themselves because he threatened the other Gods who disagreed with him with his plan on killing the Elder Dragons.

Kormir herself was pretty angry when the commander asked the God to intervene in the war against Balthazar and the Elder Dragons. So she was pretty neutral despite being a mortal before turning into a Goddess.

I think what's really likely to happen is the Gods would turn evil similarly to how Angels turned evil against mortals in the Diablo franchise because mortals are an increasing threat to the Gods existence.

its a possible route but is a very cliché(and boring),

also Gods showed that, they can just, "run away"(their option to deal with Elder Dragons). So why they will feel threatened by mortals?

The only possible route, is they become angry not about killing other gods, but about us messing up the mists, their realms destroyed by Kralkatorrik, and some way they will blame us for that too,..,

Saint Seya endend in this...

Edited by ugrakarma.9416

9 hours ago, Touchme.1097 said:

Kormir herself was pretty angry when the commander asked the God to intervene in the war against Balthazar and the Elder Dragons.

That would most likely be due to her having quite fond memory of what happens when gods fight. Not because of her being angry at a concept of balthazar getting slain. Especially since she herself points out that the "solution is within your reach" hinting at the sword we then use to defeat balthazar.

Revelation 9:11 
New International Version
They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon and in Greek is Apollyon (that is, Destroyer).

So Abaddon is a Hebrew name

anddddddddddddddddd

DX9 TO DX11

GG.
Edited by alcopaul.2156
  • Confused 1

Revelation 9:7-10

The locusts looked like horses prepared for battle. On their heads they wore something like crowns of gold, and their faces resembled human faces. Their hair was like women’s hair, and their teeth were like lions’ teeth. They had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the thundering of many horses and chariots rushing into battle. 10 They had tails with stingers, like scorpions, and in their tails they had power to torment people for five months. 

Visualize this when the locusts equates to Tengus that has the composite animal (snake) applied..

• Confused 1