Ranger Pet Store?

Garn.7502

Finding ranger pets is a hassle for people that love the class and decided to make another ranger toon. I was wondering if would it work well if there was like a pet store buy the pets from with karma points or some other in-game currency. What do you think?

@kharmin.7683 said:Sorry, no, I disagree. Pets shouldn't be this easy to obtain or unlock.

Is it because it would kill the immersion of the game?

p.s. we are talking about a situation where you have already discovered all the pets on your main ranger. and then decide to make another ranger toon. so that your new ranger toon doesn't have to go easter egg hunting for the pets all over again.

• 2 weeks later...

@Strider.7849 said:I wish there was a way to get the black moa in GW2. I bought GW1 but dislike the game so much it's a struggle to grind it out even though I want this pet more than any legendary in the game. :anguished:

I know what you mean. But I think it's understandable why Anet made it this way.

Some places you'll never visit. And if you want certain pets, you'll need the Expansions. Otherwise, how would Anet really make any money? I've helped ranger's gain pets from main game and expansions. The only one that was really locked was Tiger in Heart of Thorns. But show up on a sunday in dragonbrand and there will be huge groups at least doing the meta. Be a little easier to get after that.

@KeyOrion.9506 said:Some places you'll never visit. And if you want certain pets, you'll need the Expansions. Otherwise, how would Anet really make any money? I've helped ranger's gain pets from main game and expansions. The only one that was really locked was Tiger in Heart of Thorns. But show up on a sunday in dragonbrand and there will be huge groups at least doing the meta. Be a little easier to get after that.

True. That can be annoying. Sometimes it feels like anet made it that way so getting pets is like trying to get hero points in the maguuma maps to unlock specialization classes. A bit dump imo.

Collecting the pets is part of the fun on Ranger, it's a very unique open world "quest" of sorts that's exclusive to Ranger.

Tbh I wish there were more elements like this in Gw2.

For us long time players there was a time when you would have to actually travel around the world and complete quests, events, Jumping puzzles and other open world things to actually earn/unlock your traits.. or buy them from a profession trainer.I actually loved that change to Gw2 but most people hated it and to be fair for many good reasons so Anet removed it.

I wouldn't want to see pets automatically unlocked on your account once you've tamed them once.. that would diminish one of the things I enjoy about the Ranger.However.. I think Gw2 can take a page out of Gw1's book here and recreate the Zaishen Menagerie feature for Gw2.A small map Rangers can go to where all the pets you've found on one character get unlocked and now roam around freely so your other Rangers can just pop in there and tame whatever pets they want as early as level 2 when they beat the introduction mission.

I think this is something a lot of players regardless of whether they enjoy the quest to find pets or not would like to have as it allows you to access late game pets like Fire Wyvern, Reef Drake and Jacaranda right from the begining of a new character without having to go to HoT, Southsun or PoF.. and you'll have a choice on what pets you want to collect while playing the game and which you just want to skip over and get early and easily.. be that 1 or 2 or all of them.

Getting pets for the first time is fun. But doing it 8 times for each pet is just a chore. Account bound pets would be fine and you still have to do the “quest” once on your first ranger. Maybe if they made future pets harder to obtain but make them account bound. More fun less chore.

@"garngikel.9406" said:Finding ranger pets is a hassle for people that love the class and decided to make another ranger toon. I was wondering if would it work well if there was like a pet store buy the pets from with karma points or some other in-game currency. What do you think?

I don't really follow. You're saying it's a hassle to go to a map, walk up to a pet and press "f"? Considering how few pets are really that worthwhile from a practical standpoint, this hardly seems like any meaningful hassle that developers should have to program a change around. For many other players, going out and finding pets is a big part of the charm, so just having them instantly available (other than in sPvP, of course), would cause more harm than good.

@kiwituatara.6053 said:Getting pets for the first time is fun. But doing it 8 times for each pet is just a chore. Account bound pets would be fine and you still have to do the “quest” once on your first ranger. Maybe if they made future pets harder to obtain but make them account bound. More fun less chore.

That would have the same problem as masteries and achievements then.Can only do them once and never again.

That's the main reason im against the account unlock thing for them and would prefer something like the Menagerie from Gw1.A good chunk of us completed the pet quest years ago and if they were account bound we'd never be able to do it again which is part of the fun of playing a Ranger for some people.

@"garngikel.9406" said:Finding ranger pets is a hassle for people that love the class and decided to make another ranger toon. I was wondering if would it work well if there was like a pet store buy the pets from with karma points or some other in-game currency. What do you think?

Doesnt finding all the decently performing, relevant and useful ones take like an hour at most? The Smokescale being the only one that can be a pain these days. How many pets do you realistaclly use...a dozen tops? Isn't everything else like less than 5 minutes if you decide you want it later?Just doesn't seem like that big an issue.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@kiwituatara.6053 said:Getting pets for the first time is fun. But doing it 8 times for each pet is just a chore. Account bound pets would be fine and you still have to do the “quest” once on your first ranger. Maybe if they made future pets harder to obtain but make them account bound. More fun less chore.

That would have the same problem as masteries and achievements then.Can only do them once and never again.

That's the main reason im against the account unlock thing for them and would prefer something like the Menagerie from Gw1.A good chunk of us completed the pet quest years ago and if they were account bound we'd never be able to do it again which is part of the fun of playing a Ranger for some people.

In GW1 my main was a ranger and I really loved collecting pets and filling the Menagerie. For some reason ranger never clicked with me in GW2. If there ever is a menagerie in GW2 I might give the profession another try.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"kiwituatara.6053" said:Getting pets for the first time is fun. But doing it 8 times for each pet is just a chore. Account bound pets would be fine and you still have to do the “quest” once on your first ranger. Maybe if they made future pets harder to obtain but make them account bound. More fun less chore.Do you actually have 8 Rangers?

https://imgur.com/gallery/OO4NSYH

Yes, all in full ascended since I like to experiment with different builds and sometimes dabble with racial skills. Seriously though, as a theory crafter that enjoys experimenting even with the weakest pets, getting all the pets after the first time on each ranger is definitely not fun.

@kiwituatara.6053 said:

@kiwituatara.6053 said:Getting pets for the first time is fun. But doing it 8 times for each pet is just a chore. Account bound pets would be fine and you still have to do the “quest” once on your first ranger. Maybe if they made future pets harder to obtain but make them account bound. More fun less chore.Do you actually have 8 Rangers?

Without derailing the thread... but I am genuinely curious...What enjoyment do you get playing the same class 8 times? Do you actually play them all? Is it because they are all different characters in your head-cannon or do they all have specific roles/builds/uses?Do you get all the pets on every ranger?Honestly curious here.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@kiwituatara.6053 said:Getting pets for the first time is fun. But doing it 8 times for each pet is just a chore. Account bound pets would be fine and you still have to do the “quest” once on your first ranger. Maybe if they made future pets harder to obtain but make them account bound. More fun less chore.Do you actually have 8 Rangers?

Without derailing the thread... but I am genuinely curious...What enjoyment do you get playing the same class 8 times? Do you actually play them all? Is it because they are all different characters in your head-cannon or do they all have specific roles/builds/uses?Do you get all the pets on every ranger?Honestly curious here.

I only have all the pets on 2 rangers. But the other ones have more than 50% of the pets. I play them all and they all have different builds. Like I said, I dabble with racial skills before. But I also like to swap builds quickly by switching characters rather than swapping out gear and retraiting. This was all before you could save your builds etc. And I still prefer swapping characters instead of dumping all the gear on 1 character.

@kiwituatara.6053 said:

I only have all the pets on 2 rangers. But the other ones have more than 50% of the pets. I play them all and they all have different builds. Like I said, I dabble with racial skills before. But I also like to swap builds quickly by switching characters rather than swapping out gear and retraiting. This was all before you could save your builds etc. And I still prefer swapping characters instead of dumping all the gear on 1 character.I'm the same in that I have three Revs and three Guardians and 2 of each of the rest so I do get it.Do all 8 see active use? (like have you played them more than 15 minutes in the past week)Do you find any of the racial skills actually useful at all? Other than maybe Technobabble I don't see a single one that's of much use.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

I only have all the pets on 2 rangers. But the other ones have more than 50% of the pets. I play them all and they all have different builds. Like I said, I dabble with racial skills before. But I also like to swap builds quickly by switching characters rather than swapping out gear and retraiting. This was all before you could save your builds etc. And I still prefer swapping characters instead of dumping all the gear on 1 character.I'm the same in that I have three Revs and three Guardians and 2 of each of the rest so I do get it.Do all 8 see active use? (like have you played them more than 15 minutes in the past week)Do you find any of the racial skills actually useful at all? Other than maybe Technobabble I don't see a single one that's of much use.

I think 6-7 of my rangers see active use. In terms of racial skills, most of them aren't useful, but still fun to dabble with, though, a lot of them aren't as good anymore since soulbeast came out. I quit 2yrs ago and came back recently. Charrzooka elite skill and bearform were both really good with dmg multipliers. It's really a shame they've nerfed moment of clarity too for technobabble. I do mostly WvW and my builds are usually very far from meta as I find more fun trying to get gimmicks to work even if I don't win my fights.

Just as a side note, currently experimenting with staff. Figured staff is the most consistent weapon at hitting targets with all the projectile denials and cuz its ranged while being less likely to be obstructed. Solar beam damage is about 60% of rapid fire in the same timeframe. You can also fire solarbeam at a 90 degree angle on a target to the side of you, meaning you can kite and damage just by holding down W key. With quickness, the change in animation for solarbeam is near impossible to see and it's also very difficult to see that the numbers are ticking faster, so you can burst people without them knowing. The only downfall is its not great against stealth spamming classes like thieves and mesmers.

Anyways, I'm fine with having to go on quests to find all the pets, but just once is enough.

@kiwituatara.6053 said:Anyways, I'm fine with having to go on quests to find all the pets, but just once is enough.I get that but I figure so few of them are worth getting in the first place by the time you do it the second time around, getting the ones an alt actually wants/needs doesnt take all that long.Anyways I am clearly not as passionate about the class. My alt definitely doesn't need all the pets.

That said, I think @Teratus.2859 has the right idea with the menagerie. Tying that into the Home instance somehow would be great.