So i came back to the game due to Chanta news and happened to get into a training raid and even beat some stuff (never attempted raiding since the first wing came out and my old guild kinda dissolved because we couldnt pass VG). Some observations which probably already have been made but here we go.
Theres alot of story content in there that 90% of players never gonna see and the other 10% who could see it wont give any bleep about to begin with probably.
At the start of the white mantle raid there was a tent with a book, i opened it and theres like 5 sub points with probably even more story behind it. I closed it because the raid leader was explaining stuff and i wasnt gonna read kitten while that was goin on. Id imagine in a normal raid nobody would want to wait while i read about lore either. Later there was some prison with loads of stuff and it looked like you could jump around there. I wasnt even gonna dare waste my training raid partners time by asking them to stand around while i look at stuff and frankly even for myself the priority was getting to the next boss. We barely missed to beat chessman a few times and then it was kinda late and we concluded. Aparently later theres a full FMV explaining what happened to Saul D'Alessio, but eh who wants to see that right (counterpoint was to watch stuff on youtube - suboptimal imo).
Just baffling. Either Anet overestimated the average player or theres just baffling design decisions goin on in regards to what player types enjoy what and how to spend dev time. Dungeons got it right - ez story mode, everybody can see it, more challenging stuff if you want it, nothing wasted. Same with strikes and there they even trimmed the fat where its straight to the boss.
So heres the solution and you dont even need to rebalance boss fights:
Make "aftermath" instances of the raids. Strip the bossfights and more complicated mechanics and just put trash mobs and "memory points" where you could view story relevant stuff in there. You could even put a short video of the fight in there (it wouldnt have to be a speedclear solo vid where someone soloes the boss in minus 5 minutes but that would be funny). Of course also strip all the rewards and titles/progressions. If the raiders get mad that the unworthy get to see this content there could be an npc calling everyone weak casuals at the start and all the player portraits could have suckers in their mouths. Yes im abit salty because why bury GW1 relevant story content behind this.
Originally that was gonna be it but it kinda hit on something else for me. The trend to more and more "mechanics" in every fight.
I get the dilemma. Put anything with just HP infront of a meta comp and it gets deleted. Breakbars was an attempt at solving this but didnt really help. So what do you do, you change the rules entirely. Used to be that catching a thing, or doing some special action was an open world diversion, now its almost the entire fight. Honk the clowns nose. The boss will turn every player a random color, now the players have to grab the hammer of the opposite color (wrong hammer means DEATH) and hit the hamster of the same color as them (wrong color means DEATH). Now the air raid happens, jump just once or DEATH. Now spin, grab the thingabob and put it in the watchamacallit. Honk the clowns nose twice, but not thrice or else DEATH.
Why am i doin all this kitten, where am i. Is this a Sierra adventure game? In a recent video Woodenpotatoes complained that the water phase of the sunqua boss was kinda boring because there was only one mechanic, if only youd need to do three more random weird things. He even strangely agressively kitten on some comment suggesting it was a nice breakpoint, a combat low before the final phase.
I think Cairn for example or the Strikes got the sweet spot, theyre also mostly consistent with what a creature actually would do during a fight instead of 10 different esoteric minigames happening at the same time while theres a boss in the background you hit occasionally. I dont like it, 4 mechanics max per fight or it gets a mess or just totally shatters my suspension of disbelief. Could be that im just stupid (u are lolo) but i dont like it.
Thanks for reading my essay.
EDIT : This got a few good replies but then the whole thing got taken down because of a word filter bypass violation and i actually spent some time on this so here we go again. Tried to do a discussion recap from memory but a) i got a bad memory and b) this would be even longer then so welp heres just the cleaned up OP