Should I upgrade my computer?

My current computer is 6 years old, and some of its parts are breaking down. I have received an offer to buy a new one, but I'm not sure it's worth upgrading.

My current computer is:

• Intel Core i7-2600k 9MB cache
  • Windows 7
  • RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4x2GB)
  • Hard disk 01: 256GB Solid State Drive
  • Hard disk 02: SATA with 1TB (1024GB) 7200 RPM 3.0Gb/s - 32MB cache
  • Graphics card: 2xATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB each w/ CrossFireX

I could replace it by a computer with the following specs:

• Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5 GHz
  • Windows 10
  • RAM: 16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
  • Hard disk 01: 256GB M.2 Solid State Drive
  • Hard disk 02: 2 TB (7200 RPM)
  • Graphics card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5,

The thing is, I'm looking for something that'll last years, too. I'm not sure there's enough of a difference between what I have and the upgrade to be worth replacing my computer.

What do you think?

Gw2 is mainly about CPU performance and RAM, so thats two Reasons for 'Yes'.Also, Intel Processors have quite great Life-span, along with this Graphic Card, you would probably not have to replace your PC for following 6-8 Years.Your current Computer seems quite strong, but its Components are getting Old, so if you have the Option to upgrade with the New ones, I'd suggest go for it, and you wont have to bother about any malfunctions in few months =D

I mean there's 5 generations of difference between those processors and a few years between the graphics cards. The ssd upgrade isn't exactly necessary in my opinion but that's just that, an opinion. Going from 8 tip 16 gb of ram is never a bad thing, so all in all, yes, that new computer would be good for the next two to three years before you'd want to upgrade again depending on how high you want your graphics in two years. It's all up to your preference and whether you feel you need to upgrade based on your current performance, but that new rig would be a significant upgrade in processing and graphical power.Also, is that a single 16GB sick of ddr4?

I would say

About 40% performance increase for CPUAbout 100% performance increase for GPUNo performance increase for HDD, why not get nvme 1tb ssd? games are demanding a lot of space nowadays, also i feel pointless to put games on hdd, faster loading speed = more time playing actual contentAbout 5% performance increase for ram though having more rams means you can disable paging file thus even more performance increase due to it.

Like the others have said before, that's a pretty solid upgrade. If you've got the budget, you might as well just go one step up and get the nVidia 1080. What specific HDD is that? Personally, I would suggest a Western Digital Black HDD. They're the best non-SSD for games. I have a 2T one that I use for all my Steam/Other games. GW2 goes on my M.2 SSD for those blazing fast load speeds.

Then again, if this new rig is a pre-built.... you can ignore my specific part suggestions, or just hold onto them for later if/when you decide to swap out things.

That upgrade would be worth it imo, 6 years is a good life for a system. If that lasted you that long then I see no reason why the new one wouldn't last similar time for you.The ssd is a little small, but you can always toss in your old one to use for games exclusively without clogging up the system drive.

I fail to see the point of the 7700K. More pricey than 8th gen i5's for similar performance and not that much cheaper than i7 for a couple years extra of future proofing. That ram is also quite underwhelming.

But yeah if you can get that as a complete machine for cheap price then sure. Could do worse.

@Erasculio.2914 said:My current computer is 6 years old, and some of its parts are breaking down. I have received an offer to buy a new one, but I'm not sure it's worth upgrading.

To play only GW2, your new hardware is overkill. There will not be that much improvements in perfomance and/or quality. You can always decrease graphics settings to get more fps or increase to improve slightly the picture. If the reason to upgrade would be hope to MAX everything AND play the game at smooth 60 fps at 1080p then you may be disappointed with the result. Some of the max graphics settings really only reduce fps without any visible improvement, and everyone gets lag in crowded areas (for example WvW multi-zerg fights).

I would consider PC with the new specs you listed only if you going to jump up on the screen resolution above 1080p. Or if the same computer is meant to be played other games too. As a gaming PC it is fine and should last for few years, just GW2 does not benefit much from that upgrade.

Prebuilt systems have a bit of a bum rap these days. In most cases about the only thing you need to worry about with pre-built systems (Dell, HP, Acer/Gateway, etc) is the unnecessary bloatware that comes pre-installed. It's usually a simple matter of doing a fresh install of Windows and then installing only the necessary stuff (drivers/utilities).

Alienware, owned by Dell, also has a bit of a bum rap. They used to sell systems with questionable part quality for exorbitant prices though, lately, if you actually take the time to look, the parts that they offer for customization on their website are the same quality that one would get buying parts from newegg, ncix, or a brick-and-mortar store. Sure, you could probably find the parts cheaper than Alienware is charging for them if you really wanted to (probably not even that hard, either) but, all things considered, their customization options make it somewhat worthwhile if you just want to say "this is what I want, build it for me" without having to worry about price hunting. It's when you get into their (Dell's) financing that prices get a bit more toward the ridiculous side of things. A $2400CA system - pretty reasonably priced considering the parts I selected to check with when compared to the price-hunting side of things - with financing will end up costing $3600CA if the minimum payments are made for the full 48 month payment cycle (roughly $77CA/mo for 4 years). $1200 just for the option to pay in installments... ouch.

tl;dr - Don't feel bad buying a pre-built system, it's not as bad as most people like to say. If that's what is required for you to get a (much needed) upgrade then, naysayers be darned, go for it.

The thing with computer hardware is that there is always something new on the horizon and if you're waiting for the next big thing before you jump in, you could spend all your time waiting. Imo its best to wait a bit after new hardware comes out and let the early adopters find any bugs or problems with them.

Archived