Might want to clarify mount "SKINS"

Cyrin.1035

I heard from a few players that they bought the spooky mount skins pack thinking they were buying the actual mounts. Most who have played for awhile would know they are just skins, but it's not clarified in the item name or the description.

The Reforged Warhound says "Double Click to unlock this MOUNT for your wardrobe." Not mount SKIN.The Mount Adoption License says "Gain a random MOUNT from the stables" and also makes it sound like you are adopting or getting an actual mount.

Adding a single word would really help those new or confused players that were looking to spend money for mounts and not skins. ;)

I even thought they were actual mounts, despite knowing all about the skins. When I first saw stuff about the Mount Adoption License I thought it was like...... a special mount rental? Like you could rent mounts with cool skins, and it worked like a voucher where you could pick which one you wanted. Still somehow better than what it actually is. :/

• 1 month later...

What should a player, which own PoF, think while reading the bundle message?I mean, would him expect that the new skins are different mounts with different skills?

I see no chance for a mystake, unless somebody really wants to troll.

But let's feedxaFjWzS.jpg

Oh god, they don't clarify that black lion weapons are not weapons but skins!!But don't worry, everybody knows that they do mean skins, and because the advertisement is the same since years, there are no problems for mount packs either.

@"Shirlias.8104" said:What should a player, which own PoF, think while reading the bundle message?I mean, would him expect that the new skins are different mounts with different skills?

I see no chance for a mystake, unless somebody really wants to troll.

But let's feedxaFjWzS.jpg

Oh god, they don't clarify that black lion weapons are not weapons but skins!!But don't worry, everybody knows that they do mean skins, and because the advertisement is the same since years, there are no problems for mount packs either.

Yet, that isn't the truth, both what you are falsely claiming and what they are advertising. There are many players who would or have already proven that. Anet also changed the title and description for the lootbox mount skins the first time this thread went up.

IF you hover over each individual 'mount' it says 'raptor skin' 'griffon skin' 'skimmer skin' etc etc.

In fact... it says

Double Click to unlock this raptor mount skin for your account

I'm sorry but if I am going to sink money into a purchase, I am going to look over it and make sure it is exactly what I want to buy. That can either be as simple as a mount skin or as complicated as a car And in a game hovering is a utility and something that should come as second nature not just for purchases, but also for playing in general.

And before it is said that no one should have to hover...

Well, why not?

Where landscape and space is like blood for advertising and graphical content, it's actually a smart thing to do. Where in a game where hovering is how new players can learn what their skills do, and veterans know not to purchase without checking it out i.e. by hovering, it's especially a smart move.

I understand how new players may not understand the necessity for hovering, but ANET has refunded people in the past for this mistake. And also this is where a community comes in - not to be toxic, but to help answer questions from new players.

Tis the season and all that.

@"RebelliousChyld.6427" said:IF you hover over each individual 'mount' it says 'raptor skin' 'griffon skin' 'skimmer skin' etc etc.

In fact... it says

Double Click to unlock this raptor mount skin for your account

I'm sorry but if I am going to sink money into a purchase, I am going to look over it and make sure it is exactly what I want to buy. That can either be as simple as a mount skin or as complicated as a car And in a game hovering is a utility and something that should come as second nature not just for purchases, but also for playing in general.

Well, why not?

Where landscape and space is like blood for advertising and graphical content, it's actually a smart thing to do. Where in a game where hovering is how new players can learn what their skills do, and veterans know not to purchase without checking it out i.e. by hovering, it's especially a smart move.

I understand how new players may not understand the necessity for hovering, but ANET has refunded people in the past for this mistake. And also this is where a community comes in - not to be toxic, but to help answer questions from new players.

Why isn't MOUNT SKIN put in the title and description? It doesn't matter what corner or crevice it is stated. It SHOULD be on exactly what you are buying. Wherever that "pay gems" button is. It's on the bundle. This is what the bundle you are buying shows:

80YfGmS.jpg

Why should Anet have to do the process of a refund let alone the new player have to create a ticket for this easily avoidable "issue"? Why not just add ONE word in there and save everyone the trouble? It's clear and it's straightforward. Most importantly it's accurate.

Of course, my questions here are obviously rhetorical. There is only one reason why that word was not included originally, why it was added in after it was pointed out, and why it has again not been included:$$$$$This is why I proposed Anet find other ways of making income instead of doing "oops forgot to put that word in there hahaha :3 !" ploys. Lootboxes, gem store squeezing, and things like this are gimmicky and not respectful to players new and current.

Because when you hover over each individual skin, it says that is indeed a skin. Which you hover over said skins to see what they look like... So... One would think... gee, it says skin. Just like when you buy a the snipers bundle, the cowboy bundle, the other bundles... Unless you blindly go "oh hey cool a bundle, I'm not going to check and see how it looks on my character".

And if ANET was looking to make money, as you put it, then they wouldn't offer refunds.

However, they do.

So okay, fine, perhaps instead of looking at it as someone should read the fine print, which honestly, I think people should. But if you want to say no, this isn't possibly on the players...

Instead, perhaps they had it in the same batch of the other holiday events - in a tidy folder with all the coding, they went in and changed the coding to add one word to the Halloween ones.. to fix it and forgot to go back and fix the other holiday ones. Which in that case, it would be human error at the worst.

Not corporate greed.

You can't say "oh but why should they bother to do refunds" and then try to say that they are doing it just for the money.

It...doesn't really work that way, as one negates the other.

@"RebelliousChyld.6427" said:Because when you hover over each individual skin, it says that is indeed a skin. Which you hover over said skins to see what they look like... So... One would think... gee, it says skin. Just like when you buy a the snipers bundle, the cowboy bundle, the other bundles... Unless you blindly go "oh hey cool a bundle, I'm not going to check and see how it looks on my character".

And if ANET was looking to make money, as you put it, then they wouldn't offer refunds.

However, they do.

So okay, fine, perhaps instead of looking at it as someone should read the fine print, which honestly, I think people should. But if you want to say no, this isn't possibly on the players...

Instead, perhaps they had it in the same batch of the other holiday events - in a tidy folder with all the coding, they went in and changed the coding to add one word to the Halloween ones.. to fix it and forgot to go back and fix the other holiday ones. Which in that case, it would be human error at the worst.

Not corporate greed.

You can't say "oh but why should they bother to do refunds" and then try to say that they are doing it just for the money.

It...doesn't really work that way, as one negates the other.

Sure they would. They wouldn't want to lose a lot more money.There was no error. There was no mistake. There is literally no defense of this other than $$$.Put SKINS in the title and description. Done.

@Cyrin.1035 said:

@"RebelliousChyld.6427" said:IF you hover over each individual 'mount' it says 'raptor skin' 'griffon skin' 'skimmer skin' etc etc.

In fact... it says

Double Click to unlock this raptor mount
skin
for your account

I'm sorry but if I am going to sink money into a purchase, I am going to look over it and make sure it is exactly what I want to buy. That can either be as simple as a mount
skin
or as complicated as a
car
And in a game hovering is a utility and something that should come as second nature not just for purchases, but also for playing in general.

Well, why not?

Where landscape and space is like blood for advertising and graphical content, it's actually a smart thing to do. Where in a game where hovering is how new players can
learn
what their skills do, and veterans know not to purchase without checking it out i.e. by hovering, it's especially a smart move.

I understand how new players
may
not understand the necessity for hovering, but ANET has refunded people in the past for this mistake. And also this is where a community comes in - not to be toxic, but to help answer questions from new players.

Why isn't MOUNT SKIN put in the title and description? It doesn't matter what corner or crevice it is stated. It SHOULD be on exactly what you are buying. Wherever that "pay gems" button is. It's on the bundle. This is what the bundle you are buying shows:

80YfGmS.jpg

Why should Anet have to do the process of a refund let alone the new player have to create a ticket for this easily avoidable "issue"? Why not just add ONE word in there and save everyone the trouble? It's clear and it's straightforward. Most importantly it's accurate.

Of course, my questions here are obviously rhetorical. There is only one reason why that word was not included originally, why it was added in after it was pointed out, and why it has again not been included:$$$$$This is why I proposed Anet find other ways of making income instead of doing "oops forgot to put that word in there hahaha :3 !" ploys. Lootboxes, gem store squeezing, and things like this are gimmicky and not respectful to players new and current.

BUT by YOUR statement alone, 'why should Anet have to do the process of refund let alone the new player have to create a ticket'

and then... talking about Corporate Greed.

IF ANET were about Corporate Greed - they would NOT refund the player either they be old or new. They would be like 'LULZ, sorry not sorry' but they don't do that. BY your own words.

And also... ALSO...

Are you part of ANET? Are you one of the developers? A member of the marketing team? Coder?

Because if not, you have absolutely no way of knowing.

And what they have done in the past? Including refunds and changing the wording previously, actually... Proves you wrong.

As someone who does forum coding etc etc for hobbies and what not, I for one have a SLEW of code - I have a folder full of texts I can pop in and out. All pre-set, all pre-made. It saves time and is far more efficient, unless there was a typo that I went and fixed in said forum post and forgot to go and fix in my other texts. The next time I would post said text, said error would be there. So it would stand to reason, the person who updates the black lion gem store had code that was written up even before the first launch of skins... for each new bundle, and that way they could copy and paste. And didn't go back and update it when they fixed the Halloween one.

Why is that so hard to believe? That human error can happen, but you want to believe so badly that a company that HAS in fact refunded gem purchases for those who inadvertently purchased something is all about the greed?

Hmmm, I think I know the answer.

@RebelliousChyld.6427 said:

@RebelliousChyld.6427 said:IF you hover over each individual 'mount' it says 'raptor skin' 'griffon skin' 'skimmer skin' etc etc.

In fact... it says

Double Click to unlock this raptor mount
skin
for your account

I'm sorry but if I am going to sink money into a purchase, I am going to look over it and make sure it is exactly what I want to buy. That can either be as simple as a mount
skin
or as complicated as a
car
And in a game hovering is a utility and something that should come as second nature not just for purchases, but also for playing in general.

Well, why not?

Where landscape and space is like blood for advertising and graphical content, it's actually a smart thing to do. Where in a game where hovering is how new players can
learn
what their skills do, and veterans know not to purchase without checking it out i.e. by hovering, it's especially a smart move.

I understand how new players
may
not understand the necessity for hovering, but ANET has refunded people in the past for this mistake. And also this is where a community comes in - not to be toxic, but to help answer questions from new players.

80YfGmS.jpg

BUT by YOUR statement alone, 'why should Anet have to do the process of refund let alone the new player have to create a ticket'

and then... talking about Corporate Greed.

IF ANET were about Corporate Greed - they would NOT refund the player either they be old or new. They would be like 'LULZ, sorry not sorry' but they don't do that. BY your own words.

And also... ALSO...

Are you part of ANET? Are you one of the developers? A member of the marketing team? Coder?

Because
if
not, you have absolutely
no
way of knowing.

And what they have done in the past? Including refunds and changing the wording previously, actually... Proves you wrong.

As someone who does forum coding etc etc for hobbies and what not, I for one have a SLEW of code - I have a folder full of texts I can pop in and out. All pre-set, all pre-made. It saves time and is far more efficient, unless there was a typo that I went and fixed in said forum post and forgot to go and fix in my other texts. The next time I would post said text, said error would be there. So it would stand to reason, the person who updates the black lion gem store had code that was written up even before the first launch of skins... for each new bundle, and that way they could copy and paste. And didn't go back and update it when they fixed the Halloween one.

Why is that so hard to believe? That human error
can
happen, but you want to believe so badly that a company that HAS in fact refunded gem purchases for those who inadvertently purchased something is all about the greed?

Hmmm, I think I know the answer.

I hear you, Chyld. I really do. But there's a little more you'll need to learn about policy, laws, marketing, and reputation before we can both really engage in this type of subject.

Regardless of what any intentions were or what took place, the obvious, easy, and right thing to do here is just to add the word "skin/skins" in the title and description. The word "mount" should not be alone on a mount skin item.

This may be a two-fold problem. They are under mounts tab in inventory, though, they are skins. So maybe Anet considered the Mounts description to be explanatory enough that they're skins. If we consider a new mount would be a mastery track, I can't see how they could get away selling that on the Gemstore.

Love the new ones by the way, this is what I'm more than willing to support.

I guess I'll never understand the mental state of players that rush to defend MMO companies, even to the point of insulting language directed at other players.

The problem here is that the wording can be a bit sketchy, especially to newer players that are already overwhelmed learning about everything else in the game. This can be easily resolved by adding a single word to the description displayed in the gem store (not the hover text!). Problem solved. End of discussion.

falsely advertising is bad regardless how "obvious" it is, ones someone could buy a tv pretty much for free because it said "a tv for a whistle". (and yes, even after the cord he got the tv)things must be explained clearly, anything short from that gives the customer right to wonder.

i work in a second hand store, putting the wrong wording or description in the store for even the tiniest item can be fatal, before you know it you're giving things for free or sell the wrong things.Anet need to know that rule, i know most customers are smart enough to figure things out but even then, a customer needs to be treated like a child in terms of explanation so there are no misunderstandings.it might sound strange but it's how it's done.

@Cuddy.6247 said:While I agree the advertising isn't using the greatest of words...do you really think they'd throw mount unlocks in the gem store? Not a chance.

That's the point.Though the argument could be discussed, it's ridiculous to scream like it was a scam.

They could and they should write that better?Indeed.Still, i find hard that somebody who read the ads though that he was going to buy 5 new mounts for 20€.

@"sorudo.9054" said:falsely advertising is bad regardless how "obvious" it is, ones someone could buy a tv pretty much for free because it said "a tv for a whistle". (and yes, even after the cord he got the tv)things must be explained clearly, anything short from that gives the customer right to wonder.

i work in a second hand store, putting the wrong wording or description in the store for even the tiniest item can be fatal, before you know it you're giving things for free or sell the wrong things.Anet need to know that rule, i know most customers are smart enough to figure things out but even then, a customer needs to be treated like a child in terms of explanation so there are no misunderstandings.it might sound strange but it's how it's done.

The mount skin announcement is in no way false advertising. To call it such is over dramatizing the issue.

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:falsely advertising is bad regardless how "obvious" it is, ones someone could buy a tv pretty much for free because it said "a tv for a whistle". (and yes, even after the cord he got the tv)things must be explained clearly, anything short from that gives the customer right to wonder.

The mount skin announcement is in no way false advertising. To call it such is over dramatizing the issue.

Welcome back, Darc. :)

Archived