CC during auto attacks should not be considered interrupts

Meurto.8520

The amount of abilities that have an interrupt component is extremely high and the fact that being hit during an auto attack chain with any of these abilities is counts as an interrupt really removes any planning on the part of the attacker. The big issue here is you get ability locked for ~3s, which is more than enough time for most classes to land their burst. I think we really need to consider saving the interrupt for abilities that are NOT auto attacks as in many cases the attacks dealing the interrupt have no cast time. For example, you see a ranger casting barrage? Perfect time for an interrupt. Warrior using 100 blades? Interrupt them. I feel there should be a bit more strategy in using interrupts than what we are seeing now. In a lot of cases these are also CC, which in itself forces the player to decide to eat the CC or use a stun break. I would be interested to hear some thoughts from others on this.

I think the majority of chains have at least 2 attacks that have a cast time. I don't think people should get hung up on it having a cast time, but I understand the thought behind it. I think if you consider how often the 1 ability is used and how easy it is to land a successful interrupt I feel it is too rewarding. I think the ability lockout should be reserved for interruption of a 2-5 ability or utility skill. You can keep the actual interruption of the auto attack, just don't apply the ability lock out.

When you say you can interrupt an aa auto chain do you mean you actually get an "interruped" marker when spamming 1? Or it simply resets the chain to the first of, the generally, 3 attack phases of auto attack?

I don't really know of any classes that rely on their AA chain for anything really.....it just gives some added bonus at the end usually but its nothing amazing.

Also I think your main problem, assuming any of this is true, is the amount of aoe cc in t he game atm. I actually think single or projectile target interrupts should bring things onto a larger cooldown if they interrupt. I mean with gunflame I'd even be happy if interrupt was removed on it....since its glitched and it lowers the damage output if you interrupt someone with a gunflame.Warrior for example has tons of single target cc lockdowns, I think the present interrupt cd's aren't high enough. Same with other classes that have single target cc.

The problem I see with autoattacks being interrupted is that not all autoattacks can be interrupted for the same effect.

Autoattacks that have a chain of skills with the biggest effect on the third skill have a much greater impact when interrupted than when someone interrupts some unimpressive skill that is spammed can be just used right away. Like with most ranged autoattacks that consist in just 1 skill such as ranger shortbow or thief pistol.

One possible solution to that would be giving ranged autoattacks with a single spammed skill a 'rhythm' with ammo. Every certain number of attacks, the skill will flip over into a a 'recharge' skill that takes a bit longer to use. And if you have control skills, you'd be a to interrupt that recharge to hinder their attacking as they'd have to attempt their recharge again. Annoyed by a thief spamming pistols? Catch them when they reload, get a window of opportunity to turn the fight to your advantage.

Just for clarification, I am fine with auto attack chains being reset upon interrupt and the actual interruption mid attack for any of these that have a cast time. My biggest issue is the skill lock out that comes from this. This is the part that I think should be removed when an auto attack chain is interrupted.

I am not sure this really solves anything. I already hear Commanders give the instruction of "Do nothing but spam 1" when they are making a push and I really do not think it would be helpful to have more Press 1 gameplay.

Added to that this also would result in classes and weapons having the best AA gaining more an advantage. Interrupt skills are still on cooldown so if a person wants to use his interrupts on stopping the #1 attack chain that should be an option. Using thief as an example. One uses p/x and one uses d/x. The d/x thief gains a LOT more from not being able to interrupt that chain then does the p/x thief.

@Terrahero.9358 said:There are no autoattacks. There are skills with no cooldown and we can set a single skill at a time to auto-cast whenever it is available provided it meets certain requirements (ground target aoe for instance are out).>

You just described an auto attack in your second sentence.

@babazhook.6805 said:I am not sure this really solves anything. I already hear Commanders give the instruction of "Do nothing but spam 1" when they are making a push and I really do not think it would be helpful to have more Press 1 gameplay.

Added to that this also would result in classes and weapons having the best AA gaining more an advantage. Interrupt skills are still on cooldown so if a person wants to use his interrupts on stopping the #1 attack chain that should be an option. Using thief as an example. One uses p/x and one uses d/x. The d/x thief gains a LOT more from not being able to interrupt that chain then does the p/x thief.

If this was true you wouldn't see a near endless barrage of red circles and aoes. You are right about thief, d/x is already at a huge advantage as only the last attack in the chain has a cast time. I don't know that people understand what a huge benefit this is. All I am really suggesting is making interrupts require a bit of thought because right now people are just using them without targeting any specific attack.

@Meurto.8520 said:The amount of abilities that have an interrupt component is extremely high and the fact that being hit during an auto attack chain with any of these abilities is counts as an interrupt really removes any planning on the part of the attacker. The big issue here is you get ability locked for ~3s, which is more than enough time for most classes to land their burst. I think we really need to consider saving the interrupt for abilities that are NOT auto attacks as in many cases the attacks dealing the interrupt have no cast time. For example, you see a ranger casting barrage? Perfect time for an interrupt. Warrior using 100 blades? Interrupt them. I feel there should be a bit more strategy in using interrupts than what we are seeing now. In a lot of cases these are also CC, which in itself forces the player to decide to eat the CC or use a stun break. I would be interested to hear some thoughts from others on this.

You dont see a ranger casting barrage? Maybe you should improve your skill or play more duels.

@Anonymus.6287 said:

@Meurto.8520 said:The amount of abilities that have an interrupt component is extremely high and the fact that being hit during an auto attack chain with any of these abilities is counts as an interrupt really removes any planning on the part of the attacker. The big issue here is you get ability locked for ~3s, which is more than enough time for most classes to land their burst. I think we really need to consider saving the interrupt for abilities that are NOT auto attacks as in many cases the attacks dealing the interrupt have no cast time. For example, you see a ranger casting barrage? Perfect time for an interrupt. Warrior using 100 blades? Interrupt them. I feel there should be a bit more strategy in using interrupts than what we are seeing now. In a lot of cases these are also CC, which in itself forces the player to decide to eat the CC or use a stun break. I would be interested to hear some thoughts from others on this.

You dont see a ranger casting barrage? Maybe you should improve your skill or play more duels.

All I did was randomly pick an ability with a cast time, but you were too focused on the actual ability in the example to see the larger picture. The irony of your second sentence is that my suggestion actually does promote skill.

@Meurto.8520 said:Just for clarification, I am fine with auto attack chains being reset upon interrupt and the actual interruption mid attack for any of these that have a cast time. My biggest issue is the skill lock out that comes from this. This is the part that I think should be removed when an auto attack chain is interrupted.

Sorry I don't understand your original post.

Your skill get locked because of you get CC'ed for that much time, right? It has nothing to do with being interrupted during AA chain.

@Terrahero.9358 said:There are no autoattacks. There are skills with no cooldown and we can set a single skill at a time to auto-cast whenever it is available provided it meets certain requirements (ground target aoe for instance are out).

I've always thought the auto attack should be a small icon above the skillbar activated by pressing "r" while we have a new/extra skillslot in skill 1.

@Exciton.8942 said:

@Meurto.8520 said:Just for clarification, I am fine with auto attack chains being reset upon interrupt and the actual interruption mid attack for any of these that have a cast time. My biggest issue is the skill lock out that comes from this. This is the part that I think should be removed when an auto attack chain is interrupted.

Your skill get locked because of you get CC'ed for that much time, right? It has nothing to do with being interrupted during AA chain.

Sounds like he is being hit by powerblock which isnt a very dominant build atm.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power_Block

I can't agree -- the [1] attack (whether being used as an auto-attack or not) isn't deserving of special protection simply because it has a lower cooldown. Anyone who uses an interrupt build thoughtfully isn't going to interrupt just because they can; they are going to save that ability for when it counts. If the skill is chained 1a-b-c, they'll wait for 'c' which does require aforethought (if not also malice).

In contrast, I'd be very pleased if an interrupt-build opponent chose to waste their interrupts on my [1] chain. That leaves me with my stronger skills.

I'm willing to keep an open mind about the idea. I'd like to see a better description of how this would improve gameplay overall.

@R E F L H E X.8413 said:

@Exciton.8942 said:

Sounds like he is being hit by powerblock which isnt a very dominant build atm.

Power Block doesn't increase CD of 0 CD skill.

So it is either a bug or something else he is talking about.

I will give people a bigger picture

Most classes has 1 skill on their weapon that has a castime between .50 to 2.00

What the op seems be mad about is that -

If you spam cc to interrupt somebody who is casting their 1auto attacks.- it performs a daze and locks all skills 1-11 and toolbelt kits and f1 special skills.

Interrupting is basically ccing a person while they cast anything including an auto attack and it dazes all their skills and activates a sigil or rune.

Archived