PvP Systems Conversation

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi folks!

On Wednesday, 12/6, the Guild Wars 2 PvP team will be having a community event. We’ll be posting a series of discussion topics that players can join to ask questions or share their comments. We plan to be active in the threads until the end of the week. Our responses won’t be instantaneous, but we will try to get to as many questions and comments as possible.

Our posts will cover the following topics:

• Matchmaking/Leagues
  • Automated Tournaments
  • Rewards
  • Maps
  • Game Modes
  • Miscellaneous (Note: We may not respond to everything in this thread. There are some things we can’t discuss at this time.)

You’ll notice that skills and balance and player behavior are not included in the list of topics. As most of you are aware, the PvP team does not handle balance changes and we are not responsible for reviewing or responding to player conduct issues. As such, we cannot answer questions on these topics. You should continue to post your questions about skills and balance in the appropriate profession subforum, and you can direct any concerns you have about player conduct to our Customer Support Team.

We look forward to having a good and productive conversation with you starting Wednesday!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Pyriall.1683 said:So the most important issue, balance, will not be addressed...

balance is important, but I would argue that matchmaking, rewards, competitive/marketing aspects etc are also very (more?) important to continue to find ways to grow player base and attract new players

@Milan.9035 said:They can have the best reward and best matchmaking and it wont mean anything if there is no balance. I dont think thw pvp team needs to talk to the community at all, i think they need to talk to balance team. You guys have a lot to talk about....

I hear what you are saying, and looking at breakdown of players in ranked, clearly there are favorites (likely because they are unbalanced and strong). But I like a challenge and playing builds that are hard to play and I suspect I'm not the only one that doesn't just gravitate to the FotM. So I guess I'm saying I think the 'balance is the only problem' is overstated and it is nice to hear from devs that they want player input. Good luck finding the elusive perfect balance! Every build has a counter and there are so many possibilities that I would think it impossible that there aren't easier to play builds and harder to play builds. But it seems I'm in the minority

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Vyrulisse.1246 said:The PvP team does not handle balance changes... wow. Just... wow.

Yes, since the game's launch in 2012, apparently this is a big revelation? :anguished:

Edit: That would be the skills and balance team

You'd think they would be a part of it since skill splitting is a thing. Guess I'm a dreamer. :P

Edit: And considering what we've seen from the "Skills and Balance Team" maybe they should be.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Hi folks!

On Wednesday, 12/6, the Guild Wars 2 PvP team will be having a community event. We’ll be posting a series of discussion topics that players can join to ask questions or share their comments. We plan to be active in the threads until the end of the week. Our responses won’t be instantaneous, but we will try to get to as many questions and comments as possible.

• Matchmaking/Leagues
  • Automated Tournaments
  • Rewards
  • Maps
  • Game Modes
  • Miscellaneous (Note: We may not respond to everything in this thread. There are some things we can’t discuss at this time.)

You’ll notice that skills and balance and player behavior are not included in the list of topics. As most of you are aware, the PvP team does not handle balance changes and we are not responsible for reviewing or responding to player conduct issues. As such, we cannot answer questions on these topics. You should continue to post your questions about skills and balance in the appropriate profession subforum, and you can direct any concerns you have about player conduct to our Customer Support Team.

We look forward to having a good and productive conversation with you starting Wednesday!

HelloOo, nice to see you active!Quaggan is happy you gonna talk with Quaggan and his fishy friends in PvP forums! Quaggan has noticed Game Modes on your list, so he wonders, if we will talk about other modes than Conquest, which would mean, we can hope for tweaks for Stronghold and maybe see some Deathmatch (reworked Coutyard)? Quaggan understands you don't work on balance, but does that mean, profession designers don't read PvP forums and nobody is sharing our concerns with them?

• ArenaNet Staff

@Morwath.9817 said:

• Matchmaking/Leagues
  • Automated Tournaments
  • Rewards
  • Maps
  • Game Modes

HelloOo, nice to see you active!Quaggan is happy you gonna talk with Quaggan and his fishy friends in PvP forums! Quaggan has noticed Game Modes on your list, so he wonders, if we will talk about other modes than Conquest, which would mean, we can hope for tweaks for Stronghold and maybe see some Deathmatch (reworked Coutyard)? Quaggan understands you don't work on balance, but does that mean, profession designers don't read PvP forums and nobody is sharing our concerns with them?

The balance team does look at the PvP forums, though they watch the class specific forums more often.

In regards to maps: I felt like within the current meta where AoE dominates, it maybe necessary to talk about increasing cap size to reduce effectiveness of certain builds in conquest (while increase others). It may not have as much impact on higher tiers since players tend to kite more efficiently, but it'll help with lower tiers.

Also add courtyard to stronghold queue in unranked. In the future maybe add another gamemode (capture the quaggan whatnot) so there are alternative gamemodes.

I'm quite happy that things will be discussed with us finally! :). We all want a good game. As for me I say we need new game modes or more updated maps of Stronghold/TDM. Conquest has made the game beyond stale Bring back the 5 man system and add a leaderboard for groups (2,3,5) and a leaderboard for solo que.

Balance isnt as bad as it has been but stale game play and over played modes / maps make it less enjoyable in PvP.

Also PvP server lag is beyond ridiculous right now. Having pings go from 30-40 to 90-120 is cray cray.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:Nice I guess, but it would also be nice to get some more interaction and replies of the issues and concerns being posted in the PvP forum for many months. We're full of suggestions and concerns here but I do not really get the impression we're getting heard here.

Come on, don't bother being bitter. They're here now and reaching out, don't fucking ruin it.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Morwath.9817 said:

• Matchmaking/Leagues
  • Automated Tournaments
  • Rewards
  • Maps
  • Game Modes

The balance team does look at the PvP forums, though they watch the class specific forums more often.

That's productive...they go to the forums where each profession always feels under balanced. That explains it all.

@Morwath.9817 said:

• Matchmaking/Leagues
  • Automated Tournaments
  • Rewards
  • Maps
  • Game Modes

Ooo, then Quaggan has an idea.Wouldn't it be good to have sPvP balancing sticky thread for each profession*? It would be easy to track for each designer associated with profession hes working on and players to share feedback there. Currently it's rather hard to share feedback and discuss on so many subforums at once (Quaggan doesn't even step there for a reason), especially when you would have to debate with people who don't sPvP or don't care about sPvP at all, and will defend broken things just because they are afraid of PvE nerfs.

Fishy Edit:*In PvP subforum.

@Pyrial.2917 said:That's productive...they go to the forums where each profession always feels under balanced. That explains it all.

Lol, yep, EVERY profession forum it's:

"ArenaNet hates us and leaves our profession in shambles with sooo many broken mechanics.They're peddling hope but when the patch comes it's just nerfs. We're the 'X' class and we are entitled to be the strongest at'X' :weary: "

@Morwath.9817 said:

• Matchmaking/Leagues
  • Automated Tournaments
  • Rewards
  • Maps
  • Game Modes

Thank you for answering, but i believe mostly paying attention to the class profession subforums is part of the reason why pvp balance is so bad.

People in profession subforums aren't concerned about how their classes are balanced vs other classes. They tend to be pve players and they tend to want more toys to play with.

Meanwhile, people who post in the pvp forums are more concerned about interprofessional balance within the pvp game mode. Reading mostly rhe profession sub forums provides a warped view of what is happening in pvp as far as discontent goes.

You need look no further than what necros tend to discuss in their sub forum (how bad necro is at everything) vs what is discussed here (how overpowering necro boon corruption and point control is). It's like looking into two different realities.

@Kuya.6495 said:

@Morwath.9817 said:

• Matchmaking/Leagues
  • Automated Tournaments
  • Rewards
  • Maps
  • Game Modes

Thank you for answering, but i believe mostly paying attention to the class profession subforums is part of the reason why pvp balance is so bad.

People in profession subforums aren't concerned about how their classes are balanced vs other classes. They tend to be pve players and they tend to want more toys to play with.

Meanwhile, people who post in the pvp forums are more concerned about interprofessional balance within the pvp game mode. Reading mostly rhe profession sub forums provides a warped view of what is happening in pvp as far as discontent goes.

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree with this. I've given up on having meaningful discussions in the class forums these days.

Just want to say you're wasting an opportunity by continuing to talk about class balance.

He specifically went out of his way to say that they're not there to discuss class balance. That doesn't mean that the balance team won't reach out in future, I even read somewhere that they're looking to step up balance patches and a secondary smaller balance patch is due this December. They're clearly trying. Please be open and receptive with them because then real changes can happen.

Archived