[Suggestion] Outfits to costume pieces?

Solori.6025

Has been a question on my mind,

Why not turn the outfits into costume pieces as well and sell them?>

I would gladly pay 1200 or even 1400 gems to buy costume pieces. As it is now with just outfits though I can't justify the expense to look like everyone else. You are sitting on a gold mine with the ability to allow people to customize the character.To me outfits are a cop-out

Edit: Would this have been better as a poll?Edit 2: How to make poll plz halp :#

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:I agree completely. There's easy money here. No more outfits, pls cut them up and sell individuallly.

Like they dont even just have to do costumesThe could do bothRelease the outfit one month.Then release the costume pack of said outfit the next.

You appease both audiences, and make more money

This I could get behind. Even at 2000 gems that would be six new pieces of armor as a set. Which would mean you buy five at the usual 400 gems and get the sixth free. So yes it would be worth it. Also they could piece it out at 400 gems a piece along with the full set so if you only want the shoulders you can get them without needing the whole set. I would love the Mad King outfit or the Grenth one. Both have aesthetics I like.

I agree, too bad it's not going to happen because according to Anet "it's too much work". Which is funny because no one likes Outfits besides Anet. I bought ONE Outfit so far and I only use it on leveling characters to hide the ugly random low-lvl gear. Lvl80 is about mix-n-matching, period.

The very point of outfits is that they can't be mixed & matched with anything else; there's only a single piece that doesn't have to be tested with other pieces. Cutting them up and selling as individual pieces is no different from just producing more armor sets in the first place. And, because the underlying tech has so many animations and tons of details, it takes them a lot longer than we think it should (heck, longer than they think it should).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:The very point of outfits is that they can't be mixed & matched with anything else; there's only a single piece that doesn't have to be tested with other pieces. Cutting them up and selling as individual pieces is no different from just producing more armor sets in the first place. And, because the underlying tech has so many animations and tons of details, it takes them a lot longer than we think it should (heck, longer than they think it should).a Rebuttle-But producing a product that only appeases to a minority is wasted development timeI also doubt that everything is tested the way we believe or want, otherwise the state of the game would be much different.Lastly, I don't understand what tech they would have to add, since the outfit tech and special effects are already their, they hardest part would be separating them, and if someone is willing to pay you to do it, why not?

P.S.Side note I would also pay 2000 gems for costume pieces. That price seems reasonable and given how badly they need micro transactions right now I think the little extra work would be worth it

It's not just a matter of separating the pieces. For the same reason that Heavy, Light, and Medium can't be mixed, Outfits can't be mixed with any of those weights, as they are a separate weight, themselves. As stated previously, it takes ~9 months to create an Armor Set. Thus, it would take ~9 months to create the 'Armor Sets' for each Outfit. The Devs may feel that the playerbase would prefer new Armor Sets released, rather than old Outfits turned into Armor Sets. /shrug

People have been asking for outfits in pieces since the very first teaser-trailer of gw2 in 2011.Anets stance is that making such sets would drive up the cost so much no one would still buy them.Hence pieces are considered quality content and released with expansions, outfits inbetween.

@Solori.6025 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The very point of outfits is that they can't be mixed & matched with anything else; there's only a single piece that doesn't have to be tested with other pieces. Cutting them up and selling as individual pieces is no different from just producing more armor sets in the first place. And, because the underlying tech has so many animations and tons of details, it takes them a lot longer than we think it should (heck, longer than they think it should).a Rebuttle-But producing a product that only appeases to a minority is wasted development timeFirst, all gem shop skins appeal only to a minority; there aren't any that are bought by everyone. Second, that statement assumes that the effort is comparable. Roughly speaking, ANet's suggested that it takes a month (or less) to produce an outfit and 9 months (or more) for a
full
set of mix & match pieces. All other things equal, that means that we would have to buy each armor skin nine times more often to end up breaking even in terms of equivalent development time.

I also doubt that everything is tested the way we believe or want, otherwise the state of the game would be much different.I'm sure there's less testing than ANet wants; most developers see QA as a cost (rather than an essential component of coding). But that's moot. The designers have told us that flaws we see (clipping etc) are
despite
the testing they already do. It's not that they don't notice (usually they do); it's that they make compromises between "releasing something of quality" versus "something perfect." You're asking them to compromise further by releasing something of low quality; they aren't ready to do that.

Lastly, I don't understand what tech they would have to add, since the outfit tech and special effects are already their, they hardest part would be separating them, and if someone is willing to pay you to do it, why not?First, we aren't willing to pay more for armor skins. Look at the outrage over 2k gem mountfits; it would be worse if armor skins were priced that high. Second, you have to accept the designer team's word that it takes extra tech. There are currently four weights of armor in the game: light, medium, heavy, and outfit (town clothes used to be a type).

There's no current tech that allows those skins to be matched, even if they did no testing. Weight 4 (outfits) is design as "onesies" meaning it isn't split up to start with, so designer time would be used to make that happen. Then the pieces (which are already more expensive than outfits now) have to be manually converted into light, medium, and heavy. (Then there's testing on top of that.)

P.S. Side note I would also pay 2000 gems for costume pieces. That price seems reasonable and given how badly they need micro transactions right now I think the little extra work would be worth it

To make it worth their time, it would (probably) have to be a minimum of 2k gems for just heavy. (That's assuming that the 9:1 ratio is accurate enough for this situation; it's probably an underestimate).

The thing is: this isn't the first time someone has suggested cutting up outfits. ANet's familiar with all the dozen or so suggestions we have made to give us more armor in the game.

So our options are:

• Accept that they know what they are doing and therefore trust them when they say "it's not as easy as it sounds."
  • Doubt that they understand how to produce new skins efficiently, in which case, no further explanation is needed why we can't have more nice things.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:It's not just a matter of separating the pieces. For the same reason that Heavy, Light, and Medium can't be mixed, Outfits can't be mixed with any of those weights, as they are a separate weight, themselves. As stated previously, it takes ~9 months to create an Armor Set. Thus, it would take ~9 months to create the 'Armor Sets' for each Outfit. The Devs may feel that the playerbase would prefer new Armor Sets released, rather than old Outfits turned into Armor Sets. /shrug

Yes, different weight classes are different, but would it be so hard as to make all the different weight pieces the same cosmetically?They have done that with the foe fire gloves, the salvaged forged pieces, and even with the addition of the Dhuum armor pieces currently in the wardrobe

I also don't think taking existing code and cutting it up would take 9 months especially since the art, most of the coding, etc. is already done.I would hope they have a base code to assign different cosmetic items to certain weight classes.

Again, if people are willing to pay 20-35$ for costume pieces of already existing content. I don't see the reason NOT to take the request and peoples money, especially when it's being thrown at you

@Mea.5491 said:I agree, too bad it's not going to happen because according to Anet "it's too much work". Which is funny because no one likes Outfits besides Anet. I bought ONE Outfit so far and I only use it on leveling characters to hide the ugly random low-lvl gear. Lvl80 is about mix-n-matching, period.

I like Jungle Explorer on everyone and I like Hexed on my Asura.

@Mea.5491 said:I agree, too bad it's not going to happen because according to Anet "it's too much work". Which is funny because no one likes Outfits besides Anet. I bought ONE Outfit so far and I only use it on leveling characters to hide the ugly random low-lvl gear. Lvl80 is about mix-n-matching, period.

If no one likes Outfits, I wonder why there are always requests to bring this Outfit or that Outfit back to the Gem Store. Makes one wonder.

@Solori.6025 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:It's not just a matter of separating the pieces. For the same reason that Heavy, Light, and Medium can't be mixed, Outfits can't be mixed with any of those weights, as they are a separate weight, themselves. As stated previously, it takes ~9 months to create an Armor Set. Thus, it would take ~9 months to create the 'Armor Sets' for each Outfit. The Devs may feel that the playerbase would prefer
new
Armor Sets released, rather than old Outfits turned into Armor Sets. /shrug

Yes, different weight classes are different, but would it be so hard as to make all the different weight pieces the same cosmetically?They have done that with the foe fire gloves, the salvaged forged pieces, and even with the addition of the Dhuum armor pieces currently in the wardrobe

I also don't think taking existing code and cutting it up would take 9 months especially since the art, most of the coding, etc. is already done.I would hope they have a base code to assign different cosmetic items to certain weight classes.

You are vastly oversimplifying the problem.

@Solori.6025 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:It's not just a matter of separating the pieces. For the same reason that Heavy, Light, and Medium can't be mixed, Outfits can't be mixed with any of those weights, as they are a separate weight, themselves. As stated previously, it takes ~9 months to create an Armor Set. Thus, it would take ~9 months to create the 'Armor Sets' for each Outfit. The Devs may feel that the playerbase would prefer
new
Armor Sets released, rather than old Outfits turned into Armor Sets. /shrug

Yes it would be very hard to do that. The shape, size and bulk of the meshes they use for different armour weights is very different. (It's also part of the reason why we have so many trench coats in medium armor). Going back over all the existing armor sets reworking meshes and textures would be a massive amount of work. Not to mention the effort of testing that work, adjusting it, then testing it again.

The gloves, shoulders, helms and boots they make tend to be either very bulky and so they "overwrite" the meshes, or skintight so the clipping is less of an issue. That said it still clips.

It's not the code. It's how the meshes they create for armour pieces fit together.

Again, if people are willing to pay 20-35$ for costume pieces of already existing content. I don't see the reason NOT to take the request and peoples money, especially when it's being thrown at you

Would enough people be willing to pay 20-35$ to justify the cost in producing these "costume pieces" (do you mean armour skins?) You or I have no idea if that would be the case but I personally very much doubt it.

@Solori.6025 said:Yes, different weight classes are different, but would it be so hard as to make all the different weight pieces the same cosmetically?Hard? No. Time consuming? Yes

They have done that with the foe fire gloves, the salvaged forged pieces, and even with the addition of the Dhuum armor pieces currently in the wardrobeThey aren't identical; each piece is designed to fit with the meshes of its weight. The fact that it looks identical means that they spent extra time to do so.

I also don't think taking existing code and cutting it up would take 9 months especially since the art, most of the coding, etc. is already done.You still aren't accepting that much of it has not yet been done. There's a lot more to the implementation than just how it looks to us.

I would hope they have a base code to assign different cosmetic items to certain weight classes.Then there wouldn't be that much different in looks between weights. Using preset meshes helps reduce the design/implementation time (although it also imposes unfortunate other requirements, which is why it's so hard to avoid buttcapes in medium).

Again, if people are willing to pay 20-35$ for costume pieces of already existing content. I don't see the reason NOT to take the request and peoples money, especially when it's being thrown at youit's not existing contentand it completely depends on how many people are willing to spend more

Here's an imperfect analogy to consider. For Halloween, you want to go as Dracula. The costume shop has a several options:

• A one-size-fits-all onesie: it looks like you are wearing a suit, complete with bow tie (a set of fangs are included).
  • A coat (small|medium|large), slacks (s|m|l), bow tie, white dress shirt (s|m|l); fangs included.

From a distance, they all look the same. But you can imagine that creating the coats, slacks, and shirt requires a lot more than simply taking a scissors to the onesie. The design of the s|m|l is going to start the same, but the actual pattern won't be identical; the proportions on the large will be subtly different from that of the other two.

As in the game, some characters are shorter, some thinner, so that also has to taken into account. Not to mention that asura & charr (and sometimes sylvari or norn) have different requirements from humans.

Or as someone said above

You are vastly oversimplifying the problem.

Archived