World Ability Points

kiwituatara.6053

@kiwituatara.6053 said:Any future plans for excess World Ability Points?

I'm only at gold rank and have 1277 points left. I'm sure a lot of people have more than me. Seems strange that all those points are just sitting there.

Can we change it so we can exchange those excess points for WvW Skirmishing Claim Tickets?

I am in the same boat.

We do get tickets faster than entry rank players, and I would hate to use my World Ability Points on tickets and find out I needed them later for new areas to spend them.

Though, a one to one exchange would be sweet... I can hear the salt mine explosion.....,

• ArenaNet Staff

If we ever expand on the ability system and add new things to buy having spent your points on a consumable of some kind it would feel bad if you could never unlock those new things. I know I'm talking the extreme case of being max rank and having spent all your points but it's not a scenario we can ignore. So spending your points on something like items or tickets is basically right out. For right now there isn't a plan in place to change these but you've given me something to think about.

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:If we ever expand on the ability system and add new things to buy having spent your points on a consumable of some kind it would feel bad if you could never unlock those new things. I know I'm talking the extreme case of being max rank and having spent all your points but it's not a scenario we can ignore. So spending your points on something like items or tickets is basically right out. For right now there isn't a plan in place to change these but you've given me something to think about.

That's understandable but since there are also items that have a rank requirement tied to them, isn't it basically the same thing? I think instead of focusing on spending excess points, maybe you could add some more items that have a rank req. It does not have to be too high or anything fancy.

Here are some ideas I have seen in the past...-Add WvW based Enrichment Infusions- WxP/Reward Track gain, similar to the guild hall buffs. It could be 10% and have a rank req of (for example) 100-Maybe a daily consumable item that functions like Mawdrey. It could be a good way to use up badges, tomes, obby shards, etc.

@X T D.6458 said:

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:If we ever expand on the ability system and add new things to buy having spent your points on a consumable of some kind it would feel bad if you could never unlock those new things. I know I'm talking the extreme case of being max rank and having spent all your points but it's not a scenario we can ignore. So spending your points on something like items or tickets is basically right out. For right now there isn't a plan in place to change these but you've given me something to think about.

That's understandable but since there are also items that have a rank requirement tied to them, isn't it basically the same thing? I think instead of focusing on spending excess points, maybe you could add some more items that have a rank req. It does not have to be too high or anything fancy.

Here are some ideas I have seen in the past...-Add WvW based Enrichment Infusions- WxP/Reward Track gain, similar to the guild hall buffs. It could be 10% and have a rank req of (for example) 100-Maybe a daily consumable item that functions like Mawdrey. It could be a good way to use up badges, tomes, obby shards, etc.

those would still be consumables of some sort unless the infusion is something you rent for WvW ability points and the 'daily consumable item like madrey' is a service offered by an npc that will only do that if you have unlocked some mastery, learn his language or something. this way you are able to get all your points 'unspent' again if there are future abilities to be added.

@Justine.6351 said:Ya I've thought of a few categories that would offer unlimited dimishing return sinks for points.

Increased Magic Find,0-1k, 0-150%1-5k, 150-225%,5-10k, 225%-300%

Karma,0-1k, 0-30%1-5k, 30-40%5-10k, 40-50%

WvW reward track,0-1k, 0-10%1-5k, 10-15%,5-10k, 15-20%

You know, just utility stuff.

I like this idea.I think the different things that may be affected could include:

• Magic Find (specifically in wvw)
  • Karma Gain (in wvw)
  • WvW Reward Track Gain
  • Gold Find (in wvw)
  • WvW Experience Gain

Defense Against Guards, Guard Killer, Mercenary's Bane, Siege Bunker & Siege Might are strictly numerical benefits as well and could be reworked to be exponentially costed, improving their current effectiveness but at a much higher cost. For example Guard Killer currently costs 70 points (1-4-10-20-35) to max out the benefit of +20% damage. One could instead increase the invested cost to 625 ranks for 30% damage at a rate such as 15, 50, 105, 180, 275. (Mind you I'm just throwing numbers out there, I'm not any good with exponential growths.) I wouldn't increase the numerical effectiveness of siege, though -- just the cost. These particular masteries don't provide much for utility or versatility so increasing the cost on them wouldn't alienate newer players with fewer ranks to throw around.

Unrelated, introducing a new mastery revolving around gaining and maintaining participation & generating pips would make for a decent rank point sink. I would ditch the commitment pip and bake it into this track.

~ Kovu

Archived