Hiding Footwear

Maugrim.9367

Hello Guildwars community,

Hopefully this isn't a repost, I have searched but I couldn't find a related post.

I was wondering why it is possible to hide your head, shoulder and hand armor but not the foot armor.It doesn't seem like it is something perverted or weird to have your character walk around without shoes.I have looked into other options, as the invisible slippers / boots etc, but they are 2500g. Which is, in my opinion, a ridiculous price.Hopefully people can hide the foot armor in the future as well.

Please discuss.

I always thought it made sense that you couldn't disable the foot animation, after all with all the walking our characters do, would you want to be without a sturdy pair of boots ? Basically Feet+Chest+Legs are the basic of the armor, the rest are more "optional", that makes a kind of sense in regard to normal armor (not that most armor in this game is anything like normal or sensible...).

They already added the invisible shoes for those that specifically want just the bare feet (despite the crazy price), so I can't imagine they're going to do anything more than that.

So the only thing left is to ask "Please let us hide/disable ALL armor pieces!" which I hope they never do, as I can just imagine the hordes of human female characters running around in their yellow underwear....

I agree that the invisible shoes are totally ridiculous. I quite often wish my sylvari character could have bare feet, it would suit some armors so well but I wouldn't afford 2,500g in a lifetime nevermind farming the darn thing for myself. I wouldn't even care if everyone ran around naked, I just wish it was possible to customize your character however you see fit,

• Like 1

I don't know why they decided to make it impossible to hide your shoes, but apparently the Invisible stompers/boots/slippers were created because someone at Anet really wanted to be able to hide their shoes and had been told it would never be possible, so they created those as a work-around.

Depending on the character there might be cheaper alternatives. For example light armoured sylvari can use the Orchid boots which are actually twigs wrapped around your legs leaving your feet bare, or there's the Tribal boots which are feathers tied around your calves and white paint on your feet. Or you can try using small, close-fitting shoes and dying them to match your skin.

Creating the invisible boots (at its current rarity) was a terrible design idea imo, but now that it's here we have no hope of a normal hide boots option anymore.We can only pray that anet comes to their senses that double the price of a legendary is a bit much for a hide boots option

"No shoes" seems like a luxury to me. No hat|gloves|shoulders doesn't.

People go without hats. People hardly wear shoulder gear, especially outside the 1970s-80s. Not everyone wears gloves after May. So I'd expect those items to have toggles. In contrast, except in narrow situations (certain hippies, at certain homes or temples, and a few outliers), nearly everyone walks around with footwear of some sort. (And I say this as someone who spent the better part of 3 years walking barefoot everywhere I could.)

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:"No shoes" seems like a luxury to me. No hat|gloves|shoulders doesn't.

People go without hats. People hardly wear shoulder gear, especially outside the 1970s-80s. Not everyone wears gloves after May. So I'd expect those items to have toggles. In contrast, except in narrow situations (certain hippies, at certain homes or temples, and a few outliers), nearly everyone walks around with footwear of some sort. (And I say this as someone who spent the better part of 3 years walking barefoot everywhere I could.)

A luxury worth 2500g? I am just asking Anet to look at the price and decide if they think it is still acceptable. It rivals legendary weapons, which is ridiculous imo.

@Maugrim.9367 said:A luxury worth 2500g? I am just asking Anet to look at the price and decide if they think it is still acceptable. It rivals legendary weapons, which is ridiculous imo.

The market decides what this luxury is worth. Turns out it's 2500g. Cheaper than the Chak Egg Sac, comparable to Liquid Aurillium, and serves roughly the same purpose: make people stick around on HoT maps doing metas in hopes of getting one.

@Ariurotl.3718 said:

@Maugrim.9367 said:A luxury worth 2500g? I am just asking Anet to look at the price and decide if they think it is still acceptable. It rivals legendary weapons, which is ridiculous imo.

The market decides what this luxury is worth. Turns out it's 2500g. Cheaper than the Chak Egg Sac, comparable to Liquid Aurillium, and serves roughly the same purpose: make people stick around on HoT maps doing metas in hopes of getting one.

In this case it's not just the market (aka demand) that's raising the price. It's also the fact that it's an extremely rare drop which is difficult to farm. There's only 8 Treasure Mushrooms in the game and no guarantee you'll ever get an Invisible Boot Box from them. I'm not sure what the drop-rate is but I do know it's fairly common for a group of about 20 people to do all 3 in Dragon's Stand and no one to get Invisible Boots (unless for some reason the person who gets them always chooses to keep it quiet, even when someone asks the group if anyone got it).

@Danikat.8537 said:

In this case it's not just the market (aka demand) that's raising the price. It's also the fact that it's an extremely rare drop which is difficult to farm. There's only 8 Treasure Mushrooms in the game and no guarantee you'll ever get an Invisible Boot Box from them. I'm not sure what the drop-rate is but I do know it's fairly common for a group of about 20 people to do all 3 in Dragon's Stand and no one to get Invisible Boots (unless for some reason the person who gets them always chooses to keep it quiet, even when someone asks the group if anyone got it).

@Ariurotl.3718 said:Right. That is called "supply" and that's the other half of how the market works.
Market (aka demand)
is a nonsensical qualifier.

I was trying to explain that what you'd called "the market" was only one side of the situation - the demand for the item and you also need to consider the supply. I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough for you to follow that.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:I think people that's interested in no footwear has never been through the pain and suffering you go through after walking a day without them out in the wild (aka not in your house).Oh gods, the pain after that.

That's because you haven't built up the necessary callous to bare it.Tribal people walk barefoot just fine.

Yeah but... not sidewalks and asphalt...I could see if we're only going in places like HoT, but PoF without footwear in that sand, the cities, the areas outside of the cities...Never seen so many scrapes and "air bubbles" and scabs and whatever else under my foot.

Charrs would like it.

Another option I forgot to mention earlier: don't equip boots. Obviously the downside there is you loose stats, but in a lot of situations you could probably get away with it. The problem, if you're anything like me, is remembering to equip them when you're doing something where you really do need a full set of armour.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:I think people that's interested in no footwear has never been through the pain and suffering you go through after walking a day without them out in the wild (aka not in your house).Oh gods, the pain after that.

That's because you haven't built up the necessary callous to bare it.Tribal people walk barefoot just fine.

It also depends on what you're walking on. You can do serious damage walking barefoot on hot concrete or asphalt. Or black sand for that matter. I'm told you can fry eggs on a black sand beach in the summer but I've never had the opportunity to try. I can confirm you can burn you feet however, and this was only about 10am so it hadn't even been baking in the sun all day.

By comparison bare earth, grass or white/beige sand is quite cool and much more comfortable to walk on (although you do need to build up the callous or it will still be uncomfortable). Rocks vary, depending on the type of rock and how rough the surface is.

@"Maugrim.9367" said:Obviously everyone agrees. Unhide foot armor for the greater good.

How did you get to that conclusion ?

I wouldn't mind if they gave the OPTION for it, but at the same time, I can't imagine anything I'd shuffle further down on the bottom of priority order. Especially considering they already made the invisible shoes to "solve" that problem already.

Heck, I'd almost rather have a hide chest/leg, so I can somehow get rid of all the annoying trenchcoats and butcapes. But I know where that would end, and don't want to see Bikini Wars 2. I'd much rather have an option to disable the trenchcoat and butcapes by just chopping them off!