WvW will we ever get mounts and what mounts should we see and not see?

Ronin.9376

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Aeolus.3615 said:WE already have mounts... it is called golems :astonished:

A charr tank build from supply (alot of supply)would be kewl i guess, but would be limited 1 per alliance, and up to 8 players xD

.......a charr tank.....

looks at a random charr

looks at my ballista

jumps on the charr and tries to attach the ballista to his back as he screams for help

moral lesson: never mention an idea where an Inquest Asura might hear it >=D we come up with different ideas

but yeah, that would be interesting.

First, ANet's going to figure out how to restructure WvW to focus on Alliances as the organizing unit of match ups (and removing "Worlds"). Then, they are going to fiddle with the formulas to make sure that the match-ups are interesting and "fair" (not to mention, figuring out how to measure "interesting" or "fair"). Then they are going to look at rewards and basic elements (rules, scoring, structure locations). I'm sure the skill/trait balance team is going to be busy as well.

And then, they will have time to take a look at mobility and whether mounts ought to be part of addressing it. Personally, I think the Alpine maps are 'small' enough without mounts and stuff in EB is almost too close. The Desert map, however... it has a lot of mechanics that allow you to travel quickly, but most people haven't bothered to learn them, so mounts might be something worth considering. For example, instead of shrines providing some sort of offensive/defensive buff, the air shrine could allow some sort of griffon-like mount for a couple of minutes, fire could give you a short-term raptor, etc. (Then, of course, we'd need to see new traps to forcibly dismount people and other things to counter a mad rush.)

Personally, I see no problem with mounts in WvW as long as they disable all special abilities.

Basically mounts will just be extra movement speed and nothing else.

That would spare Anet a major headache not only when it comes to PvP balance of the mount attacks, but also players using the special movement abilities to get somewhere they were never meant to.

For mounts to be allowed in WvW without breaking the game, they'd have to have 0% movement speed increase but benefit from swiftness. I don't really see the point of them given those constraints, except for the Skimmer, which would allow us to hover over water instead of swim.

IMO they should simply accept all the new stuff in WvW and balance from the base. The mode is already in need of a revamp so huge, It just make sense to include all the fun stuff: gliding, mounts, etc. Everything in PvE should exist in WvW: anet will need to do heavy balance anyway, trying to keep changes at a minimum haven't helped at all.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:At first I wanted mounts in WvW, but then I thought about the mount engage skills, now I don't want mounts in WvW.

@Oglaf.1074 said:Personally, I see no problem with mounts in WvW as long as they disable all special abilities.

That would spare Anet a major headache not only when it comes to PvP balance of the mount attacks, but also players using the special movement abilities to get somewhere they were never meant to.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:At first I wanted mounts in WvW, but then I thought about the mount engage skills, now I don't want mounts in WvW.

@Oglaf.1074 said:Personally, I see no problem with mounts in WvW as long as
they disable all special abilities

You don't have to get all passive aggressive just because I skimmed and didn't see your post.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

You don't have to get all passive aggressive just because I skimmed and didn't see your post.

hey please keep it peace full no calling some one out or trolling this is for fun

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

You don't have to get all passive aggressive

That was not my intention: I merely quoted my own post rather than have to rewrite it all again.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

You don't have to get all passive aggressive

That was not my intention: I merely quoted my own post rather than have to rewrite it all again.

your fine lol I really like the idea ya had

Agreed with the disabling abilities of mounts, I'm having a hard time imaging how wvw would work if the bunny-jump or griffon flying was allowed. On the other hand, it might actually would have made it more fun fighting against T3 smc and keeps... And I do love the idea of roaming small group on a raptor-pack.

So yeah, I do think the best solution I've seen so far is to keep just the passive speed advantage, equal it to the shrine bonus somehow (so those without mount can also get similar), and perhaps limit it to Desert to begin with to see how it works first?

That said, even while disabling the special abilities of each mount, there is something to be said about the extra "dismount jump", I'm sure someone would find some way to exploit that to get in somewhere they shouldn't...

Archived