An idea for a new Skimmer mastery

It's a pretty simple idea that's probably pretty tough to execute but humor me (because I know I can't be the first person who thought of this). Allow us to mount our skimmer underwater like how we can mount our griffon mid-air. It would make for an amazing super fast underwater mount with a cool holding onto the skimmer reins as it's zipping around underwater.Bonus : Breaching the surface is an awesome splash out of the water into the air as we seamlessly switch to standard skimmer action on the surface.

That would be pretty freakin' awesome, right?

A lot of people have asked for this ability, but I think it doesn't make a lot of sense. Given that the vertical axis is one of the directions you travel underwater, the ability to suddenly zip to the surface is equivalent to having a raptor mount that can suddenly zip 100 yards horizontally. You're simply not intended to be THAT mobile. Skimmers are already a great way to travel in areas spotted with water patches/lava, or for safely descending from amazing heights. I think they're good enough.

@Biff.5312 said:A lot of people have asked for this ability, but I think it doesn't make a lot of sense. Given that the vertical axis is one of the directions you travel underwater, the ability to suddenly zip to the surface is equivalent to having a raptor mount that can suddenly zip 100 yards horizontally. You're simply not intended to be THAT mobile. Skimmers are already a great way to travel in areas spotted with water patches/lava, or for safely descending from amazing heights. I think they're good enough.

What advantage does zipping to the waters surface offer though beyond getting there faster? It's not like it would work while you're downed or anything. Zipping around underwater on a skimmer in general to skip mobs and get to point B from point A isn't any different from what they do on land.

It'd just be a neat thing to have the skimmer do offered as a new mastery line to add that kind of mobility underwater as well, since they're aquatic creatures and in my head it looks really cool.

So naturally Anet could probably make it like 5x cooler if they committed to doing it. It would be a niche thing like we got with the new downed skill in Spectral Agony. It would just be a really cool thing to have.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

@Biff.5312 said:A lot of people have asked for this ability, but I think it doesn't make a lot of sense. Given that the vertical axis is one of the directions you travel underwater, the ability to suddenly zip to the surface is equivalent to having a raptor mount that can suddenly zip 100 yards horizontally. You're simply not intended to be THAT mobile. Skimmers are already a great way to travel in areas spotted with water patches/lava, or for safely descending from amazing heights. I think they're good enough.

Zipping around underwater on a skimmer in general to skip mobs and get to point B from point A isn't any different from what they do on land.

If the vertical movement was no faster than their horizontal movement, I guess that would be the case. I imagined what was being proposed was a super-fast ascent.

@Biff.5312 said:

Zipping around underwater on a skimmer in general to skip mobs and get to point B from point A isn't any different from what they do on land.

If the vertical movement was no faster than their horizontal movement, I guess that would be the case. I imagined what was being proposed was a super-fast ascent.

If you're talking about the water breaching thing I mentioned I mean, it shouldn't send you into outer space? Just be a cool splash out of the water back onto the surface skimming kind of thing, yeah?

Archived