Swim-speed Infusion improbability...

Has anyone received an answer from Anet about the ridiculousness of getting the +30 Swim speed infusions? I haven't seen any response, but wondered if I had missed something.

It's odd that they would bring this in without at least one person in their dev team putting their hand up and asking "Um...what? Are we sure about these numbers?".

Or am I missing something? Has someone actually got the breather?

Last line edited to: Also, has someone actually been able to get the breather?

Sorry....didn't mean to mention the breather in that context. That last line should have been a separate line. I hijacked my own topic to ask two questions. To clarify, the last line should be: Also, has someone actually been able to get the breather?

I watched the Guild Chat and they didn't actually explain the math behind level 30 infusions.

@"misterman.1530" said:Has anyone received an answer from Anet about the ridiculousness of getting the +30 Swim speed infusions? I haven't seen any response, but wondered if I had missed something.

It's odd that they would bring this in without at least one person in their dev team putting their hand up and asking "Um...what? Are we sure about these numbers?".

Well... Welcome to Guild Wars 2?It's not exactly unknown for Devs to show their detachment from the game's reality through notoriously weird "pricing" of stuff...Look at Linseed oil, the prices for just about every ascended item on PoF heart vendors, Mounts, etc, etc.There's a lot of ridiculously priced stuff in GW2, this is just the latest. And if history is a predictor of their behaviour, they'll either never address this or double down on it.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@"misterman.1530" said:Has anyone received an answer from Anet about the ridiculousness of getting the +30 Swim speed infusions? I haven't seen any response, but wondered if I had missed something.

Well... Welcome to Guild Wars 2?It's not exactly unknown for Devs to show their detachment from the game's reality through notoriously weird "pricing" of stuff...Look at Linseed oil, the prices for just about
every
ascended item on PoF heart vendors, Mounts, etc, etc.There's a lot of ridiculously priced stuff in GW2, this is just the latest. And if history is a predictor of their behaviour, they'll either never address this or double down on it.

...or, perhaps, someone did put up their hand and ask that question, as they did with all those other prices?

You can think the prices are ridiculous, but that doesn't mean that ANet necessarily have to think that. I mean, I don't agree with you on, eg, the price of ascended stuff, or the griffon mount, which I think are reasonable prices for them.

The same observations you use to conclude that ANet are (a) disconnected from the game entirely, and (b) never fix a known problem with prices, well... they also support the conclusion that ANet know what they are doing, and set these prices deliberately.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

Well... Welcome to Guild Wars 2?It's not exactly unknown for Devs to show their detachment from the game's reality through notoriously weird "pricing" of stuff...Look at Linseed oil, the prices for just about
every
ascended item on PoF heart vendors, Mounts, etc, etc.There's a lot of ridiculously priced stuff in GW2, this is just the latest. And if history is a predictor of their behaviour, they'll either never address this or double down on it.

...or, perhaps, someone did put up their hand and ask that question, as they did with all those other prices?

You can think the prices are ridiculous, but that doesn't mean that ANet necessarily have to think that. I mean, I don't agree with you on, eg, the price of ascended stuff, or the griffon mount, which I think are reasonable prices for them.

The same observations you use to conclude that ANet are (a) disconnected from the game entirely, and (b) never fix a known problem with prices, well... they also support the conclusion that ANet know what they are doing, and set these prices deliberately.

When i mentioned mounts i meant mount skins. Griffon might be a bit pricy, but it's actually one of the situations where i don't disagree with their implementation (see below). But Mount skins are really overpriced compared to the average of the Gem store.

It is deliberate. But they don't know what they're doing, for sure. They do those things to "guide" player behaviour, but 9/10 this either results in an extreme reaction towards or against their intention.I can cite examples:They made silk requirements for Ascended armor double of other materials (while also having cloth being the most used ingredient in all recipes). This was because silk was dirt cheap at the time, and they thought it should be more expensive. The result of this was that Silk became so expensive it turned people off making ascended armor, and instead of balancing this they upped requirements for leather, which now made silk dirt cheap, but leather extremely expensive. And that's just one example, but the pattern is there if you played the game for long enough. PoF extreme prices was probably as an incentive for people farming PoF maps, but had the opposite effect, people just doubled down on the cheaper ascended items.Arena Net tends to get on the cheap and easy route to things, and given that it rarely works as intended, it does show their detachment.There's a second effect of this. They tend to balance these costs based on the notion that a lot of players (like me) keep large stocks of materials, this ends up having a detrimental effect on those who don't, especially new players.Instead of creating "high lvl" sinks for materials, and keep other stuff as "medium" (Griffon is a good example of this being properly done), they tend to put all their eggs in one basket, which creates an unpleasant experience for new players.They might even have a plan for future stuff that will drop more infusions than current chests, but the thing is, right now it's excessive and discouraging. Their detachment isn't just from "making things expensive" is because they don't consider their actions.A great example of this is mount-gate. They could have rolled it out with the exact same plan, but with a different presentation (like selling them for gold, but at the same conversion cost, or rolling out smaller sets of mounts at a time) and it would have had an entirely different effect.

@misterman.1530 said:Has anyone received an answer from Anet about the ridiculousness of getting the +30 Swim speed infusions? I haven't seen any response, but wondered if I had missed something.Pretend that ANet capped the new infusions at Swim+20.

It's an arbitrary limit; they could have stopped at 20 or 40 or 100. The exponential costs are parallel to that of agony resistance infusions and Swim+30 is just as unnecessary a goal as AR+30 infusions are.

tl;dr nothing to see here.

I think people is harping on this as only one swim speed infusion is needed, and completely missing that its same scaling as standard AR infusions. Clearly just copypaste.And the cost of swim speed infusions is already dropping fast, like 15 going from 50g to 34g.I aim for a +20 myself. Heard that +10 is 33% increased swimspeed.

@LucianDK.8615 said:I think people is harping on this as only one swim speed infusion is needed, and completely missing that its same scaling as standard AR infusions. Clearly just copypaste.And the cost of swim speed infusions is already dropping fast, like 15 going from 50g to 34g.I aim for a +20 myself. Heard that +10 is 33% increased swimspeed.

Yep, at 1,024 +10 infusions and ~23g +20 won't be so bad once the prices drop.

It may be ridiculous right now, but in a few months it won't be that extreme anymore. Keep in mind that they may have planned a dozen other things and ways to acquire the infusions, perhaps they get added to fractal rewards or into the loot table of underwater mobs. Who knows

Considering how expensive the breathers are if you buy with winterberries, I don't really see why anyone expects them not to be just as pricey this way. If all goals were achievable in no time, nobody would have anything to do in the game.

Archived