Make Choices in Character Creation Great Ag... Still — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Make Choices in Character Creation Great Ag... Still

So the Charm/Dignity/Intimidate feature of the character creation is pretty meaningless...

And my human can only outrun a centaur and be greedy af, to the point its grating... Meanwhile my Charr and Norn think it is morally correct to punch first and forget to ask questions while punching.

Can we get more ambient voice lines for every sex/race, and have it so that Charm/Dignity/Intimidation give a character distinct ambient voice lines in addition to the current shared voice lines, giving our characters more personality?

I'm really sick of having Slowpoke lying about outrunning a centaur or taking pride in her non existent greed, and listening to Kittycow insist that punching things is the morally correct answer, but can't bear to turn off the ambient voice lines...

I might as well be Asura, statistically speaking, the female Asura speaks a lot like I do, and is relatable, though I may be a stereotype...

And that's my fundamental problem, three of five races' ambient voice lines feel like they are living stereotypes.

Comments

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would say "I can outrun a centaur" is the charm one since its abit tongue in cheek to be fair.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

To be honest i just wish we had more than like..2 things that could be said for each action, give me 10 and let them be said at random!!!

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• reddie.5861reddie.5861 Member ✭✭✭

open any mmo game.
    go in options.
    look for sound options.

mute master sound [v]
    click escape
    enjoy playing any given mmo..

sounds in mmo are so freaking annoying and waste of time to put so much time into it.

• Torzini.1523Torzini.1523 Member ✭✭✭

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Torzini.1523 said:
    GW2 is ahead of most other MMOs due to having personal story choices etc, so I very much appreciate what we have already.

Only it isn't.
    The story choices in GW2 present the "illusion" of choice and impact on the game world.
    I can choose a distinct order to join and get a few different missions but at the end of the day, my mentor dies in Claw Island the exact same way, no matter who they are. That gate closes behind Sieran, Forgal and Tybalt is the exact same way at the exact same time.
    At the climax of the personal story, it's always the exact same mission, done the exact same way, with the same group of hangers-on from Destiny's Edge "helping" me.
    And after Zhaitan dies there is absolutely no functional difference in the story no matter what I say or do. It is very much an on-rails delivery.
    GW2 is years behind Star Wars The Old Republic, in terms of impact from choices in dialog or action. It is equally distant from The Secret World in terms of writing and delivery. The story, it's writing and delivery remain GW2's weakest area, and while the storytelling has drastically improved over the past 3 years, it has little do do with the tale being told getting better. It's gotten better at delivering it's below average narrative, to the point where we can actually look past some of the weaknesses.
    It is,however, most definitely very far behind many other games in the genre.

Yeah, I can get behind much of that. That's why I said there is absolute loads of potential in what they could do, yet haven't done. While I agree with your assessment of SWTOR, I'd have to disagree with The Secret World because, while TSW's writing is indeed phenomenal, they don't ever give you even the illusion of choice as far as I recall (aside from initial faction choice). That's the one particular aspect that I think GW2 deserves a little credit for; most MMO storylines don't give you any semblance of choice at all, every single character has the exact same storyline full stop. While there's lots of room for improvement, I think 'definitely very far behind many other games in the genre' is a pretty big overexaggeration.

• Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

Yeah, personality amounted to nothing but character flavor. :/

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Torzini.1523 said:
    Yeah, I can get behind much of that. That's why I said there is absolute loads of potential in what they could do, yet haven't done. While I agree with your assessment of SWTOR, I'd have to disagree with The Secret World because, while TSW's writing is indeed phenomenal, they don't ever give you even the illusion of choice as far as I recall (aside from initial faction choice). That's the one particular aspect that I think GW2 deserves a little credit for; most MMO storylines don't give you any semblance of choice at all, every single character has the exact same storyline full stop. While there's lots of room for improvement, I think 'definitely very far behind many other games in the genre' is a pretty big overexaggeration.

Agree about TSW, but I definitely feel that the Faction choice was far more interesting and impactful than the order choice in Gw2.

I don't think I exaggerated at all.
    The personal story in GW2 is so heavily marred by bad storytelling and execution that it's not a matter of me splitting hairs or being overly critical. The side by side cutscenes are so poorly made it comes off as laughable. From the poorly animated lesser species, to the same VA doing multiple important characters(the Asura chapters suffer heavily here), all spouting off cliche dialog to lead you to the exact same point...well it comes off as a bad highschool play or a child's puppet show.
    The meme joke writing of the LW stories has become so tired with their mandatory guaranteed chuckle every 4 lines that it's effectively left me left less interested as we move forward, not more.

The last episode of the story had us face off against one of this franchise's signature villains. The villain was reduced to a cliche with "theater" dialog. A centuries old Lich, in total control of a sizable chunk of the known world and we got lines like "It's Showtime".
    And then, after a hard fought victory against the Lich we have that win completely taken away from us by a "oh by the way, I'm immortal" line. You know, just to invalidate all the action before it.
    And what happens next?
    Yet another Deus Ex Machina, as our pet dragon swoops in to save the day.
    ...followed, of course, by a couple "ewwwww gross" burp jokes.

I'm definitely not exaggerating when I say many other games do it much better.

To be fair to GW2, the GW1 story also had just as many issues with its plot, and unlike Liches in other universes..liches here have just been powerful mages that arent immortal, more like..psuedo immortality i guess, in that they can be killed, with no means of them coming back.

Joko also if i recall properly was a joker in GW1 as well, so theres some background there, and he was never a signature Villian, he was a sub plot villian nothing more, hell he wasnt even a real villian, he wasnt good sure but he also wasnt evil. Abbadon was a villian, Shiro was a villian, and the Lich was a villian. Joko..was in like 4 missions(including the DLC that focused on the battle.) and i totally forgot he existed before they brought him back in GW2, same with Lazarus to a lesser extent and i do believe Lazarus got a ending 1000x worse than what Joko did or ever could have gotten. If anet plays it out well, could have what Joko said impact the PC, and the people around him/her to a degree so far unexplored in the story.

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:
    I was so disappointed in my first play through when my old krewe showed up in Orr and showed no sign of even recognizing me.

Oh my god, THIS.

It bugs me to no end when characters I'm supposed to be close to act like they've never met me to accommodate the players who didn't meet them.

• Wolfb.7025Wolfb.7025 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018

@Lizdeath.5143 said:
    So the Charm/Dignity/Intimidate feature of the character creation is pretty meaningless...

Can we get more ambient voice lines for every sex/race, and have it so that Charm/Dignity/Intimidation give a character distinct ambient voice lines in addition to the current shared voice lines, giving our characters more personality?

And that's my fundamental problem, three of five races' ambient voice lines feel like they are living stereotypes.

For me, most Charr enviromental lines, and the general voice acting through the story sounds a lot like the personality choice I decided; Dignity/Diplomatic. I'm with you in that we need more lines depending on personality choices, geez I'd even die if we had different general voice options for our characters, it is absolutely weird joining a Charr partner in their story and that his voice sounds exactly like mine. (I honestly couldn't imagine his charr having my voice in the first place, but another tone of voice by just looking at his appearance).

I'm always positivie on having more diversity options. It sums up to your character uniqueness.

Years just pass like trains
    I wave but they don't sloow dooown~ don't slow doown~♪

• Zoid.2568Zoid.2568 Member ✭✭✭

Imo they should change the facial expression and the posture depending on the decision you made. I think they have this in other mmorpgs and it works.

• I'm a firm believer that you can't have character choices and voice acting. Voice acting shoehorns too much personality into a character to allow room for player agency.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Torzini.1523 said:
    GW2 is ahead of most other MMOs due to having personal story choices etc, so I very much appreciate what we have already.

Only it isn't.
    The story choices in GW2 present the "illusion" of choice and impact on the game world. [...]

So much this. :+1: It has been my biggest point of criticism over the years. (E.g., the majority of my characters does not want to be a member of the Shining Blade and couldn't care less about Livia's plans.)

I am still hoping for change, although the devs have always replied that there won't be any changes and going back to personal story choices or making personality matter again in the future. :/

• @reddie.5861 said:
    open any mmo game.
    go in options.
    look for sound options.

mute master sound [v]
    click escape
    enjoy playing any given mmo..

sounds in mmo are so freaking annoying and waste of time to put so much time into it.

No thanks.

I love much of the ambience, I usually only play Asura and can relate to the lines. Statistically speaking, statistically speaking is a rather common phrase I use.

All I have to say about outrunning centaurs is that, as an archer, a good marksman doesn't need to, as it would only take one arrow to cripple it and make its land speed irrelevant.

Most things aren't irritating, and most things have quite a bit of charm.

• mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    I am still hoping for change, although the devs have always replied that there won't be any changes and going back to personal story choices or making personality matter again in the future. :/

The damage in the personal story is done for me. I have 18 Alts and I've completed personal story on 14 of them. You could redo the whole thing right now and slap a "GW2.5" label on it and I probably still wouldn't play it again.
    I'm not one of those who believes that a "Core Tyria revamp" would draw in more customers or justify the cost. I'm actually quite sure it wouldn't. The base game has an above average 1-80 experience. If you take the personal story out of the equation, I feel the base game is pretty strong compared to it's direct competition.

All that needs to happen is to find writers who are as engaged in the lore of GW2 as the world builders. Dialog that shows the same passion and commitment to the franchise as the Art department shows is all it would take. You don't have to do a cataclysm or retcon the old material.
    Just make the new stuff better.
    What we have right now is a writing team that seems to think Buffy the Vampire Slayer was great storytelling, mimicking Joss Whedon's "joke a minute" irony and self -depricating gags as if they were in some way something to aspire to.
    The franchise has lost it's way writing fresh and original stories and dialog, choosing instead to remix current box-office superhero movies as much as it can and throwing in nods to the original game's story as justification.
    It's become afraid to take itself seriously in terms of both story and delivery. It's chosen to follow the dialog stylings of the Avengers films instead of carving it's own niche and relying on itself, rather than gimmicks.

Changing that, going forward is all it would take for me to fall back in love. Show some passion and dedication to the lore, don't be afraid to take yourselves seriously once in a while and throw out the cringy jokes from Taimi every 4 lines.

Then I could tell my friends "hey the story in the base game is really below average, but you don't have to do it, and the new material is excellent."

• I'm always positivie on having more diversity options. It sums up to your character uniqueness.

This so much.

They don't even have to do it all at once. They could record an extra environment line here and there during recording sessions and add them as a slow patch by patch overhaul.

Additional voices would be cool, but I'd expect to pay to unlock them for the account, as that's a lot of dialogue lines to record.

They could do it as race/sex voice packs (Charr Male voice pack), and have 10 things for some amount of gems where you could buy all of them for the price of an expansion, say 240 gems per pack. It would allow players to buy voice packs for their most commonly played character type. How many VAs do they have on contract?

Can pretty easily add to the inventory of environmental lines and make that personality flair a thing by adding a few lines here and there each recording session.

As for the outrunning a centaur being a charm thing, I seem charm as being associated with being likeable and deception, dignity as being uncorruptable, and intimidation as being about punching through barriers. Each have their strengths and character flaws. Environmental lines seems like a good budget solution to make it relevant.

• Rognik.2579Rognik.2579 Member ✭✭✭

@Lizdeath.5143 said:

I'm always positivie on having more diversity options. It sums up to your character uniqueness.

This so much.

They don't even have to do it all at once. They could record an extra environment line here and there during recording sessions and add them as a slow patch by patch overhaul.

Additional voices would be cool, but I'd expect to pay to unlock them for the account, as that's a lot of dialogue lines to record.

They could do it as race/sex voice packs (Charr Male voice pack), and have 10 things for some amount of gems where you could buy all of them for the price of an expansion, say 240 gems per pack. It would allow players to buy voice packs for their most commonly played character type. How many VAs do they have on contract?

Sadly, a voice pack won't work because your character speaks in so much of the game. I'd argue that it'd be more jarring to hear a different voice while in the story, and after paying money for a voice pack, there'd be complaints. There's too much dialog already to redo all the old chapters. It's a nice idea, but impractical.

• @Rognik.2579 said:

@Lizdeath.5143 said:

This so much.

Sadly, a voice pack won't work because your character speaks in so much of the game. I'd argue that it'd be more jarring to hear a different voice while in the story, and after paying money for a voice pack, there'd be complaints. There's too much dialog already to redo all the old chapters. It's a nice idea, but impractical.

Sorry, I thought that it would be implied that a voice pack would be for every line in the game, there would be absolutely no sense in producing one otherwise.

Different concept than adding more environmental lines.

• Rognik.2579Rognik.2579 Member ✭✭✭

@Lizdeath.5143 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:

@Lizdeath.5143 said:

This so much.

Sorry, I thought that it would be implied that a voice pack would be for every line in the game, there would be absolutely no sense in producing one otherwise.

That's even worse, as there are tons of lines that'd have to be rerecorded and downloaded in all the files, increasing the .dat bloat.

• Squirrel.6318Squirrel.6318 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2018

I would pay to have my male human have a different voice, no offense to the voice actor, but the guy's voice is too goofy. Main reason why i'm always hesitant to play my male human character. Like I look pretty kitten, i'm slaughtering all these enemies, and then this goofy voice comes out and I face palm. Sylvari male is my favorite. Really unique voice, and the guy does a really good job with his emotions. He makes it sound like he's actually there.

• joneirikb.7506joneirikb.7506 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rognik.2579 said:

@Lizdeath.5143 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:

@Lizdeath.5143 said:

This so much.

That's even worse, as there are tons of lines that'd have to be rerecorded and downloaded in all the files, increasing the .dat bloat.

Also just to point out it would cost a lot, voice acting isn't cheap.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
    "Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth." - J. Michael Straczynski
    "GW2 is a MSOFGG: Mass Singleplayer Online Fashion Grinding Game" -me

• @joneirikb.7506 said:

Distributed over a number of buyers, the cost is negligible.

Environmental lines would be worth trivial amounts if tacked on to a current recording session.

Keep in mind that $1 million distributed over 1 million people is $1.

• joneirikb.7506joneirikb.7506 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Lizdeath.5143 said:

@joneirikb.7506 said:

Distributed over a number of buyers, the cost is negligible.

Environmental lines would be worth trivial amounts if tacked on to a current recording session.

Keep in mind that $1 million distributed over 1 million people is $1.

That assumes there is enough interest for it. It would also take a lot of time that might take from other things/projects/works. I'm fairly certain there is a reason we don't have this already, and that is likely because ANet decided when making the initial game that it wouldn't be worth it for them.

I could see text-packs, possibly even changes to the default comments (like I could outrun a centaur etc), possibly even by the same voice actors just making variations and different tones to the existing ones (so they remain compatible with the story voicing).

Just pointing out that there are a lot of things to consider, and that ANet probably already considered them while developing the game, and thus not likely to change it now.

If they do change that however, sure, nice for whoever likes that. Personally don't really mind either way, not interested in it myself.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
    "Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth." - J. Michael Straczynski
    "GW2 is a MSOFGG: Mass Singleplayer Online Fashion Grinding Game" -me

• Rhyse.8179Rhyse.8179 Member ✭✭✭

Most of them are basically unimplemented features at this point.

There's a choice for the lvl 10 story chain, the lvl 20 story chain, which NPC appears in your home instance, and a bunch of stuff that isn't implemented anymore (like dignity etc). Ghosts of a content patch long past...

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@mindcircus.1506 said:
    The damage in the personal story is done for me. I have 18 Alts and I've completed personal story on 14 of them. You could redo the whole thing right now and slap a "GW2.5" label on it and I probably still wouldn't play it again.

The different story paths in the personal story (up to Claw Island, where it got extremely bad) was the best part of GW2 so far. It was all about you, not about some Elder Dragons or Gods, simple (wo)men stuff. There were personal storylines that were so much fun to play, because they let you truly immerse in the game and made your character feel more unique.

I miss that approach, and the impact of personality choices.

What we have right now is a writing team that seems to think Buffy the Vampire Slayer was great storytelling, mimicking Joss Whedon's "joke a minute" irony and self -depricating gags as if they were in some way something to aspire to.

:+1: That is true, but I have been feeling some distinct improvement in that department lately. Haven't you?

It's become afraid to take itself seriously in terms of both story and delivery. It's chosen to follow the dialog stylings of the Avengers films instead of carving it's own niche and relying on itself, rather than gimmicks.

Changing that, going forward is all it would take for me to fall back in love. Show some passion and dedication to the lore, don't be afraid to take yourselves seriously once in a while and throw out the cringy jokes from Taimi every 4 lines.

I have been complaining about the lack of mature, non-colloquial dialogue for a long time now. But I haven't given up on the writers with the recent improvements. ;)

• The writing could benefit by making two more lines of dialogue so there is one line for each "personality" type.

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    :+1: That is true, but I have been feeling some distinct improvement in that department lately. Haven't you?

It depends on what you mean by "lately".
    Since Core? Absolutely.
    The story, it's dialog, presentation and flow started improving around HoT. Season 3 was uneven, but the heights of it (The Lake Doric episode and some of ep6) were actually quite good.

Path of Fire continues this uneven cadence, with the instance in Kormir's library, Vlast's sacrifice, or the cutscene in Kesho being among the best moments this franchise has given us. Other parts, like the calls to Taimi, the plot line involving Rytlock and Balthazaar, or the story of us "tricking" our way into command of Joko's army, being some of it's worst and most cliche'.
    The rest of PoF was so good that the uneven story got a pass from me.

Since PoF?
    No.
    The three LS3 episodes we have been given have been technically excellent, but the story and dialog gets objectively worse with each part. The world building has been a genuine step above anything we've got since all that passion was poured into the world at launch. But the story?
    Ep3 left an unqualified bad taste in my mouth. I won't remember it for the new mount, I won't carry memories of the new map. I will remember it for how the main villain for the past year was reduced to corny dialog, how our victory taken from us by bad writing and the burp jokes after the deus ex.

There's been a real increase in quality of the delivery, absolutely. You just have to compare the final fight of the personal story and the fight against Joko at the end of the last LS episode. The actually fight we got was so much better.
    But that's the delivery.
    The story itself and the dialog especially, is objectively poor. It's propped up pretty heavily by the map designers and the art department. The story mission devs are doing an incredible job, the artists are at the height of their game delivering some of the best content in the industry. Anet is killing it these days and it makes me happy.

But the story is still not something that can be recommended, and I think the quality varies so heavily from episode to episode that it's not really fair to say it's getting better.
    The product as a whole sure is, though.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

If you do a search, somewhere, probably on Google, there was an explanation from ArenaNet why they left the Charm/Dignity/Ferocious options behind...it was deliberate and there was a very good reason.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2018

@Zaklex.6308 said:
    If you do a search, somewhere, probably on Google, there was an explanation from ArenaNet why they left the Charm/Dignity/Ferocious options behind...it was deliberate and there was a very good reason.

I would think the wiki got that very good reason but I cant spot it..... care to googlefu some for me?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personality
    Edit
    If I would have to guess its the spagetti code we have in game that would break down the personal story that use it from time to time.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:

I would think the wiki got that very good reason but I cant spot it..... care to googlefu some for me?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personality
    Edit
    If I would have to guess its the spagetti code we have in game that would break down the personal story that use it from time to time.

I'll have to admit a slight mistake, it's a lot harder to find than I thought...it's also possible that it wasn't anyone from ArenaNet, but there have been discussions on this particular subject before, which I will be glad to link here. One was on these forums: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/22586/my-story-doesnt-matter-anymore and another was on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2ynmsj/why_was_the_personality_system_removed/ . They may or may not give you more insight on the matter.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Iunno, some of Joko's lines certainly made me look back on story thusfar, and has me interested in seeing where they'll take that. Joko made some good points, morality isn't cut and dry, and that instance had some interesting foreshadowing potential, especially when taken into context with S3.

• Yeah, it once seemed to have real impact. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personality But I must admit I feel "off' when my Norn keeps insisting that "might makes me right" even when I dont' roleplay the character with that mindset. On the otherhand, my Asura warrior saying "You're dumb. You'll die, and you'll leave a dumb corpse." fits her personality perfectly.

• Funky.4861Funky.4861 Member ✭✭✭

Holy necropost Batman!

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭

@mindcircus.1506 said:
    GW2 is years behind Star Wars The Old Republic, in terms of impact from choices in dialog or action.

Beside those problems,c an we also PLEASE drop the title "Commander"!? I don't know about Human, Sylvari and Norn but Asura and Charr have title that fit: "Krewe leader"; "Centurion", instead of calling Dragon Watch a guild, call it a Krewe or a Warband. How about give us 1 race-specific quest? Looks up SWTOR: Rishi classes mission. Anything really to make my character's race matter but Nope! Let just be lazy and call everyone Commander and also make my Charr join the Shining Blade, a Human faction. Heck even in Onslaught, 1 character addressed your Sith Inquisitor's original title.

• Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2019

Agree with most people here the lack of immersion in this game is over 9000... Characters not knowing us, annoying character lines over and over.. Being called the commander has got zero meaning now.. Character races joining groups that never should have been allowed... Its just bad form.

Dunno where it happened but somewhere along the road GW2 crashed into the trees, rolled over a few times and burst into flames story and mechanics wise.

• It would be great if they Add dialogs which rotate instead of one line "I can outrun a centaur"

• I would like to have the option of a big ole male Charr with a cubs voice or the option to pick accent

@Ultramex.1506 said:

@mindcircus.1506 said:
    GW2 is years behind Star Wars The Old Republic, in terms of impact from choices in dialog or action.

Beside those problems,c an we also PLEASE drop the title "Commander"!? I don't know about Human, Sylvari and Norn but Asura and Charr have title that fit: "Krewe leader"; "Centurion", instead of calling Dragon Watch a guild, call it a Krewe or a Warband. How about give us 1 race-specific quest? Looks up SWTOR: Rishi classes mission. Anything really to make my character's race matter but Nope! Let just be lazy and call everyone Commander and also make my Charr join the Shining Blade, a Human faction. Heck even in Onslaught, 1 character addressed your Sith Inquisitor's original title.

Actually the Commander title is used consistently well and isn't one of the places the delivery drops the ball too badly. During the personal story we are generally referred to by the correct honorific that changes from story step to story step. We are called Warmaster when applicable, Recruit when applicable ect... the Commander title doesnt stick until this is indeed our title as Pact Commander.
    After the personal story that's how we are known across the world. Banghar, for example refers to us by this honorific very pointedly, in respect. It's our last known "job"... very much like a past president still being called "President".
    It really is a pretty small nit to pick.

I also wonder why so many people have a problem with our non-human player characters being allowed into Shining Blade when there was clearly a precedent in Canach being part of the group. Always seemed to me to be a strange rallying cry for people when clearly opposition to it runs against the established lore of the game.
    There's tons of things wrong with the delivery of the story without the need to fall into rhetoric because your ego isnt stroked enough or the story deviates from your head-cannon.

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭

yes, please! even something as simple as adding some more voices, sentences and expresssions, based on the type of personality, would be AWESOME, and make our characters feel more alive!

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Ultramex.1506 said:

@mindcircus.1506 said:

Actually the Commander title is used consistently well and isn't one of the places the delivery drops the ball too badly. During the personal story we are generally referred to by the correct honorific that changes from story step to story step. We are called Warmaster when applicable, Recruit when applicable ect... the Commander title doesnt stick until this is indeed our title as Pact Commander.
    After the personal story that's how we are known across the world. Banghar, for example refers to us by this honorific very pointedly, in respect. It's our last known "job"... very much like a past president still being called "President".
    It really is a pretty small nit to pick.

I also wonder why so many people have a problem with our non-human player characters being allowed into Shining Blade when there was clearly a precedent in Canach being part of the group. Always seemed to me to be a strange rallying cry for people when clearly opposition to it runs against the established lore of the game.
    There's tons of things wrong with the delivery of the story without the need to fall into rhetoric because your ego isnt stroked enough or the story deviates from your head-cannon.

All i'm asking is to add more variety in the story to acknowledge your character race and keep thing interesting because all you need is just one character to do the story (and unable to skip the dialogue doesn't help either) People have problem because they are forced to join (some would like to argue that joining in is also against the lore) its not because of the lore but because we aren't allowed to choose, would be interesting if we can refuse and have the story play out differently (Which Anet stopped doing so after Vanilla stories)
    And i'm confident to say that i'm not interested in being hailed as Savior of the Planet, i prefer doing what i'm good at in secret and without celebration, so ego stroking is not needed nor i want to.

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2019

They could in fact sell personality types on the market. Make it change some poses or emotes, just like eso does. And change or even better add some more sentences from time to time depending on what you bought. I don't buy a lot of fluff on the store, but I would definitely buy something that makes my character feel more alive and personal. (and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one)