cool hidden things in maps?

coso.9173

I love walking around maps and finding some cool things around specially if they're somewhat hidden or not related to anything in the game, like a quest or anything.what are some of the cool things you've seen around GW2's world? :Dthere are some that are already well known:

and there are many more in vanilla maps, but I'm also interested in ones in the new PoF maps and the newer LS ones too :Danyone has any cool ones to share?

Munt Maelstrom, infinity coil reactor, blue zone, sometimes, 2 inquest agents will appear discussing of the building and what monster should go there, but he seems to be that big that they need to expand the area. I'm not sure, but I think they're referencing to Fluffy, pet of aquabase terror 7.

I can think of a few off the top of my head including getting into the Polymock arena ( via a portal in the cube like frame, ground level, on the south east side of Rata Sum. A portal in the Polymock arena led to the portal that an asura appears to be repairing in the city. Been years since I had last been there so I'm not sure if the trip is still possible.)

There is also the secret room filled with turkeys in the Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon, and a large explorable area filled with large pillars after a couple of the boss fights.

There are a couple of mentions to characters in the book Ghosts of Ascalon, where you can visit the grave of a companion and the main character from that book can be talked to in Lion's Arch.

Finally I believe I had once heard Anet had made 3 swinging boys in the game, one in the cat grove in WvW, one in Lion's Arch that was relocated to the Vigil's keep during Scarlet's attack on the city, and an unknown one no one has seen as far as I'm aware.

Yeah actually, polymock arenas have 2 gates, one at the west surely leading to the ground level one with the asura and; a second gate located at the south of the arenas leading to ??? maybe ideas incubator. Or a link to metrica province? Dunno. Speaking of gates, they are two of them at the right of thaumanova reactor, in the cliffside, they're unused and you can't pass through.

@"Cyanchiv.2583" said:Finally I believe I had once heard Anet had made 3 swinging boys in the game, one in the cat grove in WvW, one in Lion's Arch that was relocated to the Vigil's keep during Scarlet's attack on the city, and an unknown one no one has seen as far as I'm aware.

Hello, my name is no one:3xhnpXB.pngThe place you are looking for is in the harbor-area of Amnoon south-west of the waypoint. It is a small swimming island made of wood with plenty of NPCs in it, you cannot ineract with any of them. Just ignore them and get to around the island. In the upper area, you can have a look inside from the front and the back. There you will see the boy in question, doing what he always does. Together with a few cats of course and a new companion.

I was so excited when I saw this thread, but I have not seen anything new. Once I have a little more time to write, I gonna list a few more things.

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

@"Cyanchiv.2583" said:Finally I believe I had once heard Anet had made 3 swinging boys in the game, one in the cat grove in WvW, one in Lion's Arch that was relocated to the Vigil's keep during Scarlet's attack on the city, and an unknown one no one has seen as far as I'm aware.

Hello, my name is no one:
3xhnpXB.png
The place you are looking for is in the harbor-area of Amnoon south-west of the waypoint. It is a small swimming island made of wood with plenty of NPCs in it, you cannot ineract with any of them. Just ignore them and get to around the island. In the upper area, you can have a look inside from the front and the back. There you will see the boy in question, doing what he always does. Together with a few cats of course and a new companion.

I was so excited when I saw this thread, but I have not seen anything new. Once I have a little more time to write, I gonna list a few more things.

Here he is:

NXjQdbg.jpg

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@alcopaul.2156 said:underneath the eternal battlegrounds and desert borderlands in wvw is a vast water area. and you can hit people from below with harpoon guns.

Pretty much
all
maps have a layer of water underneath.

its not just a layer, but vast waters below the map. and there is a significant space between the map and the waters.

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Hello, my name is no one:
3xhnpXB.png
The place you are looking for is in the harbor-area of Amnoon south-west of the waypoint. It is a small swimming island made of wood with plenty of NPCs in it, you cannot ineract with any of them. Just ignore them and get to around the island. In the upper area, you can have a look inside from the front and the back. There you will see the boy in question, doing what he always does. Together with a few cats of course and a new companion.

In regards to the various swinging boys it appears there is at least one per game mode, which explains why there were 3 of them during season 1. A boy was found in the PvP map Battle of Kylo, and the one that used to be in the WvW jumping puzzle is now on the desert borderlands. Also I heard a rumor one was seen in one of the raid maps as well.

@alcopaul.2156 said:

@alcopaul.2156 said:underneath the eternal battlegrounds and desert borderlands in wvw is a vast water area. and you can hit people from below with harpoon guns.

Pretty much
all
maps have a layer of water underneath.

its not just a layer, but vast waters below the map. and there is a significant space between the map and the waters.

It's a basic thing in map editors, they all have water so when they need water all they have to do is increase the height of the water and whala, a lake.

I have not forgotten this thread, but gathering everything and looking up all the references consumed quite some time. This is a small collection of funny/interesting things I have found in this game. There are a few movie-references aka easter-eggs and a few things you can try out yourselves. I keep repeating myself with this, but the developers have put so much attention to detail into these maps. I think it is not possible to cover everything.

1.) Indiana Jones: The Last Crusadea.) Canyon of the Crescent Moon

YZemIAC.jpgThis is the canyon where the restingplace aka temple of the sun of the holy grail is located. This is the only real picture that shows the canyon as a whole. I know one canyon in Guildwars 2 which has that shape and also quite narrow and open areas. The Gallowfields Canyon in Brisban Wildlands.Tefjbc3.jpg

b.) Temple of the Sun - Lion Statues

L9ZIinP.jpgRight at the entrance of the temple, we see those giant two lion statues. In Guildwars 2 there is a replica of this entrance in the Loreclaw Expanse Jumping Puzzle in Plains of Ashford.nSQPRld.jpg

c.) The Three Challenges: Breath of God

QGtW88V.jpgAlso known as the circular-blade-trap. Indiana Jones has to quickly dodge through a number of circular-blades slashing through spider-webs, before they cut him into pieces. In the movie, you see plenty of corpses of other people who "tried" and failed. Once again we are In Loreclaw Expanse, in the final corridor before the final chest. If you look to the right wall, you can spot the circular blades were removed from the trap and now catch rust and dirt. However, there are still bodies/skeletons on the ground. The heads are not attached to the spine.BxlSKsT.jpg

d.) The Three Challenges: Word of God

oqiiOMZ.jpgThe famous trap, where Indiana Jones had to step on certain platforms with letters on them, to get to the other side of the room. In the movie, he had to spell the word JEHOVA but made the funny mistake of not using latin, where J is I and almost fell to his death. The replica of this room is a lot easier, but barely a few players ever noticed the mechanic behind this trap. Therefore we have to travel to Fawcette's Bounty Jumping Puzzle in Harathi Hinterlands. After the first room with the three levers, the player runs up a small ramp and reaches a large room with a very fragile floor.9ONtQ6y.jpgThe majority of players runs on the platform, fall to their death and unlock the infamous Fawcette's Revenge Achievement. Nowadays with mounts, most people just leap over the trap and continue with the rest of the JP. Another strategy, prior mounts, was to just run as fast as possible over the trap. Even without swiftness you mostly made it to the end without falling.

There is a mechanic behind this? Yes. It is a little tricky to figure out, because you have use your eyes carefully. If you look on the rocks, you notice that not all look the same. There are a few which seem to stand out, they are more rounder than the others and seem to be higher and larger.1HrrY2b.jpgAgain the same image, but with the rocks in question marked. Now, as the original puzzle in the movie, if you step on those rocks only, the floor will never collapse. And as in the movie, you cannot see the entire path when starting the run. You do your first steps and then notice one by one, which rocks are the safe ones.HXJgEGe.jpg

e.) The Three Challenges: The Path of God

M5U0TqA.jpgAlso known as the Leap of Faith. Indiana Jones has to cross a large gap no man can jump over (could be even tricky with a raptor) and all he has to do is trust in his step. It is basically an invisible pathway, in the movie it is just an optical illusion. Once Indiana Jones is through, he covers the path with some sand/dust to make it visible for the others. A lot of games have bridges of this kind, the ones in Guildwars 2 are in the secret room of the Ascalonian Catacombs (Exploration). By the way, huge thanks to that non-existent developer who was so nice and fix the stairs. The dungeon team was removed and then someone fixed the stairs ^^.AEMKZvu.jpg

f.) The Holy Grail

uQ1dxEI.jpgIn this scene, our hero has to choose the correct vessel. It is not the water which is special, but the chalice you drink it with. You can find this table of grails back in Loreclaw Expanse, left to the final chest.TukBjuj.jpgThe developers also added a bucket of water, so you can test your lucky choice.

There is another mechanic in this room, although it is not very clear to see. If you look on the screenshot, you will notice a big round shield to the left. I believe it is a replacement for the Great Seal in the movie. There it is said, that the grail is not allowed to move past it. When exactly this happens, the entire temple begins to crumble. Although the seal is does not show the same image. The cave actually crumbles after a few minutes, if you make the grave mistake and go afk near the chest.LiaLCxv.jpg

g.) Henry Jones Senior and the little book

FHCg0OW.jpgIn this alternative universe, Henry Jones Senior, the father of Indiana Jones (Henry Jones Junior) is dead. But it sort of followed the plot of the movie, as the father discovered the temple, managed to figure out the the traps and write everything down into a small little book. That can be found, together with his corpse/skeleton at the fake-chest in Loreclaw Expanse.hLkH3tt.jpgWell, it is a typo.

2.) Indiana Jones Skeleton

hGfgYu9.jpgThis can be found at the final chest of the Antre of Adjournment Jumpingpuzzle in Malchor's Leap

3.) Monty Python: The Holy GrailThe Cave of Caerbannog

n5WMKGa.jpgAlso known as the KILLER RABBIT. Ok, I know a lot of you know this reference and recognize it in the Uncategorized Fractal. That is correct, but there is actually a replica of the cave-scene of the movie, not just the rabbit.hlqANFs.jpgThe cave is south of the Valance Tutory Waypoint in Timberline Falls, heading south-west along the mountains.fSQ7J2u.jpgWhen you enter the cave for the first time, you will notice a group of grawl dancing towards a certain location. If you have a closer look, it seems like they worship the treasure-chest of the cave. If you look a little closer, you see a cute little bunny in front of it.upeFOBL.jpgThe majority of players just rushes into the cave, slaughters all the Grawl, picks up the treasure and leaves. A lot of people do not even know this cave exists though. The watchful explorer gets rid of the Grawl of course, but then has a closer look at the treasure.oZjQnoY.jpgAs you notice there are plenty of bones around and the rabbit is still there. If you stand at that spot and wait a couple of minutes, you will see a green light-flash around the small rabbit once in a while. Now read carefully: This is no ordinary rabbit! That is what Tim The Enchanter tried to explain to Arthur and his bunch of knights a couple of times. Even if you are level 80 and geared in full ascended, there is a very good chance this abomination will rip you apart. If you are not skilled on sustain and a lot of movement, run for you lives! If you are a little smart, bring a friend or two and the fight will be a lot easier. Good luck!QoZ9v7o.jpgAnd I tend to believe this totem right at the entrance of the cave should replace Tim. It is almost as ugly as his real robe and looks as ridiculous as his appearance in the movie.

4.) Planet of the Apes: The Statue of Liberty

o7yMBNi.jpgWhen exploring the area near the Pig Iron Waypoint in Fireheart Rise (near the Jumping Puzzle), you may come to a point of interest named Termerarus Castrum.XRBYWag.jpgIf you come from the water to the west, you see this picture. It is not the exactly same angle as in the movie-picture, but you can easily spot the arm with the torch and the crown of the burried statue of liberty.

vZqFNeA.jpgIf you get on top of the torch-platform, you can witness a very funny event. Once every few minutes, the place begins to spawn large flames, making the torch look like it is actually lit. Also I tend to believe that the island you see in the top-right corner is a small replica of Alcatraz. The island has a similar shape and it has the iconic watch-tower. But thanks to the scaling, it looks just weird.cGfibn0.jpg

Now I am no longer allowed to use any further images. Here are two funny tricks you can try on your own if you are bored:

• In Dredgehaunt Cliffs just /kneel infront of the totems. Sometimes you have to fight a spirit, but you always get a very long lasting boon.
  • In Plains of Ashford at the Victory Cenotaph, do a /salute to get some free swiftness, protection and might with a very long duration.

The game is full of secrets, easter-eggs and references. As you can see some are quite obvious, while others are debatable. I do not claim to know anything for sure. If you have a better explanation, probably with Guildwars (2) lore, tell me.

@Zushada.6108 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Cerebro was another popular hidden location. Of course that’s if you’re also including locations that you cannot get to by normal means.

Do tell, I am intrigued and have never heard of "Cerebro" before this thread.

Its an abandoned never finished jumping puzzle.https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/74t3zt/cerebro_is_not_kill/Apparently you can still get into it, but the old ways no longer function, for some reason they didnt want players getting into it.

Archived