Would anyone like to see something like Profession Specific Challenges?

As the title says, would you like to see profession specific challenges? Basically very similar to Adventures, but for the professions themselves. The whole idea is early on they teach you about some of the basics of the profession. And later on they challenge you over some of the more advanced features of the profession that you might not know about.

They'd appear as several levels and unlocked at certain points of the character's life span. Adept, Master, Grandmaster.

So, Adept would simply be the early levels. Where a character would normally be going through the tutorial for the game. And it's just over very basic elements. Ranger sending his pet after something. Thief backstabbing. Warrior's adrenaline mechanics. You can basically burn through them without being pressured.

Master Unlocks with a level 80 character. These challenges are more difficult, but will teach you some of the more advanced things by showing an NPC off to the side doing a certain action as your hint.

Finally Grandmaster when the master Challenges are done. These are timetrials with puzzles that tests you on such mechanics.

Like Thief racing through the map by rapidly chaining shadowsteps and Steal on enemies. The map for them would use the PvP logic that allows you to shadowstep anywhere that you can normally walk.Engie having a similar race called "Rocket Man" where they're jumping through platforms using the boots.Warriors having a Gauntlet where they start with low health, must use defiance stance to sustain themselves.

Races are much less dependant on profession mechanics than on each players personal reflexes. I for example know my thieves very well, but am just not able to chain shortbow 5 due to missing reflexes. Getting old does that to you ;) .

I'm torn about this idea. It sounds neat on paper, but creating a tutorial that teaches players how to use their profession mechanics and at the same time creating an interesting challenge are two goals that ultimately contradict each other. If you rely on only profession mechanics, those people who already know their profession inside out will be extremely bored, while relying on other challenges (especially anything related to reflexes) will make it harder for those that still need to learn about their profession to figure out what to do as well as exclude a substantial part of the playerbase that already has a hard time with anything agility and/or reflex related.

The more I think about it, the more I fell that you need to take your idea apart and split it into two separate ones: a (tutorial) class trial that actually teaches core class mechanics without distractions by generic challenges, and challenging class trials for those that want solo challenges. Although I find the 2nd part kind of redundant, as development time would probably be much better spent by creating solo challenges open for all classes but including shortcuts explicitely created for certain class abilities.

@Linken.6345 said:Oh here I thought it was about crafting stuff not class related

Yeah I always get confused when people say profession instead of class. It's technically not wrong in GW2 I think but it does always throw me off.

In any case, it could be fun but since there are 9 classes and they have various specs people will probably get upset because these challenges will not challenge the spec they might be using or be too challenging because their spec isn't up to that task. So not sure if this is really a good idea.

It's actually a good idea and I'm sure I could learn something from them. The only problem that I see (apart from the huge work in creating 9 or more different challenges, if you also consider the elite specs) it's that everytime they decide to change a trait (and we know that they periodically do it, even to core/important ones), they should re-check and eventually modify the challenges too. It seems a lot of work. Idk.

Archived