Can we please have an option to zoom the camera out farther? Please?

Swagger.1459

I have never experienced the type of visual discomfort, minor headaches or similar symptoms to motion sickness... as I have while playing GW2. And it’s really starting to get frustrating...

Between some events and the skill effects, and mount designs and camera, there are times where I can’t look at the screen or have to physically move much farther away from the screen to manage...

I do not feel it unreasonable to have an option that greatly zooms out the camera to minimize all the action on the screen. Nor looking at providing more options to tone down effects and make adjustments to mounts.

I know I’m not the only person having a negative visual experience here, or experiencing negative symptoms, so can someone please communicate something about this topic and lay out some potential options?

it'll hurt your fps a little, but have you tried adjusting the FOV slider all the way to the right?

(it's under Options > General Options > Camera > Field of View)

EDIT:

the discomforts you mention.... i usually experience those the more the FOV slider is towards the left (lower value field of view) and is more evident on FPS/Shooter type games than on thirdperson/mmos type games... especially on a widescreen. the general idea is to play with a bigger value FOV (usually 105++ up to like 120 or 130 degrees FOV for most 16:9 screens - the gw2 fov slider all the way to the right feels like 110 degrees FOV but i could be wrong)

it would also help if you increase your viewing distance (like move the screen further away from your eyes)

@Astyrah.4015 said:it'll hurt your fps a little, but have you tried adjusting the FOV slider all the way to the right?

(it's under Options > General Options > Camera > Field of View)

EDIT:

the discomforts you mention.... i usually experience those the more the FOV slider is towards the left (lower value field of view) and is more evident on FPS/Shooter type games than on thirdperson/mmos type games... especially on a widescreen. the general idea is to play with a bigger value FOV (usually 105++ up to like 120 or 130 degrees FOV for most 16:9 screens - the gw2 fov slider all the way to the right feels like 110 degrees FOV but i could be wrong)

it would also help if you increase your viewing distance (like move the screen further away from your eyes)

Thanks!

I have done all those but nothing is improving.

I'm curious how zoomed you want to be. I suffer tremendously from motion sickness, my stomach turns over in seconds from moving with the camera near my character (and don't get me started on having to watch someone else move around -- I was sad I couldn't watch much of the recent charity stream because I felt ill inside 30 seconds). Yet I have the camera set so I experience zero discomfort running around in GW2.

Sample of how zoomed I am any time I'm moving -- as you can see, I'm not at Tequatl or other mega zoom boss fights but I'm still way out --https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375715891280609285/509814115015983114/Zoomed.JPGThe camera settings I have that give that effect:https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375715891280609285/509814177502593024/ZoomedSettings.JPG

It means I usually don't see details of people around me, they're all as tiny as me, but I deal with that so I can play.

@Swagger.1459 said:I have never experienced the type of visual discomfort, minor headaches or similar symptoms to motion sickness... as I have while playing GW2. And it’s really starting to get frustrating...

Between some events and the skill effects, and mount designs and camera, there are times where I can’t look at the screen or have to physically move much farther away from the screen to manage...

I do not feel it unreasonable to have an option that greatly zooms out the camera to minimize all the action on the screen. Nor looking at providing more options to tone down effects and make adjustments to mounts.

I know I’m not the only person having a negative visual experience here, or experiencing negative symptoms, so can someone please communicate something about this topic and lay out some potential options?

Can u post a screenshot of your camera option adjustment⁇

@"DarkReaver.8437" said:I have the sliders set to give myself the maximum zoom out and it really doesn't need to be extended any more. If they did extend the zoom out then there would be some big advantages to certain play styles on certain classes.

Then any potential "advantages" can be reviewed and worked on. Primary concern should be player health and enjoyment.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"DarkReaver.8437" said:I have the sliders set to give myself the maximum zoom out and it really doesn't need to be extended any more. If they did extend the zoom out then there would be some big advantages to certain play styles on certain classes.

Then any potential "advantages" can be reviewed and worked on. Primary concern should be player health and enjoyment.

True but I somehow doubt that most of the people playing GW2 have any issue with the maximum zoom out of the camera. I mean I've been playing 6 years and I don't ever recall seeing anyone request a further zoom out for the camera so it doesn't seem to be an issue for most people.

@DarkReaver.8437 said:

@DarkReaver.8437 said:I have the sliders set to give myself the maximum zoom out and it really doesn't need to be extended any more. If they did extend the zoom out then there would be some big advantages to certain play styles on certain classes.

True but I somehow doubt that most of the people playing GW2 have any issue with the maximum zoom out of the camera. I mean I've been playing 6 years and I don't ever recall seeing anyone request a further zoom out for the camera so it doesn't seem to be an issue for most people.

I’m not trying to be rude here but the visuals effects of gw2 have been causing issues with players since launch... Increasing zoom out is one component to help reduce the negative symptoms players are experiencing...

Why don’t you read these threads...

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/10659/for-the-love-of-the-six-stop-with-the-flashing-effects

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/44963/massively-op-the-roller-beetle-excellent-mechanics-but-watch-for-motion-sickness

My wife, who has played since launch, has probably curtailed the amount she plays GW2 by something like 75-80% since the Path of Fire expansion because she can't use any of the mounts without immediately becoming motion sick. No variations of the settings make the least difference. When she does play now she mostly plays WvW because mounts aren't useable there.

When there's Living World or other story content that involves mounts I have to do that part for her or she would literally not be able to complete those sections. Like me, she's been playing MMOs for twenty years and issues like this have come up maybe two or three times ever in all other MMOs we've played, on isolated events. No other MMO has ever come even close to being this unplayable for her.

It wouldn't be an issue if mounts were an optional extra but for as long as PoF has been current the use of mounts has been designed in to much of the new content and of course there has been a massive effect on other content due to the increased speed and aviodance of obstacles (meaning that, outside of WvW, it is often not practical to keep up with other players during events if you aren't mounted).

I'm not sure that an increased camera zoom distance would help but it might. The option to disable the inertia effects certainly would but since there is content designed around that physics I wouldn't expect to see any action there. I just hope the next expansion has some new gimmick that moves focus away from mounts and onto something new and that whatever it is is a lot less divisive than mounts have been.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@DarkReaver.8437 said:I have the sliders set to give myself the maximum zoom out and it really doesn't need to be extended any more. If they did extend the zoom out then there would be some big advantages to certain play styles on certain classes.

I’m not trying to be rude here but the visuals effects of gw2 have been causing issues with players since launch... Increasing zoom out is one component to help reduce the negative symptoms players are experiencing...

Why don’t you read these threads...

Yes, but the forums are a very small subset of the player-base. It is unfortunate that some have issues with this, but I feel that ANet (while not un-sympathetic) isn't concerned about so few in the larger population.

I have found moving the camera center to one side of the character also helps people to feel less sick. I'm not a victim of motion sickness, but this has helped a friend in the past. (Also the "over the shoulder" style is better to target things right in front of your character, super useful when your main weapon is the Flamethrower.)

Archived