Fraenir of Jormag Strike mission (more spoilers?) — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Fraenir of Jormag Strike mission (more spoilers?)

GWMO.4785GWMO.4785 Member ✭✭✭
edited November 26, 2019 in Fractals, Dungeons, and Raids

Literally first time. I have to say that i am a lot less impressed with this one. I mean (reworked) Ice Construct? Really? Im sure you can do a lot better Anet.. Oh well.. Lets see how the Boneskinner will turn out.

Comments

• Ertrak.9506Ertrak.9506 Member ✭✭✭

This one felt like a harder dps check to make gold cuz of the invuln phases.

• GWMO.4785GWMO.4785 Member ✭✭✭

@Ertrak.9506 said:

idk, this was literally our first entry and we just missed the gold checkpoint. Feels easier to me

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2019

It didn’t seem that bad. For the Fraenir, people just need to stay out of circles so they don’t get frozen, dodge towards the boss at the shockwaves, and stand away from the group if they get that attack with the arrow. Is there an audio cue or prompt for that last one?

For the ice construct portion, it’s really no different from the first strike mission other than having the circle spread mechanic from Sabir. It’s slightly different in that it goes off three times.

I have an idea on how the next boss will be and I’m worried that gold will probably not be probable in pug groups due to how terrible players are at using CC.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed the fight for what it was. I especially enjoyed the Fraenir standing inside the Icebrood's chest. That was a cool moment.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    I have an idea on how the next boss will be and I’m worried that gold will probably not be probable in pug groups due to how terrible players are at using CC.

Possibly. As a pugger, I'm not too fussed about that. My expectations were for Gold to be foe the organised groups anyway

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Jayden Reese.9542Jayden Reese.9542 Member ✭✭✭✭

I was disappointed in the fact they recycled the 1st strike into it. I joined a strike with no lfg title and then they were like we going for gold so I was nervous but we got gold easy basically by just stack and burn. Not very challenging.

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭

I hope these first strikes are just to "calibrate" future implementations, at the moment they are at level of fractal T1, ideally the level of difficulty should be like to fractal t2 or t3.

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

edited November 26, 2019

@ugrakarma.9416 said:
    I hope these first strikes are just to "calibrate" future implementations, at the moment they are at level of fractal T1, ideally the level of difficulty should be like to fractal t2 or t3.

They are def higher than t1 fractal (except Grothmar one). 2 maybe 3, but absolutely not at T1 level. Espeically going for silver or gold.

Anyone breezing through it at those medals is simply well practised enough at raids and T4 that anything lower seems too easy. For the rest of us, it is more challenging or at least at a higher level than we are used to.

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

I mean we all knew that the first strike mission was going to "evolve", so how is it disappointing that they did what they told us?

Bite me.

Strike missions can also be easy or difficult depending on the team comp and skill level. They’re not anywhere near raid level but they’re certainly more difficult than T1 fractals.

• ButcherofMalakir.4067ButcherofMalakir.4067 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2019

Just did it 9 times and managed to get gold only 4 times. 5 times was silver by few percent/seconds.
    We had pug squad but most boons covered. This one isnt that hard to do but it is harder dps check.
    Main problem seams to be human faling ice since it is kinda quick.
    With proper comp (with aegis and projectyle defense) it is very easy but strikes dont operate with propper comps.
    Overall I am not dissapointed. Again much better then the first one.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

I think the falling ice hits the same locations every time so eventually people could learn where not to be.

• ButcherofMalakir.4067ButcherofMalakir.4067 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2019

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

I think the falling ice hits the same locations every time so eventually people could learn where not to be.

Yea. Safest bet seams to be to stay in the middle and aegis the wave

• LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

Definitely more challenging than voice and claw of the fallen, which had bad stuff clearly visible and contrasting.
    This one is a lot more visually messy, which leads to misintepretations and mistakes.

• NorthernRedStar.3054NorthernRedStar.3054 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2019

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Strike missions can also be easy or difficult depending on the team comp and skill level. They’re not anywhere near raid level but they’re certainly more difficult than T1 fractals.

Considering T1 fractals are literally a joke, that's not much to go on about.

1st try gold w/o anyone explaining the fight's mechanics (going in blind). Also @OP your DPS rotations are incorrect.

edited November 27, 2019

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Considering T1 fractals are literally a joke, that's not much to go on about.

1st try gold w/o anyone explaining the fight's mechanics (going in blind). Also @OP your DPS rotations are incorrect.

The post was in response to someone saying that the difficulty is no different than a T1 fractal.

The issue with their post is that the team comp and skill level of your team can greatly impact how smooth the strike goes but has no bearing on the actual difficulty set for the strike mission.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:
    They are def higher than t1 fractal (except Grothmar one). 2 maybe 3, but absolutely not at T1 level. Espeically going for silver or gold.

Generally speaking strikes are higher difficulty than T1, but there are a lot of other considerations to take into account when comparing "difficulty", other than team composition and skill level.

Fractals don't have the concept of silver and gold because they have no enrage timer. Only way to compare the difficulty between fractals and strikes properly is success vs failure. I can already imagine how hard certain Fractals would be for "strike players" even on T1 if they had a timer. Like Underground last boss with a timer in an unorganized group where the one fixated runs like a headless chicken, or Volcanic boss healing itself because players don't bring proper skills for its defense barrier and so on.

Imagine a fight like Liadri without a timer. It wouldn't be as difficult as it is. So enrage timers and silver/gold rewards do artificially increase the difficulty of strike missions, the real question is how hard they are mechanic wise. Because if all we'll get in the future is difficulty through tight timers then I'd say it would be a sad reality for the game.

• GWMO.4785GWMO.4785 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019

Im not sure if that is necessarily a bad idea tbh. I mean the golden "checkpoint" only gives you a tiny bit of extra loot anyway. I can totally see it happen where this mechanic is getting used more often. The average player will just go for the kill, as where the more serious people will try reaching gold. I actually think raids would be great place for this mechanic

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:
    Also @OP your DPS rotations are incorrect.

I am aware. As i mentioned in my first post. This was literally my/our first entry. I was more focused on trying to pay attention on what Fraenir is doing then on my rotation. As i was expecting him to be different as oppose to when we encounter him in story.

• Vinceman.4572Vinceman.4572 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019

@GWMO.4785 said:

Im not sure if that is necessarily a bad idea tbh. I mean the golden "checkpoint" only gives you a tiny bit of extra loot anyway. I can totally see it happen where this mechanic is getting used more often. The average player will just go for the kill, as where the more serious people will try reaching gold. I actually think raids would be great place for this mechanic

Don't think that would work for raids if the reward balance is like the one in the Strike Missions of Bjora Marches. The difference between gold and silver rewards is negligible or laughable at best. You just need to not hit the final enrage timer to get all the important chests. The additional loot of gold is just a rare, some blues and greens + Karma (probably exp as well but that's useless anyways).

R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

@GWMO.4785 said:
    I mean the golden "checkpoint" only gives you a tiny bit of extra loot anyway.

Which is why I don't understand comments saying "getting gold in strikes is tougher than T1 fractals", there is little to no point in getting gold, or silver. So the entire difficulty comparison is between succeeding in T1 fractals and succeeding in strike missions (without getting silver or gold)

The average player will just go for the kill, as where the more serious people will try reaching gold

In other words let's simplify all mechanics and add a few timers for "difficulty", that's just terrible design.

I found the bonus chests to not even be worth going for. There are no special drops and the only loot worth going for only requires the boss to be defeated. Technically you don’t even need to beat the boss if you join a squad that just beat it and enter the instance within the 1.5 min before it closes.

• Blaeys.3102Blaeys.3102 Member ✭✭✭

These strike missions desperately need difficulty tiers that add mechanics and tighten enrage timers (and offer decent reward).

What we have now should be easy - medium should be on par with what we see in raids - and hard should be truly challenging and only for those that master the game.

That way, we see true difficult content on a decent release schedule that actually fits with the rest of the game.

@Blaeys.3102 said:
    These strike missions desperately need difficulty tiers that add mechanics and tighten enrage timers (and offer decent reward).

What we have now should be easy - medium should be on par with what we see in raids - and hard should be truly challenging and only for those that master the game.

That way, we see true difficult content on a decent release schedule that actually fits with the rest of the game.

Which isn't the purpose of strike missions though.

edited November 29, 2019

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Blaeys.3102 said:

Which isn't the purpose of strike missions though.

Exactly. These are meant to be pre-raid level 10 man instances. Bridging the gap/giving a taster to get people more used to coordination (which is required for gold medal).

They aren't designed to be master level. That's a place raids and CM's in particular should be aiming to fill (whether they do or not is a conversation for elsewhere of course)

The only real adjustments that I can see are needed include ensuring rewards adequately reflect the medals and perhaps a waypoint outside.

edited November 30, 2019

@Randulf.7614 said:
    Bridging the gap/giving a taster to get people more used to coordination (which is required for gold medal).

The vast majority of Raid encounters don't reach the enrage timer, and even when you reach it, generally you can still beat the encounter, there are very few hard enrages. Adding "medals" and time thresholds is a very lazy way of creating "challenge", combined with the non-existent rewards for getting that silver/gold medal making it completely pointless. It's more complex mechanics, especially group mechanics, that create challenge in group content, not the addition of time thresholds.

@Blaeys.3102 said:

Exactly. At first just a single CM mode would work (baby steps). I can understand why they don't do it right away, afraid it will split the community, but at some point Strike Missions need both better rewards and more mechanics/challenge. On one hand they can keep the current difficulty for when you go in with a group of randoms, but there should be a more intense (not only with lazy tighter timers) version for when going with an organized group.

• Ganathar.4956Ganathar.4956 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Blaeys.3102 said:

Exactly. At first just a single CM mode would work (baby steps). I can understand why they don't do it right away, afraid it will split the community, but at some point Strike Missions need both better rewards and more mechanics/challenge. On one hand they can keep the current difficulty for when you go in with a group of randoms, but there should be a more intense (not only with lazy tighter timers) version for when going with an organized group.

I don't like the splitting the community argument because there is a very easy way to avoid this situation. Strike CMs would basically be raid level encounters, maybe even being harder than certain raids. Just like raids the devs can make them give out their rewards only once per week. That way, you can still do the normal mode daily as well for lesser rewards. The same concept can be applied to raid CMs. They should make those have repeatable rewards on a monthly basis. As it is right now, they are wasting resources on raid CMs that are only played once by most raiders.

• Blaeys.3102Blaeys.3102 Member ✭✭✭

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:
    Bridging the gap/giving a taster to get people more used to coordination (which is required for gold medal).

The vast majority of Raid encounters don't reach the enrage timer, and even when you reach it, generally you can still beat the encounter, there are very few hard enrages. Adding "medals" and time thresholds is a very lazy way of creating "challenge", combined with the non-existent rewards for getting that silver/gold medal making it completely pointless. It's more complex mechanics, especially group mechanics, that create challenge in group content, not the addition of time thresholds.

@Blaeys.3102 said:

Thank you so much for posting. I think it is very telling (and promising) that you and I agree on this, given the number of times we have disagreed on the multiple mode approach to structured raids in other threads. I realize that we probably still disagree on that topic (and probably always will :) ), but seeing your comments has me more convinced than ever that strike missions are the middle ground model that difficult content needs to survive in the game.

It's simple math. Where we were seeing a raid every 9-12 months, we just saw them release three strike missions after a three month gap. I know it is still anecdotal, but would people rather have one raid a year with 3-4 boss encounters or 10-12 strike missions with a boss a piece? Even if the hard modes come retroactively, it is still a much more sustainable model. And, if they moved their raid designers to a role where their primary job was to add new mechanics to strike missions on an ongoing basis, the potential for continual, engaging content is exciting to think about (adding new levels to older bosses to the point where we have 5-6 difficulties a year from now). That would even rival the release rate of more dedicated raiding games like WoW (with the added bonus of old bosses never really becoming obsolete).

I know their stated goal was to make them a "stepping stone," but I have to think there is a better use of those resources - one that fits better with the rest of the game (strikes serving as extensions of the living story) and offers a much more sustainable model than raids will ever be able to achieve in this game.

@Blaeys.3102 said:
    Thank you so much for posting. I think it is very telling (and promising) that you and I agree on this, given the number of times we have disagreed on the multiple mode approach to structured raids in other threads. I realize that we probably still disagree on that topic (and probably always will :) ), but seeing your comments has me more convinced than ever that strike missions are the middle ground model that difficult content needs to survive in the game.

It's simple math. Where we were seeing a raid every 9-12 months, we just saw them release three strike missions after a three month gap. I know it is still anecdotal, but would people rather have one raid a year with 3-4 boss encounters or 10-12 strike missions with a boss a piece? Even if the hard modes come retroactively, it is still a much more sustainable model. And, if they moved their raid designers to a role where their primary job was to add new mechanics to strike missions on an ongoing basis, the potential for continual, engaging content is exciting to think about (adding new levels to older bosses to the point where we have 5-6 difficulties a year from now). That would even rival the release rate of more dedicated raiding games like WoW (with the added bonus of old bosses never really becoming obsolete).

I know their stated goal was to make them a "stepping stone," but I have to think there is a better use of those resources - one that fits better with the rest of the game (strikes serving as extensions of the living story) and offers a much more sustainable model than raids will ever be able to achieve in this game.

The main issue right now with Strike Missions is how they implemented their reward system. The main point of contention (or at least one of them) against multiple modes for Raids was (and will always be) the rewards, and unfortunately the way they implemented them in the Strike Missions doesn't help that discussion the least bit. In fact, it provides an excuse (and a very good one) against adding more modes in Raids, if a similar system was to be followed there of course. The kill faster, get gold, get some pitiful extra blues, reward scheme is beyond pathetic, I'd dare say it's insulting.

The idea that some players will just finish the strike mission as is, while others, that want an extra challenge, will "go for gold" is also insulting to me. I mean I've always been very vocal against the idea of "just play in white gear if you want more challenge" or "just don't use dodge", the so called "challenge yourself" idea. Arenanet went the -other- lazy way of adding difficulty by adding timers and some insulting rewards for beating them. Laziness won in the end. I never liked dps rotations and in dps heavy encounters I usually play support or healer (like Twin Largos or Keep Construct), yet I always try to be the one doing the important mechanics of the Raid encounters. I like complex mechanics, I like taking responsibility for them for the team, but I dislike dps races.

The only hope is that they will fix this mess and actual challenge modes will come in the future and I agree this has the potential of being a very sustainable model, it's just Arenanet missing most of the marks with their Strike Mission releases so far. Maybe it's too soon and by the end of Season 5 we'll all, of all skill levels and challenge levels, enjoy Strike Missions and they will effectively replace Raids and even Fractals. But they have to do A LOT MORE to convince the players that Strike Missions are a good replacement and not a waste of time and resources.

PS: I posted numerous times my own version of how easier versions of Raid encounters could work, I'm not 100% against the idea. I just don't like the way some of the more vocal posters present it. I know I went a bit off topic here, but I really dislike the Strike Mission reward scheme and hope it's changed or tweaked in the future before I call it a good replacement for challenging content.

• xDudisx.5914xDudisx.5914 Member ✭✭✭

If strikes mission get hard to the point players can't pug with the public mode avg pug, I believe most people will stop doing them after they get the achievements.

@xDudisx.5914 said:
    If strikes mission get hard to the point players can't pug with the public mode avg pug, I believe most people will stop doing them after they get the achievements.

I don't think the public mode needs to become any harder, it's a public mission after all. But if the pre-made mode remains the same as a public mode version, and you can even get gold using the public version with random people, then the pre-made version loses any reason to exist.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ertrak.9506 said:

Felt the same, I had no issues getting gold on previous missions with teams not running pure DPS..
    But this one seems to be a giant HP sponge so it appears to me you need most if not all your players running DPS to get it this time.. which will kinda suck as pure DPS builds are not fun to play for me.. specially melee focused glass canons.. I strongly dislike that playstyle and being forced to use it.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Ertrak.9506 said:

Felt the same, I had no issues getting gold on previous missions with teams not running pure DPS..
    But this one seems to be a giant HP sponge so it appears to me you need most if not all your players running DPS to get it this time.. which will kinda suck as pure DPS builds are not fun to play for me.. specially melee focused glass canons.. I strongly dislike that playstyle and being forced to use it.

Considering that you need DPS for raids, and that strike missions are to bridge the gap between brain dead content of open world PvE and raids, the timer is just fine. If you want gold then your group simply needs to perform better. Gold should not be a participation prize. There’s enough of that in the open world.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Gold should not be a participation prize.

That's not what i'm saying.

Raids and by extention Strike missions should be and are far better when they are more than just a base DPS check.
    This is the kind of content where healing, support, tanks and many other types of builds should excell and be required to get Gold etc and content where teams of pure DPS should be discouraged and actively punished by the game.

If you can just blitz through the content with pure DPS then strike missions are going to end up becoming as mindless as dungeons or low tier fractals are because of it.
    Other playstyles should be catered too and neccessary, especially for this kind of content.

edited December 1, 2019

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Gold should not be a participation prize.

That's not what i'm saying.

Raids and by extention Strike missions should be and are far better when they are more than just a base DPS check.
    This is the kind of content where healing, support, tanks and many other types of builds should excell and be required to get Gold etc and content where teams of pure DPS should be discouraged and actively punished by the game.

If you can just blitz through the content with pure DPS then strike missions are going to end up becoming as mindless as dungeons or low tier fractals are because of it.
    Other playstyles should be catered too and neccessary, especially for this kind of content.

Remove the DPS check and then players will just go full defensive. Gold is there for those willing to put in the effort and play more optimally even though the reward for doing so is laughable. Besides, the DPS check isn't that strict in both raids and this strike mission. Nerfing the DPS check for gold so that any build and team comp can get it is essentially making it a participation prize. Those that want to play with anything can still complete the strike. Those that want to try harder and go for gold.

edited December 2, 2019

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Remove the DPS check and then players will just go full defensive.

Most Raid encounters don't have dps checks, even if you reach 0 on the enrage you can still play and finish the fight. It's how low-mans happen, can't really solo or duo a raid boss within the limits of the enrage timer.

Those that want to play with anything can still complete the strike. Those that want to try harder and go for gold.

Yes this works for the public version. But I believe the premade version can use some extra team-oriented mechanics to make it better group content. Instead of relying on timers.

Edit: it's how non-dps playstyles shine in Raids. They are nearly useless in Strike Missions.

edited December 2, 2019

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Remove the DPS check and then players will just go full defensive.

Most Raid encounters don't have dps checks, even if you reach 0 on the enrage you can still play and finish the fight. It's how low-mans happen, can't really solo or duo a raid boss within the limits of the enrage timer.

So because some very skilled players can go past the enrage timers, there’s not a DPS check? Going with that logic, dungeons and some fractals can be done solo so they must be solo content. Groups that hit the enrage timers are going to fail through a combination of failing mechanics and poor DPS.

By all means, show me a pug group that can go past the enrage timer and successfully beat the boss. A group that can do the mechanics but their DPS is just so low that they go past the timer.

Those that want to play with anything can still complete the strike. Those that want to try harder and go for gold.

Yes this works for the public version. But I believe the premade version can use some extra team-oriented mechanics to make it better group content. Instead of relying on timers.

Edit: it's how non-dps playstyles shine in Raids. They are nearly useless in Strike Missions.

Non-DPS playstyles are very useful in strike missions and actually trivialize them due to how low of a skill cap Anet is still setting them at. Heals and boons help quite a lot.

There’s only one version of a strike mission.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    By all means, show me a pug group that can go past the enrage timer and successfully beat the boss.

Depends on how much time is left on the boss. If it's ~2-3% it's perfectly doable to survive a boss during enrage. I'm not saying to remove enrage timers completely, I'm saying all the strike missions have so far is an enrage timer. Which is ok for content that is designed for variable number of players that join randomly, but it's not very good for content that can be done by premade squads.

There’s only one version of a strike mission.

Yes and that's the problem with the strike missions

• Eramonster.2718Eramonster.2718 Member ✭✭✭✭

Fairly easy boss. Not hard to beat it with the presence of a healer (leaving only 1 skill to watch out for).

Can't really tell the difference between getting Gold and Silver. Same amount of Eitrite Ingots from both essence chest at the end with no unique drop/skins (no RnG for skins, Hurray!). Boons makes a huge difference and a requirement if attempting to get Gold.

Do hope something can be done to the floor shadings to help make the warning indicators(red circle and pulse) clearer. And minor change for the boss, doesn't start with the "freezing skill" right off the bat when players are about to engage.