What meta do players want?

@Loboling.5293 said:I'd be happy with the end of HOT meta. Glassy builds with limited support. Twitch gameplay and intense moments that got my heart pumping. Very skill base metal, but without the terrible PvP design that came with pof. (I mean did we really need stealth snipers, aoe spam necros, and even more of a support juggernaut guardian?...)

Pof ruined pvp, but in my opinion, they haven't recovered from it like they did when hot sort of ruined pvp. (Initial mes bunker meta)

+1.

I played PoF for a total of two weeks before quitting the game for 2 years. I was convinced they had no clue about design. It was redundant and pointlessly power-creeped. I remember being really upset with the expansion. PvP was entirely unplayable.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@wevh.2903 said:

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:
  1. That's not what makes meta. What makes meta is simply the classes/builds that currently perform the 4 job roles the best: "team fighter" "support" "+1 Decap Roamer" "Side Node Duelist"
  2. I want a DPS meta to return. People asked for "DPS to be lowered", they do not ask for "DPS to be halved intra-class wide". The truth is that DPS metas are just more enjoyable than sustainy metas. There is so much more room for high skill ceiling and counter-play during DPS meta.

I want a DPS meta where everybody plays a zerker core ele...no stealth...no 1500 pewpew.....no pet....no clones....no teleports.....no chain blocks etc etc....let's see how many would love "DPS meta" in that case.

I know that anything that isnt ranger is a big mystery to you, but you do know Elementalist has teleports, blocks and channeled invulns, right?

I call it BS when people say to love DPS meta when playing a class with several in built defense mechanisms, I'd take all these people ..put them into an arena and force them to play core zerk FA ele.

Every
class has several built in defense mechanisms. Ele does too, as seen above.

-A mesmer-thief-ranger main : " I love DPS meta"....yeah great kitten effort in saying that

I get why thief, youre obsessed with that class, and Mesmer is close enough to thief, but why would a ranger lover mention ranger here?

You can keep repeating this ranger mantra for as long as you wish...it won't make it that much more truthful and neither I do care about it,
you just ridicule yourself
every time you repeat it and now you trying to lecture me on ele....truly puts the cherry on the cake...as others pointed out already.....you are really clueless

I mean it cant be any more truthful than the absolute truth, so yes, it wont become more truthful by default. And given that you just made a grave error about Ele, yeah of course Im lecturing you about it. I know Ele well enough at least to not say something as wrong as "Ele has no defense mechanisms".
You
are the one who is clueless. There is a reason you got compared with Burnfall.

...I am laughing so hard now...you really have no idea.....

VlLIRFe.jpg

Got extended screenshots but again...I keep putting myself on display for everybody ...I'd like to see you, other than a forum warrior ...there is nothing to prove you know what you are on about

Well, at least you learned from last time when people laughed at you when you posted a screenshot of you having other classes as proof that you multiclassed. That being said, how do I know this is you? Besides, argumentum ab auctoritatem. If you have to rely on who you are (assuming that
is
you) instead of using actual arguments, that points to you not having arguments.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:
  1. That's not what makes meta. What makes meta is simply the classes/builds that currently perform the 4 job roles the best: "team fighter" "support" "+1 Decap Roamer" "Side Node Duelist"
  2. I want a DPS meta to return. People asked for "DPS to be lowered", they do not ask for "DPS to be halved intra-class wide". The truth is that DPS metas are just more enjoyable than sustainy metas. There is so much more room for high skill ceiling and counter-play during DPS meta.

I want a DPS meta where everybody plays a zerker core ele...no stealth...no 1500 pewpew.....no pet....no clones....no teleports.....no chain blocks etc etc....let's see how many would love "DPS meta" in that case.

I know that anything that isnt ranger is a big mystery to you, but you do know Elementalist has teleports, blocks and channeled invulns, right?

I call it BS when people say to love DPS meta when playing a class with several in built defense mechanisms, I'd take all these people ..put them into an arena and force them to play core zerk FA ele.

Every
class has several built in defense mechanisms. Ele does too, as seen above.

-A mesmer-thief-ranger main : " I love DPS meta"....yeah great kitten effort in saying that

I get why thief, youre obsessed with that class, and Mesmer is close enough to thief, but why would a ranger lover mention ranger here?

You can keep repeating this ranger mantra for as long as you wish...it won't make it that much more truthful and neither I do care about it,
you just ridicule yourself
every time you repeat it and now you trying to lecture me on ele....truly puts the cherry on the cake...as others pointed out already.....you are really clueless

I mean it cant be any more truthful than the absolute truth, so yes, it wont become more truthful by default. And given that you just made a grave error about Ele, yeah of course Im lecturing you about it. I know Ele well enough at least to not say something as wrong as "Ele has no defense mechanisms".
You
are the one who is clueless. There is a reason you got compared with Burnfall.

...I am laughing so hard now...you really have no idea.....

VlLIRFe.jpg

Got extended screenshots but again...I keep putting myself on display for everybody ...I'd like to see you, other than a forum warrior ...there is nothing to prove you know what you are on about

How can u be rank 500 but be a plat2 player

it's even worse bc that screen shot is from season 5,where average rating was about 200 higher than current day and 1600 was plat 1. it also. means that was probably is peak rating lmao.

Best meta for me was the one right before heart of thorns. AoE wasnt everywhere and every class had a working build. Cele ele was overperforming though.

The game now is just throw aoe on point. Id rather have 10k back stab thieves than the nonsense we have today

@"Doug.4930" said:I'm happy with a meta that mitigates one class domination.

People love complaining about X class being broken whilst Y class is under powered and needs buffing (Y class being the one they play and X being its counter) and after reading through this thread its plain to see by some posters that that rhetoric is alive and well.

But at the end of the day a bad meta is when certain classes are favored too much across the board. So If X build has a far higher pick rate in comparison to other builds, then its a good bet that X build needs adjusting in a game where there is no holy trinity and all classes should be able to accomplish similar roles with no one class excelling too much in too many areas at once, coughprepatchholosmithcough.

So people can scream from the heavens about X build being toxic/broken/unfun/overpowered etc But the real defining factor that Anet should look at when it comes to balance is pickrate. If nobody is playing X build that everybody is on the forums crying about, then its a good bet those people don't really know what they're talking about and are probably just pushing their own personal agenda on whats "fun". Or they're just a bunch of rocks screaming that paper is overpowered. Likewise when it comes to Y build. If nobody is playing Y build then perhaps that spec could do with some adjustments too. coughpowerchronocough

So as long as there is good variation between builds and classes and we don't start seeing constant repeats of the same specs over and over again I'm quite content.

That doesn-t take into account possibility that people actually like that class.

@Axl.8924 said:

@"Doug.4930" said:I'm happy with a meta that mitigates one class domination.

People love complaining about X class being broken whilst Y class is under powered and needs buffing (Y class being the one they play and X being its counter) and after reading through this thread its plain to see by some posters that that rhetoric is alive and well.

But at the end of the day a bad meta is when certain classes are favored too much across the board. So If X build has a far higher pick rate in comparison to other builds, then its a good bet that X build needs adjusting in a game where there is no holy trinity and all classes should be able to accomplish similar roles with no one class excelling too much in too many areas at once,
coughprepatchholosmithcough

So people can scream from the heavens about X build being toxic/broken/unfun/overpowered etc But the real defining factor that Anet should look at when it comes to balance is pickrate. If nobody is playing X build that everybody is on the forums crying about, then its a good bet those people don't really know what they're talking about and are probably just pushing their own personal agenda on whats "fun". Or they're just a bunch of rocks screaming that paper is overpowered. Likewise when it comes to Y build. If nobody is playing Y build then perhaps that spec could do with some adjustments too.
coughpowerchronocough

So as long as there is good variation between builds and classes and we don't start seeing constant repeats of the same specs over and over again I'm quite content.

That doesn-t take into account possibility that people actually like that class.

Usually people liking a class will have little impact on build meta across the database. People the vast majority of the time pick the best class. You don't see entire meta's in any of the pvp game modes determined because X class is fun and enjoyed by all.

You don't see underpowered builds become meta because they are fun.

@Doug.4930 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Doug.4930 said:I'm happy with a meta that mitigates one class domination.

But at the end of the day a bad meta is when certain classes are favored too much across the board. So If X build has a far higher pick rate in comparison to other builds, then its a good bet that X build needs adjusting in a game where there is no holy trinity and all classes should be able to accomplish similar roles with no one class excelling too much in too many areas at once,

So people can scream from the heavens about X build being toxic/broken/unfun/overpowered etc But the real defining factor that Anet should look at when it comes to balance is pickrate. If nobody is playing X build that everybody is on the forums crying about, then its a good bet those people don't really know what they're talking about and are probably just pushing their own personal agenda on whats "fun". Or they're just a bunch of rocks screaming that paper is overpowered. Likewise when it comes to Y build. If nobody is playing Y build then perhaps that spec could do with some adjustments too.
coughpowerchronocough

Usually people liking a class will have little impact on build meta across the database. People the vast majority of the time pick the best class. You don't see entire meta's in any of the pvp game modes determined because X class is fun and enjoyed by all.

Some do still play. Look at those who play druid still simply because they like the elite.

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Doug.4930 said:I'm happy with a meta that mitigates one class domination.

coughpowerchronocough

Some do still play. Look at those who play druid still simply because they like the elite.

Of course I agree there are players who pick their builds for fun alone. But If you were to examine all pvp areas of the game, I would be confident in saying that the meta that would emerge from those numbers would be vastly factored by which build/class was over performing at that time.

So I'm not saying that everybody plays meta builds. But I am saying that meta builds are encountered with far greater frequency not because they are fun, but because they are more powerful than the rest.

Just looking at past meta's and you can see this is the case. Cele ele wasn't so popular for so long many years ago simply because people enjoyed playing it.

Just looking at past meta's and you can see this is the case. Cele ele wasn't so popular for so long many years ago simply because people enjoyed playing it.

Kinda wish druid could get a overhaul so i can play support druid, my prefered ranger build.