My balance patch review

Yoci.2481

So far I have not been able to make a power Chrono build work in WvW. I am not yet saying it is absolutely impossible but so far I don't see how. You are just too squishy with little escape potential and you don't have the burst potential meme one shot Chronos had 1.5 years ago. If you are set on Domination and Dueling, which you pretty much need to do damage, taking Chaos or Inspiration is almost always better than Chronomancer. They give you sustain, mobility and escape abilities. Chrono gives you... a worse burst and some quickness/alacrity?

@Yoci.2481 said:So far I have not been able to make a power Chrono build work in WvW. I am not yet saying it is absolutely impossible but so far I don't see how. You are just too squishy with little escape potential and you don't have the burst potential meme one shot Chronos had 1.5 years ago. If you are set on Domination and Dueling, which you pretty much need to do damage, taking Chaos or Inspiration is almost always better than Chronomancer. They give you sustain, mobility and escape abilities. Chrono gives you... a worse burst and some quickness/alacrity?

So...then play dom/dueling with chaos or inspiration? Nothing is stopping you from playing core.

There seems to be a glass half full, half empty situation going on. Where you have mesmers like @"Jazz.4639" on this forum or Silence on reddit excitedly showing off their power core/mirage builds for competitive modes and then another group complaining about power chrono in those areas.

Rather than say which is more valid. How about which is more likely for Anet to address? Professions having a viable build for each archetype in every game mode OR elite specs having a viable build for each archetype in every game mode. I think they are going to aim for the the one that's easier to balance and takes less work.

@Yoci.2481 said:So far I have not been able to make a power Chrono build work in WvW. I am not yet saying it is absolutely impossible but so far I don't see how. You are just too squishy with little escape potential and you don't have the burst potential meme one shot Chronos had 1.5 years ago. If you are set on Domination and Dueling, which you pretty much need to do damage, taking Chaos or Inspiration is almost always better than Chronomancer. They give you sustain, mobility and escape abilities. Chrono gives you... a worse burst and some quickness/alacrity?

I play wvw daily still (as mesmer) and I have seen plenty of people trying chrono probably due to the changes. Probably people who love mesmer hoping to make it work again. Anyway, yes I have seen every chrono go squish pretty easy if they dont run.

@"Lincolnbeard.1735" said:Quality this, quality that but no one says where this "quality" is.

Seems I have to spell it out again....

What I mean with "quality of nerfs and buffs" is how these nerfs and buffs are impacting the performance of the class in the end.That one change that gave back IP to chrono improved the performance of the class more than the nerfs in exchange for it have been weakened it's performance, meaning that compared to the state before these changes chronomancer got buffed.

Counting buffs and nerfs just by their quantity makes no sense.If we would buff 3 of mesmer's weapon spells for a power coefficient of 0,01 and at the same time take away both dodge bars, would you start to say "hey, we got 3 buffs and just 1 nerf!"?

No, because these 3 buffs have almost no impact on your performance since it is so small, but taking away both dodge bars is absolutely devastating and kills the class in the end. Having a mechanical change like IP that allows you to "dry shatter" is way more valuable than what was taken away.

@Moradorin.6217 said:

I play wvw daily still (as mesmer) and I have seen plenty of people trying chrono probably due to the changes. Probably people who love mesmer hoping to make it work again. Anyway, yes I have seen every chrono go squish pretty easy if they dont run.

You can make it work as long as you never fight another person... but if you're going to avoid all fights might as well take your Chrono to Drizzledumb Coasting.

Sadly, your best bet at a roaming Mesmer is back to core PU, and that is boring as hell.

Everything works in WvW. There are so much candies with OP runes and sigils, ascended gear mix with infuz, and food with +40% endurance or -10% damage etc, to make cancer builds for each classes.I'm not sure Chrono grandmaster traits work fine in WvW. Seize the moment or Lost in time ... well, ok ... why ? Chronophantasma could work with annoying phantasms like the focus one, the shield's one or phantasmal defender. But a class with some aoe/cleave will counter it easily once he gets it. And obviously won't work in zerg.Otherwise, the -25% movement condition and +25% movement is great, same for Delayed Reactions, Illusionary reversion, Times catch up ... Wells are almost useless for duel, except the elite one but it can work if outnumbered or small scale. The lost of Distortion, because of IP, hits pretty hard, but as CS has +100 second CD ... you won't even notice it.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"Lincolnbeard.1735" said:Quality this, quality that but no one says where this "quality" is.

Seems I have to spell it out again....

What I mean with "quality of nerfs and buffs" is how these nerfs and buffs are impacting the performance of the class in the end.That one change that gave back IP to chrono improved the performance of the class more than the nerfs in exchange for it have been weakened it's performance, meaning that compared to the state before these changes chronomancer got
buffed

Counting buffs and nerfs just by their quantity makes no sense.If we would buff 3 of mesmer's weapon spells for a power coefficient of 0,01 and at the same time take away both dodge bars, would you start to say "hey, we got 3 buffs and just 1 nerf!"?

No, because these 3 buffs have almost no impact on your performance since it is so small, but taking away both dodge bars is absolutely devastating and kills the class in the end. Having a mechanical change like IP that allows you to "dry shatter" is way more valuable than what was taken away.

No, the impact is minimal.Who the heck cares about IP if the shatters were nerfed, the value of damage and utility you get now is still the sameish as before. Sure you now can f3 to f1 or double it with f5 but who the kitten cares if you're better off playing core both it terms of damage and survival.

Chrono is still trash.