Forced to grind levels, even on a paid account?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kharmin.7683 said:

@ConorT.5396 said:And these people are not even able to experience the best part of the game, without having to be forced to milk cows. To me, it is just insanity.

Then do interesting stuff with them like events and map exploration. The fact you can't make the game interesting by being out of the loop how to make leveling fun is not an issue with the game. You can level perfectly fine without doing a single heart quest.

But times change, and Guild Wars 2 is now 8 years old.

The people who are going to start playing are people who are veterans of other MMORPGS - not people trying an MMO for the first time.

It should be tailored towards this - just like it naturally has been since Guild Wars 1.

Not going backwards to increase user play-time by stretching out content.

It takes me 1 week to lvl a character to 80 without tomes

One week? How many hours? For me, one week is about 4-8 hours because that's about all of the time I can allot. Just curious so that I can compare.

I have to do everything at times and i take breaks

Right, so how many hours do you play on average in a week to level to 80? 2 hours a day (14 hours a week)? 4 hours a day (28 hours a week)?

1 to 2 on that character. I think op only focus on mobs

So, 1-2 hours a week or per day (on average)?

Day

Ok, thanks. That is what I was trying to understand. So, you're able to level to 80 without tomes playing 7-14 hours a week (1-2 hours a day on average).

I've had a guildie who hasn't spoken a word, join up at level 12 and he got to level 80 within 4 days, the guy's a literal machine :< I dont know why they'd do that. Now they've been spending all their time in Fractals, and still not spoken a word or responded to any questions... What a life this is... I'm questionning why they even joined the guild at all...

@Naxos.2503 said:

@ConorT.5396 said:And these people are not even able to experience the best part of the game, without having to be forced to milk cows. To me, it is just insanity.

Then do interesting stuff with them like events and map exploration. The fact you can't make the game interesting by being out of the loop how to make leveling fun is not an issue with the game. You can level perfectly fine without doing a single heart quest.

The people who are going to start playing are people who are veterans of other MMORPGS - not people trying an MMO for the first time.

It should be tailored towards this - just like it naturally has been since Guild Wars 1.

One week? How many hours? For me, one week is about 4-8 hours because that's about all of the time I can allot. Just curious so that I can compare.

Right, so how many hours do you play on average in a week to level to 80? 2 hours a day (14 hours a week)? 4 hours a day (28 hours a week)?

Day

Ok, thanks. That is what I was trying to understand. So, you're able to level to 80 without tomes playing 7-14 hours a week (1-2 hours a day on average).

I've had a guildie who hasn't spoken a word, join up at level 12 and he got to level 80 within 4 days, the guy's a literal machine :< I dont know why they'd do that. Now they've been spending all their time in Fractals, and still not spoken a word or responded to any questions... What a life this is... I'm questionning why they even joined the guild at all...

He probably joined for the XP bonues lol.Or maybe he's just not in a chatty mood.I play on "invisble" a lot when I don't feel like talking, and do the same in real life by turning off my phone.It doesn't have to be anything personal, he's probably just an introvert :)

@jokke.6239 said:

Day

He probably joined for the XP bonues lol.Or maybe he's just not in a chatty mood.I play on "invisble" a lot when I don't feel like talking, and do the same in real life by turning off my phone.It doesn't have to be anything personal, he's probably just an introvert :)

Aye, that's why we dont hold it against him, it's just a bit sad, we'd love to engage with the lad and run stuff with him, but ah well, everyone has it's way to do things

@"Ototo.3214" said:I could be remembering wrong but...doesn't FFXIV, another very popular MMORPG, do the same thing of gating story by level?

If true then I really don't understand what's so bad about having to level up a bit to progress the story. I started the game as a new player with this level gate on the personal story and don't remember it being that bad because they make you scale down in the lower level zones, allowing you to earn decent exp from lower level maps just as easily. Whenever I hit a wall in the story I just took it as an opportunity to map complete or try out the skills on some new weapon my character could use. I was a new player, everything was new so not being able to spam through the story didn't matter to much.Sure, I haven't "naturally" leveled a character in years but i remember doing it and don't recall it being that bad as a brand new player. If all I wanted was to get to end game because I made a new account then yeah, I can see it being somewhat annoying as someone that's use to already having everything on their main account but if you don't like the feel of starting from nothing again then...why do it?

Yes, FFXIV does do that. You have to be on a class that has a certain level to do a quest.

As for GW2, I wouldn't actually recommend players to rush through things to get to newer content.

Here's why:

The newer content is noticeably more difficult than core game content - even in open world. If you rush through the core game content, you may not be able to do the content because you don't know the game well enough. But if you take your time, you can learn the game more and be better able to know what to do to complete the newer content.

So some of the level gating on the story and locking skills to levels is to better prepare players for the challenges they'll face in the story steps and in the open world. It helps force players to slow down some.

@Seera.5916 said:

@"Ototo.3214" said:I could be remembering wrong but...doesn't FFXIV, another very popular MMORPG, do the same thing of gating story by level?

If true then I really don't understand what's so bad about having to level up a bit to progress the story. I started the game as a new player with this level gate on the personal story and don't remember it being that bad because they make you scale down in the lower level zones, allowing you to earn decent exp from lower level maps just as easily. Whenever I hit a wall in the story I just took it as an opportunity to map complete or try out the skills on some new weapon my character could use. I was a new player, everything was new so not being able to spam through the story didn't matter to much.Sure, I haven't "naturally" leveled a character in years but i remember doing it and don't recall it being that bad as a brand new player. If all I wanted was to get to end game because I made a new account then yeah, I can see it being somewhat annoying as someone that's use to already having everything on their main account but if you don't like the feel of starting from nothing again then...why do it?

Yes, FFXIV does do that. You have to be on a class that has a certain level to do a quest.

As for GW2, I wouldn't actually recommend players to rush through things to get to newer content.

Here's why:

The newer content is noticeably more difficult than core game content - even in open world. If you rush through the core game content, you may not be able to do the content because you don't know the game well enough. But if you take your time, you can learn the game more and be better able to know what to do to complete the newer content.

So some of the level gating on the story and locking skills to levels is to better prepare players for the challenges they'll face in the story steps and in the open world. It helps force players to slow down some.

I mean....I agree? XDI don't really recommend new players just rush to the end game either. But unless I'm reading wrong, the OP is someone that's already played that is now trying to start up a 2nd account

@Ototo.3214 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:I could be remembering wrong but...doesn't FFXIV, another very popular MMORPG, do the same thing of gating story by level?

Here's why:

I mean....I agree? XDI don't really recommend new players just rush to the end game either. But unless I'm reading wrong, the OP is someone that's already played that is now trying to start up a 2nd account

It was more a comment directed to the OP.

Seems like he's trying to rush it and may be trying to get his friends to do the same.

Hence the frustration at the level gating on the story missions.

OMG, the only grind I've seen in GW2 was for legendaries or skyscale. You want grind? Try LOTRO. Grind for your legendary weapon (must have there) and end cap gear. A few weeks later, if you're a raider, new gear! Then along comes an expansion, level cap raised, all your gear is worthless! While I love LOTRO for the world and lore, I much prefer GW2 way of doing things.

@sitarskee.5738 said:Bro, imagine paying monthly subscriptions and having to grind af to get best gear :open_mouth:

there are very few games left, that are doing it this way, for obvious reasons. usually you get better gear by doing a short daily mission nownot the BEST, but BETTER. it gives a sense of progression, and most of them gives a box with a choice between 2 items.it works surprisingly well.

You make a lot of unreasonable points, OP. Suddenly, leveling is grindy, even though there was always 80 levels and they even made it a while ago, that for the first 15 levels you get xp boost, so you level way faster.If you only care to do story, then you are playing the wrong game. The fact that you feel like you are only leveling just so you can do story, therefore it feels grinding, is entirely your problem and unreasonable argument. I'm not sure why would you expect to do the whole story when being a rookie that barely can hold a sword. How many games allow you that?