Forced to grind levels, even on a paid account?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"ConorT.5396" said:"You can go kill centaurs, bandits, stone elementals, harpys or drakes."

I cannot stress this enough, Guild Wars should never be about telling players what they can & cannot do at specific levels.

This is my entire point.

You can do anything you like but the story its put into chunks instead of lvl 5,7,10 its now all at level 10.Before you had to level up to since you dident go from level 2 to 5 just by getting the first heart with the cows.EditAs others have said in the thread its the same now as before just put into chunks, you dident get straight from the level 5-7 story by just doing that story step eitherso instead of doing levelup 2½ levels do 1 step level up 1 level do 1 step level up 2½ levels do 1 step you now level up all at the same time.

The numbers are not accurate just to show you the theory.

@ConorT.5396 said:

@ConorT.5396 said:So, I have not naturally levelled a character in over 7 years.

I started a play-through with my friend today, starting from scratch - both on Paid accounts & it appears we are forced to grind to the "recommended level" to continue the personal story?

Is this the way is it suppose to be? It wasn't like this at launch.

Guild Wars, all the way back to Prophecies has never been about grinding repetitive quests for levels.

Why has aNet done this? Do they not see this is driving potential new players away because this is not a generic MMORPG and personal story should not be gated by level.

Its absolute madness.

The only part of your post that made sense is the "It wasn't like this at launch" part.

This game does not force you to grind at all when it comes to personal story. It encourages you to explore the world instead of blitzing through the story, which you both should be doing if you are looking to enjoy the game world in its entirety. If you are viewing it as a grind, you either need to adjust your mindset or admit that this game is not for you.

Or that aNet ruined Guild Wars 2's niche and got in line with the rest of the MMO's in the world by forcing people down a specific route of play & removing freedom.

Yes.

You are not forced down a specific route: you've got 5 level 1-15 maps to choose from and Anet have made it easier than ever to go between them by unlocking the first waypoint in each one automatically and adding an achievement which gives you an item to teleport between them for free (up to 5 uses). Within each of those maps you can play the content in any order you like, with no requirement that you complete it all before moving on. You don't even have to stick to those maps if you don't want to, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from going straight into higher level maps if you know where to find them (although depending on the level difference between your character and the enemies you might find it impossible to survive there), or going straight to WvW and PvP once you get out of the introduction.

Even if for some reason you're not willing to play any other part of PvE you can still level up by playing WvW or PvP for Tomes of Knowledge or by doing crafting (although without going around maps to gather materials you'll have to find a way to get gold to buy them). If you really wanted to you could even wait for Tomes from login rewards and use those, although if you're that desperate to avoid doing anything except the story I'd personally question whether this is the right game for you in the first place.

What you can't do is focus exclusively on the main storyline to the exclusion of absolutely everything else in the game, including the majority of PvE content, until you reach level 80. So they're actually preventing players from forcing themselves down a specific route. But that has never been possible in this game. Even when you could enter the next story mission at any level they never gave you enough experience points to maintain the recommended level without doing other things and if you tried sooner or later you'd reach a point where it was impossible to progress because the enemies would kill you instantly, then you'd have to stop playing the story and find something else to do to level up.

I appreciate you're only interested in the story and do not want to play the rest of the game, but coming to the forum 8 years after release and acting like this is some strange new development we should all be shocked and confused by isn't the way to go.

Yeah I remember this it was to stop the key farm um uh for the new player experience!I can still remember the days when you could get as many keys as you want in a week and there was no level required to progress to that part of the story.

I wish I could give you some of the 4k tomes of knowledge that I have laying around.... I have always found it it odd that we have a new player experience since arena net doesn't do much to bring in new players. I always chuckle when I see GW2 ads on a web page come asking me to "JOIN NOW" or emails for the latest living story update.

But to stay on topic I always preferred to gain levels doing map completion and any events I saw along the way. I also suggest that you keep your gear within 10 levels of your character level greens and blues will be fine. I always made it a point ever time I moved up 10 levels to change all my gear with stuff from the trading post.

@"ConorT.5396" said:"You can go kill centaurs, bandits, stone elementals, harpys or drakes."

I cannot stress this enough, Guild Wars should never be about telling players what they can & cannot do at specific levels.

This is my entire point.

So it's obvious you should just quit , move on, find a new game, give me your stuff.

@"ConorT.5396" said:Guild Wars should never be about telling players what they can & cannot do at specific levels.

This is my entire point.

1sh7w5q.png

And our entire point is that the game isn't about telling you what to do any more than it did at launch.

The feedback I have from my early days and the feedback of the many new players I meet while adventuring around in the old maps (something I still do because I genuinely find it fun) is that the exploring feels natural and most folks either don't hit the level limit for content or don't mind that they do. You either like marching around the world or you don't, but it's not designed as a grind and very few people have called it that at during any point in the game's lifespan.

The idea has always been to immerse yourself in Tyria, at least early in the game. It's an RPG specifically because of this. There may be an argument to be made about grinding in end-game content, but that's a separate issue unrelated to the core stuff you're talking about.

@ConorT.5396 said:Or that aNet ruined Guild Wars 2's niche and got in line with the rest of the MMO's in the world by forcing people down a specific route of play & removing freedom.

Yes.

You are being completely unreasonable.

Guild Wars 2 is a very different MMORPG to the rest of the market. The game actively encourages you to explore and rewards you for it. A lot of other MMORPGs do not do this or do not do it well.

I am currently replaying the story on 3 different characters and I am loving the experience of replaying the story on all 3 of them. I embrace the game for what is is, not what it is not.

If you believe a developer should bend to your will to give you what you want instead of adjusting your expectations then you need to reconsider.

His 1st ever discussion and he put 70 comments in. I can't remember many mmo's that you didn't need to be a certain level to progress story. I do remember starting out in gw2 and getting wrecked in the like level 15 one because I was like level 9. That's def a quality exp and this is what he's missing. He doesn't want to grind at first he wants to enter story get wrecked then go oh let me grind a few levels now. Also somehow milking cows and cleaning graffiti is much worse then other mmos fetch / kill 10 mobs/items. This is every game so mmos are just not for you

@AgentMoore.9453 said:

@"ConorT.5396" said:Guild Wars should never be about telling players what they can & cannot do at specific levels.

This is my entire point.

1sh7w5q.png

And our entire point is that the game
isn't
about telling you what to do any more than it did at launch.

The feedback I have from my early days and the feedback of the many new players I meet while adventuring around in the old maps (something I still do because I genuinely find it fun) is that the exploring feels natural and most folks either don't hit the level limit for content or don't mind that they do. You either like marching around the world or you don't, but it's not designed as a grind and very few people have called it that at during any point in the game's lifespan.

The idea has always been to immerse yourself in Tyria, at least early in the game. It's an RPG specifically because of this. There may be an argument to be made about grinding in end-game content, but that's a separate issue unrelated to the core stuff you're talking about.

Its just a fact, that Guild Wars has taught us that EXPLORING means, EXPLORING - not been hand-held throughout moving around the map with level restrictions on personal story & quests.

The fact is, a restriction has been added. That for me, and many new members I have met & also some veteran members I had discussed this topic with - has ruined the flow, the feeling & soul of Guild Wars.

If you people enjoy been restricted by levels, that is fine and your opinion.

But it has never been what guild wars is about.

@Jilora.9524 said:His 1st ever discussion and he put 70 comments in. I can't remember many mmo's that you didn't need to be a certain level to progress story. I do remember starting out in gw2 and getting wrecked in the like level 15 one because I was like level 9. That's def a quality exp and this is what he's missing. He doesn't want to grind at first he wants to enter story get wrecked then go oh let me grind a few levels now. Also somehow milking cows and cleaning graffiti is much worse then other mmos fetch / kill 10 mobs/items. This is every game so mmos are just not for you

What does my topic & comment count have to do with anything?

You can't remember any MMO's that had no level restrictions?

Guild Wars 1 & Guild Wars 2 vanilla.

I'm going to throw out my own personal experience here. I joined in March due to lockdown. (like many others) I created an Asura necromancer.

First, I can see some disappointment in Queensdale. In my opinion, Metrica is far more interesting. The feeling of the unknown and fantastical permeates the area. By the time that starts to wear off, you're waging your own personal war with the Inquest. I have friends that played human, norn and sylvari and I partied with them in their homelands and I still found Metrica the best. It may have the equivalent of milking cows, (fix the malfunctioning golems) but the wrapper is important so I didn't feel bored.

Second, I made sure to boot myself into maps where I was on the bottom of the level curve. One of my friends always went for map completion, but I focused on keeping the fights and events challenging by putting myself into harder areas as soon as possible. Especially if I'm in a group. Central Tyria is not a struggle when you're alone, so in a group it's ridiculously easy. If in a group, it was better to jump into group events or harder bosses, or more likely, into areas where we were underleveled for the area. This kept the mechanics interesting and forced me to improve my builds and explore that aspect of the game.

Third, if story is your thing, then progressing through the maps should fill that itch. It took me a while to realize how each map is not only a physical location, but a temporal one. Each one tells a story of some part in Tyria at a specific time, usually progressing forward with level. So the story you may only loosely follow does progress through the maps. What starts as peaceful and relatively calm becomes war torn, chaotic and wild as you progress. And some of the meta events tell fantastic stories. Which is why I also recommend shooting through maps to higher levels as soon as you're able.

Fourth, I actually found leveling to be too fast. I am happily enjoying endgame content, but shooting up 15 levels because I wanted to play around with crafting and see how the system worked was quite disappointing at the time. I hit level 80 without needing to touch most of the maps. Which does leave a lot of exploring for endgame content, but it hardly makes any of those maps challenging from a mechanical/combat point of view, so it honestly felt like I was robbed of experiencing those stories since it's not as interesting to go through them at level 80.

I don't think any of this changes the OP's points or counteracts their arguments, but as a new player, it should be worthwhile to note my own experience so it can be added to the pile of knowledge when making arguments about how new players feel about the game. It could be I'm in the minority. I very much enjoy GW2 and I enjoyed my early days of leveling up. I did it in a way which for me, did not come across as a grind. The personal story quest was interesting, but hardly the driving factor for the game. At least not until LW2 and Heart of Thrones, which were far more engaging. But that's an argument for another thread.

@Donutdude.9582 said:

@ConorT.5396 said:Or that aNet ruined Guild Wars 2's niche and got in line with the rest of the MMO's in the world by forcing people down a specific route of play & removing freedom.

Yes.

You are being completely unreasonable.

Guild Wars 2 is a
very
different MMORPG to the rest of the market. The game actively encourages you to explore and rewards you for it. A lot of other MMORPGs do not do this or do not do it well.

I am currently replaying the story on 3 different characters and I am loving the experience of replaying the story on all 3 of them. I embrace the game for what is is, not what it is not.

If you believe a developer should bend to your will to give you what you want instead of adjusting your expectations then you need to reconsider.

Well, its not bending to my will - its just fact.

Guild Wars, since the beginning of its existence did not have any restrictions on personal story, movement or map progression.

Now it does, and for me - that has taken away from the game. It has lost its niche.

At the end of the day, it's been this way for most of GW2's life and therefore is a part of the way GW2 is set up to play for new players.

If it was something Anet saw as a problem after they implemented it based on new player feedback and whatever metrics they use, then they would have changed it in the intervening years.

Is it something I like? Not really. Is it a problem enough to warrant such anger and stress over? No. There are plenty of issues in GW2 that need addressing. This isn't close to being a problem. I mean masteries uses a similar gating after level 80 - certain parts of the maps require you to level and "buy" with mastery points certain skills to progress

@ConorT.5396 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:His 1st ever discussion and he put 70 comments in. I can't remember many mmo's that you didn't need to be a certain level to progress story. I do remember starting out in gw2 and getting wrecked in the like level 15 one because I was like level 9. That's def a quality exp and this is what he's missing. He doesn't want to grind at first he wants to enter story get wrecked then go oh let me grind a few levels now. Also somehow milking cows and cleaning graffiti is much worse then other mmos fetch / kill 10 mobs/items. This is every game so mmos are just not for you

It means most likely you rolled in here on an alt account to make this discussion and after 72 comments outta what 115 means no one can change your mind. You had limits in GW2 because you eventually couldn't beat story or survive in the area you needed to get to because you were so low. I got to level 12 maybe in GW1. Any new player with you trying to rush them thru content is not going to have a good exp. Let them play the game. What's your guild btw?

@"Randulf.7614" said:At the end of the day, it's been this way for most of GW2's life and therefore is a part of the way GW2 is set up to play for new players.

If it was something Anet saw as a problem after they implemented it based on new player feedback and whatever metrics they use, then they would have changed it in the intervening years.

Is it something I like? Not really. Is it a problem enough to warrant such anger and stress over? No. There are plenty of issues in GW2 that need addressing. This isn't close to being a problem. I mean masteries uses a similar gating after level 80 - certain parts of the maps require you to level and "buy" with mastery points certain skills to progress

But the entire reason I brought this up, is that there has been a influx of new players into the game.

When this was introduced the new player base was stagnant (around 2 years after launch) - so there was no one to complain or measure.

aNet are now loosing the last potential burst of new players by this restriction, which in turn is loosing them revenue & pulling forth the inevitable death of the game.

Due to world events - there are many people looking for new MMORPGS - aNet will never get a potential influx of players like this again & they are blowing it.

@Jilora.9524 said:

It means most likely you rolled in here on an alt account to make this discussion and after 72 comments outta what 115 means no one can change your mind. You had limits in GW2 because you eventually couldn't beat story or survive in the area you needed to get to because you were so low. I got to level 12 maybe in GW1. Any new player with you trying to rush them thru content is not going to have a good exp. Let them play the game. What's your guild btw?

No ALT account, this account is 7 years old & has around 5000 hours game time.

No one can change my mind because I have not seen a valid reason how the new restriction improves the new player experience.

@Jilora.9524 said:

Also, just another point here - is that there is a difference between rushing people through the game & people been forced to do repetitive, DATED events & heart quests. (Once again, in Queensdale - Milking a cow does not even have its own animation but the character uses the dance Emote). In 2020 is this the quality of content people are expected to be locked too in a new MMORPG they are going to spend their time in?

Please remember that core hearts & world events are not the GEM of Guild Wars too anymore, they are badly made, poor & dated. And this is what new members are tied too.

The maps only really get challenging after Lions Arch - Veteran MMORPG players do not want to be bored for 20+ hours game play before they get somewhere that actually pushes their ability.

@ConorT.5396 said:

No one can change my mind because I have not seen a valid reason how the new restriction improves the new player experience.

Ok, still you have dominated the conversation. All new players might not only care about story. All new players might not share your opinion. Even if members of this not named guild agree they could just agree cause you the leader. You don't gather or craft and that speeds up leveling so any new person who comes in here just playing and experiencing the game will have more fun then you grabbing him and telling him how to play then complaining to him how he shouldn't have to do hearts at all and just story. So it's you that ruins the new players exp. What guild btw?

@ConorT.5396 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:At the end of the day, it's been this way for most of GW2's life and therefore is a part of the way GW2 is set up to play for new players.

But the entire reason I brought this up, is that there has been a influx of new players into the game.

When this was introduced the new player base was stagnant (around 2 years after launch) - so there was no one to complain or measure.

aNet are now loosing the last potential burst of new players by this restriction, which in turn is loosing them revenue & pulling forth the inevitable death of the game.

Due to world events - there are many people looking for new MMORPGS - aNet will never get a potential influx of players like this again & they are blowing it.

They have had prob much larger influxes of players in the past. HoT was fairly big. PoF was so large an influx that support ran 4-6 weeks to cope with the demand of lapse and new accounts. WHatever influx we may or may not have now (and I'll be surprised it is that big since MMO's are not really something new players look for anymore), it is unlikely to compare to previous influxes. We have precisely zero data to say whether Anet is losing players because of the NPE. Just anecdotal info.

By all means bring it up. By all means feed back that you you prefer the original version, but the over the top and exaggerated anger is unwarranted. Anet will understand better than us if it worked and the general feedback they had back when they changed it was that new players did not like the freeform version the game launched with and felt lost.

@Jilora.9524 said:

Ok, still you have dominated the conversation. All new players might not only care about story. All new players might not share your opinion. Even if members of this not named guild agree they could just agree cause you the leader. You don't gather or craft and that speeds up leveling so any new person who comes in here just playing and experiencing the game will have more fun then you grabbing him and telling him how to play then complaining to him how he shouldn't have to do hearts at all and just story. So it's you that ruins the new players exp. What guild btw?

I am basing my entire point on the fact I have recruited over 600 people to my guild over the last 3 months, and I have seen an exceptionally high rate of new players between 50-200 achievement points never logging on again.

And before this into a direct criticism against my guild, just like it did against my in-game experience (which not once during this discussion have I bragged about because I know it is NOTHING compared to most people, even likely commenting on this thread) - let me just remind you that would not be an argument to the fact that I have personally witnessed an extremely high rate of new players leaving the game.

I have also had a large amount of players asking me "What do I do next" and "I am bored what else can I do except these hearts".

@ConorT.5396 said:

I am basing my entire point on the fact I have recruited over 6000 people to my guild over the last 3 months, and I have seen an exceptionally high rate of new players between 50-200 achievement points never logging on again.

Guilds have a cap of 500 players. That is some insane player loss you have had.

@ConorT.5396 said:

Also, just another point here - is that there is a difference between rushing people through the game & people been forced to do repetitive, DATED events & heart quests. (Once again, in Queensdale - Milking a cow does not even have its own animation but the character uses the dance Emote). In 2020 is this the quality of content people are expected to be locked too in a new MMORPG they are going to spend their time in?

Please remember that core hearts & world events are not the GEM of Guild Wars too anymore, they are badly made, poor & dated. And this is what new members are tied too.

The maps only really get challenging after Lions Arch - Veteran MMORPG players do not want to be bored for 20+ hours game play before they get somewhere that actually pushes their ability.

They are new. It's not repetitive to them. It is to you and I bet you talk their ear off about it again ruining their exp. Just recruit a new player give him 4 15 slot bags and tell him if you get stuck at story or a hero point hmu and I will help. Let them be free to decide on their own not forced to play your way in a game that's repetitive to all of us hence why we use tomes of knowledge to skip everything

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:At the end of the day, it's been this way for most of GW2's life and therefore is a part of the way GW2 is set up to play for new players.

They have had prob much larger influxes of players in the past. HoT was fairly big. PoF was so large an influx that support ran 4-6 weeks to cope with the demand of lapse and new accounts. WHatever influx we may or may not have now (and I'll be surprised it is that big since MMO's are not really something new players look for anymore), it is unlikely to compare to previous influxes. We have precisely zero data to say whether Anet is losing players because of the NPE. Just anecdotal info.

By all means bring it up. By all means feed back that you you prefer the original version, but the over the top and exaggerated anger is unwarranted. Anet will understand better than us if it worked and the general feedback they had back when they changed it was that new players did not like the freeform version the game launched with and felt lost.

There is no anger here - just my opinion on what is going on.

And I am sorry that I am able to put across my point, provide facts THAT I KNOW TO BE TRUE, from in-game experience & debate my issues with reasoning.

But that is not anger.

@Jilora.9524 said:

They are new. It's not repetitive to them. It is to you and I bet you talk their ear off about it again ruining their exp. Just recruit a new player give him 4 15 slot bags and tell him if you get stuck at story or a hero point hmu and I will help. Let them be free to decide on their own not forced to play your way in a game that's repetitive to all of us hence why we use tomes of knowledge to skip everything

Once again, complete non-sense because I have a team of mentors who run as officers in the guild with scheduled world events for beginners, new players - all the way up to focus Raid Squads.

So please, come up with a more reasonable explanation than this targeted hate because you cannot counter my points.

@Jilora.9524 said:

It becomes repetitive after they have interacted a 3rd time with an object to spawn a mob & kill it.