Guild Wars 2: Remastered

@Haiku.7812 said:

Even if it was a deliberate choice (which, to be honest, I highly doubt due to the attention to design and the initial push to exploration, views, etc), it's really aging really bad really fast.GW2 is built on GW1 code. It was a design choice.

I Stand corrected then. I still think that's a decision that aged poorly and it's not properly optimized in the first place, not taking proper advantage of multiple cores.Of course we are talking of something a decade old - I thought it was a great game and still think it is - but that's the point, it's a decade old tech.Yeah, it also helps to explain why some things are bugged and remain so. Anet is hesitant to fix some things not knowing what might break and make matters possibly worse. IMO, the skimmer race debacle earlier this week is a prime example.
  • Confused 1

@HotDelirium.7984 said:This is Raymera and I have some thoughts:

-I cringe every time I see half-aced animations like handing something off or 2 people interacting or even pushing a button. I wish those were a bit tighter as if I'm ACTUALY interacting with a world a not my animation space is interacting with that items interaction space. I want things to actually connect.

-Transitions are also important. I know its a game but enemies blinking in to attack and then dying and blinking off is offputting to me. A slow disintegration or them melting into the earth or smoke poof, something, would be great and immersive.

I don't know what race you play, but all the head armor that are not helmets, but accessories just float slightly off asura head and look terrible on charr. They sometimes have been changed to look different on charr, but they still look equally bad, sometimes even worse. My question to everyone is: do they look as bad on humans? (My guess is: no)

I would rather they add blood and gore in all games that are about fighting and killing, because you can't murder something or someone without all that good stuff. But that is an impossible dream.

I would like to start my post and voice my opinion with a popular and very true quote:

"If it's not broken, don't fix it."

There's nothing wrong with Guild Wars 2's engine. Even if it really is Guild Wars 1, that's nothing short of amazing. Engines aren't cheap, they cause problems and the entire game including it's API and backend needs to be refigured to work with the new engines. The Devs wouldn't do something that drastic for Guild Wars 2 unless it was absolutely necessary and I do not blame them.

That being said, Guild Wars 1 had a variety of issues for it's time - the biggest one easily being the limitations on the servers, which had nothing to do with the engine. Only being able to download data at 2mb/s, the constant rubber banding which always killed us in combat or running.

I digress, when I first saw Guild Wars 2 I was quite excited, having played the original game from 2005, 15 years straight as of today. I've unlocked the full Eye of the North, my hall was packed and I finished almost every achievement leading into Guild Wars 2. But why did I quit Guild Wars 2? Simple answer any veteran of the original game and loved it as much as I did would most likely agree:

We are limited by our capabilities. What do I mean by this?

In the original game, you had a problem, you didn't need a group of 5-6 people to solve it in PvE. Guild Wars 1 introduced henchman at first, which were an AI substitute for players, and later in Nightfall (amazing expansion), a brilliant new hero system that eventually allowed us to control and manually build/alter the runes, weapons and armor of three individual heroes in our party. This opened the gap for a lot of solo play, which greatly appealed to me in the earlier days. I was always going back, completing every single mission on Heroic difficulty and facing the challenges of the game or farming by myself. Not needing a party was one of the best things about Guild Wars. It was still very fitting for group players at the same time.

Next reason, and this is the biggest one - Weapons in Guild Wars 2 define and greatly LIMIT the amount of skills your character and class has access to. Anybody who didn't play the original Guild Wars, you wouldn't be familiar with having around 400+ skills to mix and match with a single class by yourself. I remember hours upon hours I spent constructing my own list of some 75+ builds for PvP, PvE, Solo farming end-game content, or mission grinding, whatever I was doing, I had a build thought up to ensure I could be efficient.

Guild Wars 2 more or less catered to the new generation of MMO players and build diversity was one of the original concepts that made the game so popular. It's probably one of the best reasons your original game still has over 2000+ players on a daily basis, if not more. (2000 is what I heard as of recent).

If there's ever an expansion (and I am saddened that Dervish and Cantha are only now just making it into Guild Wars 2), that brings back build diversity in the way I am referring to? You can bet I will reinstall Guild Wars 2 and start playing it religiously tomorrow.

@Yggranya.5201 said:I don't know what race you play, but all the head armor that are not helmets, but accessories just float slightly off asura head and look terrible on charr. They sometimes have been changed to look different on charr, but they still look equally bad, sometimes even worse. My question to everyone is: do they look as bad on humans? (My guess is: no)

i play male and female human a lot, i do play as asura and sylvari as well but not as much as humans, and from my observation: no, the reading glasses, masks, and the eye-masks on armour and outfits (like Exemplar's Attire) and other non-helmets look fine... they don't look like they're floating but a lot of hairstyles do clip on them (unless they only cover the mouth for example)

@Haiku.7812 said:

Even if it was a deliberate choice (which, to be honest, I highly doubt due to the attention to design and the initial push to exploration, views, etc), it's really aging really bad really fast.GW2 is built on GW1 code. It was a design choice.

I Stand corrected then. I still think that's a decision that aged poorly and it's not properly optimized in the first place, not taking proper advantage of multiple cores.Of course we are talking of something a decade old - I thought it was a great game and still think it is - but that's the point, it's a decade old tech.

we can take Destiny 2 for example, it's engine was based on Destiny 1's which in turn was based off of Halo3/Reach Engine. being an old engine isn't a reason they can't use it as a foundation for a new, more improved engine. 

but to be honest, we don't need a remaster or a new engine for GW2. the devs just need to update it to use more modern rendering: at the very least, DirectX11 but ideally DirectX12 or Vulkan. that's less work than rebuilding all assets and the whole engine and something more feasible to be included in the upcoming expansion.

this is a better way to future proof the game because as time passes, more and more older computers get junked or are discarded because not every consumer can take care of their machines properly (laptops most especially) so there will come a time where more and more pcs will be able to take advantages of DirectX12 and DirectX11 and be able to output more performance running under the said renderers vs. DX9.

and of course, they don't need to cut-off DirectX9 rendering and keep it as a legacy option for people left with older hardware.

here's an image from reddit:cSsS0sL.png

all these games have shown performance improvements (on modern hardware that can take advantage of it) after upgrading from DirectX9 to DirectX11 (or in WoW's case DirectX12)

@Haiku.7812 said:

@Haiku.7812 said:This is honestly just not true. GW2 does not run well at all. I have a really really beefy modern build, in GW2 I get the same framerate I get in Monster Hunter World

I'll rephrase, GW2 is working as intended.GW2 is not a WoW copycat and does not target only existing players of the genre. It also targets people who are absolutely new to gaming and mmo. So the game is designed to lean heavily on the CPU. This means the game runs on most systems (for example, it runs on my laptop with an integrated intel GPU and it is playable). The downside is that people with high-end systems have not as good gameplay as with games that are designed with a different mindset. This effects gets stronger where people have a high-end GPU, but a CPU with huge amounts of cores where each core in itself is poor.This is in my opinion as designed as it was the same with GW1. That also played on my low end laptop with integrated GPU and had the same complaints from people with high end systems.

The main issue here is the entitlement. A company makes designdecissions and people with a high end system thinks they are entitled to a system that performs perfect on their system. The fact that this would mean the game would play lesser to those with lesser systems is to them of no importance.

I didn't research far on the issues, but from what I learn, I can't agree with you: there's lots of people with issues, and the game doesn't take advantage of multiple cores properly, and seems to be instead highly dependant on high speed single cores - which is really an old issue with games in general and is becoming more and more obsolete, expecially since AMD got back and it is now pretty much standard for budget gaming.

it is basically impossible to do parallel processing with MMOs as commands in-game are issued by multiple players at once

A very simple exampleSay Player A a necro throws down a Well of Corruption just micro-seconds before his team mate Player B a guardian does a Leap of Faithbecause the commands are processed in sequence via a single pipeline, so there is a very clear sequence and triggers the Dark Aura on the Guardianbut if the commands are processed through two parallel piplines, the system will need to go back and check the timestamp of which command got issued first which is really inefficient; and there could be delays in a cpu thread because there are unfinished tasks, so the Leap of Faith command could be completed before Well of Corruption command is done

Intel is still the recommended CPU for high-end gaming due to the speed of single thread processing, AMD is better for streamers as there are more spare capacity to run more concurrent programs

@Haiku.7812 said:

I Stand corrected then. I still think that's a decision that aged poorly and it's not properly optimized in the first place, not taking proper advantage of multiple cores.Of course we are talking of something a decade old - I thought it was a great game and still think it is - but that's the point, it's a decade old tech.Make that almost
two
decades old tech.

Still think its aged poorly? At least its not running a modified Quake 3 engine.

@"Astyrah.4015" said:and of course, they don't need to cut-off DirectX9 rendering and keep it as a legacy option for people left with older hardware.

This is what's so puzzling about all the comments about "it is like this so it can run on my potato", it's not like games have graphic settings that can be toggled on and off.

• 1 month later...

The game desperately needs re-optimising in some fashion...

It's horrendous being able to find benchmark videos on youtube with some of the most expensive CPUS and single-core performance, hitting 20-30 FPS in vanilla open-world boss fights.

I just upgraded my CPU for some extra performance, solely for GW2. Hell... I'd pay real money to have it as a 60fps experience permanently.

@phreeak.1023 said:Dont care about better graphics. Only about an DX upgrade, so the game uses more cores and runs smoother in events or wvw with more than 20 people.

Really, we just need whatever can fix this issue.

It wasn't what we expected on the release of the game - and it's still likely the worst element of the game.All this while it is being released on steam, though I'm not sure what the hope is.

The advertising for the game around release clearly brought vast numbers of players - they just couldn't retain them.

• 1 month later...

after I bought a RTX nvidia card that works like a charm on many games supporting raytracing,I know the reflections of GW2 are good enough, better than most mmorpgs, still with all the fog and slight ambient occlusion and depth of field already ingame a map feels kinda empty with barely volumetric lightning but just faced textures of fog at campfires made with particle systems.Anet is extremely creative and brings very potent content but it took me 8 years to slowly build a desktop that can run an AB meta without gfx lag killing me softly when I want to loot AB. so DX12? are there expensive licences to be made? people say the game is playable with a 7fps and I have ran gw2 like that on a crappy computer but it doesn't motivate the player to priortize things they want ingame and most people quit because they refuse lower gfx settings.

Early (like 10 years ago) GFX wasn't an issue at all. people used their own imagination to bring life to a story or RP.I guess people (well me) got a little eyelazy. but we live in modern times.

I'm aware remastering the whole game is not gonna happen. hopefully dx12 and raytracing will become a thing eventually.

I have a little modeling and texturing experience and I wouldn't mind to work on 4k textures in Vanilla for free.I can't stand looking at a rock with a 512x512 texture that's bigger than my toon. also I see alot of improvement in how the developers make a map.You see this in drizzlewood, the new fractal and PoF. but the difference between quality from content made years ago and content that released this year made a huge leep in how things look/act/behave.

OK. so maybe not a remaster...But increasing FPS and raytracing for the big gamers out there would be a nice asset to see Tyria in full glory

• 1 year later...