Looking For A Guide on How To Play Scourge in WvW

PrinceValentine.9320

I main Firebrand and I want to play DPS for a change. I know scourges are highly in demand for WvW. I wonder if they are more difficult to play compared to FB. Playing FB can be annoying sometimes because I have to always look at the movement of the commander and there are times that I use my tomes prematurely. I don't use discord that much because I feel shy that people might laugh at me because English is not my first language and I have an accent.

I want to play scourge or any class that are at the backline of the squad, just for a change.

@PrinceValentine.9320 said:I main Firebrand and I want to play DPS for a change. I know scourges are highly in demand for WvW. I wonder if they are more difficult to play compared to FB. Playing FB can be annoying sometimes because I have to always look at the movement of the commander and there are times that I use my tomes prematurely. I don't use discord that much because I feel shy that people might laugh at me because English is not my first language and I have an accent.

I want to play scourge or any class that are at the backline of the squad, just for a change.

So... a couple of things:

• commanders don’t really need you to talk on discord unless it’s a guild group and there are specific things they want
  • Going to scourge may even be more important to talk on discord (compared to FB) as often the commander wants to know if certain skills are in cooldown.
  • Often, the commander is on a FB And will know the cooldowns. (though commanders will use other classes that have decent mobility or specific skills, but I have rarely seen necro/scourge)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wvw+scourge+guide

Among the first five entries you have guides from Risen, Metallone and Shari.

There are always going to be opinions on what and who is representative but for your purposes of getting a general understanding I'm sure any of them works. Couple that with talking to people in your server community (commanders, someone you see alot on scourge, someone from a decent enough guild, if your server has a community guild or a guild that fills that function, etc.) and you should have a grasp of what is expected of you in general content.

Ed. Ps. Core Guardians are generally accepted as damage dealers in pickups now so you could always just try a different build on your main. It might help with gearing and just having a general experience with the confines of the class.

Scourges are pretty much the only ones that "need" to talk so that the commander can coordinate the nuke - firebrands are just expected to pop stab on every push, revs just spam hammer skills and commanders generally forget that the 15+ scrappers in the squad has stealth and calls for veil from a non-existing chrono instead.

So if you dont want to talk, maybe rev is easier.

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wvw+scourge+guide

There are always going to be opinions on what and who is representative but for your purposes of getting a general understanding I'm sure any of them works. Couple that with talking to people in your server community (commanders, someone you see alot on scourge, someone from a decent enough guild, if your server has a community guild or a guild that fills that function, etc.) and you should have a grasp of what is expected of you in general content.

Ed. Ps. Core Guardians are generally accepted as damage dealers in pickups now so you could always just try a different build on your main. It might help with gearing and just having a general experience with the confines of the class.

I appreciate that this edit has already aged poorly.

@God.2708 said:

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:

I appreciate that this edit has already aged poorly.Haha, indeed, that patch just landed with a good dose of irony.

I only play scourge in WvW. All of my 3,600+ levels are from it. Sure people make fun but there is a role for everyone in a zerg. As a scourge yours is to corrupt boons. If you use the trait Feed from Corruption in the scourge trait line every boon you corrupt comes to you.

A good scourge will not always drop shades or Breaches on group because boons are quickly reapplied. I find anticipating where the enemy zergs going and dropping everything you got on where they are going to be. This takes practice and it will be greatly different depending on the commander you are facing. Staying on tag is a must if you get caught straying to far away from tag you may be testing your nearest waypoint. Barrier can save your life.

If you do happen to make a bad move you can save yourself with properly timed barriers to help you make it to your group. Remember to not use all of your barrier at once. People will continuously try to lock you down use your barrier to cleanse the lock down and let you keep moving. Sigil of Stamina will also help with your mobility because of your ability to hit many targets at once and someone is almost always getting killed and it will refill your endurance bar each kill. Evade your way to safety.

When you see the enemy start to scatter its your job to focus the back line. Load them with conditions to stop them from getting away. This is the only time it is acceptable to freelance and get away from your tag.

That is my quick 5 min overview of my over 1,100 hrs in WvW as a scourge. I know everyone plays it different but this is what I found to be most effective for my play style and group.