[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:There are thousands of people already at the 1st or 2nd day of feeding their Scyscale. At this point redesigning the collection would be a disaster.I like it as it is. A collection inspired by the spirit of a true RPG. Raising your baby Skyscale feels so natural :)

A redesign isn't required.
  • Unlock the collections as soon as they are available. They do not have to be unlocked immediately, but they should be unlocked after you complete the previous collection. This removes the first time gate.
  • Keep the 3rd collection as-is with Charged Quartz / Food, players can buy the food on TP for gold if they find it necessary. However, remove the limit for feeding the Skyscale 3 times a day.
  • Null the remaining time-based mechanics.

That's about it.

Okay, if we remove the time gate of the tens of eaters I have in my inventory ;)Do you eat 20-30 times a day? Baby skyscales should eat 3 times a day. This is how a real RPG feels like.

You are not only feeding a single Skyscale, you are feeding 12. Visually and mechanically you are only feeding 1, but Achievement&Lore-wise you have to feed all 12 you hatched.

Your eaters are not a mount that was promised/highly suggested/advertised to be available at the release of the episode.

Additionally, your eaters are entirely optional for all intents and purposes; over 6 years I've yet to own one of these.

Please do not compare apples and oranges.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:There are thousands of people already at the 1st or 2nd day of feeding their Scyscale. At this point redesigning the collection would be a disaster.I like it as it is. A collection inspired by the spirit of a true RPG. Raising your baby Skyscale feels so natural :)

This would be like saying that cars shouldn't be invented, because it isn't fair to all the old people who had to walk everywhere. There is no equivalence of injustice; it doesn't matter how many people were subjugated to bad design. A bad system should be fixed.

So you are saying that it is ok for you to put your 2 yo kid in advanced technological incubator and make it 25 yo adult instantly?

the only positive i can see from this overly dragged out collections and time gates is it will affect anets sales once they bring out the new skins for it.they are sending out emails asking if we met the new skyscale mount.NOPE still bogged down on your ridiculous collecton.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

This would be like saying that cars shouldn't be invented, because it isn't fair to all the old people who had to walk everywhere. There is no equivalence of injustice; it doesn't matter how many people were subjugated to bad design. A bad system should be fixed.

So you are saying that it is ok for you to put your 2 yo kid in advanced technological incubator and make it 25 yo adult instantly?

A kid is real, this is not. In addition, the Skyscales already exhibit signs of dramatically increased aging because reasons.

There is no logic to it, therefore why do we need specific logic here just to justify making people wait?

This argument has already been made in previous pages and other topics, albeit very few times.

@Rukario.1695 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

A kid is real, this is not. In addition, the Skyscales already exhibit signs of dramatically increased aging
because reasons.

There is no logic to it, therefore why do we need specific logic here just to justify making people wait?

This argument has already been made in previous pages and other topics, albeit very few times.

Because this is what defines Role Playing Game.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

A kid is real, this is not. In addition, the Skyscales already exhibit signs of dramatically increased aging
because reasons.

You began by stating you didn't want it changed because it would screw everything up and confuse people.

• I gave you very concise reasons and specified as to why this wasn't true.

You decided that you think they should stay because it makes it more "realistic" as an RPG.

• I told you why that wasn't true, as you are feeding 12 different Skyscales. Visually and mechanically you are only feeding 1.

I'll leave it at that as there isn't much else to say about either points.

@Rukario.1695 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

because reasons.

• You began by stating you didn't want it changed because it would screw everything up and confuse people.

I gave you very concise reasons and specifications as to why this wasn't true.
  • You decided that you needed another reason that you didn't mention before.

I told you why that wasn't true.

I have literally said in 3 different posts these things:

"Raising your baby Skyscale feels so natural""This is how a real RPG feels like.""Because this is what defines Role Playing Game."

You said that I needed another reason that I haven't mentioned before... seems like you are twisting the facts.It is ok, I will leave here, however I know ANET are not twisting the facts and I am 99,9% sure they will not change the collection and I respect them for that.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

because reasons.

• You began by stating you didn't want it changed because it would screw everything up and confuse people.

I gave you very concise reasons and specifications as to why this wasn't true.
  • You decided that you needed another reason that you didn't mention before.

I told you why that wasn't true.

I have literally said in 3 different posts these things:

"Raising your baby Skyscale feels so natural""This is how a real RPG feels like.""Because this is what defines Role Playing Game."

You said that I needed another reason that I haven't mentioned before... seems like you are twisting the facts.It is ok, I will leave here, however I know ANET are not twisting the facts and I am 99,9% sure they will not change the collection and I respect them for that.

So if I feed my pet a minute before the daily reset and it gets hungry a minute later that’s natural? That’s how real rpgs operate?

Let me find out.

Wouldn’t it make sense to have the skyscale get hungry in set hours or something(2-5 hrs). Not based off a daily reset.

Edit - My bad that’s on me my logic was flawed. I’ll admit that.

Because I'm so delusional apparently and I'm twisting facts, here, you can read it again in order.

I responded to what you've said but you've completely disregarded anything you didn't want to hear. That isn't my problem.

A redesign isn't required.

• Unlock the collections as soon as they are available. They do not have to be unlocked immediately, but they should be unlocked after you complete the previous collection. This removes the first time gate.
  • Keep the 3rd collection as-is with Charged Quartz / Food, players can buy the food on TP for gold if they find it necessary. However, remove the limit for feeding the Skyscale 3 times a day.
  • Null the remaining time-based mechanics.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:Do you eat 20-30 times a day? Baby skyscales should eat 3 times a day. This is how a real RPG feels like.

You are not only feeding a single Skyscale, you are feeding 12. Visually and mechanically you are only feeding 1, but Achievement & Lore-wise you have to feed all 12 you hatched.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:[in response to feeding all 12 meat without time constraints.]So you are saying that it is ok for you to put your 2 yo kid in advanced technological incubator and make it 25 yo adult instantly?

A kid is real, this is not. In addition, the Skyscales already exhibit signs of dramatically increased aging because reasons.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:Because this is what defines Role Playing Game.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:Seems like you are twisting the facts.

Being confined in a hamsterwheel endlessly instead of playing free and unforced whenever you like feels good? Thats not natural, its forced bad game design. Timeinvestment to earn/progress instead of the good game design of effort to earn/progress. Only for people who are addicted to repetitive forced behaviour. Its unhealthy and unnatural.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

because reasons.

So why should I wait real-life days instead of in-game days?

@Kidel.2057 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

because reasons.

So why should I wait real-life days instead of in-game days?

That’s what I’m curious about I mean it’s already depending on daily reset so it’s not even natural to begin with if you ask me. Would make sense if they got hungry every few rl hours or something, as oppose to daily resets.

I might be mistaken though.

I have a single concern, one I'm sure has already been stated but maybe it needs stating again:

Can the entire Skyscale quest be soloed?

If it can be, then timegates are just a minor annoyance. The same happens with first gen legendary crafting and ascended crafting - lots of grinding, lots of waiting but everyone can eventually get there at their own pace because the steps are always available to be done when one reaches that point. Annoying, tedious, and frustrating? Yeah, it is and I'm not even sure the mount is worth it but that's all it is.

If it can't be, then Anet has made a grave error. Six and a half years has taught me that if a collection requires a meta or an event, you kitten well better do it in the very first week or forget it. The Druid Stone took me six months because I didn't start it when it was new and it took absolutely forever to find enough people interested in doing all the events I needed over the timegated days. I did Griffon a month after everyone else and had some difficulty, I see people begging for groups to do those events now. It's not a good model for any sort of long term quest.

I'm real sure though it's the latter based on the 30 events needed just to unlock the map merchants. In that case... yeah I'd rather have the gold sink and no timegate than worrying if I can grab enough people in a month or two or four to help me out with getting some dropped item from a 30-50 person meta. "Realism" is fine but that's not how this player base works. The early birds will all get their skyscales and anyone who started later is SOL.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

Crafting a sword or cooking a meal takes less than 5 seconds at a crafting station.You can use a device to throw yourself all the way across the continent in 10 seconds.Magic exists.

Stop trying to act like the feeding time-gate is for realism instead of artificial content extending. Tyria is NOT supposed to be like real life. The whole point of a Fantasy RPG setting is to specifically not be like real life, so realism is completely irrelevant here. ANet stopped trying to sync in-game events with real world time after Season 1, they haven't suddenly changed their mind.

Your point is made even more invalid by the fact that you feed it all 14 treats in the other collection in a single day, even after you've fed it 3 times, so it's not like it "can't eat that much at once" as you claim.

If you really want to talk about how RPG's should be, they're supposed to be immersive, so you can feel like you are the character that you have created in the world. Using time-gates to stop your character from progreessing does the exact opposite.

@Aerlen.5326 said:I have a single concern, one I'm sure has already been stated but maybe it needs stating again:

Can the entire Skyscale quest be soloed?

Most of the content I've done so far has been solo-able, the only exceptions being the first medicine quest, since you have to do events with others in the meta, the fight against the 4 djinn in Vabbi so you can unlock the Skyscales of Fire, Earth, Water, and Air, and the events leading up to the fight against the branded Forgotten inside of Augury Rock for the final part of Skyscale of Courage.

Collection #3 didn't have any group-oriented content in it as far as I can remember, but because we don't know anything about Collections 4 or 5, and won't know any details about 4 until at least Sunday, I can't say for certain if that's all :confused:

I see all of you are acting like the real problem is the time gate. When in fact the real problem is that you are upset of not getting the "toy" as fast as you want because you want it sooooo bad.There are time gates all over Tyria, let's remove all of them? After all you all said that time gating is bad design.If ANET remove this time gate, I want the WvW time gate to be removed too, the PvP too, the HoT meta events rewards too, the eaters too, the crafting too and anything else. After all, it is what you want, righ? Remove the time gate, coz it is a bad design, right guys?

@RizelStar.3724 said:Real quick cause now it’s bothering me as I don’t know, maybe I can check but is feeding the skyscale based on daily reset or a full 24 rl hours? I know it says once day, but I interpreted as being based on daily reset.

Only on day 1 of feeding, so I won't know 'till daily reset myself. But I haven't heard anyone who would've moved on to day 2 of feeding last reset, so I'm guessing not.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:I see all of you are acting like the real problem is the time gate. When in fact the real problem is that you are upset of not getting the "toy" as fast as you want because you want it sooooo bad.There are time gates all over Tyria, let's remove all of them? After all you all said that time gating is bad design.If ANET remove this time gate, I want the WvW time gate to be removed too, the PvP too, the HoT meta events rewards too, the eaters too, the crafting too and anything else. After all, it is what you want, righ? Remove the time gate, coz it is a bad design, right guys?

We literally had this exact conversation last night. Seems you're conveniently forgetting every thing I said last night too. Since I said it already, I'll avoid the effort of typing and just quote myself and highlight the important bits.

On the topic of "instant gratification" or "not getting it fast enough":

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:Have you even read like, any of the actual complaints? I feel like myself and others have explained in almost every post replying to stuff like this here that this is NOT, and has NEVER BEEN about instant gratification. It is FAR from instant even without the time-gating. These first two collections have taken me 12 compiled hours so far, and that's only two-fifths of the whole piece. No one was expecting to just instantly get the mount, we were expecting to do collections just like we did with the beetle.

The beetle collections all took 6 hours together for me to complete. The first two of the five for the Skyscale already doubled that. It's not like we're not putting in the effort. I've already put more energy and time into this than any other mount, probably including the griffon. No one wants "instant gratification." We want to be able to put in the effort when we want to, without needing to meet an arbitrary deadline, that if we don't meet, automatically pushes back our progress by 24 hours.

On the topic of time-gating, and why us having issues with it being on the mount but not on other content:

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:Stuff like legendary gear being behind time-gates makes sense, because they're literally the best you can get, being the same as ascended gear, but with the bonus of having on-the-fly stat switching, prevent you from needing to have a whole second gear set just to switch up your playstyle. That's why it's so easy for people with legendary gear to essentially dual-class with elite specs; they can easily change their gear to fit their needs.

Whereas the Skyscale only does a couple things similar to existing mounts. I'm sure once it's fully unlocked and fully trained, it could even outshine the griffon and springer in some aspects. But because the Skyscale is locked behind almost a month of time-gated collections and materials [provided you can't afford to buy the Grow Lamp and Skyscale Food, which bumps it down to at the very least ; a week as far as we know.], when you stack it up against what exists, it seems like a huge loss on time compared to the pay off you'd get.

also,

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:ArenaNet has never made a mount time-gated until now. When it comes to mounts, they've always been consistent with "how they want people to play their game" until now. So the fact that they've not only completely changed how they've done bonus mounts up 'til now, while also not even telling us what to expect, I'd hope you can see why that would make people a bit ticked off.

and,

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:There are already dozens of daily quests, map metas, and other content that people are constantly working on. I personally spent over 2 months solo-farming Flax every day just to craft 200 Empty Kegs my guild's hall needed for Tavern Restoration 2. I'm no stranger to time-gating by a long shot. But when I did that, and when I did ascended crafting, or when I did S3 map farming for ascended backpieces, I went into those knowing exactly what I would be doing, and knowing that I could do it all on my time.

And finally on the topic of why people are taking issue with the SPECIFIC time-gate and none of the other ones in the game like you seem to be assuming:

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:Nobody even knew until yesterday at reset, after everyone had already sunk in 12 or more hours to these collections, that Day 3 would entail an extra 22+ day time-gate inside of the time gated content. The issue here isn't what you think it is. It's not people debating whether or not time-gates are effective or serve a purpose. It's about why this content, despite being comparable in function to the last release, is so drastically different, and needs to be time-gated when there's already so much time and effort going into the collections alone.

Literally NO ONE except you is talking about removing EVERY time-gate in the game. It's been stated time and time again that people are taking issue with this SPECIFIC TIMEGATE and nothing else, but you just seem to ignore all of that so you can paint us out to be giant babies who want immediate satisfaction. So please, stop acting like no one has already explained their grievances and READ.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:I see all of you are acting like the real problem is the time gate. When in fact the real problem is that you are upset of not getting the "toy" as fast as you want because you want it sooooo bad.There are time gates all over Tyria, let's remove all of them? After all you all said that time gating is bad design.If ANET remove this time gate, I want the WvW time gate to be removed too, the PvP too, the HoT meta events rewards too, the eaters too, the crafting too and anything else. After all, it is what you want, righ? Remove the time gate, coz it is a bad design, right guys?

I mean yeah...? If I am skilled enough to complete the "hard content" anet releases in a day why restrict me with timegates? This shouldn't be communism! It's the anets job to make content that takes time for the duration between the patches but making it with dailies and timegates instead of engaging and challenging content is just very lazy. It's the easy way out.

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:

We literally had this exact conversation last night. Seems you're conveniently forgetting every thing I said last night too. Since I said it already, I'll avoid the effort of typing and just quote myself and highlight the important bits.

On the topic of "instant gratification" or "not getting it fast enough":

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:Have you even read like, any of the actual complaints?
I feel like myself and others have explained in almost every post replying to stuff like this here that this is NOT, and has NEVER BEEN about instant gratification. It is FAR from instant even without the time-gating. These first two collections have taken me 12 compiled hours so far, and that's only two-fifths of the whole piece.
No one was expecting to just instantly get the mount, we were expecting to do collections just like we did with the beetle.

The beetle collections all took 6 hours together for me to complete. The first two of the five for the Skyscale already doubled that. It's not like we're not putting in the effort. I've already put more energy and time into this than any other mount, probably including the griffon. No one wants "instant gratification." We want to be able to put in the effort when we want to, without needing to meet an arbitrary deadline, that if we don't meet, automatically pushes back our progress by 24 hours.

On the topic of time-gating, and why us having issues with it being on the mount but
not
on other content:

Stuff like legendary gear being behind time-gates makes sense, because they're literally the best you can get, being the same as ascended gear, but with the bonus of having on-the-fly stat switching, prevent you from needing to have a whole second gear set just to switch up your playstyle.
That's why it's so easy for people with legendary gear to essentially dual-class with elite specs; they can easily change their gear to fit their needs.

Whereas the Skyscale only does a couple things similar to existing mounts. I'm sure once it's fully unlocked and fully trained, it could even outshine the griffon and springer in some aspects. But because the Skyscale is locked behind almost a month of time-gated collections and materials [provided you can't afford to buy the Grow Lamp and Skyscale Food, which bumps it down to at the very least ; a week as far as we know.], when you stack it up against what exists, it seems like a huge loss on time compared to the pay off you'd get.

also,

ArenaNet has never made a mount time-gated until now. When it comes to mounts, they've always been consistent with "how they want people to play their game" until now. So the fact that they've not only completely changed how they've done bonus mounts up 'til now, while also not even telling us what to expect, I'd hope you can see why that would make people a bit ticked off.

and,

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:There are already dozens of daily quests, map metas, and other content that people are constantly working on. I personally spent over 2 months solo-farming Flax every day just to craft 200 Empty Kegs my guild's hall needed for Tavern Restoration 2. I'm no stranger to time-gating by a long shot. But when I did that, and when I did ascended crafting, or when I did S3 map farming for ascended backpieces,
I went into those knowing exactly what I would be doing, and knowing that I could do it all on my time.

And finally on the topic of why people are taking issue with the
SPECIFIC
time-gate and none of the other ones in the game like you seem to be assuming:

Nobody even knew until yesterday at reset, after everyone had already sunk in 12 or more hours to these collections, that Day 3 would entail an extra 22+ day time-gate inside of the time gated content. The issue here isn't what you think it is. It's not people debating whether or not time-gates are effective or serve a purpose. It's about why this content, despite being comparable in function to the last release, is so drastically different, and needs to be time-gated when there's already so much time and effort going into the collections alone.

Literally
NO ONE
except you is talking about removing EVERY time-gate in the game. It's been stated time and time again that people are taking issue with this
SPECIFIC TIMEGATE
and nothing else, but you just seem to ignore all of that so you can paint us out to be giant babies who want immediate satisfaction. So please, stop acting like no one has already explained their grievances and
READ.

You are literally dodging everything.First of all I haven't said anything about instant gratification in my latest post. Second, giving your opinion why Legendary time gating is different than the time gate is just your opinion because for some people the mount is more useful and for them it might not make sense to time gate the legendary but the mount. Third, just because ANET hasn't made a time gated mount until now doesn't mean they don't have to, it doesn't mean that they are obligated to follow a stereotype of mount development - a new development is a new development and you are trying to tell me that if it is not what you are expecting it to be, it should be changed. There are literally hundreds of locked achievements that people didn't know what they would require before unlocking them, still people did them.

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:Literally NO ONE except you is talking about removing EVERY time-gate in the game. It's been stated time and time again that people are taking issue with this SPECIFIC TIMEGATE and nothing else, but you just seem to ignore all of that so you can paint us out to be giant babies who want immediate satisfaction. So please, stop acting like no one has already explained their grievances and READ.

LOL ok, I will just quote the post above mine and wont quote the other 200 posts stating the opposite of what you are saying.

@The Ace.9105 said:

I mean yeah...? If I am skilled enough to complete the "hard content" anet releases in a day why restrict me with timegates? This shouldn't be communism! It's the anets job to make content that takes time for the duration between the patches but making it with dailies and timegates instead of engaging and challenging content is just very lazy. It's the easy way out.

Timegates between collection eventually, but here we have time gate within time gate, timagateception.Only 3 treats per day, charged crystal which are only available once a day. But the worst is in skyscale toy, grow lamp... 60 gold on tp are you kidding me? I take that as an insult and a laugh at my face, the price will continue to increase... you did worst than the nullification sigil! Stupid decisions concerning any aspects of the collection! Sad it promised to be amazing, now hesitating to finish it.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

You are literally dodging everything.First of all I haven't said anything about instant gratification in my latest post. Second, giving your opinion why Legendary time gating is different than the time gate is just your opinion because for some people the mount is more useful and for them it might not make sense to time gate the legendary but the mount. Third, just because ANET hasn't made a time gated mount until now doesn't mean they don't have to, it doesn't mean that they are obligated to follow a stereotype of mount development - a new development is a new development and you are trying to tell me that if it is not what you are expecting it to be, it should be changed. There are literally hundreds of locked achievements that people didn't know what they would require before unlocking them, still people did them.

No my dude, YOU are dodging everything. We've made our points, most of which are valid arguments, and your arguments come down to 'I like something therefore everyone else should." If you're not being a troll trying to tick people off then this is really sad. I don't think you've actually listened to a word anyone has said to you.You like something and that's fine, doesn't mean anyone else will.Also the difference between this and legendary items is NOT AN OPINION. There is an inherent difference in how a top tier prestige item and a regular item should be obtained.