Guild Wars 2 needs to build it's twitch presence...but is it too late?

@Ganathar.4956 said:I am truly tired of all this negativity. There is no reason for Anet not to try to grow the twitch scene. Remember when Lazy Peon gave attention to this game? It was a pretty big deal and you had a decent amount of new players. Even something as small as black lion key giveaways could help grow the scene. It takes no effort to have giveaways like that, so not doing them is a serious waste.

There is a huge difference between reviewing a game, and doing pvp/wvw, and meta events/raiding. Call it negativity all you want, but these are reasons ANet wouldn't care enough about twitch to do anything about it.

@Trise.2865 said:

@"finkle.9513" said:How many comments "its boring" "its not watchable" Its no different to loads of other game, and numbers show that what you say is not true, ESO is in my opinion is boring, loads of generic questing games are boring, yet ESO has 18k Twitch and GW2 has 818.... what you are offering are excuses, we need to have a intelligent conversation about this!

GW2 has 2 million players and ESO has 32,000. People are more curious about games they can't or will never play than games they're already playing.

Where did you get those numbers?

No regular hardcore content releases = game is dead in media . Its simple.Its also not just about twitch. Its almost everywhere. YouTube. Facebook. Twitter. Everywhere.I guess ppl will tell soon its not fun to read about gw2 too.

People like to tell just something like "Gw2 is bad to watch". To justify the game.Like... "It is how it is. Game is fun to play, but not to watch" blah, blah, blah...But its nonsense and a lie. Gw2 can be really fine to watch. Yes. But what do you want to watch there tbh?1 new raid wing per year? xD Or unsupported and kind of dead esport?Or maybe new story once per 3 months? For about 2 hours?There's just nothing to watch. So people don't care.

I like to watch GW2. PvP for example. If some1 play very good then it looks like an art. Really :DBut u know what? I almost dont watch GW2 streams. And reason is simple: there's no new content to watch. No hype. Etc. Etc.

Check whos top1 on twitch? Fortnite. You know why? Because those guys work 24/7. And they push new content so hard.Also... LoL - because Riot Games support their esport as hard as they can. They put alot of money into it.But how about mmorpgs? WoW is first. Why? They support raids so much. World first race, etc etc. Also... Whats so funny - WoW's pvp is so bad tbh. ALOT worse to watch than GW2 PvP. But meantime Blizzard organize (regularly - year by year) their tournaments. Tirelessly. With real money prizes. So people feel like this mode is important. And watch it to learn something, etc, etc. They make hype.

Nothing comes for free. Its all about hard work. While as we can see ArenaNet work casually :/ Some may like it. Some not. Its their policy. And their decision. And they're fine with it i guess.

@"King Latif.6903" said:but he had endorsements and sponsorship which he has to hold up to, to keep growing as a streamer-https://clips.twitch.tv/ScrumptiousEnthusiasticShingleWoofer

So "pay people so others can watch them playing GW2"?

Thanks, but no thanks. I would rather have ArenaNet throwing their money in the trash than paying a streamer to make GW2 more "popular".

@"Xar.6279" said:WoW's pvp is so bad tbh. ALOT worse to watch than GW2 PvP.

This is simply not true. You have to be an idiot to not understand what is going on in WoW. In guild wars 2 on the other hand you need to have actual solid experience to understand why and how someone died. Its not issue of what is old, boring or bad. But what can a new or potentially interested player process visually as information about the game and its mechanics/features. And GW2 with its flashy action oriented combat with mega particle effects and boon/condition oriented combat is a great mystery for uninitiated.

I havent played WoW since the burning crusade, and I still sometimes watch WoW and am able to understand what is going on even if i dont know the name of skills for example. Its simply way to easier to process. "You press button. Button does X damage. Maaaybe it will do some additional effect. The end." Guild wars 2 is nowhere near that.

@kasoki.5180 said:

@"Xar.6279" said:WoW's pvp is so bad tbh. ALOT worse to watch than GW2 PvP.

This is simply not true. You have to be an idiot to not understand what is going on in WoW. In guild wars 2 on the other hand you need to have actual solid experience to understand why and how someone died. Its not issue of what is old, boring or bad. But what can a new or potentially interested player process visually as information about the game and its mechanics/features. And GW2 with its flashy action oriented combat with mega particle effects and boon/condition oriented combat is a great mystery for uninitiated.

I havent played WoW since the burning crusade, and I still sometimes watch WoW and am able to understand what is going on even if i dont know the name of skills for example. Its simply way to easier to process. "You press button. Button does X damage. Maaaybe it will do some additional effect. The end." Guild wars 2 is nowhere near that.

But I understand what's going on in WoW's pvp. Because I played it competitively for many years. I also understand whats happening in GW2.Its not my point.

WoW' is just not designed as esport PvP game. Its more about PvE, which also affects PvP game mode in some way. While it shouldnt.PvP is PvP. And PvE is PvE. Both should be completely separated. While WoW don't provide it. That's one of the reasons why I called WoW's pvp bad.And in my opinion (while i get used to wow's pvp and gw2 pvp) its MUCH more fun to watch GW2 pvp, than WoW.But I know both games. I am also pretty sure if you show WoW's pvp to some1 who didn't play it then this person won't understand what's happening there too. Same as in GW2. You have to play it to understand it. In both games.

Blizzard just hype and support PvP enough. And its main work they put into their PvP game mode. Hype. Not PvP itself (gameplay, balance, etc, etc).Also that's why its less popular than LoL ;)If ArenaNet would support their PvP same as Blizzard does it in WoW. With those money. Prizes. Tournaments. Etc, etc. Then imo it would be much better than in WoW. Because GW2 gameplay is much better.

Edit:

Also. Even Blizzard dont hide that, so...

/watch?v=SLLWpT_nsTE&t=57s

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"finkle.9513" said:How many comments "its boring" "its not watchable" Its no different to loads of other game, and numbers show that what you say is not true, ESO is in my opinion is boring, loads of generic questing games are boring, yet ESO has 18k Twitch and GW2 has 818.... what you are offering are excuses, we need to have a intelligent conversation about this!

GW2 has 2 million players and ESO has 32,000. People are more curious about games they can't or will never play than games they're already playing.

Google. Report amalgams from Kotaku, Polygon, and various other sources. It's the top three search results so I won't waste time repeating the search for you.

@Xar.6279 said:

@Xar.6279 said:WoW's pvp is so bad tbh. ALOT worse to watch than GW2 PvP.

But I understand what's going on in WoW's pvp. Because I played it competitively for many years. I also understand whats happening in GW2.Its not my point.

WoW' is just not designed as esport PvP game. Its more about PvE, which also affects PvP game mode in some way. While it shouldnt.PvP is PvP. And PvE is PvE. Both should be completely separated. While WoW don't provide it. That's one of the reasons why I called WoW's pvp bad.And in my opinion (while i get used to wow's pvp and gw2 pvp) its MUCH more fun to watch GW2 pvp, than WoW.But I know both games. I am also pretty sure if you show WoW's pvp to some1 who didn't play it then this person won't understand what's happening there too. Same as in GW2. You have to play it to understand it. In both games.

Blizzard just hype and support PvP enough. And its main work they put into their PvP game mode. Hype. Not PvP itself (gameplay, balance, etc, etc).Also that's why its less popular than LoL ;)If ArenaNet would support their PvP same as Blizzard does it in WoW. With those money. Prizes. Tournaments. Etc, etc. Then imo it would be much better than in WoW. Because GW2 gameplay is much better.

Edit:

Also. Even Blizzard dont hide that, so...

/watch?v=SLLWpT_nsTE&t=57s

You do know that in the early days gw2 pvp was heavily supported with live backed torments with prizes... Anet screwed up with poor balance patches and it all stopped..

I don't use that twithc.. Also sure that people that come after stream mostly have not big value as const players. They come, try, look another stream, go to another game ..But if someone from players want stream gw2, or make permanent donation to someone who make streams - why not ?

@Trise.2865 said:

Google. Report amalgams from Kotaku, Polygon, and various other sources. It's the top three search results so I won't waste time repeating the search for you.

Odd as the estimates I'm seeing are GW2 2 million, ESO 3 million (for monthly logins), I guess we must be searching for different things.

The sheer scale of the difference between 2 million and 32,000 is surprising as it would indicate two different types of figures, say monthly logins vs peak concurrent users in 24 hour period.

@Pifil.5193 said:

Odd as the estimates I'm seeing are GW2 2 million, ESO 3 million (for monthly logins), I guess we must be searching for different things.

The sheer scale of the difference between 2 million and 32,000 is surprising as it would indicate two different types of figures, say monthly logins vs peak concurrent users in 24 hour period.

Are you searching "active population"?

@Trise.2865 said:

Are you searching "active population"?

Yes I am, I see 32,000 on steamcharts for peak concurrent users at one time, but that's hardly representative as it doesn't take into account PC players who aren't using steam (like me) or console gamers and it's peak users, not monthly logins.

I do see 1.5 to 2 million estimates for monthly logins for GW2, I see similar numbers for ESO.

There are two major reasons GW2 doesn't have viewership on Twitch:

1. ANet doesn't release content often enough.
  2. Content they release is not engaging.
    • 2 hours of story every 3+ months. That's not gonna make streamers stick. They play the story and a bit of the new map and then they are gone until next release.
    • WvW alliances are still far from being finished. It has been close to two years. Excluding Warclaw WvW hasn't been updated since HoT.
    • PvP balance updates are slow and don't change anything.
    • Raids were to release more reguraly in Season 4... 1 raid in every 260 days.
    • New fractals are not challenging. And I don't even talk about CMs. I feel like I'm playing a story dungeon which you cannot fail.

ANet prefers to captitalize on the story content which doesn't have any future instead of focusing on replayable and selfsustaining content: PvP, WvW, Fractals, Raids.

Original Guild Wars still has viewership on Twitch close to 70-100 on average. Are those people playing story? NO. Those people play PvP. Content which is engaging. Do you guys think that in 5-10 years when GW2 will be in maintenance mode people will create alts and replay the story? NO. They will leave in search of new games. Only PvP and WvW players will remain because for them the game is already in maintenance mode and has been for a long time. They won't see the difference.