aNet just messed up.

So it is clear all of the Beta's aNet are releasing are not ready for public testing. 

But this mess up with alliances really blew their chance at breathing new life into WvW.

I know many guild and community leaders who have put a lot of work into preparing for this but yet not one could get through the queue. 

Even if they removed the map cap completely, this would have given them a better chance at collecting data for the beta. 

aNet just lost a golden opportunity to bring a lot of life back into the game mode and left a lot of people with a sour taste in their mouth. 

aNet, take more care when releasing your Beta's because even though you are developing the game - it's us that are spending weeks in Discord and in game, bringing the hype and organising people. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 14

4 hours ago, ConorT.5396 said:

So it is clear all of the Beta's aNet are releasing are not ready for public testing. 

But this mess up with alliances really blew their chance at breathing new life into WvW.

I know many guild and community leaders who have put a lot of work into preparing for this but yet not one could get through the queue. 

Even if they removed the map cap completely, this would have given them a better chance at collecting data for the beta. 

aNet just lost a golden opportunity to bring a lot of life back into the game mode and left a lot of people with a sour taste in their mouth. 

aNet, take more care when releasing your Beta's because even though you are developing the game - it's us that are spending weeks in Discord and in game, bringing the hype and organising people. 

i disagree . its a beta what do you expect. there are variables unexpected which can easily crash the system. they have been working day and night for the last 3 weeks behind the scene.. i am sure they are taking this very seriously in order to please you. it went live and there was some issues, so what? your msg here is not constructive at all to be honest

Edited by Talindra.4958
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Well, I'm a Guild Leader who put a lot of prep into my guild for this. Am I/we unhappy? NO NO NO NO.

OK, so it didn't go as planned, but what does in life? The way me (and my guildies) see it in reflection is:

A)  It got ANet closer to figuring all this out. Every failure is a necessary step in what essentially is a major rework of the system.
B)  We realised we were actually super excited (more than we wanted to admit) for change to happen.

C)  We would have been happy to put up with Beta testing failures for a week, if it meant the new system happened faster!

In any case, we all got to have a laugh together, play on different EoTM maps until the never-ending queue never popped, then we went and got us some lootbags after they reset it.

I wish the ANet staff all the best in figuring it all out, and rest assured, your player base is broadly behind this, so get to it! :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Wow guys! I haven't played the game for almost 2 years now!!

I literally just online to check out this WvW Restructure! You know this thing was in talk since I think, 4 years ago?!

This is really huge man!

Who knows Colin ditching AGS to return to anet 9 months ago end up getting wvw restructure into reality!

evidently it is not long in development, maybe 6 months but the fact that it is out here means they are committed! is great news!

if it goes well, a lot of old players might return!

let's hope for the best

good luck and have fun

(going back to other games)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ConorT.5396 said:

So aNet intended this to be the queuing Beta?

They had no way to stress test their system before allowing so many of their users to spend their Friday night testing the most basic aspects of it?

Are you serious? 🤣

As a dev you can learn a lot from the mistakes.. Just happy they are now and not later on.. 

13 hours ago, ConorT.5396 said:

So aNet intended this to be the queuing Beta?

They had no way to stress test their system before allowing so many of their users to spend their Friday night testing the most basic aspects of it?

Are you serious? 🤣

Obviosly they didnt intened on it and no they have no way of stress testing a system like this when the reality is that even if they got EVERY ANeet employee to play they MIGHT fill 2 maps which isnt a real test

10 hours ago, SexyMofo.8923 said:

3 years of work for this. Lol. 

There hasnt been 3 years of work put into this, there have been 3 years since it was announced, during that time there has been LWS4 and IBS and its common knowledge that raymond(the main person working on WR) has been pulled from this to work on that pve content.

These kind of Betas in general are only done when you logisticaly cant do it inhouse or closed and are most commonly done within video games.

Theres alot of kitten mad people that know nothing about software/game developemnt talking like they have the ultimate solution or how they would of doen a better job, it wasnt a greate start but im glad that there was a catastrophic failure at the start and  not one further into the beta

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, ConorT.5396 said:

At the end of the day, we need to push aNet for better results than this. Because this mistake cost them. If you forum warriors deny to recognize that - we are going to be stuck in Beta for 4 years.

Fortunately, forum warriors don't contribute much of the work in developing new features. The programmers who do are also motivated by real salaries, rather than by the fickle winds of forum rage.

It's going to be fine. One bonus of actually running public betas like this, rather than waiting until EoD goes live in February, is that problems like this one get picked up when they're much less damaging.

Edited by Ben K.6238
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The guilds you know that prepared for this were wasting their time from the start by expecting a completely functioning and flawless system. The intention of this being a test was pretty clear, and not to expect something like this is pretty absurd.

They've got a lot to work on right now with EoD, and this test is still happening in just a few weeks. Real data gives you real results that an internal stress test can't ever accurately reproduce. At the end of the day, get over it or leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ConorT.5396So I'm sure other people have already pointed this out but I'm just going to reiterate it here; its a beta test. They are quite literally running test phases in the game so as to get data and feedback on how it functions in the live environment and they are doing this in stages, as they have explained, so they can adjust each piece of the system appropriately and incrementally.

This was not meant to be "Hey, hi, here is the whole Alliances system. This is its final version." This portion of their testing for the system wasn't even the whole system, it was just a piece. So give feedback, which you did, but don't mistake the intent of what was being done here. It was a beta test. Which means it was not the final product, it is possibly several iterations before final.

Just yikes sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2021 at 1:07 PM, ConorT.5396 said:

At the end of the day, we need to push aNet for better results than this. Because this mistake cost them. If you forum warriors deny to recognize that - we are going to be stuck in Beta for 4 years.

So basically the entirety of this post is based on your fears they just won't care after this?

If it takes 4 years, that would be unfortunate, but even worse than missed deadlines are rushed games. I definitely don't want it to take 4 years, but also don't want them to be a laughingstock by overextending.

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2021 at 10:47 PM, ConorT.5396 said:

They lost nothing. Anyone who expected things be fixed suddenly, just don't understand the software Anet is working with. This will be hard work and will take time. Will be many failures. But can be done. If they don't give up, and focus on ending one sided matchups. It's up to their top management to want it, otherwise a small team may fail to have the major impact that is needed.

Then will be so many players that new servers will be needed. After can come WvW specific cosmetics and specific features to bring in extra profit as well. I'd like a Knight Templar look, but only after WvW is really an eternal battleground, not with current rare activity.

• Confused 1