They butchered another elite specialization

Tom Hsiao.9705

17 hours ago, Aedil.1296 said:

My apologies, it wasn't clear, I will rephrase:

1- we want staff to be updated to incarnate the classic ranged glass cannon please. 

2- the existing e-spec are in desperate need of sustain traits like the other classes have already as we are not all part of the 1% Ele elite club that can survive 1vs5 in wvw (see Cellofrag weaver videos on YouTube) please. 

3- Please Anet if u do not intend to do any of the above, could you at least create a 3rd elite spec that is ranged and has some sustain? (too much I know we don't deserve this right... I'm looking at you other classes). 

Thanks! 

It's a much better argument to want Staff to be a stronger weapon overall than to say that we can no longer play the Mage Fantasy and one that I think all Elementalists agree with. Staff is under-preforming and needs a tune up to be brought into the modern day.

Please don't mention the C word here, that user has been disgraced and his builds are garbage. Anyone can survive 1 v 5 if you're just using healing/tank focused armor.

I also don't know if ANet would ever give us a full long range glass canon with great sustain. Even the most glassy builds right now are not really the most sustain heavy. The best survivability for a range weapon is the fact that is ranged. Some classes  have other mechanics to keep them alive as well (stealth, high mobility) but I wouldn't really call any of the meta ranged builds right now very sustainy. If Elementalist got a long range class, it would probably fall into that same niche of being a pure glass canon with very little sustain and we'll be back to complaining about the frequent deaths. Maybe they'll toss on Stealth or something which would be nice... atleast for PvP.

That is, unless they release a long range spec that has the ability to turn Staff into a fully glass dps weapon while allows allowing the new weapon (LB, Rifle, W/E) to be more focused around something else like control. That way it could be a bit more understandable to give a bit more sustain to the class because its not a pure ranged burst build, but while using Staff you get that potential.

Just rambling here now, idk haha

Edited by fuzzyp.6295
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

That makes no sense. Nothing about that link should give you the impression it's a 'classic ranged mage that kills everything before it touches them'. That's not even a reasonable expectation to have because that would be so unreasonably broken to do that, it wouldn't reasonably think it would exist in the game in the first place. It's a true matter of fact you can't play like this because what you think that link says doesn't.

No, that's the idea you want to impose on Anet's definition and as long as you keep doing that, your whole argument about how Ele SHOULD be will continue to be wrong.

Can you stop following me and quoting from tread to tread please? 

It's obvious we have different opinion, no need to chase people, I will never agree with u and u will never agree with me, move on please. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

@Aedil.1296

I come to the point of view anet dose not understand how to make a true mage class in there games. With out a split between magic dmg an physical dmg in any rpg your doomed to make your mages just a low hp ranged dmg class or low hp melee class.

Anet dose not understand there own game and often they do not seem to be in any forms of communication with other departments so your always going to see classes balanced in very uneven ways.

There a lot of ppl on these forms whom cant seem to understand this about anet. They are not worth even reading there post at this point because your wrong to hold them to an ideal they put out there if anet dose changes or update there game in counter to that one statement to start with in the first places.

Any way Cata feels like a class that just a lot of random ideals globed together it is more apairt that there is no trait effect that dose any thing with the hammer and there no trait that dose any thing with the utility. Even when tempest first came out it had a WH trait and a shout trait and that class was also a mess when it was first put out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Ngl I feel the same way.

Disappointment was immeasurable and day was ruined.

I started with Ele, hit high point in HoT with Tempest, quit quit Ele when they butchered and gutted it, didn't return for piano weaver because I'm not in the USA latency heavily punishes constant attunement switches. 

Now we see the Catalyst, a slow melee build that encourages attunement spamming. No thanks.

I see this as the last expacs in GW2s life cycle, so at this point I don't think I will return to the class again. Kind of sad, it will always be special to me.

• Like 4

This is what I signed up for when I choose elementalist as my main. However after I purchased the game i shortly realized it is nothing Ike this at all!
For the past few years they have been shifting even further Away from this concept which I find it really bizarre.

Anyways for the people who loves to see elementalist in close combat why don’t you play warrior instead? Why butcher mage class for your close combat fantasy? We already got 2 close combat elite spec how is it too much to ask the third elite spec to be range focused? If elite spec is meant to give us another flare to the class then we got 2 close combat elite it’s time to change it up already!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

This is what I signed up for when I choose elementalist as my main. However after I purchased the game i shortly realized it is nothing Ike this at all!
For the past few years they have been shifting even further Away from this concept which I find it really bizarre.

I guess the lesson you should learn here is that a video that demonstrates a few skills on a few mobs shouldn't set your expectations for how the class works. The description from the video is pretty clear this is just a demo of 5 skills. If you conclude you could determine Ele's whole  gameplay style from THIS ONE video, that's just bad judgement on your part.

There is no shift away from the concept ... every Ele spec works as described on the GW2 class page. 

And just to be clear, it's not the people who loves to see elementalist in close combat determining how the class works ... it's Anet. So pack up your scapegoat and stop blaming players for things they don't control. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

Anyways for the people who loves to see elementalist in close combat why don’t you play warrior instead? Why butcher mage class for your close combat fantasy?

I’m actually really happy for players that like to play ele in close combat.  They have a spec that fits their play style and theme, and from what I hear, it’s pretty strong.  I’m glad they have a spec they enjoy.

That said, seems like there’s a significant number of people (me included) who would like to play ele as a ranged caster - the way it’s depicted in the marketing - and have it not feel clunky and weak compared to just about everything else.  I hope that Anet will accommodate us too at some point.

• Like 3

I've recently created a firebrand due to the excessively high demand of HB in all instanced contents.
I was curious.

Maaaan did I miss a lot up until now. All the things they can solo that crush all my other toons...

It actually felt like the true Catalyst... and then some.
How come you can burn things to death while carrying your groups health all at the same time ?

And those humongous fields with short cooldown available from the get go... accompanied with a group pull right next to them. You know, for efficiency.
They even got good utilities in addition, what ?!!

(oh and they can still weapon swap btw)

All that talk about trying not to make Catalysts too OP seems like a bad joke now.

Scratch all the new elite specs, I'm actually more hyped by Firebrand right now. It feels like I'm playing a whole different game !

Edited by Tabootrinket.2631
  • Like 6

On 10/7/2021 at 2:21 AM, TheDarkness.6947 said:

I’m actually really happy for players that like to play ele in close combat.  They have a spec that fits their play style and theme, and from what I hear, it’s pretty strong.  I’m glad they have a spec they enjoy.

That said, seems like there’s a significant number of people (me included) who would like to play ele as a ranged caster - the way it’s depicted in the marketing - and have it not feel clunky and weak compared to just about everything else.  I hope that Anet will accommodate us too at some point.

Because the instances where a full melee ele is viable and fun to use are extremely rare outside PvE and some fringe PvP duel

On 9/28/2021 at 4:11 AM, Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

When someone wants to play a mage character they do not have melee combat in mind!!!!

We got sowrd on last expansion ALREADY give us a range great sword like mesmer not f**king HAMMER!

And yet, if you look, for example at WvW, what does Weaver excel at?

RANGED DPS.

Maybe the new weapon isn't necessarily the core feature and maybe it doesn't limit the espec for that use case.

Also, your opinion might not be the only one. I play frontline support tempest most of the time and enjoy it immensely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

Because the instances where a full melee ele is viable and fun to use are extremely rare outside PvE and some fringe PvP duel

I dunno, I really enjoyed running around as a Sword/Dagger Condi Ele in Open World. Felt virtually untouchable by almost any mob.

Also, aren't the current metas using Sword Weaver? So its meta in Raids/Fractals too?  And Melee Ele is not some fringe PvP build, its meta and used quiet frequently in both PvP and WvW for small scale, duels and bunkering. It doesn't mean its as fantastic as other classes, but since its used in every game mode for Ele, wouldn't that mean its currently the best right? So I wouldn't say extremely rare at all. If anything, its 'extremely rare' to find a viable ranged build that is also fun and not having you in the downstate every 3 seconds.

Maybe the issue here is melee builds are viable but not fun whereas range builds are fun but not viable?

Good thing fun is subjective though! 😁

Edited by fuzzyp.6295
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

I dunno, I really enjoyed running around as a Sword/Dagger Condi Ele in Open World. Felt virtually untouchable by almost any mob.

Also, aren't the current metas using Sword Weaver? So its meta in Raids/Fractals too?  And Melee Ele is not some fringe PvP build, its meta and used quiet frequently in both PvP and WvW for small scale, duels and bunkering. It doesn't mean its as fantastic as other classes, but since its used in every game mode for Ele, wouldn't that mean its currently the best right? So I wouldn't say extremely rare at all. If anything, its 'extremely rare' to find a viable ranged build that is also fun and not having you in the downstate every 3 seconds.

Maybe the issue here is melee builds are viable but not fun whereas range builds are fun but not viable?

Good thing fun is subjective though! 😁

It's because good players just start to troll you by staying at range while keeping pressure, this is one of the main reasons why warrior is not as hot as other professions against for roaming in wvw. When every meta class can literally win by staying range...it becomes tiring and frustrating to play a full melee spec