GW2 coming to handheld

I'm curious about how this is going to work. Apparently the Steam Deck is literally a handheld PC, so even if GW2 isn't on Steam (or you have a non-Steam copy) it could still run it. That's very appealing to me because I'm often away from home for work and visting family with a lot of down-time along the way and it would be nice to be able to play GW2 and my other PC games in that time. I know I could just get a laptop, but all the ones designed to run games are pushing the definition of portable and would be a pain to carry around.

I'm not expecting to be able to play WvW or get amazing FPS or anything, I just want to be able to log in and do a few basic things, festival dailies at most.

I haven't pre-ordered the Steam Deck though because I want to wait and see how it actually works before I make a decision. Hand held gaming is always unpredictable and a lot of hardware which looked good on paper failed for one reason or another (for a long time it seemed like the rule was 'if it's not made by Nintendo it's not going to work'). This one has the advantage that it's basically a weird PC so it's got a massive library of games right from the start, but I want to find out how it works in practice, what's the build quality like, can it actually perform as promised. I'm hoping it will be good, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

• Like 1

Yeah it's literally a PC and will run anything the same way, with or without Steam. That includes every other aspect too such as plugging a keyboard, mouse and headphones into it. Only difference is it's smol. I suggest getting the bigboi one though or at least mid end one.

I enjoyed this guy's video but haven't looked up any other reviews since;

Spoiler

1 hour ago, same ol borr.7825 said:

You can use geoforce now and play mobile, I have done it on my tablet s7+ with Bluetooth kb and mouse. I have a Verizon hotspot, it did give me an error the first time I used it but it let me play without any problems.

Can I use Geforce Now if I don't have an Nvidia graphics card in my PC?

5 minutes ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

how would the keybinds be set for the controller ? 

I assume it will be the same as using a controller or other non-standard inputs on your PC. If the Steam Deck doesn't have built in software to set keybinds (and I'll be surprised if it doesn't) there will be 3rd party software to allow it.

So you'll set your keybinds in GW2 like you do now then use the keybinding software to map keys to the buttons on the Steam Deck. For example saying the A button is 1, B is 2, X is 3 and so on. There are 18-20 buttons (depending on whether you can push down the thumbsticks, but that's pretty standard these days), excluding the ones that likely can't be changed like the volume buttons, 2 thumb sticks, 2 track pads and a touchscreen, and it supports modifiers (like A+X) as well so I think there's enough inputs to play GW2.

12 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Well, GW2 is supposed to come out for Steam in the future, even if they stopped working on it for now. When it does, The Steam Deck will let you play it in the palm of your hands!

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

Steamdeck doesn't need the games to be on steam to run them. But for now I'm voting for overheating anyways, gl.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Why would you want to assume this thing could manage it?

I'd like it to work, because a handheld PC that can run GW2 would be useful for me. But I'm not assuming it will, which is why I'm waiting until it's released and there's some reviews based on actual performance before I decide if I want one.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'd like it to work, because a handheld PC that can run GW2 would be useful for me. But I'm not assuming it will, which is why I'm waiting until it's released and there's some reviews based on actual performance before I decide if I want one.

I can understand the usefulness of mobility, its why I used laptops up until semi-recently, but between the lack of buttons and the performance troubles actual PCs have had over the years leaves me highly skeptical.

Edit: speaking of laptops, I also can't see this thing not having the same problems laptops have.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

From the internet:

GeForce Now requirements
Any Windows PC running Windows 7 (64-bit) or higher, 4GB of RAM, a 2.0GHz dual-core X86 CPU or higher and any GPU that supports DirectX 11.

Thanks. I tried looking it up but most of the results were about the requirements for the device you're streaming to, and the ones that were about the PC you're streaming from were inconsistent, some making no mention of needing an Nvidia card, some claiming it requires hardware built into the GPU and won't work without it. Overall it seems most people who don't have an Nvidia card don't even consider it.

I'll see if I can get it working at some point.

Although the other problem is all I've got to stream it to is my phone, and I deliberately buy smaller phones because I have small hands, so the screen might be a bit too small for GW2. But I'll see what happens.