is GW in the new launcher for ncsoft?

2 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Explain the question better.

I presume they mean that NCSoft has come out with a new launcher system that hosts all the games that they have made or have some sort of stake in. I guess they are wondering if Guild Wars will also be able to be launched from this new NCSoft launcher, instead of the Guild Wars 2 stand alone one.

I do not have a definite answer, as only those using the launcher will have it, but my educated guess would be no.

Most NCSoft games use an NCSoft account. When this started GW1 could be tied to this account as well, but it never got much popular and was never needed nor pushed. GW2 has a different unique login, not tied to your NCSoft account.

By changing this, they will likely hit a wall of legal issues as there is a difference between storing user data in the US and the EU and storing it in the EU. US AND South Korea

• Like 2

19 hours ago, hellsqueen.3045 said:

I presume they mean that NCSoft has come out with a new launcher system that hosts all the games that they have made or have some sort of stake in. I guess they are wondering if Guild Wars will also be able to be launched from this new NCSoft launcher, instead of the Guild Wars 2 stand alone one.

Dident even know this was a thing and I hope we are not forced to use it.

• Like 1

I don't think we will be forced to use it, but if they introduce an account linking thing or something, maybe people who do happen to use the launcher still might be able to. I think Anet would leave it as personal preference.

Maybe it will work similar to how it might work via Steam or something?

On 10/7/2021 at 4:55 AM, hellsqueen.3045 said:

Long ago NCsoft was the publisher of GW2 and this would apply, but they gave that up and only Anet has the right to publish GW2 at the moment AFAIK. So while NCSoft own Anet as a daughter company, they dont really handle GW2 anymore. If they did the gemstore would probably be looking quite different today...

But of course anything can change with a chonky bag of cash.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Long ago NCsoft was the publisher of GW2 and this would apply, but they gave that up and only Anet has the right to publish GW2 at the moment AFAIK. So while NCSoft own Anet as a daughter company, they dont really handle GW2 anymore. If they did the gemstore would probably be looking quite different today...

That was before NCSoft stepped in, downsized the company and the CEO left. It's unclear how much independence Anet currently has but I'd wager not a whole lot.

And lmao you're defending the gemstore, really? GW2 has one of the most parasitic ingame stores in the whole western market, it's terrible. They just don't sell P2W because the audience wouldn't take it, that's all.

Edited by witcher.3197
  • Confused 10

1 hour ago, witcher.3197 said:

That was before NCSoft stepped in, downsized the company and the CEO left. It's unclear how much independence Anet currently has but I'd wager not a whole lot.

And lmao you're defending the gemstore, really? GW2 has one of the most parasitic ingame stores in the whole western market, it's terrible. They just don't sell P2W because the audience wouldn't take it, that's all.

How is it parasitic?
You literally do not have to spend any money on the Gem Store because it is possible to convert Gold to Gems.
Most games wouldn't even give you that kind of option.

I have played a lot of different games and a lot of them have micro-transactions and I can tell you with certainty, Guild Wars is probably the most reasonable simply because they give you an option to still never spend real money if you didn't want to. They just let people who want to choose an easier path do that which helps them keep the game running instead of using subscriptions.

Look at Final Fantasy XIV:

1. You have to buy the game and it's expansions. (Mostly expansions nowadays but still quite a hefty purchase)
  2. You have to pay a monthly subscription/game time amounts.
  3. They have a store that you literally can only spend real money on and it contains about the same variety of items that the GW2 gem store would sell. Heck, they even sell STORY SKIPS, not just level, but story.

If you want to talk parasitic, look elsewhere because I assure you, it isn't Guild Wars 2 that has a parasitic system for money making.

Edited by hellsqueen.3045
Spelling Error Fixes
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, hellsqueen.3045 said:

How is it parasitic?
You literally do not have to spend any money on the Gem Store because it is possible to convert Gold to Gems.
Most games wouldn't even give you that kind of option.

I have played a lot of different games and a lot of them have micro-transactions and I can tell you with certainty, Guild Wars is probably the most reasonable simply because they give you an option to still never spend real money if you didn't want to. They just let people who want to choose an easier path do that which helps them keep the game running instead of using subscriptions.

Look at Final Fantasy XIV:

1. You have to buy the game and it's expansions. (Mostly expansions nowadays but still quite a hefty purchase)
  2. You have to pay a monthly subscription/game time amounts.
  3. They have a store that you literally can only spend real money on and it contains about the same variety of items that the GW2 gem store would sell. Heck, they even sell STORY SKIPS, not just level, but story.

If you want to talk parasitic, look elsewhere because I assure you, it isn't Guild Wars 2 that has a parasitic system for money making.

The problem is that GW2's endgame is purely cosmetic, but bar legendaries almost everything good looking after the game's launch went straight to the gem store. And it only became worse over the years.

Anytime a new streamer comes to play GW2 it goes something like this:

"That's a cool mount where can I get that? Oh.. the store, okay maybe not then"

"What about the weapon? Also the store? okay.. and the armor? Wait that's store too?"

"What about this mount skin? .. are you telling me every mount skin comes from the store?"

No wonder people have a hard time investing into GW2 because the only thing worth investing is your real life money. The store is holding the game hostage and is actively killing engagement in my opinion.

The GW2 store would be fine in a competitive game like MOBAs or some hardcore gear grinding game where your stats matter more than the skins.

It absolutely clashes with GW2's endgame though and Anet is prioritizing the store over content to the point where ingame rewards all feel lacklustre. That's why I call it parasitic.

Before you hit me with the "just convert gold to gems lol" that's a tonedeaf arguement so please don't.

Edited by witcher.3197
  • Like 1
  • Confused 12

6 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

The problem is that GW2's endgame is purely cosmetic, but bar legendaries almost everything good looking after the game's launch went straight to the gem store. And it only became worse over the years.

"What about the weapon? Also the store? okay.. and the armor? Wait that's store too?"

"What about this mount skin? .. are you telling me every mount skin comes from the store?"

No wonder people have a hard time investing into GW2 because the only thing worth investing is your real life money. The store is holding the game hostage and is actively killing engagement in my opinion.

The GW2 store would be fine in a competitive game like MOBAs or some hardcore gear grinding game where your stats matter more than the skins.

It absolutely clashes with GW2's endgame though and Anet is prioritizing the store over content to the point where ingame rewards all feel lacklustre. That's why I call it parasitic.

Before you hit me with the "just convert gold to gems lol" that's a tonedeaf arguement so please don't.

Talk about trying hard to find a problem where there is none.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

NCSoft was the publisher for many years, then for ~2 years ArenaNet became publisher in September 2015 to ~2017/8.  Then, NCSoft became the publisher, again, is retains that position to this very day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2021 at 11:18 PM, witcher.3197 said:

There is plenty of stuff that still releases in game and new player has plenty of old good looking stuff to collect. Not everything they need to start getting right now.

You should know when joining a new game, it is going to take time to get to a stage where you will be able to collect all the cool stuff everyone else is. Streamer or not, you go through the same stages as everyone else, you aren't special because you are a streamer.

The store isn't holding the game hostage, if you have enough time to play the game and get into it, you will be able to make enough gold to eventually start turning that gold into gems if you have no desire to spend money. It isn't a tone deaf argument, back before I had a job and could spend money to treat myself, I converted gold to gems all the time when I wanted something. I would grind for gold to convert, which is exactly what you would do in any other game but I had freedom of choice to grind whatever content I wanted to make money instead of explicitly farming one thing to get one item.

I have no problem spending my money on items I like these days because now that I have a job, I can spend $25 dollars every few weeks to get 2000 gems. To me, the trade off for not having to pay a subscription means I can spend money on things I want and support a game I love. I can afford to do that.

It's not parasitic. You're the only one with the problem.
Some games force you to spend money to get skins, Guild Wars still lets you earn it. And the Gold to Gem ratio isn't that terrible, back when I was converting, they were FAR worse trades most of the time.

Edited by hellsqueen.3045
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, hellsqueen.3045 said:

There is plenty of stuff that still releases in game and new player has plenty of old good looking stuff to collect. Not everything they need to start getting right now.

You should know when joining a new game, it is going to take time to get to a stage where you will be able to collect all the cool stuff everyone else is. Streamer or not, you go through the same stages as everyone else, you aren't special because you are a streamer.

The store isn't holding the game hostage, if you have enough time to play the game and get into it, you will be able to make enough gold to eventually start turning that gold into gems if you have no desire to spend money. It isn't a tone deaf argument, back before I had a job and could spend money to treat myself, I converted gold to gems all the time when I wanted something. I would grind for gold to convert, which is exactly what you would do in any other game but I had freedom of choice to grind whatever content I wanted to make money instead of explicitly farming one thing to get one item.

I have no problem spending my money on items I like these days because now that I have a job, I can spend $25 dollars every few weeks to get 2000 gems. To me, the trade off for not having to pay a subscription means I can spend money on things I want and support a game I love. I can afford to do that.

It's not parasitic. You're the only one with the problem.
Some games force you to spend money to get skins, Guild Wars still lets you earn it. And the Gold to Gem ratio isn't that terrible, back when I was converting, they were FAR worse trades most of the time.

You don't understand the problem, at all, and you never will, because you're part of it.

Your attitude is everything that's wrong with modern gaming.

Nothing has "value" anymore, just a price tag. Why get good at anything when you can just swipe your credit card and get it immediately? Why work for things ingame when it's faster to buy gold? There's a reason goldsellers get banned in games - they compromise the integrity of the ingame reward structure. In GW2, Anet is the biggest goldseller.

MMOs in many ways are about earning things and showing off. The only thing you can show off in GW2 is how much you have in your real life bank account. "You can buy it with ingame gold", so what? The fact that someone doesn't have to play the game and still get stuff faster than those who do completely removes any and all prestige from things because there's no telling who earned it and who swiped a credit card.

It robs many people of the reason to get better at the game, to get invested, and makes them seek out alternatives where their time investment matters.

GW2 has 0 integrity, and nothing has prestige. That is a big problem for the MMO community. When they see the extent the store is holding rewards hostage in GW2, they see a giant red flag and bail ,and you can't convince them to ignore it because they aren't new to what Anet is doing and want none of it.

There is no difference in philosophy between a P2W game and GW2. In both cases your credit card is the ultimate endgame tool, and no regular player can keep up with it.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 8

3 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

...MMOs in many ways are about earning things and showing off...The fact that someone doesn't have to play the game and still get stuff faster than those who do completely removes any and all prestige from things because there's no telling who earned it and who swiped a credit card...

Personally, I don't play GW2 to show off or display my prestige. I play the game for fun. Every once in a blue moon I'll see someone with a unique enough look that I stop for a sec to admire it. Maybe once or twice a year I'll actually tell somebody how much I like their look. Most times I don't even notice other players' shinies, be it armor, weapons, or titles. So if someone is trying to show off or demonstrate their prestige to me, the odds are I won't even notice it. There is one exception. My guildies and I will oohh and aahh over each other's new shinies. Though I don't ever recall any of us asking if the owner ground it out or just swiped a credit card for it. Me, I like the TP just the way it is. That may be a problem in some folks' eyes but it's a none issue to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, witcher.3197 said:

It's fine that you guys don't mind what Anet's doing, doesn't mean it's healthy for the game and excusing it won't help GW2 grow because most people in the genre run away the moment they realize the extent of the gemstore.

You are making massive generalizations about why people play MMOs which may be true in your gaming experience but are very much not true in mine. The very first MMO I ever played was Urban Dead, a zombie apocalypse game. The game screen was a fraction of the size of the text box I am typing this in. There was no gemstore at all, nor any shinies or prestige items. People did not play it to show off their prestige. The players I knew there were playing it for the sense of community. You only had 70 moves a day so your ingame time was very limited. Most of my Urban Dead time was spent on the forum my "guild" set up. I spent hours a day there chatting with the other players, organizing raids against the undead nests, helping new players get orientated, and so forth.

My second MMO was a spin-off from the first. A coder who liked the MMO concept but didn't like the limitations of Urban Dead, like the movement limit, designed his own MMO. I don't remember the name of it now but again, there was no gem store, no shinies, no prestige items. This was a "guild" vs "guild" kind of game and the ingame time was spent with groups raiding each other, while the out of game time was used to socialize and organize raids.

My third MMO was Eldevin. At the time it was technically a dead game in that the company kept it online but stopped adding any new content to it. This game did have a gem store with a few shinies in it but nothing like the variety that GW2 has. I don't remember any of the folks I played with there saying that they were playing to show off or demonstrate their prestige. The folks I knew, like me, were playing because the game is fun.

GW2 is my fourth MMO. Here I do know a number of guildies who enjoy the fashion wars and the variety of shinies the game offers. I have yet to hear one say though that they are playing to show off or demonstrate their prestige. Nor have I ever heard any friend I have in the game say they were leaving because the gem store was "parasitic".

Now I can't argue with your own experiences as I don't know what they are. All I can say is that your generalizations about why people play MMOs or why they leave them do not match my own personal experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

The nameless second MMO in my last post has been tickling at the back of my brain since I put that post up. So I did some poking around on Google. Turns out it was Nexus War. Apparently, it had 3050 players before the game designer had to shut it down. So the odds are that none of those players are on this forum. Just in case there is one out there though, consider this a wave hello, a small blast from the past.  😺