Blog about upcoming strike missions and their CMs

11 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

Boring boring boring! At least raid instances have more to them than run in kill a target golem, done. We have lore and story in raids and Glenna and her sidekicks, there are side lines in raids , achievements, not to mention a while legendary armor set and a plethora of ascended weapons gear pets ect. Strikes will be no dif than now, just some numbers turned up boring. Oh and raids have some of the best and interesting  mechanics in this game. Too bad none of those developers are still here. You will never make strikes anywhere near the level of a full raid.

You have no way of knowing whether strikes CM will live up to raid mechanics or not. Maybe hold of on judging till you have played them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

You have no way of knowing whether strikes CM will live up to raid mechanics or not. Maybe hold of on judging till you have played them?

What excuses are we going to come up with this time? Right after W7 release I made a thread saying that CMs are too easy. And what responses did I receive? That it's great that they are so easy, It's gw2 after all right? Every single piece of content is dumbed down so the so called "casuals" are contempt with what they're getting. The only piece of content I would be somewhat excited to be waiting for, not even there on EoD release. I wonder if there is even gonna be any incentive to repeat those strike CMs...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

What excuses are we going to come up with this time? Right after W7 release I made a thread saying that CMs are too easy. And what responses did I receive? That it's great that they are so easy, It's gw2 after all right? Every single piece of content is dumbed down so the so called "casuals" are contempt with what they're getting. The only piece of content I would be somewhat excited to be waiting for, not even there on EoD release. I wonder if there is even gonna be any incentive to repeat those strike CMs...

What do you mean excuses. I'm just pointing out that at this moment it can still go either way, so being disappointed already is pretty silly. 

The fact that they are doing strike cms is atleast evidence that the devs are still thinking about the hardcore community. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

38 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

What do you mean excuses. I'm just pointing out that at this moment it can still go either way, so being disappointed already is pretty silly. 

The fact that they are doing strike cms is atleast evidence that the devs are still thinking about the hardcore community. 

Judging how "good" was the content of the past 2 years I disagree that it is silly to be disappointed. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

Judging how "good" was the content of the past 2 years I disagree that it is silly to be disappointed. 

Its silly to be disappointed because we have no clue how good it is going to be yet. Worried is maybe justified, but even then i would argue that the cms anet have made are of pretty high quality.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 12/6/2021 at 11:40 PM, Tiviana.2650 said:

Boring boring boring! At least raid instances have more to them than run in kill a target golem, done. We have lore and story in raids and Glenna and her sidekicks, there are side lines in raids , achievements, not to mention a while legendary armor set and a plethora of ascended weapons gear pets ect. Strikes will be no dif than now, just some numbers turned up boring. Oh and raids have some of the best and interesting  mechanics in this game. Too bad none of those developers are still here. You will never make strikes anywhere near the level of a full raid.

There pretty clearly IS a possibility for those strike encounters to be on par with raid ones in terms of difficulty and overall quality. Will it happen? We don't know. And that's about it, it really just seems like you're set to "complain just in case". The only thing you're most probably right about "by default" is the thing about not getting some sort of side story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 5:51 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

There's not much evidence for the opposite either. The main barrier is not the lack of understanding of mechanics. It's the problems with executing those.

VG teleports mentioned earlier? Players can "get" that mechanic on its first appearance. Being able to avoid getting teleported however, as it turns out, for many players is not so easy.

Sure, you can try to introduce that mechanic in OW, but it will not work exactly the same (it's not like VG and Cairn teleports work the same way, btw), and, what's more important, the consequences will be different..

That’s sort of not true though because that treats players as if in a vacuum.

When you are exposed to something enough times, you will instinctively react to it. So if you are exposed to VG or Cairns mechanics throughout the game then eventually your instinct is going to be to either walk out of it or to dodge it or stand in it or whatever…When this mechanic shows up in the raid, your brain is ready for this…so it uses less brain power to make that same decision (to instinctively dodge or get out of the circle) and so your brain can focus on other things, thus allowing designers to make boss fights to be more complex.

The idea is that you want players to naturally understand the game that they are playing since they’ve been “training” this whole time. These concepts are rather common in game design and I’m sure you notice it in many other games too. The “tutorial zone” is the place that introduces you to all the mechanics of the game that you will interface with into the endgame…the difference is that the endgame is not just 1 mechanic at a time like in the tutorial zone, but multiple of those mechanics at the same time…or more complex configurations or versions of them (like puzzles that become progressively more difficult to solve.) This is the analog between open world (the tutorial) and raids (the endgame) and well made games usually have a continuous and fluid transition between the two regimes.

Anet doesn’t have a very well defined transition between the “tutorial zone” and the end of the game so their solution was to just create game modes that facilitate that gap, which IMO doesn’t address the problem directly…not complaining for having new modes but in talking about this particular issue creating more game modes does not seem to solve that problem  efficiently at all…the games state is more then enough evidence of that, even if there is no correlation it surely does not rule it out.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3