Celestial Soulbeast in WvW?

mistsim.2748

Celebeast isn’t about being able to burst a target down, it’s about surviving enemy attacks with little to no damage and winning those outnumbered fights.

I play celebeast as a poison master perma weakness build with an eagle, WS keeps me at close to 100% hp against enemies weakened attacks, while my eagles 4-5 second f2 applies 2 x bleeds, 2 x poison and weakness. I win fights by drawing them out and chipping away at the enemies HP while outhealing them.

Edited by Abyssisis.3971
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Choppy.4183 said:

Have you tried replacing OWP with SotP and Sic Em with Dolyak Stance? It might be overkill on the boons, but I half wondered if you aren't able to squeeze a lot of juice in the Sic Em/OWP windows. The build seems like it's more of a longer game (not that long though... I've fought similar builds and can confirm they have killing power).

I don't mean to be rude but if you had actually looked at the build link i posted you'd see i was already running dolyak stance, it's mentioned in most of my replies in this thread.

As for sicem, yea, that slot can really be whatever you want it to. moa stance? sure.
sicem? yup. LR? that can work too if you want an extra bit of mobility. ( 30s cooldown is np tbh ) hecc you can even throw a spike trap in there. Stone signet, what have you. 

And for OWP, i'm not sure. I think if youre not running sicem, using SotP is going to decrease your burst potential substantially. 
I don't think people realize how busted OWP is. besides, sotp really only offers stab for the build, you already have 25 might stacks from wh + merge + heal etc, you dont even get to utilize the extra might from sotp. 

But yea. i would say you can run sotp but then id definitely suggest slotting sicem to make up for the dmg lost from owp.

OWP + WH#4 + smoke assault is gonna hit very hard. 

26 minutes ago, bigo.9037 said:

I don't mean to be rude but if you had actually looked at the build link i posted you'd see i was already running dolyak stance, it's mentioned in most of my replies in this thread.

As for sicem, yea, that slot can really be whatever you want it to. moa stance? sure.
sicem? yup. LR? that can work too if you want an extra bit of mobility. ( 30s cooldown is np tbh ) hecc you can even throw a spike trap in there. Stone signet, what have you. 

And for OWP, i'm not sure. I think if youre not running sicem, using SotP is going to decrease your burst potential substantially. 
I don't think people realize how busted OWP is. besides, sotp really only offers stab for the build, you already have 25 might stacks from wh + merge + heal etc, you dont even get to utilize the extra might from sotp. 

But yea. i would say you can run sotp but then id definitely suggest slotting sicem to make up for the dmg lost from owp.

OWP + WH#4 + smoke assault is gonna hit very hard. 

Sorry, I meant Moa stance rather than Dolyak Stance. My builds and playstyle are normally much more damage oriented,  so these sorts of builds aren't intuitive to me even though I know they can be super effective because I've lost in fights against them. So while I love OWP on my damage build, I'm surprised to hear it works, and may even be necessary, on a build like this.

I experimented with Boonbeast for a minute and tried smoke assault with OWP, but was underwhelmed by the damage because of the numbers I was used to. However, I can imagine how OWP could help in the aggregate and why it would be the optimal choice if SotP doesn't bring much to the party that you don't already have. So maybe it's just a matter of managing my expectations and playstyle. 

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Edited by Choppy.4183

On 11/9/2021 at 4:40 PM, bigo.9037 said:

I don’t think WS would stay alive longer. I just think WS is slightly easier to play for newbies. Newbies being people who don’t know how to avoid going condi nuked lol.

Explain please why WS is stronger then? Dagger is in every way worse than gs except for condi application, while gs has better defenses and more burst potential and actually has CC. 

i don’t see how 3s prot on dodge and poison on hit is gonna be better than easy 25 might on like 100% uptime as well as every other boon you can apply except stab which still has a very long duration. 

may i remind you 25 might is 750 extra power and condi power?

It's celestial, which is why you don't need GS. 

I realize GS is a crutch in practically every 'meta' build, but if you do run NM dagger gives you perma quickness, and with quickness trait it also extends your boons to absurd amounts.  Run vulture stance and you still have perma 25 stacks of might, with or without axe.  

Anyway, I personally find WS stronger because of the built in condi removal on survival skills so you don't have to take cleansing sigils.  For celestial it is also handy to have the trait that increases condi damage instead of poison on hit, because you can get poison from practically anywhere on ranger.  

Essentially, I wouldn't pin celestial to 'boonbeast'.  I think there are better stat sets for that then cele; for me cele is more of a hybrid, so again, I like WS more for the condi (removal and damage increase) than NM.    

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 2:10 AM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

It's celestial, which is why you don't need GS. 

I realize GS is a crutch in practically every 'meta' build, but if you do run NM dagger gives you perma quickness, and with quickness trait it also extends your boons to absurd amounts.  Run vulture stance and you still have perma 25 stacks of might, with or without axe.  

Anyway, I personally find WS stronger because of the built in condi removal on survival skills so you don't have to take cleansing sigils.  For celestial it is also handy to have the trait that increases condi damage instead of poison on hit, because you can get poison from practically anywhere on ranger.  

Essentially, I wouldn't pin celestial to 'boonbeast'.  I think there are better stat sets for that then cele; for me cele is more of a hybrid, so again, I like WS more for the condi (removal and damage increase) than NM.    

Sure, but getting your cleanses from sigils extracts more value out of them than anything else could. I don't like having to use a specific set of utilites just to cleanse condis. Especially when you consider that even LR at a 24s cooldown, only cleanses 2 condis (well, 3 if you count the immob, but if you're not immob'd then it does nothing ). Same with QZ or throw mud, even sharpening stone. but imo, other than QZ and LR, survival skills aren't great. and since most ppl will be slotting protect me + dolyak stance anyway, you can still run LR without the trait. Sure running troll urgent would then give you 4 cleanses on heal and an immob, which is nice but remember you're trading this for pretty much 100% uptime on 25 might stacks and all the other goodies.

I'm not saying you cant run WS at all, play whatever you think is fun. I'm not someone who plays optimal builds either, but from what i have tried throughout the years, NM is just going to give you better results simply because of boons being as busted as they are. Better results as in more dmg with equal survivability. 

If you absolutely don't want to use GS, yea maybe WS could be better suited as you will have problems when it comes to your sustain, but NM is technically also better at this than WS, with the exception being cleanse. protective ward is a busted passive that should've been removed back when most other passives were being heavily nerfed. 

Also another point: unfortunately, condition dmg on ranger is just .. bad. It's pretty terrible. I've seen builds that can deal very good poison dmg, and I've personally  tested condi builds on ranger / druid / soulbeast multiple times throughout the years and every time come to same conclusion: condi weapons and skills on ranger don't have good and easy application of dmg the same way power weapons do, and even if weapons have OK application of condi, they usually are extremely lacking in defensive options.

Power builds have WH , LB , GS. lb has very high dmg, best range in the entire game, utility with CC and aoe cleave, + hunters shot, the one skill that makes longbow so good. GS has basically 3 defensive skills at this point , in addition to CC and burst dmg.
there's the block, then there's counter attack which is an evade, and then there's the leap which is ALSO an evade + leap finisher. 

No condi weapons for ranger have abilities that are comparable when it comes to these 3 weapons. WH is pretty much necessary if you're gonna run axe, as you need a way to reliably blast stealth. ( which is why i used axe-wh in my build) 
shortbow has extremely lackluster dmg compared to lb, and it has way less range, and less utility on top of that with a longer CD on the daze than longbow has on PBS. 

MH dagger has a leap finisher, but it deals lackluster condi dmg  ( power is fine ) but also requires you to be in melee distance, with no way of actually defending yourself while in melee distance, unlike GS.  dagger is a weapon that can only work on enemies who will let you free cast on them, or using it right out of stealth for some quick hits before you swap to your other set. (dagger OH is not good either )

what else? sword? sword is just bad. bad dmg, no real utility. only works if you wanna play super passive and let your pet do all the dmg for you ( shame on those players ). 

So yea, my solution is to just use GS because GS is busted asf, and with the 25 might stacks which you will have easily, your GS is actually going to hit very hard. 

It's a boonbeast build obviously, but considering the insane amount of stats that celestial has, you may as well run celestial over commanders. you'll be able to utilize the axe MH very well. having 900 range wont matter much if you're gonna be able to facetank a lot with perma prot and insane stab uptime, and enemies still have to be very careful since a OWP + WH#4 + smoke assault combo can kill them quickly, not even to mention all the dmg you'll get from GS. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, bigo.9037 said:

Sure, but getting your cleanses from sigils extracts more value out of them than anything else could. I don't like having to use a specific set of utilites just to cleanse condis. Especially when you consider that even LR at a 24s cooldown, only cleanses 2 condis (well, 3 if you count the immob, but if you're not immob'd then it does nothing ). Same with QZ or throw mud, even sharpening stone. but imo, other than QZ and LR, survival skills aren't great. and since most ppl will be slotting protect me + dolyak stance anyway, you can still run LR without the trait. Sure running troll urgent would then give you 4 cleanses on heal and an immob, which is nice but remember you're trading this for pretty much 100% uptime on 25 might stacks and all the other goodies.

I'm not saying you cant run WS at all, play whatever you think is fun. I'm not someone who plays optimal builds either, but from what i have tried throughout the years, NM is just going to give you better results simply because of boons being as busted as they are. Better results as in more dmg with equal survivability. 

If you absolutely don't want to use GS, yea maybe WS could be better suited as you will have problems when it comes to your sustain, but NM is technically also better at this than WS, with the exception being cleanse. protective ward is a busted passive that should've been removed back when most other passives were being heavily nerfed. 

Also another point: unfortunately, condition dmg on ranger is just .. bad. It's pretty terrible. I've seen builds that can deal very good poison dmg, and I've personally  tested condi builds on ranger / druid / soulbeast multiple times throughout the years and every time come to same conclusion: condi weapons and skills on ranger don't have good and easy application of dmg the same way power weapons do, and even if weapons have OK application of condi, they usually are extremely lacking in defensive options.

Power builds have WH , LB , GS. lb has very high dmg, best range in the entire game, utility with CC and aoe cleave, + hunters shot, the one skill that makes longbow so good. GS has basically 3 defensive skills at this point , in addition to CC and burst dmg.
there's the block, then there's counter attack which is an evade, and then there's the leap which is ALSO an evade + leap finisher. 

No condi weapons for ranger have abilities that are comparable when it comes to these 3 weapons. WH is pretty much necessary if you're gonna run axe, as you need a way to reliably blast stealth. ( which is why i used axe-wh in my build) 
shortbow has extremely lackluster dmg compared to lb, and it has way less range, and less utility on top of that with a longer CD on the daze than longbow has on PBS. 

MH dagger has a leap finisher, but it deals lackluster condi dmg  ( power is fine ) but also requires you to be in melee distance, with no way of actually defending yourself while in melee distance, unlike GS.  dagger is a weapon that can only work on enemies who will let you free cast on them, or using it right out of stealth for some quick hits before you swap to your other set. (dagger OH is not good either )

what else? sword? sword is just bad. bad dmg, no real utility. only works if you wanna play super passive and let your pet do all the dmg for you ( shame on those players ). 

So yea, my solution is to just use GS because GS is busted asf, and with the 25 might stacks which you will have easily, your GS is actually going to hit very hard. 

It's a boonbeast build obviously, but considering the insane amount of stats that celestial has, you may as well run celestial over commanders. you'll be able to utilize the axe MH very well. having 900 range wont matter much if you're gonna be able to facetank a lot with perma prot and insane stab uptime, and enemies still have to be very careful since a OWP + WH#4 + smoke assault combo can kill them quickly, not even to mention all the dmg you'll get from GS. 

This is where I guess we agree to disagree on a lot of points; anyway for a few:

- You don't need the shout heal on NM builds to keep 25 might if you are running axe (and presumably smokescale), as that has a ton of might generation built in.  An alternative is bear stance as it heals for slightly less but has all the condi cleanse built in, and I find the extra time on the boon copy is often overkill

- Sustain on Soulbeast for me wholly comes down to protection uptime and dolyak stance; WS provides plenty of prot uptime with dodging and if you are that worried about condis can always run second skin and even OH axe for resistance uptime.  Weapon skills like GS block and swoop to stealth are great for running, but I don't find they turn fights practically ever

- Condi builds for me are far worse to deal with than power, as 'busted' for me is trailblazer, and all that poison damage and application makes it super hard to heal and cleanse.  

For general condi builds and survivability, outside of trailblazer giving 3k+ toughness--on Druid you have pretty much infinite survivability with staff unless super outnumbered as you are going to need chain-cc to keep you down, and soulbeast you have dolyak stance and a whole lot of other things to help you run if in melee range.  

Since the topic is about cele slb though, I feel it wrong to leave out condition damage in the build no matter how 'lackluster' the condi weapons may seem.  I mean if built right it's still pretty easy to get 2k power, 1k+ condi, 3k+ toughness all base with the cele build.  So no real reason to run straight power when you can still do decent condi damage as an auxiliary.  

Maybe it's just a fundamental difference of playstyle though.  For me, I'm not really concerned with having a ton of kiting options unless purposefully going into outnumbered fights or running a role where I have to troll (point stalling, keep stalling, etc.).  In general, I find most players just get downed to really anything, and if I wanted never to die I'd just run a good deadeye build or something.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267

9 hours ago, bigo.9037 said:

Condi rangers issue was and is, and will forever remain.
1 the durations are absurdly long, in pvp average poison stack lasts ~2,5s. In wvw with better cleansing probably even less, so having your bleed last 15s for example just shows a big number on the bar, but in reality fails to deliver even 25% of its damage
2 bad cover conditions, you have cripple, MAYBE vulnerability and that is about it, you just keep re-applying bleed/poison which is very easy to cleanse.
any signet proc will cleanse 100% of your damage, necro spectrals walk is more or less 10s of invulnerability against condi ranger.
If they want condi ranger to be viable they need to reduce durations and increase stacks, otherwise its just skills that deal 5-10k on paper and 1k in reality.

• Like 2

It seems like your trying to make use of the condition damage provided by celestial. Honestly not worth the 2 utility slots.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAweFlZw4YPsOGKeSX7P9SEZQA-z1IY1oj/QCTBkpIoXpgHPAh0bJiVL-w

That's my celestial roaming build. It focuses on maintaining quickness and just out lasting your opponent. Also catch them in Prelide Lash to Whirling Defence for good burst.

Swap greatsword for bow if needed.

Any utility save Dolyak stance can be swapped depending on the situation, Survival and Commands generally provide more.

Remove energy on GS/Longbow for bloodlust sigil if you need more power.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you also have 3 leaps to back away from enemies and reengage as needed. Very crucial in roaming.

Edited by Draeyon.4392

On 11/12/2021 at 1:17 PM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

This is where I guess we agree to disagree on a lot of points; anyway for a few:

- You don't need the shout heal on NM builds to keep 25 might if you are running axe (and presumably smokescale), as that has a ton of might generation built in.  An alternative is bear stance as it heals for slightly less but has all the condi cleanse built in, and I find the extra time on the boon copy is often overkill

- Sustain on Soulbeast for me wholly comes down to protection uptime and dolyak stance; WS provides plenty of prot uptime with dodging and if you are that worried about condis can always run second skin and even OH axe for resistance uptime.  Weapon skills like GS block and swoop to stealth are great for running, but I don't find they turn fights practically ever

- Condi builds for me are far worse to deal with than power, as 'busted' for me is trailblazer, and all that poison damage and application makes it super hard to heal and cleanse.  

For general condi builds and survivability, outside of trailblazer giving 3k+ toughness--on Druid you have pretty much infinite survivability with staff unless super outnumbered as you are going to need chain-cc to keep you down, and soulbeast you have dolyak stance and a whole lot of other things to help you run if in melee range.  

Since the topic is about cele slb though, I feel it wrong to leave out condition damage in the build no matter how 'lackluster' the condi weapons may seem.  I mean if built right it's still pretty easy to get 2k power, 1k+ condi, 3k+ toughness all base with the cele build.  So no real reason to run straight power when you can still do decent condi damage as an auxiliary.  

Maybe it's just a fundamental difference of playstyle though.  For me, I'm not really concerned with having a ton of kiting options unless purposefully going into outnumbered fights or running a role where I have to troll (point stalling, keep stalling, etc.).  In general, I find most players just get downed to really anything, and if I wanted never to die I'd just run a good deadeye build or something.  

Okay idk what kinda MU you’re on, and what level of skilled opponents you’re fighting, but my swoop can easily crit 3-6k depending on the targets armor. Swoop will ignore the run part of animation if target is close enough which makes it a 3/4 I frame that hits pretty hard. 

unless you’re fighting straight up Bots, you pretty much need stealth on ranger if you want to fight outnumbered against enemies with more than 2 brain cells.  Gs isn’t for running, it’s for melee fighting. 

also again , Nm has better prot up time than WS does. And ws isn’t able to maintain the 25 stacks.. 

• Confused 1

On 11/13/2021 at 8:11 AM, Leonidrex.5649 said:

Condi rangers issue was and is, and will forever remain.
1 the durations are absurdly long, in pvp average poison stack lasts ~2,5s. In wvw with better cleansing probably even less, so having your bleed last 15s for example just shows a big number on the bar, but in reality fails to deliver even 25% of its damage
2 bad cover conditions, you have cripple, MAYBE vulnerability and that is about it, you just keep re-applying bleed/poison which is very easy to cleanse.
any signet proc will cleanse 100% of your damage, necro spectrals walk is more or less 10s of invulnerability against condi ranger.
If they want condi ranger to be viable they need to reduce durations and increase stacks, otherwise its just skills that deal 5-10k on paper and 1k in reality.

Been saying this for years. The durations are stupidly long which results in no damage actually being done. Instead of 1 stack for 10s, it would be much better being 5 stacks for 2s. I mean, you can't cleanse power damage after you've had it applied but you can dodge both types. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

Been saying this for years. The durations are stupidly long which results in no damage actually being done. Instead of 1 stack for 10s, it would be much better being 5 stacks for 2s. I mean, you can't cleanse power damage after you've had it applied but you can dodge both types. 

usually classes that rely on specific conditions either have ways to cover them ( mesmer )
or stack them to the point where each sec the hurt big time ( weaver/burn guard )
condi ranger has neither, and while 5 stack for 2s is just taking things too far.
IMO
Winters bite. 3x bleed for 12s ( 36ticks total ) to 4x bleed for 9s ( 36ticks total, same total damage, comes out faster )
Split blade should apply 2 stacks each for 6s ( same damage, but much faster damage, might make the skill worth using more )
Crippling shot instead of having 1 stack for 15s should have 2 stacks for 7,5s.
Honestly with bleed sigil and a trait this skill can bleed for almost 20s which is just silly and will never even do 20% of its intended damage.
Same thing with dagger 4, instead off 5 poison for 8s, it could be 6 poison for 7s.
Small changes could make it worthwhile

22 hours ago, bigo.9037 said:

Okay idk what kinda MU you’re on, and what level of skilled opponents you’re fighting, but my swoop can easily crit 3-6k depending on the targets armor. Swoop will ignore the run part of animation if target is close enough which makes it a 3/4 I frame that hits pretty hard. 

unless you’re fighting straight up Bots, you pretty much need stealth on ranger if you want to fight outnumbered against enemies with more than 2 brain cells.  Gs isn’t for running, it’s for melee fighting. 

also again , Nm has better prot up time than WS does. And ws isn’t able to maintain the 25 stacks.. 

Stealth is still a crutch to me.  If they ever do add more sources of revealed or if you are against opponents that know how to keep you revealed, you end up relying on protection and dolyak stance anyway.  

But it stands to reason if you are beating more than two enemies by yourself then they are objectively worse than you anyway.  That has very little to do with build...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 10:16 PM, bigo.9037 said:

I agree with the poison, thats true. but otherwise no. I think you've reached a point of diminishing returns on celestial soulbeast when it comes to that. NM can easily provide you with a permanent 25 stacks of might, 100% fury uptime, more quickness, weakness, and if you run Dura runes, WHAO, + merge, you have much much more stab + quickness uptime on top of that. 

KEEP IN MIND.. 25 might stacks improves your condition damage also. 25 might stacks nearly doubles your condi stats. 

Also, what stunbreak are you running on cele soulbeast that needs the CD reduction? you already slot yakstance and probably protect me which is most cases the 2nd best in slot ( LR is too situational and will proc shock aura ), are you seriously telling me you wanna run 3 stunbreaks including the stab from yakstance? youre better off with sicem for extra dmg so you can kill thieves, rangers, engis, mesmers more easily, or a trap, moa stance. You really, really don't need 3 stunbreaks if you already have yakstance slotted. 

check out this build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEE6MsMDWI7hByMxU7a/VOi0A-zVRYVRMPYUAHSnSgeVBdLE04A-w

with 25 might stacks ( which you will have nearly all the time )
you get 12 % dmg from NM trait cus youre always gonna have 6 boons on you, ( might, swift, fury, protection, resolution, regen ) 
2500 power, 3000 armor , 1300 condi dmg. SO much stab uptime youll be able to play very very aggressively, perma prot. 
ANNDDD on top of all that, insane amounts of weakness spam from warhorn + NM traits which will STEAL ENEMY BOONS on interrupt cus warhorn #5 now dazes. power builds will do absolutely nothing to you, and you have enough passive CDR to ignore pretty much all condi dmg  and you have cleanses on every weapon swap anyway. Again, you dont need WS cleanses because you have yakstance to stay in their face so you can always move quickly,  and with blocks + evades + stealth you will barely even get hit in the first place. 

I would happily challenge everyone in this thread to 1v1 on their celestial build vs this setup , youre going to get completely obliterated, but i dont play this level of kittenous sustain and have no intention of playing celestial. but if you want to, THIS build is the most optimal setup and it isn't even close. 

WHY would you bother playing celestial NOW after the boon buff, and not utilize the boons when soulbeast has some of the most busted boon uptime with NM? 

Heck you could even swap the dura runes for mad king and just destroy anything within radius by popping OWP since OWP procs mad king runes and you have so much dmg. 

OWP + smoke assault + warhorn #4  = people die. Your maul from gs is gonna hit very hard on squishies. WI is gonna hit hard. Axe #3 is gonna hit hard and chill + weakness. 

But i have to say, if you run this type of build, i have 0 respect for you. this is a perfect example of build wars 2. carries wayy too hard. 

You're wasting condition and expertise in a pure power build

• Like 1