Roaming turrets

Sigz.6943

Moveable/Minion Turrets for Engineer.

I'm sure it has been brought up at some point in this game ,but the Engineer's turrets are somewhat fun to play with. One of the only down sides is they don't follow the player. Unless you are fighting a boss you'll be moving around a fair bit through out the maps. IMHO it would be a really good boost to have them hover around as the player moves. As far as appearances go Anet could just use the balloon appearance they have in the water. Now I know turrets are not part of the min/max meta builds as is ,and I don't think this idea would change that. It would be more for Open world/Leveling/Story. As for AFK farming well people already do that so this would not make it worse ,or better. Also the turrets are do for some love considering the current state they are in. Please Anet improve the usability of the turrets.

• Like 1

Why not have the new eng pet some how "carry " the turrets on it or even over all make all of the eng utility some how also trigger on the eng pet in one way or another. (Maybe a bit of a silly ideal but it would be fun to have the ability to have the turrets movable and give the new pet eng a very uniquest effect.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jski.6180 said:

Why not have the new eng pet some how "carry " the turrets on it or even over all make all of the eng utility some how also trigger on the eng pet in one way or another. (Maybe a bit of a silly ideal but it would be fun to have the ability to have the turrets movable and give the new pet eng a very uniquest effect.)

Just seems really unnecessary and would be limited to the Mechanist.

That's exactly how Scrapper used to work with Gyros. Even had a self-detonate button as they "followed" you around except for shredder gyro. 

I'm not against the idea. It's just that Engineer already had that and Anet deemed that it didn't work. On one hand, I'd be surprised if they revisited that idea. But, on the other, we did get Mechanist. 

I think turrets deserve more love than that. Still, I always appreciate reading a turret idea thread. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shaogin.2679 said:

I dunno, I think it would be better just to rework the skills entirely, much like the Guardians Spirit Weapons. Turn the turrets into an ammo skill, and make it so they deploy, perform an action, and then detonate. 

I think this is the best way to fix them. Pets and minions are usually bad in this game. Spirit weapons rework is a great example of how AI could be turned into something viable and playable. I even did my own concept turret rework here:

1 hour ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

I like the idea of a mech/transport pet that picks up turrets, hauls them to a new location, then redeploys them. Similar in function to the old Ritualist skill, Summon Spirits, but technical/mechanical instead of magical.

Or just put wheels/tracks on the turrets. Heck, portal tech.

Seriously, turrets are horrible, and mobility is not the issue. Also, any solution involving the mech and turrets would be inherently bad since it would only buff turrets when playing Mechanist. Crappy turrets that can move are just mobile crappy turrets though.

• Like 2

I miss the good old days when turrets had 1500 range, could be thrown for an additional 900-1200(?) range, had overcharge abilities, could self-repair, and had no despawn time. It wasn't the most survivable setup, but during Orr events it was a great way to tag mobs on the other side for more bags.

Way way back in the older forums, I brought up how Torchlight 2 created one of the most effective mobile engineers that doesn't kitten you for building around the turret, golem, and gyro. I still feel that way today. Lots of people had other ideas too, and we've had a strange evolution of turrets over the years. There was even a time our turrets could cling to the walls or the ceiling. At this point in the game's life though, especially with our gadget skills being very niche, I just accept that turrets are what they are. The game is moving forward with a personalized terminator unit in EoD. It can essentially be configured to be your mobile turret. And at least for the time being, it also packs a punch.

Edited by Nate.8146
  • Like 4

I was thinking about this before, so I'll just throw it out there - what if every turret had a nominal, e.g. 5s cooldown?  What would break?  You are using cast time to deploy, so it's not an instant that can be abused.

It's not like a turret engineers are lighting the DPS-golem-world on fire, so I don't see the harm in letting engineers constantly move their turrets.

4 hours ago, Nate.8146 said:

I miss the good old days when turrets had 1500 range, could be thrown for an additional 900-1200(?) range, had overcharge abilities, could self-repair, and had no despawn time. It wasn't the most survivable setup, but during Orr events it was a great way to tag mobs on the other side for more bags.

I miss this too.  😢

I'll make you a deal. Engineer gets moving turrets if Experimental Turrets gets nerfed to only apply the boon when you activate the turret (like Nature's Vengeance. Or just revert Nature's Vengeance back to 11th Dec '18.) and Ranger gets moving spirits back.  :classic_biggrin:

But I doubt that will happen since it treads on the toes of Herald.

22 hours ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

I'll make you a deal. Engineer gets moving turrets if Experimental Turrets gets nerfed to only apply the boon when you activate the turret (like Nature's Vengeance. Or just revert Nature's Vengeance back to 11th Dec '18.) and Ranger gets moving spirits back.  :classic_biggrin:

But I doubt that will happen since it treads on the toes of Herald.

No deal. Geez, Rangers coming in here with their meta utilities acting like they can sympathize with our dumpster fire utilities. 😄

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:07 AM, Shaogin.2679 said:

No deal. Geez, Rangers coming in here with their meta utilities acting like they can sympathize with our dumpster fire utilities. 😄

Dunno man, getting to keep the passives of your signets which have already low CDs as well as getting an even lower CD, then getting perma alacrity on top is pretty nice. They get down to a 15s CD.  I'll definitely be using Rectifier, Barrier, Force and Overclock on the regular.

Edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

3 hours ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

Dunno man, getting to keep the passives of your signets which have already low CDs as well as getting an even lower CD, then getting perma alacrity on top is pretty nice. They get down to a 15s CD.  I'll definitely be using Rectifier, Barrier, Force and Overclock on the regular.

You realise he was talking about turrets VS spirits, not signets, right?

Spirits are strong buffs for an entire party of 10 people, hence why they are meta in raids and such.

Turrets on the other hand.... are absolute garbage. Take rifle turret, for example. The only purpose of this turret is single target dps. But how much dps is it? 500 damage every 2 seconds. It adds 250 damage per second flat... not affected by stats, boons, damage buffs, nothing. This is less than 1% damage increase on a meta dps build, it is laughable. Meanwhile frost spirit increases the dps of the entire squad by 5%.

This thread is about turrets, bringing up signets makes no sense.

• Like 2