omg the new hairstyles yes <3

Maybe it's just me but I found them extremely disappointing. Human female hairstyles are so bad. The one with a topknot and manggeon.. it's literally what men wore historically. Why is it a human female hairstyle? Also Asian Hair Streak trope is getting old and I just wish that there at least was a normal version of the long straight one. SMH, it's 2021, you wouldn't think this sort of stuff was an issue, especially in game like GW2. After PoF just expected.. a bit more I suppose.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, moxxi.1902 said:

Maybe it's just me but I found them extremely disappointing. Human female hairstyles are so bad. The one with a topknot and manggeon.. it's literally what men wore historically. Why is it a human female hairstyle? Also Asian Hair Streak trope is getting old and I just wish that there at least was a normal version of the long straight one. SMH, it's 2021, you wouldn't think this sort of stuff was an issue, especially in game like GW2. After PoF just expected.. a bit more I suppose.

If you don't want the different colours on the straight hair style you can either pick an accessory colour which matches or use the existing straight style (bottom left in character creation, one of the first non-exclusive ones if you're using a makeover kit). It's slightly longer and has more of a fringe but it's otherwise the same.

I like having the option to give our characters two-tone hair right from the start. It's something several other races have had for years (if only with kit exclusive styles) but humans just had that style with 1 streak of colour and nothing else. I'd like it on a different style, but it's still nice to have the option.

(And now I'm wondering if I find that style a bit dull because its just straight, or because if it was longer it would be what my hair looks like on a good day.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm personally quite disappointed by them. The long sylvari male hairstyle has such wonderful potential, but I have no idea why the leaves are not dyeable. I'm also personally really disappointed that they didn't include any 'pretty'/androgynous faces for human males, or any long hair styles. We only have the one with any real length and it's in a silly high ponytail. I really love to create androgynous characters and the customization options for that in human males is very limited. 😞

The new asura female hairstyles are very cute though. 

(not sure what's 'confusing' about liking androgynous characters but guess I shouldn't be surprised lol)

Edited by kettering.6823
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

7 hours ago, kettering.6823 said:

I'm personally quite disappointed by them. The long sylvari male hairstyle has such wonderful potential, but I have no idea why the leaves are not dyeable. I'm also personally really disappointed that they didn't include any 'pretty'/androgynous faces for human males, or any long hair styles. We only have the one with any real length and it's in a silly high ponytail. I really love to create androgynous characters and the customization options for that in human males is very limited. 😞

The new asura female hairstyles are very cute though. 

(not sure what's 'confusing' about liking androgynous characters but guess I shouldn't be surprised lol)

Why would they add pretty male faces when they couldn't even add pretty female ones?

7 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Before players start complaining about them:

THEY'RE CORE HAIRSTYLES. AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE. NO MAKEOVER KIT REQUIRED.

So what?  They're trash and deserved to get called out as trash.  Hell, with how bad the Asian human female faces are compared to the rest of the human female faces, folks could be forgiven for thinking a wee hint of racism might be involved here. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

13 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

I am impatiently waiting for tonight when I can get in-game and see these glorious new hairstyles and faces for myself. 😍 So far, from the screenshots I've seen, they look awesome.

...welp, that aged as fine as milk. 😕

I do like the sylvari hairstyles. I just wish they weren't the same color as the skin, because that greatly limits options and...kind of looks terrible, actually. And the textures look horribly unfinished - rather like clay, not leaves. The human hairstyles--well, the guys look decent (the short fluffy one is my favorite). The ladies...ehhhhh, the texture looks like plastic. Can't speak for norn as I didn't really look at those too much. Charr get the short end of the stick again (the shortest female hairstyle looks good, except for the plastic texture)... The asura hairstyles look decent. Except for the plastic texture. And the silly accessories like the dragon circlet for the clay-noodles of that one male hairstyle.

As for the faces?

The charr faces look like they got dropped on their face as a baby - repeatedly. The asura faces are great, especially the male (love the one with the scarred eye). The sylvari faces look fantastic as per usual...but one of the male faces doesn't glow at all, and the other two only minimally. Faces for both male and female sylvari faces look, again, like clay, without the subtle leaf/vine/bark textures and patterns the others have. The human faces--uh. Well. The guys look decent, again. The girls...I've already added my thoughts about that in another thread. Again, can't speak for norn because I glanced at them and didn't have much interest.

So much for all my excitement.

/thus ends Batel's lecture

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Why would they add pretty male faces when they couldn't even add pretty female ones?

So what?  They're trash and deserved to get called out as trash.  Hell, with how bad the Asian human female faces are compared to the rest of the human female faces, folks could be forgiven for thinking a wee hint of racism might be involved here. 

Because the devs have literally never done anything like that before in the history of the game. All past cosmetic upgrades for characters were premium only, and if you didn't want to spend Gems you had to complete maps for BLKs and save up Statuettes.

And trash is relative, the overall response has been positive, save for a few obvious bugs.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Because the devs have literally never done anything like that before in the history of the game. All past cosmetic upgrades for characters were premium only, and if you didn't want to spend Gems you had to complete maps for BLKs and save up Statuettes.

No, they added free character creation options for humans (and humans only) with Path of Fire. They were gorgeous, by the way - all the faces and hairstyles were beautifully unique. Other races haven't gotten new faces/hairstyles in years, in character creation or otherwise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

And trash is relative, the overall response has been positive, save for a few obvious bugs.

The hell it has been "over all positive".

2 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

No, they added free character creation options for humans (and humans only) with Path of Fire. They were gorgeous, by the way - all the faces and hairstyles were beautifully unique. Other races haven't gotten new faces/hairstyles in years, in character creation or otherwise.

^This.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

The hairstyles, in a word, is erratic. There is no cohesion, it's just this jumble bit of pixels. I try not to complain too much, but this kind of made me go "meh". Then again, they are free, so I shouldn't complain too much.  That being said, I suspect that they will fix the problems a little later on, since the main focus right now is probably getting the classes squared away. Just my 2 moo-moo-poo. 

2 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

Not completely true (the human only part). Charr actually did get new stuff post PoF. Since it didn‘t come with an expansion, but with a LW update it is often forgotten.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2018-03-06

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Physical_appearance

March 6, 2018 game update introduced additional free default hairstyle, female face option and several horn options for charr.

Six new, exclusive eye colors, one new female charr face, one new charr hairstyle, several new charr horns from "Living World Season 4 Episode 2: A Bug in the System," and other charr horn options have been added

As for the new hair: I hope some of them get a texture update. They currently seem low quality (and for some reason one of the female human ones changes color with accessoire colour instead of hair colour)

Edited by Raknar.4735
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Raknar.4735 said:

As for the new hair: I hope some of them get a texture update. They currently seem low quality (and for some reason one of the female human ones changes color with accessoire colour instead of hair colour)

I'm hoping that's intentional, because it's a way of having artificial hair colours without using a gem store kit. If you want your character to have green hair, or purple or whatever you've got the option right away, without having to spend gems for it. 

Although it doesn't show in the preview window, so I'm not sure how many people will notice beyond this initial period when they're new and lots of people are trying them out. If I wasn't looking for that style for my character I might not preview it and would never notice the colour change.

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'm hoping that's intentional, because it's a way of having artificial hair colours without using a gem store kit. If you want your character to have green hair, or purple or whatever you've got the option right away, without having to spend gems for it. 

Although it doesn't show in the preview window, so I'm not sure how many people will notice beyond this initial period when they're new and lots of people are trying them out. If I wasn't looking for that style for my character I might not preview it and would never notice the colour change.

I think you‘ve misunderstood me. I‘m not talking about gear changing the colour, but the accessory colours in a makeup kit. (Unless i‘m completely wrong here and gear does actually change it, haven‘t tried yet)

So you‘ll have to use a makeup kit either way to change hair color, you just have less colour options with one specific hairstyle.

Context:

I‘m talking about the 2nd hairstyle from here:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Human_female_hair_styles_3.jpg

The 3rd one uses the hair colour as main color, and then accessory colour for highlights.

The 2nd one just uses accessory colour as main hair colour.

Link to customization options (hair colour and accessory colour distinction)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Physical_appearance/Human

Edit: someone made a reddit post about the thing i mean

Edited by Raknar.4735
Add reddit link