Winter wonderland? Suggestion?

Vivian.2398

Hey guys,

Do you have the same issue as me when you are doing the winter wonderland jumping, when for example a char / norn is jumping at the same time as you, that your character is barely visible?

Causing you to make jumping fails because of this?

My suggestion : shrink them to a human size form only in the jp area, so we can can see where we need to jump and have less fail jumps?

Do people agree or not agree with this?

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Do you have the same issue as me when you are doing the winter wonderland jumping, when for example a char / norn is jumping at the same time as you, that your character is barely visible?

Causing you to make jumping fails because of this?

That is a valid complaint with most JP's in the game.   It was such an issue for the clock tower (Halloween event JP) that a few years ago, Anet turned all other playersin your instance, into floating mist balls.   Maybe that would be a solution for this ne as well.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Vivian.2398 said:

Do people agree or not agree with this?

I've made several suggestions on behalf of this issue over the years, but all have been ignored to date.

Examples:

• Shrink everyone to a standard size
  • Make all other players invisible (like in the Clocktower JP), though this would take away from the fun
  • The most drastic idea: barr Norn and Charr characters from participating in this JP

I am not usually the gloating type, but whenever a player with a gigantic, fat Charr or Norn, dressed in a floating trenchcoat nonetheless, falls to their demise in front of me, I have to admit that I experience a feeling of deep satisfaction.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

When you get more experienced at jumping puzzles you’ll be able to do them without needing to see your character. This is because your character is at a fixed position on your screen and you can use that position as a reference. 

Yes, I can confirm that. It's called muscle memory.

I still laugh internally, though, whenever the aforementioned happens. 😈

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It doesn't bother me because I know my character is always in the middle of the screen, whether I can see them or not. I don't tend to look at them, I'm focused on the point they're going to and as soon as I know they're going to make that jump I'm looking at the next one.

But it also wouldn't bother me if everyone was changed like in the Halloween puzzle. I'd suggest Anet do it in a way where everyone still gets to see their own character because changing them can throw some people off, especially if it changes their height.

• Like 2

Also, some players wear the absolutely largest snowflake-blocking armor or outfit they can.

When a player uses a large character and adds trinkets and a huge outfit or armor, it's extremely difficult to see even the next jump, let alone your own character.

Edited by Little Leota.5849
clarity
  • Confused 1

On 12/24/2021 at 12:36 AM, MikeG.6389 said:

I would add to the list of reasons the legendary trinket effects. A character doesn't have to be either Charr or Norn to be annoying, the floaty balls are just as aggravating.

Oh yeah. Last time I asked someone to turn them off while doing a close quarter jumping puzzle, they said I was being anti-social and that I could simply lower my graphics settings. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Oh yeah. Last time I asked someone to turn them off while doing a close quarter jumping puzzled, they said I was being anti-social and that I could simply lower my graphics settings. :classic_rolleyes:

And you were labelled as the antisocial one? Amazing. Some people...

I can't think of anything other than that they do this on purpose, knowing full well how annoying they are to some. All the more reason for ANet to turn everyone into motes like in the Clocktower JP.

Addendum: Infusion effects are turned off automatically when you enter certain instances, like the JP. Skins like Winter's Presence, too. Why can't the legendary effects be handled the same way?

Edited by MikeG.6389
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, MikeG.6389 said:

And you were labelled as the antisocial one? Amazing. Some people...

I can't think of anything other than that they do this on purpose, knowing full well how annoying they are to some. All the more reason for ANet to turn everyone into motes like in the Clocktower JP.

Addendum: Infusion effects are turned off automatically when you enter certain instances, like the JP. Skins like Winter's Presence, too. Why can't the legendary effects be handled the same way?

The infusions are just hidden, because the JP and also other festival instances are PvP-instances and PvP-gear doesn't use infusions.

Winter's Presence is hard to see in the white and snowy environment, but it is shown in the JP. I just tried it and it worked in the JP and other PvP-maps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

The infusions are just hidden, because the JP and also other festival instances are PvP-instances and PvP-gear doesn't use infusions.

Winter's Presence is hard to see in the white and snowy environment, but it is shown in the JP. I just tried it and it worked in the JP and other PvP-maps.

I stand corrected. I don't do PVP, like, at all. ANet could still "strip" certain visual elements from characters. Much like they do on the character select screen: no special skins, no capes, no infusions, no legendary effects. You don't use any skills beyond movement, anyway.

Or, once again, the mote thing, à la Mad King's Clock Tower.

• Confused 1