Perma Stealth Thiefs - What to do?

Virdo.1540

13 hours ago, Yunari.9065 said:

You really have no clue about Thief.

Ive been playing thief for a long time already. You really think i have no clue when talking about things I and many other thiefs use on almost a daily basis? Better take a look at something before you join discussions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Virdo.1540 said:

Ive been playing thief for a long time already. You really think i have no clue when talking about things I and many other thiefs use on almost a daily basis? Better take a look at something before you join discussions.

So you play allooooong time thief but do not know how to deal with them? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Virdo.1540 said:

Exactly. If you cant beat them, join them.

I had issues years ago fighting vs thieves on my warri. I didnt understand a thing of it,how often they could stealth and port. Then i had a few buddies in my guild that taught me their mechanics and eventually I picked up thief myself and learned their mechanics and noticed its a very different playstyle as any other spec,close to mesmer and not as easy to pull off as I thought it was.

From there I could counter them on my warri. And thief became my main class soon after it. People just complain without bothering,if you dont bother you shouldnt complain.

Edited by Caedmon.6798
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Caedmon.6798 said:

I had issues years ago fighting vs thieves on my warri. I didnt understand a thing of it,how often they could stealth and port. Then i had a few buddies in my guild that taught me their mechanics and eventually I picked up thief myself and learned their mechanics and noticed its a very different playstyle as any other spec,close to mesmer and not as easy to pull off as I thought it was.

From there I could counter them on my warri. And thief became my main class soon after it. People just complain without bothering,if you dont bother you shouldnt complain.

If you have like dark-souls reflexes, a thief is unkillable. Even without stealth

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Virdo.1540 said:

If you have like dark-souls reflexes, a thief is unkillable. Even without stealth

🤡

So because someone is good with reflexes, the class must be OP then. Sure without stealth thief goes into God mode.

Edited by Yunari.9065
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Virdo.1540 said:

This answer is almost ridiculous. Such a person would have fast reflexes even on other classes. Why should a class be penalized if the player who plays it is simply good?

I do realize that the thief has a lot of evasion options. But it is incredibly vulnerable against CC and Condis. Even after 9 years I still see players who have the feeling that they want to lay a thief with a zergbuild. Is that the fault of the class or of this player who seems to have no Awarness?

But to deny the thief invisibility AND evasion now too only shows that you don't know anything about balance. Buy some target painters. The thief is the only class in the game who has Hardcounters in form of Buy items. Fight him at places where he is in disadvantage (Watchtower, Flag Guards).

If you can't handle it, PvE might be more your cup of tea.

Edited by Grebcol.5984
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

But to deny the thief invisibility AND evasion now too only shows that you don't know anything about balance. Buy some target painters. The thief is the only class in the game who has Hardcounters in form of Buy items.

There's a confession: Stealth is, in your own words, so overpowered that you NEED to buy items to try to counter it.

... and you're not fooling anybody: those items aren't sufficient because;

• you have a hard limit on number of traps,
  • thrown painters just get evaded,
  • they cost supply and,
  • traps are static.
Edited by Svarty.8019
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

7 hours ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

Buy some target painters. The thief is the only class in the game who has Hardcounters in form of Buy items.

Is no use, I've been told in this subforum that is literally impossible to use items during a fight.

5 hours ago, Svarty.8019 said:

There's a confession: Stealth is, in your own words, so overpowered that you NEED to buy items to try to counter it.

That's not a confession, more like a really simple take from your side. You don't need to buy any items, in fact you rarely see anyone using them. But you CAN do it to disable an extremely recurrent mechanic. Imagine if you had an item that would block or reflect projectiles to counter rangers? Or an item that would negate boons to use against celestial abusers? Or an item that could recurrently blind warriors? Well, none of those exist, but there is an item that can mark foes during 30s for just 10 supply, negating the permastealth. C'mon, marked thieves cannot even complete the three leaps over smoke fields before being revealed.

5 hours ago, Svarty.8019 said:
  • they cost supply and,
  • traps are static.

• You can have as many markers are you want, but or course they have CD or they would be OP.

• 99% of the skills can be evaded lmao, do you want Arenanet to secure the skills for you too?

• 10 supply the throwable version, oh my god, is not like keeps hoard +1000 supplies, not to mention towers and camps. Each marker last 30s, if you can't fight and take a marked thief in that time, the problem is either you or the absurd thief's mobility.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Svarty.8019 said:

• they cost supply and,
  • traps are static.

Unpack a target painter. This trick marks up to 50 enemy players in the area for 30 seconds. Costs 10 supply to deploy. Cannot be avoided.
Deployment Range: 1,200
Effect Radius: 360

They cant be evaded. You can use 2 throwables and even lay down a stealth trap if youre not good enough to fight a thief without using these tools when you have 25 supply. But the main point, The throwable cannot be evaded.

Edited by Caedmon.6798
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Svarty.8019 said:

• they cost supply and,
  • traps are static.

Where did i say it is mandatory? I said it is in the game already but no pub does use it. When u have no skill to trow the target painter it is not the fault of the thief then -> l2p.

For me there are more broken Guard and Nekros builds at the moment in the game. Some of them eats a thief with ease and others counter thief pretty hard (DH, Harbinger, Ranger).

1 hour ago, Caedmon.6798 said:

Unpack a target painter. This trick marks up to 50 enemy players in the area for 30 seconds. Costs 10 supply to deploy. Cannot be avoided.
Deployment Range: 1,200
Effect Radius: 360

They cant be evaded. You can use 2 throwables and even lay down a stealth trap if youre not good enough to fight a thief without using these tools when you have 25 supply. But the main point, The throwable cannot be evaded.

So is it but svarty is a thief hater and don't like such facts. He really forgets that this painter delete a thief completly. No other class has this in the game. I mean where is the painter which deletes Blocks? Boons? Invul?

PS: And over the top to the Painter and Trap there are also Guards and Watchtowers which can reveal the Thief too. And then several classes also have reveal skills.

Edited by Grebcol.5984
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Yunari.9065 said:

🤡

So because someone is good with reflexes, the class must be OP then. Sure without stealth thief goes into God mode.

Its not like its only op with people having epic reflexes. Even with slow reflexes ,its still almost unkillable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Virdo.1540 said:

Its not like its only op with people having epic reflexes. Even with slow reflexes ,its still almost unkillable. 

This is Gw 2 with an active combat system where u have to move and dodge and not oldshool Ultima Online or WoW where u sit on a spot. A thief without good reflexees is a Freebag. You simply can't play thief like a guard. But i guess you will never understand that.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

A thief without good reflexees is a Freebag.

This is not true. Every single successful melee thief in the game abuses internet/server latency. Shadowsteps are a gamebreaking mechanic in GW2, because you apply damage before your target even notices that you engaged.

A thief shadowstepping to a target has about 0.5s of time to safely apply damage before the target can react and counterattack and the only way to avoid this is preemtively placing AOEs. But you can't kill the thief, because when you place AOEs, then he will simply not attack until you stop.

So all you need to do as a thief is engaging and disengaging constantly. That's all you need to learn as a thief player. Reflexes are irrelevant when you follow that pattern. Engage, do a big hit, disengage and repeat. Every thief that fails is just an overextending thief.

For deadeye it doesn't even matter, because it's ranged. This spec is the definition of safety net.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, KrHome.1920 said:

This is not true. Every single successful melee thief in the game abuses internet/server latency. Shadowsteps are a gamebreaking mechanic in GW2, because you apply damage before your target even notices that you engaged. A thief shadowsteppng to a target has about 0.5s of headroom to afety apply damage and the only way to avoid this is preemtively placing AOEs. 

So all you need to do as a thief is engaging and disengaging constantly. That's all you need to learn as a thief player. Engage, do a big hit, disengage and repeat. Every thief that fails is just an overextending thief.

For deadeye it doesn't even matter, because it's ranged. This spec is the definition of safety net.

Every Class has now such builds and some got many ports.

Latency abusing is a stupid argument. I played this game in 2012 when it had massive Culling. At the end every Zerg uses Stealth (and there it seems to be okay). Then you should blame the servers and not the class.

Edited by Yunari.9065
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, KrHome.1920 said:

This is not true. Every single successful melee thief in the game abuses internet/server latency. Shadowsteps are a gamebreaking mechanic in GW2, because you apply damage before your target even notices that you engaged.

A thief shadowstepping to a target has about 0.5s of time to safely apply damage before the target can react and counterattack and the only way to avoid this is preemtively placing AOEs. But you can't kill the thief, because when you place AOEs, then he will simply not attack until you stop.

So all you need to do as a thief is engaging and disengaging constantly. That's all you need to learn as a thief player. Reflexes are irrelevant when you follow that pattern. Engage, do a big hit, disengage and repeat. Every thief that fails is just an overextending thief.

Now are even Shadowsteps broken. Maybe the whole Game is broken then. Latency issue...okey should i start to tell you how it is when u play thief with a ping over 180? 🙄 or when u can't port because there is 1 pixel on the ground which makes a invalid pathing text message? I mean i have no passiv boons or blocks or aegis or stability nothing. And you really want to blame me when i using shadowstep? 🤨 NOW when a horde of willbenders ports around killing peoples and cele harbinger which vomit condi comets? Okay, cool story. And for sure the thief has so much Shadowsteps. Must be 1000 right?

Edited by Grebcol.5984
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1