Where are the Holyday Selfie winners?

So  In December 2021 there Anet  there was a Holiday Selfie Sweepstakes. The deadline to enter was the 10th, but there was no date for winners to be announced. It's been over a month and there has been no posts about it. Have been picked yet? There was over 300 entries; I'd like to know who won.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

*Holiday 😉 There's nothing "holy" there 

If you ain't a receiving a message about it then ya probably ain't winnin' 
Simple as that. 
Usually you'll receive an email or anything like that in case you're lucky. 
Trust, me you don't want to know who won. It keeps your sanity safe and won't leave you disappointed or depressed. Also it's better for the oh so lucky winners because usually winners announced in public get hate mail and death threats sent to them by the poor unlucky ones. Speaking from experience here, sadly... 
So most big companies don't announce winners in public anymore and just message the winners instead. 

Edited by Cynder.2509
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

Holiday is a modernisation and contraction of 'holy day'. From the wiki:

Etymology

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg (hālig "holy" + dæg "day").[1] The word originally referred only to special religious days. The modern use varies geographically. In North America, it means any dedicated day or period of celebration. In the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand, holiday is often used instead of the word vacation.

OT: I don't think it's a bad thing for anet to just announce that winners have been chosen and notified.

• Like 3

I went digging in the fine print of the contest rules, so here's this:

> Winner Selection. There will be 8 winner(s) (each a “Winner” and collectively the “Winners”), selected as follows: Potential Winners will be selected from among all eligible entries in a random drawing to be held on or around 14 December 2021.
> Winner Notification; Prize Delivery. Each potential Winner will be notified on or around 14 December 2021 via the email address used to enter.

Now that's great and all, but I had to download and comb through a file to find out what you wanted to know, which isn't ideal. Wouldn't expect winner names or anything like that to be posted, but a simple 'yo, winners have been chosen and prizes have been sent out, thanks for doing the thing!' tweet might have been a good idea.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Cynder.2509 said:

*Holiday 😉 There#s nothing "holy" there

Wow, how cool and edgy...

6 hours ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

So  In December 2021 there Anet  there was a Holiday Selfie Sweepstakes. The deadline to enter was the 10th, but there was no date for winners to be announced. It's been over a month and there has been no posts about it. Have been picked yet? There was over 300 entries; I'd like to know who won.

It is bad practice to announce the names of winners of such things, not terrible, but still not bad. From a data security point it would be handing out the account name to the public, and by announcing who has won, you open them up for harrassment. So no, I think it's ok if we never get to know who won. Why do you care? What does this information provide to you and what would you do with it?

As AgentMoore sais a simple "Hey the contest has ended and we've chosen our winners. Thanks for your participation." would have more than enough.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Cynder.2509 said:

16 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

13 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

I wasn't expecting them to announce players' names, only to show the pictures that won. Those pictures were posted publicly and needed to have certain hashtags to even enter.
It was a contest to show Fashion Wars, so I think it's in bad form to Not show what pictures won. Also how do you know if anyone even won, if nothing is announced.
Now it just feels like a waste of time to even enter any contests in the future.

Edited by SkinnyT.5382
  • Like 5

On 1/9/2022 at 9:59 AM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I went digging in the fine print of the contest rules, so here's this:

> Winner Selection. There will be 8 winner(s) (each a “Winner” and collectively the “Winners”), selected as follows: Potential Winners will be selected from among all eligible entries in a random drawing to be held on or around 14 December 2021.
> Winner Notification; Prize Delivery. Each potential Winner will be notified on or around 14 December 2021 via the email address used to enter.

Now that's great and all, but I had to download and comb through a file to find out what you wanted to know, which isn't ideal. Wouldn't expect winner names or anything like that to be posted, but a simple 'yo, winners have been chosen and prizes have been sent out, thanks for doing the thing!' tweet might have been a good idea.

I understand your sentiment, but from a marketing perspective it makes sense.
When Arenanet says:
"Hey pay attention to me and you can win"
People get excited

When Arenanet says:
"Hey you all, sorry you did not win"
People get sad

The later is not desirable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, mercury ranique.2170 said:

When Arenanet says:
People get sad

I dunno; whenever there's a lottery and someone wins the jackpot, usually every news outlet available makes mention that 'someone' won. More relevant to GW2, when players run raffles and giveaways, I normally see them issue a 'thanks for playing' message when it's over. The benefit of this is to offer closure to those who participated so that they won't be left hanging in addition to the disappointment of not winning.

Sometimes, this is also when competition runners announce their next upcoming activity/attraction, so for example ArenaNet could announce the end of one contest and announce a new one (or make reference to an upcoming trailer/stream/expansion) to keep the energy going. It's not really something to be demanded, but I always appreciate knowing when a competition I entered is over so I can move on. Kinda like if you went on a job interview and then never heard back about it - closure isn't strictly necessary, but it's appreciated.

• Like 5

On 1/13/2022 at 6:09 AM, mercury ranique.2170 said:

I understand your sentiment, but from a marketing perspective it makes sense.
When Arenanet says:
"Hey pay attention to me and you can win"
People get excited

When Arenanet says:
People get sad

But the thing is that this was a competition. Had it been just a random lottery I won't care who won, but it was an activity for players. It should have taken into account players' creativity with mixing armors, their knowledge of game  maps so they can find a good setting, and the composition of those thing. This required time and effort, and by not even announcing the winners it dismisses those efforts.
As for marketing perspective, you want people to continuously engage with the game, and in this case it's social media. But why would I continue to  engage in their public competitions, if people's efforts are not going to be recognized?

Once upon a time Anet not only announced the winners for these little contests but also also pointed out notable mentions, to give recognition to players even if they didn't win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1