World Linking 1/28/2022

Cal Cohen.2358

17 hours ago, Heibi.4251 said:

And mysteriously, the bandwagon begins on Kaineng. Very High as of today. Seriously, ANET should have a 2 week no transfer after relink rule until alliances are implemented. Or a 2 week moratorium on transfers to the link of Full servers. 

Do you recall that Anet had some sort of transfer restrictions when server links were first implemented?  They ultimately removed them because they weren't having the effect they expected or something.  Would have to find the old archived forum post about it.

19 minutes ago, Heibi.4251 said:

Another suggestion would be increase the transfer cost to move to a server linked with a full server to like 5000 gems. 

Which would mean transfers would stop.  And for WvW that sounds like it would be good, but many players would stop playing.

And Anet would lose the gems for transfers 

I get the idea, it just won’t happen

• Confused 2

Found it!  There used to be lower population caps on linked worlds to prevent mass transferring to them.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Linked-Worlds-Transfer-Restrictions

"We are going to be removing the artificial transfer restrictions we placed on linked worlds. Linked worlds originally had these restrictions to prevent them from achieving double the population of unlinked worlds, through mass transfers. This safeguard has, so far, proved unnecessary and we think it is doing more harm than good. We’ll be removing this restriction on Monday; which means some worlds that are currently Full will drop to Very High or High. As always, we’ll be closely monitoring world populations after making this change, in case further adjustments are needed."

Reference: http://dulfy.net/2016/04/19/gw2-spring-quarterly-update-reddit-ama/

"Worlds that are paired will have lower population caps."

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Found it!  There used to be lower population caps on linked worlds to prevent mass transferring to them.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Linked-Worlds-Transfer-Restrictions

"We are going to be removing the artificial transfer restrictions we placed on linked worlds. Linked worlds originally had these restrictions to prevent them from achieving double the population of unlinked worlds, through mass transfers. This safeguard has, so far, proved unnecessary and we think it is doing more harm than good. We’ll be removing this restriction on Monday; which means some worlds that are currently Full will drop to Very High or High. As always, we’ll be closely monitoring world populations after making this change, in case further adjustments are needed."

Reference: http://dulfy.net/2016/04/19/gw2-spring-quarterly-update-reddit-ama/

"Worlds that are paired will have lower population caps."

Kinda funny, they basically only gave the system two months before taking off that restriction, then all hell broke loose for the next few years. "Closely monitoring" 🤭😄😆😂🤣🤪

We will not be releasing the world pairings in advance. This is to reduce the amount of ‘gaming the system’ and transferring worlds before the worlds are even linked.

Annnnnd they broke this rule too. They really don't care.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Kinda funny, they basically only gave the system two months before taking off that restriction, then all hell broke loose for the next few years. "Closely monitoring" 🤭😄😆😂🤣🤪

Annnnnd they broke this rule too. They really don't care.

Yeeeep....

It's probably related to the common problem in any organization with loss of organizational memory when employees swap in and out of roles.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GoldenPants.1870 said:

Oh no less zerglings on the already overpopulated server.

Anyways.

Wait…. So looking on this forum WvW is dead, they need to merge servers because population sucks, no one is on, yada yada yada…

But now the servers are overpopulated?

My point related more to the point that if Anet wasn’t trying to encourage transfers, they would have already done this differently.  

They’ve changed the timing of the release of world pairings to allow people to transfer before the pairing goes live, they’ve increased the population caps for servers, which made some populated servers look less populated and allowed transfers to those worlds to be easier..  By making transfers 5000 gems, Anet would lose a significant amount of gems for transfers.  And people would just stop playing making more maps dead.  

Good news is since you don’t like the ‘zerglings’ with alliances you can choose not to be paired to an alliance and by being ‘filler’ you will likely end up on a world that has a bunch of ransoms also.  It’ll be a roamer’s paradise!

Changes since relinks

Borlis pass = Full -> High

JQ = Full -> Very high

SoS = Full -> Very high

DH = Very high -> High

HoD = Very high -> High

Kaineng = High -> Very high

Overall looks like a loss of population in a week and half, but Kaineng isn't full yet surprisingly. Maybe anet is on to something here, and needs to link BG with a very high server to start with next time to get that schweet 1800 gem transfers instead!

4 hours ago, Deniara Devious.3948 said:

This is just the result of Arenanet's kitten metrics. No queues on Desolation and outnumbered on multiple maps same time.

Just give us the outnumbered buff back! At least +3 pips/tick if +5 extra pips/tick was too much.

It is your server's choice to play at deep night, jsut log in when 80% of your populations plays for easy wins. Deso should be always full and unlinked.

Edited by Daredevil.2745
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Daredevil.2745 said:

It is your server's choice to play at deep night, jsut log in when 80% of your populations plays for easy wins. Deso should be always full and unlinked.

I cannot play at night and most evenings because of family and work and I am sure a lot others cannot just choose any time.

No server should be without a link.

Just abolish one tier in EU. I really don't understand why there is 5 tiers in EU, when there is literally no queues, except on reset there might be few player queue to 1 map for a short time.

A full status is a joke as it doesn't feel full at all. I am guessing Arenanet is measuring something else than just total play minutes. The only thing which should matter are total minutes played by all players on server. All other measurements will be flawed and I can explain this if somebody wants to argue algorithmic stuff.

With just 4 tiers every server in EU can have a link and some will have 2 links (3 servers together). A game will feel more populated and fun for most.

Returning some extra pips from outnumbered would also be no brainer. Arenanet should work hard to make more people want to play their game, instead of adding living story / pve stuff, I don't want to play. Playing literally alone on home borderland or seeing another player on my side once per 5 minutes, doesn't feel like large scale at all.

16 hours ago, Daredevil.2745 said:

no one should be discriminated against.

we all want teams to have the same numbers. I think we need to work a lot on the mechanics of the algorithm that builds the teams.

it is a good thing to have a better granularity is a great thing to limit transfers but it is also necessary to work on the parameters and logic of the algorithm that will build the teams.

I often use the numbers you see on gw2mist, you can see them too (of course they are not correct and official but it could be a good truthful estimate, since anet does not give us other tools) number of registered users.

in proportion I spent last week playing with teams that had almost double our numbers.

matched servers or full servers count for nothing if you eventually get teams that have 2000 vs 1000.

2 hours ago, Junkpile.7439 said:

Funny how anet have like all the data. They can see that if they put me in one team, they need to put 10 players in other teams. No when i think about this i might be reason why SFR is unlinked. 😎

you are just too good, every sfr player worth 10 players on other servers in skill according to Anets metrics. thats why you are unlinked.

Activity before January relinks

It's quite obvious why Deso is full with no link, after getting a link throughout 2021, besides the last two relinks. So things 'balance' out, albeit slowly.

This is against Gandara linked with Fort Ranik; who were linked with Deso two relinks ago. Deso was in T1, besides 1-2 weeks, despite wanting to drop and even then you had active ppt coverage, going back to T1 would be instant.

Fort Ranik was more empty then it was, before the mass transfers it had during this relink.

Despite being open last year, most transfers were likely bandwagoners during the stacked wsr link, even deso and wsr were somehow high population for 2 weeks.

Edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048