End of Dragons is a disappointing mess

6 hours ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I feel like they wasted all of Kaineng's NPC movement/speech budget on just the MinSec NPCs scattered around. Overall the city feels like a suburban office complex that has too many unoccupied units.

I'm surprised by how much I hear one bit of dialogue over and over as I'm roaming the city. It feels like it's entirely populated by that one worker who wants to know if his union gave the okay talking to the jade mech that doesn't have a humor protocol. The two of them are everywhere.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/4/2022 at 8:46 PM, Hoover.6394 said:

Queensdale is the most boring map and I was hoping they update that map so new players can see a better map design, the maps in this expansion are amazing, I think some people just don’t like the oriental aesthetics. 

that's the new queensdale not the OG

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The more I read about this complaint, the more noticeable it seems to become to me, too. Hmm. I guess I was too busy exploring and playing the story to notice this shortcoming.

Generally I'm the same way - I tend not to notice a lot of things on early playthroughs.

I was really hoping that they'd do better than Amnoon... and I guess in some ways they did. When it comes to the raw volume of assets, buildings, doors, etc, New Kaineng superficially looks like a place where a lot of people live, work, and go about their day in ways that are completely indifferent to our adventures.

It falls apart at the NPC level for me. There either aren't enough of them, or the ones we have aren't doing enough, or both. Even if they're silent and not interactable, just seeing a maintenance skiff (Rama implies they're common enough for us to be able to get away with impersonating one) passing through the canals would make a huge difference. Having kids actually play with each other (even if all they do is laugh and not actually speak words) would make a huge difference. Having a tavern (or dive-y tea house) in Cobble Ward or Grub Lane that you can walk into like the ones in DR or BC would make a huge difference.

None of the above type things are necessary, and that's their charm in a game environment. They understood this making core cities, where not every door was openable, but the random inns and taverns you could get into were almost fully explorable. ANd for no other reason than just being there - no chests, no achieves, sometimes not even any NPCs to spy on upstairs. 

I guess I see New Kaineng like

Spoiler

I see the Mai Trin redemption speedrun. In concept, I like it. Mai Trin did some very bad things, Jory (and my character) still feel real salty about it, but the reality of life is that people can change (even the ones we have grudges against). But I feel like the path we took from "Mai Trin is a murderer and kidnapper" to "Hero of New Kaineng" was just totally streamlined, efficient, and on-the-rails. There was little sense of artistry to it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2