Turtle Mounts block view - ruining combat for others

I just love how they made Jade bots as weak as possible and made sure they are not seen by others due to them worrying about too many things on screen or something (Like that doesn't already happen, did the people behind EoD even play the game?) But then allow a Turtle which does massively less dps then two players normally could do is allowed to just sit there and take up more space then anything that existed beforehand when fighting mobs. 

Its only useful in 2 maps in the entire game, otherwise its incredibly terrible. And yet, its now a Troll Toy. hah

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 3/8/2022 at 1:52 PM, EMPI.4013 said:

The turtles fade if they're standing on you. How Is your view obstructed? Unless you're complaining about even the fading. At which point feels a bit petty. The skyscale also blocks views, and it doesn't even fade when obstructing the camera. Saying it's only the turtle doesn't compute.

and this is fine if your a melee fighter, but what if your a ranged fighter that needs to click on the boss to properly target him for a range attack but all you can see or click on is one of 15 giant turtle butts. 

Edited by Drayron.8621
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 1:36 PM, Hamfast.8719 said:

My problem?  Unlike all other mounts, Turtles apparently don’t disappear in combat the way all other mounts do, and they are just to darned BIG to see past. 

Strange, turtles always become transparent on my screen whenever there are more than a few players around (like meta events for example). I assumed it was implemented this way to prevent the very issue you're bringing up, but it could just be my settings. I have Character Model Limit set to Lowest in the options, maybe that might help fix your problem? 

I am sorry, but are you telling me that the turtle is a problem when we already cannot see anything during metas? The game is already full of shiny nonsense. There is no "visual clarity" to begin with and taking or limiting the use of the turtle mount will not change that. Let people have their fun with their mount. I for one love watching those turtles around. It is way better than having floating orbs, or rainbows coming out of every character. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Tazer.2157 said:

I am sorry, but are you telling me that the turtle is a problem when we already cannot see anything during metas? The game is already full of shiny nonsense. There is no "visual clarity" to begin with and taking or limiting the use of the turtle mount will not change that. Let people have their fun with their mount. I for one love watching those turtles around. It is way better than having floating orbs, or rainbows coming out of every character. 

Yes, obviously people are having a problem with it (hence the post and the replies that concur with the issue).  Just because you are okay with it, doesn't mean everyone else is.  As I mentioned in my initial statement, this has made me seriously consider throwing in the towel due to unplayability in some battles.  (I've been a big contributor to their gem store purchases, and have been with the franchise since the GW1 Betas.  I've got 17+ years under my belt.  So, yeah.  It means a lot to me).  And yes, even without turtles things have always been cluttered in combat.

I DON'T WANT to stop people from having fun with their mount.  You wouldn't say that if you'd fully read what I've posted.  I very specifically said just the opposite.  I'm looking for a solution for everybody here.  As things are currently, the TURTLES are reducing fun for OTHER PEOPLE.  What I am asking for (a drop-down box to choose the level of true mount invisibility you want to display) will not reduce the fun anybody is having with their Turtle in any way.  If you like seeing the turtles, you can see the turtles.  If you don't like seeing them, you can make them invisible.  Everybody wins.

As you said, our vision has always been problematic.  We have had to strain to peer through the bushes to see our targets.  Now there are whole TREES in the way.  The solution is NOT to learn to live with the trees since we've been forced to get used to the bushes.  The real solution is to chop them BOTH down to a custom level of our choosing.

We need:

- A Turtle Invisibility level drop-down choice box.

- A Visual F/X level slider (asked for many times probably since launch).

...or whatever other clever solutions you folks can come up with.  I like the idea someone mentioned of being in Combat Mode as a possible trigger for Turtle invisibility.

Or if a slider is too hard to implement, I'm fine with an extensive item-by-item checklist (other player's spell effects / other player's item effects / Legendary footprints / etc.)  And fewer effects will result in less lag.  It's high time to do something about all of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

whenever i get close enough to a turtle, it goes into ally-stealth-mode". where i can still see the outline of the invisible turtle. 

it would be nice if this effect could have a slider to allow long range players to fine-tune the distance at which this effect is applied for them.

i DO wonder if the Player Character Model Quality setting affects this though. (I use DX11, and i notice that the lighting artifacts appear less often with lower settings.)

7 hours ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

i DO wonder if the Player Character Model Quality setting affects this though. (I use DX11, and i notice that the lighting artifacts appear less often with lower settings.)

Hmm... my graphics settings are maxed out, and I'm also using DX11.  You can see in my picture link (a few posts back) what a "faded" turtle looks like to me.  Just faded, not invisible.  Are other people experiencing different?

Dirty glasses bug me.  This is much worse.  I could live with the "invisible ally" look of "rippling air".