Do you game with your kids?

Super Hayes.6890

I'm still not sure wether playing with your kids is a good thing or not. I don't want them to see this as the best or only thing to do. So we, my wife and me, only play when the kids sleep. And only in rare occasions when one wakes and cries we get one on our lap.My kids are 2 and 4 and usually enjoy watching us. I already have a problem with my older one to play with a smartphone. They can and will use that stuff all their life, let them be a child in a humble way. All that modern stuff will consume them eventually.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My daughter is 3 and has her own account. My and my wife's computers are side by side so we can play together, or now with her on one of them sometimes. She can pretty much control her character like I do, she mouse turns, jumps, glides, "splats on purpose". Her favorite thing is getting to vistas and viewing them. The places she can get to kind of amaze me, and how much she remembers. Hoping her focus and control gets a little better so she can do the holiday stuff this year.

@Rankomonaut.4708 said:I'm still not sure wether playing with your kids is a good thing or not. I don't want them to see this as the best or only thing to do. So we, my wife and me, only play when the kids sleep. And only in rare occasions when one wakes and cries we get one on our lap.My kids are 2 and 4 and usually enjoy watching us. I already have a problem with my older one to play with a smartphone. They can and will use that stuff all their life, let them be a child in a humble way. All that modern stuff will consume them eventually.

I think it's fine to have those worries. I too think about it at times. But I also remember that teaching them to have a healthy relation with technology can only be taught if you allow it be part of your life.

As a parent, you know your kids best, so you also know best how to create a healthy environment that (can also) include(s) gaming.

So my kids are allowed to play games to a certain degree, but when it becomes a bit much or slightly obsessive we say its time for a break, doing something else (together).

My son turned 16 this year. This previous Christmas, we got him his very own laptop and bought him a copy of GW2. (We started with the free edition, but considering he has a bit of my alt-a-holic-ness, we upgraded him). Guess who's super unhappy because his laptop broke 3 months ago (silly me, I didn't get the warranty) and PoF launches Friday?

My favorite moment (prior to the laptop dying) is still "Mom, what level do I need to be so I can play with you and Dad?" Followed promptly by my husband and myself hauling our characters back to Queensdale to play with him with a "Is now good?" I did make a new character to level with him after the fact, but he was having a blast leveling up his necro and his warrior (and I love pointing all the little nooks and crannies out). Necro was his first character (I'm so proud!), warrior was his second (which made his father proud lol. Can you tell what we play?) Like me, he misses the old GW1 MM.

My second favorite moment, is the following conversation when he made his warrior:Son: Mom, what's a good warrior name?Me: Male or Female?Son: MaleMe: Race?Son: The tall oneMe: Norn? Charr?Son: YeahMe: sigh

I don't have kids, and at least for the forseeable future I have no intention of changing that. I mean, its always possible so I won't say NEVER, but... yeah, I don't see it being in the cards.

That said, if I ever have kids I'm definitely going to try to get them into gaming. I wouldn't force it or anything, I'm firmly in the camp of "you like what you like" and if they don't like games then so be it. But it'd definitely be encouraged since I know that I intend to continue gaming forever.

I used to play games with my mom all the time. She was never very good at them so as I got older and better we kind of drifted away from playing competitive games, as she wasn't a very good loser, lets just say. But we played cooperative games from the NES (of special note being the Rescue Rangers game) all the way through PS3 (the Tales of series, with the last one we played together being Tales of Graces before she passed).

@Bobby Stein.3612 said:

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

@Bobby Stein.3612 said:Yup. GW2 as well as console games (after homework and reading, of course).

Did the team ever take inspiration from their kids in development of the game? They have great imaginations, and also great ideas when it comes to story and creativity. Your response got me very curious to know if you did.

I can't speak for others, but I've certainly taken some suggestions from my kids. When
says, "Ground-rubbing-complete" it's because my oldest, when she was 6, used to think the revive animation was your character just rubbing the ground. I thought that was hilarious so I added it to the chatter list.

This really cracked me up :) Every time I hear that in game now I will chuckle knowing it came from someone my daughter's age. That is really cool!

@Rankomonaut.4708 said:I'm still not sure wether playing with your kids is a good thing or not. I don't want them to see this as the best or only thing to do. So we, my wife and me, only play when the kids sleep. And only in rare occasions when one wakes and cries we get one on our lap.My kids are 2 and 4 and usually enjoy watching us. I already have a problem with my older one to play with a smartphone. They can and will use that stuff all their life, let them be a child in a humble way. All that modern stuff will consume them eventually.

I agree about being consumed by electronics. I balance things out by limiting game time to the weekends, as well has playing card games, making them play outside (when it's not 100 degrees) and playing coop table top games. The latter are especially good because it everyone has to work together to win the game rather than try to beat each other. My twins also take piano lessons and one is taking singing lessons. My son is on the golf team at school (self-admitted bad golfer) and plays on the weekend occasionally. GW2 is a small portion of what they are involved in.

I don't have any children but I do have quite many siblings. My two younger sisters are not much into PC-online games, only likes to play on video-consoles, Mario Party, Mario Kart, etc. I've tried to get them into GW2 but they show no interest within it.My three older brothers however are just like me, loves to be a gamer and play. Two of them along with my parents actually played together GW2 when it was just released. Since we were 5 players, we created each one a seperated race. My mother used to be a female Elementalist Sylvari, my father was Human Guardian, 1st brother was an Asuran Engineer, 2nd brother was a Charr Warrior and I was a Norn Ranger. (based on Eir but with Blonde haircolour instead :) )We used to party up, had alot of struggling to get into the same instance server, (back then there was no Megaserver) running around and we had so much fun back then! =) <3

Sadly none of them are playing GW2 anymore... :'(

My daughter is only 19 months old but we PvP together... She sits on my lap and loves making my character jump (she jumped on someone's corpse once, had to apologise to the guy and he called me a pedo once I told him it was my baby who was sitting on my lap). She gets really upset when we die (because the character stops moving) and she gets really happy if I turn the camera around and use /wave, she'll either wave back or say hi to my character. Her favourite race is the Charr.I have 2 characters dedicated to her (aurora lee and cheeky pumpkin).

@sephiroth.4217 said:My daughter is only 19 months old but we PvP together... She sits on my lap and loves making my character jump (she jumped on someone's corpse once, had to apologise to the guy and he called me a pedo once I told him it was my baby who was sitting on my lap). She gets really upset when we die (because the character stops moving) and she gets really happy if I turn the camera around and use /wave, she'll either wave back or say hi to my character. Her favourite race is the Charr.I have 2 characters dedicated to her (aurora lee and cheeky pumpkin).

Yeah my daughter enjoyed the jump key as well, and the /wave. Her most favourite thing was to watch vistas over and over. That never got old for her.

I played with my 7 yrs old daughter Terraria for a long time, now she is almost 9 yrs old and she has taken over my second GW2 account. She is stuck in an infinite loop of creating new toons, takes ages on the character creation screens and really likes the mesmer look, she has 5 mesmers on her account for some reason. She isn't much concerned about achievements, but she really wanted to learn gliding, so we did that together. She made a ranger and wants to charm every pet in the game, she often uses one of her precious portal stones to teleport to me when I call out to her a new juvenile pet.

I absolutely play GW2 with my kids. Each has their own account and saved up their allowance to buy PoF. My son (8) loves to do jumping puzzles, keg brawl and sanctum sprint. He and I do fractals as part of a guild group and he is eager to progress into raiding. My daughter is still learning how to follow the commander but has fun exploring towns and finding each and every door that can be opened, going inside and taking a nap (/sleep).

@sephiroth.4217 said:My daughter is only 19 months old but we PvP together... She sits on my lap and loves making my character jump (she jumped on someone's corpse once, had to apologise to the guy and he called me a pedo once I told him it was my baby who was sitting on my lap). She gets really upset when we die (because the character stops moving) and she gets really happy if I turn the camera around and use /wave, she'll either wave back or say hi to my character. Her favourite race is the Charr.I have 2 characters dedicated to her (aurora lee and cheeky pumpkin).

This is exactly how both of my children started out :)They both loved that space bar and would giggle upon seeing the effect it had on screen.

Both of my girls are proud gamers and love GW2. My oldest has been playing since she was 4 and my second oldest has been playing for at least 2 years. They absolutely love jumping puzzles and make up games to play in Tyria. Their favorite is to pick a spot on the map and race to see who can get to Lion's Arch on foot the fastest. The other is going into every house in Divinity's reach like they are shopping for a home. They go into EVERY house. They even have the location of their favorites memorized.

I'm 15 years old and I have been playing Guild Wars 2 since beta. I was 10 years old when my father (who has played with GW) showed me GW2, and because i really liked it he bought me the game. We have been playing together since then, and I became a bigger fan than he is. We never got bored, we always liked to talk about the game, and last year I even bought GW1 so we could play together. Maybe this comment seems a bit boring, but I thought it would be nice if I wrote it down here.

@Vibrasphere.3715 said:I'm 15 years old and I have been playing Guild Wars 2 since beta. I was 10 years old when my father (who has played with GW) showed me the game, and because i really liked it he bought me the game. We have been playing together since then, and I became a bigger fan than he is. We never got bored, we always liked to talk about the game, and last year I even bought GW1 so we could play together. Maybe this comment seems a bit boring, but I thought it would be nice if I wrote it down here.

I am jealous, I wish my family would like to play GW1 and 2 too :D

I have 3 adult sons one year apart from each other in age. When they were younger I tried gaming with them but unfortunately like everything in their lives it became a competition between them. (while they were growing up life was just one big p_ssing match). I have played the same games as them om occasion but never with them, I'm just not up to their standards, particularly in twitch games. I take an interest in the games that my one son that still lives with me plays but he gets too angry for me to play with him, I play to relax not compete. Strangely though when we all played Diablo, not together, I was the only one that played hardcore?

Gaming has always been associated with isolation in my family. So that's how I perceive it. I do have memories of making a character for my little brother in Aion. And how he cried when I told him he wasn't the strongest character in the game. He hit level 3 and thought he was God Mode LOL. He literally dinged 3, threw his hands in the air and yelled "YEAH! I SKRONGER!" It was so cute.

Archived