Feedback - Skiff

Hello everyone,

with this topic i would like to submit an idea for changes that - so i think - players would like to see about the skiff. 

1.  give the skiff a break. this is probably something the playerbase would like to see the most. you could absolutely implement that in combination with an additional mastery path. it wouldnt have to do a break instantly but its waaaay to slow and a bit annoying of how it works with pressing "S" for backwards.
  2. Skiff Supercharger. the fishingholes are usually not far away from each other. having the mastery skill that gives the skiff a turbo start already and while there are no long paths any player is interested to pass with a skiff it makes that skiff supercharger entirely pointless. even if there was a map one day in which you would HAVE to travel a long path with a skiff - so long that it would be worth grinding for addition +25% speed.... grinding to get that service chip... i dont see why anyone would bother - UNLESS...
  3. make the skiff being a rollerbeatle on the water.
    1. im talking about races. races as we have it for mounts and rollerbeatles in specific. races on the waters of cantha.
    2. with a break-system (suggestion #1) that would be good enough to be able to drift with the skiff as you are able to drift with the rollerbeatle. 
    3. then finally there would be actual reason to bother grinding for that skiff supercharger 3 because then +5% speed on top of the skiff supercharger 2 could actually make a difference
    4. it would even give the turbo of the skiff more value that you can unlock with a mastery path already as its use right now is only to get a booster when starting to move
    5. and the 3 levels of basic speed the skiff has atm might also finally be more reasonable than having an "easier" turn while moving slower than a slug. im thinking of a path in that potential skiff race in which you would have to navigate through many curves for a little bit and going down in speed actually making a difference in the time one can achieve

so yea thats it

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Luc de Lanzac.2160 said:

1. Skiff Supercharger. the fishingholes are usually not far away from each other. having the mastery skill that gives the skiff a turbo start already and while there are no long paths any player is interested to pass with a skiff it makes that skiff supercharger entirely pointless. even if there was a map one day in which you would HAVE to travel a long path with a skiff - so long that it would be worth grinding for addition +25% speed.... grinding to get that service chip... i dont see why anyone would bother - UNLESS...

There are also maps where fishing holes are not close together, or if you follow a path then want to go back to the start of it where the holes are respawning, it's nice. Personally I only bothered to get the +20% speed one, it's really not expensive at all.

There's also uses for the skiff outside of fishing, I find with the 20% boost and turbo boost it's faster than a skimmer and nice for water travel, it's also fun.

• Confused 1

No thank you.

Skiff behaves exactly like a boat.  Feels quite natural to me.  Boats don't have breaks.  Shift the engine into the lowest setting quite a bit before where you want to actually stop or turn.

I'm pretty happy with my Skiff Supercharger 3 to cut down on the time it takes to go longer distances.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 5

not breaks like a car does ... if its important for you that its authentic you could think of jade-engined jets that turn when you want to hold creating a counter force to the direction moving... 

and you also misunderstood the reason behind this suggestion. this is more something of how to make MORE of what we have with the skiff already than asking for a do-over of whats there already. i think i was quite clear about it. 

You can actually break a little by holding s. I don’t agree adding more breaks as the skiff right now feels really good since it’s acting like you expect a boat to do.

What I would like though is more related to fishing. The party fisher buff should act more like food and utility. Letting you change map without losing the buff you gained. And last a bit longer if your boat despawns cause of mobs. Sometimes if it’s a bunch of veterans you don’t get enough time to kill them before it goes away. That’s probably the only thing bothering me about skiffs. 

• Like 1

I love my skiff supercharger tier 3, so no it is not a waste of a slot for me. The boat mechanics in the game are a pretty good indicator of how a real boat behaves.  There are no brakes on a boat.  You throttle back well before where you wish to stop, as it is in game now.  Real boats do not stop on a dime and the skiffs in GW2 mimic this behavior.  So my vote is no for brakes.

Now if I could have a total of three (3) jade bots hanging off the stern of the skiff providing MOAR POWAH, I would be in boating heaven. :P

Dont focus so much on the "breaks" idea. the idea with that suggestion is really just to have skiff races and in my mind that should include being able to drift with a skiff (which is certainly something small boats can do IRL, too...). the "breaks" would just have been an idea of how to accomplish that but for me it could totally work in a different way - maybe like a skill that gives a "hot turn" when having reached a certain speed. @Sticky.2653 @Freya.9075 @Chaba.5410

I hope this is now... more clear ^^...

Edited by Luc de Lanzac.2160
more context of what i wanted to say

The races would be a fun feature for sure. And quite possible to add and make them feel like a real boat as well since they also exist irl. Maybe add some more speed and ramps and stuff. I tried to make a ramp in the guild hall to see if it was able to jump but it didn’t work as I expected xD 

who knows. Maybe it can be a feature when they add to the story in cantha. We can hope. 

I think general qol would be good for skiffs. Half the time I have to have my camera angled a certain way to prevent getting ejected into the collision of the boat on anchor. There's also the fact that it's pretty hard to manuever/turn/course correct which is fine as it's more realistic for a boat but it's often easier to just get on your skimmer, go to a spot, and plant the boat down while dismounting the skimmer and climbing aboard. 

Also, is there a way to get up onto the boat without having to use the board mechanic? From the water? I feel like having to use the boarding function to get onto the ship is another thing that irks me because it forces you into driving mode and being locked into the seat leading to the collision issue on anchor again. 

I do like the potential the tech behind the skiff has now though if they continue to refine it and repurpose it. I wouldn't mind a larger version of the skiff but I know graphically that might get cumbersome.

I can get a sort of drift when turning at speed.  Don't want to turn too hard or you will scrub off too much speed.  A hot turn skill at speed would be interesting.

I want to add water skiing/wakeboarding to the wish list, but I imagine that is where it will stay.

3 hours ago, Luc de Lanzac.2160 said:

Dont focus so much on the "breaks" idea. the idea with that suggestion is really just to have skiff races and in my mind that should include being able to drift with a skiff (which is certainly something small boats can do IRL, too...). the "breaks" would just have been an idea of how to accomplish that but for me it could totally work in a different way - maybe like a skill that gives a "hot turn" when having reached a certain speed. @Sticky.2653 @Freya.9075 @Chaba.5410

I hope this is now... more clear ^^...

I'm not focused on it.  I just don't understand where you getting this idea that there's no drifting.  Watercraft do nothing but drift.  That's why the turning radius increases the faster you are going and why you need to throttle down and start turns early.

Edited by Chaba.5410