Things you'd like to see in the world for the new Expansion

For this topic I would like to see what everone else would want to see out in the open world for the next expansion. Things such as new enviroments, new cities, underwater content, races, or monsters etc.

For me personally I have three things I would like to see.  First; more human ruins. According to lore humans were supposed to be on their heels population wise, and with all the current story and expansions I really havent felt like humanity is losing the fight. Especially now that we reconnected with Elona and Cantha it just doesnt seem like humanity is going to die out soon. Now that doesnt mean I want humanity to turn into a nonplayable race or anything, I would just like to see more ruins or failed settlements. For example, if Anet takes us to Janthir, (other than the raid) I would like to see Janthir in complete ruin, no humans at all! Just castles and towns completely empty and just have new monsters/old gw1 monsters running around. Much like Orr but with Anets new Map building capabilities, verticality and space. (think bloodborne inspired area with large castles and towns just over run with monsters, they dont have to be creepy monsters or anything, just townships devoid of intelligent life)

Also I think it would be cool to have more "big" monsters that arent champion level or group oriented, I play a ranger and sometimes I RP(roleplay) as a hunter that goes out for "big game" but a lot of the time I dont really get the feel that im hunting. Especially since I cant take "trophies" from champion monsters that I did manage to solo. If Anet could some how introduce a taxidermy system in game and lets us craft "trophies" from hunting AND fishing, that would just be great!!!!! (think monsterhunter but without the over the top monster fights, just let me kill a gaint troll and mount its head Anet!)

Finally I really hope Anet can finally put in a personalized player house! Take what you did with the guildhalls and down size it!!! Let me buy a house in the home instance and let me place my taxidermy trophies everywhere!!!! It doesnt have to be anything over the top or crazy just have enough mechanics to allow players to customize thier home, hell even if all the furnishings are put into the gem store, im willing to pay for that kind of thing especially if itll help GW2 and Anet. I know its easier said than done but something akin to ESO's player housing would be cool. Players could display armors, weapons, trophies, paintings, etc.

These are just some of things on my wishlist, and im sure Anet already has some things in the works for us players, but im curious to see what everyone would like to see out in the open world.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

More "on foot" exploring. There has been a push towards mounts which is great, but it does tend to lead to larger open spaces because of that. I'd like to see more close corridors, mazes, caverns and dungeons. Maybe even areas designed to be mount restricted? Wide open spaces and closed spaces can compliment each other really well.

Another movement based skill, climbing and maybe grapples? There was that lw3 mastery that gave you the vine grapples, but it was only used in like... one zone? Improve on that! And then maybe some climbable walls, ladders, cliff faces. Sure you could skyscale up, but more options is always nice

Oh, and underwater stuff. Underwater combat is what it is, but some exploring of caves, shipwrecks, that sort of thing. Maybe a seaglider mastery that could provide some utility skills like torpedoes to crack open hidden entrances

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

On 4/16/2022 at 11:25 AM, Gabriel Bananas.5786 said:

For me personally I have three things I would like to see.  First; more human ruins. According to lore humans were supposed to be on their heels population wise, and with all the current story and expansions I really havent felt like humanity is losing the fight. Especially now that we reconnected with Elona and Cantha it just doesnt seem like humanity is going to die out soon. Now that doesnt mean I want humanity to turn into a nonplayable race or anything, I would just like to see more ruins or failed settlements. For example, if Anet takes us to Janthir, (other than the raid) I would like to see Janthir in complete ruin, no humans at all! Just castles and towns completely empty and just have new monsters/old gw1 monsters running around. Much like Orr but with Anets new Map building capabilities, verticality and space. (think bloodborne inspired area with large castles and towns just over run with monsters, they dont have to be creepy monsters or anything, just townships devoid of intelligent life)

Humanity was only "on their heels" in regards to how Cantha had become isolated, elona had been taken over by the lich Joko and became isolated, and Orr and Ascalon were destroyed. They were never "on their heels" population wise, only in how much area they actively controlled. Lore never had them getting wiped out in such a way to leave ruins.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reborn.1738 said:

More "on foot" exploring. There has been a push towards mounts which is great, but it does tend to lead to larger open spaces because of that.

They could lock using mounts in future expansion areas behind the story and then map completion.  As an example, if someone wanted to use mounts on a map like Seitung, they would have to do map completion as well as finish the entire expansion story or just the story up until you leave for the next map.  Mount access to the maps be account wide once this ability has been unlocked.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Confused 4

A wider variety of lootable environmental objects. Like crates at the docks, or barrels on a farm, or cabinets in a house. And more variety in loot, so that it's not just materials and currencies. Consumable gizmos can be fun and made a little more impactful if they are found rarely and not something one can buy in bulk from merchants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

They could lock using mounts in future expansion areas behind the story and then map completion.  As an example, if someone wanted to use mounts on a map like Seitung, they would have to do map completion as well as finish the entire expansion story or just the story up until you leave for the next map.  Mount access to the maps be account wide once this ability has been unlocked.

No.  Why?  If someone wants to do map completion on a mount, it in no way affects other players who wish to do so without them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

I don't think I agree with locking flight behind map comp. Locking out only Skyscale and Griffon seems excessive. They are mounts people have earned after all. For those that wanted to just fly around in those areas, they should be able to.

However I'd argue that having certain maps or areas in maps that had restrictions in them (eg a tunnel system that blocked flying, or a city/dense area that didn't allow mounts) then they could design based around those restrictions to create interesting situations. We already have mount/glider locked jump puzzles. In Heart of Thorns we had things like mushroom bounce pads, the grapple in that one map, they've been largely made obsolete by mounts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Reborn.1738 said:

I don't think I agree with locking flight behind map comp. Locking out only Skyscale and Griffon seems excessive. They are mounts people have earned after all. For those that wanted to just fly around in those areas, they should be able to.

However I'd argue that having certain maps or areas in maps that had restrictions in them (eg a tunnel system that blocked flying, or a city/dense area that didn't allow mounts) then they could design based around those restrictions to create interesting situations. We already have mount/glider locked jump puzzles. In Heart of Thorns we had things like mushroom bounce pads, the grapple in that one map, they've been largely made obsolete by mounts. 

They can still use them in the other maps.  It'd be up to ArenaNet to decide if that's a route they would want to go for more "on foot exploring".  It's but one possible way and it wouldn't be the first game to do that.  I have no opinion either way.

• Confused 2

23 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Not understanding your point.

The point being that it's an argument that's often used as someone's trump card.  It's flawed though as it can be applied to a lot of things.  A couple examples being someone that wants to purchase legendary armor or purchase achievement unlocks from the gem store.  None of those affect other players so by your argument you made, they should be made available.  You cannot pick and choose what you apply it to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

The point being that it's an argument that's often used as someone's trump card.  It's flawed though as it can be applied to a lot of things.  A couple examples being someone that wants to purchase legendary armor or purchase achievement unlocks from the gem store.  None of those affect other players so by your argument you made, they should be made available.  You cannot pick and choose what you apply it to.

I'm not picking or choosing anything.  GW2 has been billed as a play-as-you-want type of game.  I like exploring maps with my mounts.  I can play how I want.  That, in no way, affects anyone else's desire to explore maps without mounts.

Your analogy doesn't apply because legendary items aren't a part of this thread's discussion.  Neither are achievements.  Not sure how you're trying to make that parallel.

However, yes, by that example other players having legendary items or achievements doesn't affect my game play.  I don't think making such things available in the gem store is a good strategy for keeping the game going for the long term.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

36 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'm not picking or choosing anything.  GW2 has been billed as a play-as-you-want type of game.  I like exploring maps with my mounts.  I can play how I want.  That, in no way, affects anyone else's desire to explore maps without mounts.

Your analogy doesn't apply because legendary items aren't a part of this thread's discussion.  Neither are achievements.  Not sure how you're trying to make that parallel.

However, yes, by that example other players having legendary items or achievements doesn't affect my game play.  I don't think making such things available in the gem store is a good strategy for keeping the game going for the long term.

And people apply the "play how you want" however they want too which I'm sure you've seen over the years.  That's another "card" that's often used.

Whether they were a part of the discussion or not wasn't the point.  I was simply showing how the "it doesn't affect other players" card can be used to argue for things that I'm sure many people would be against.  But here's something showing my point, you said " I don't think making such things available in the gem store is a good strategy for keeping the game going for the long term".  You stated this in spite of acknowledging that both of those didn't affect your game play.  So perhaps having mount access locked behind completing a future expansion story and maps once could be a good strategy to foster more exploration as that tends to be reduced with mounts.  That argument could certainly be made in spite of the "it doesn't affect other players" or "play however you want" arguments.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Players haven't bought mounts, though. The griffon and skyscale require objectives to be met, in addition to mastery points and exp, to obtain and up-skill. None of which is related to the gemstore.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

first I want to say Im very happy with this expansion. The turtle mount has really helped me to enjoy the game and adventure to other areas I still have to complete in the previous expansions.

My suggestion is a suggestion I have made years ago and in a certain way was added in the maps of one od the expansions. The game would benefit from retro-fitting previous maps by adding floating or underground lands.  I still find the population is too spread out. 

I'd like the achievement panel to be easier to search through and find stuff to do with it.

And then used to create little journey quests. A relic drops in one zone and you get a popup in achievements for an adventure, saying "you've found a tablet showing a secret area in some ruins in another zone". Something that is not right around the corner, but an actual journey!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hesione.9412 said:

And those weren't obtained through the gemstore. Being able to buy stuff through the gemstore is irrelevant to whether or not players want to use their mounts in new maps.

If you look at the posts, you would see that whether or not they could be obtained through the gemstore wasn't the point.  Actually, just read the entire post of mine that you had quoted.  If there's still confusion, read the post as if it hadn't come from this thread. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

You mention the gemstore here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/17/2022 at 12:34 PM, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Humanity was only "on their heels" in regards to how Cantha had become isolated, elona had been taken over by the lich Joko and became isolated, and Orr and Ascalon were destroyed. They were never "on their heels" population wise, only in how much area they actively controlled. Lore never had them getting wiped out in such a way to leave ruins.

I guess I just like the concept of humans fighting a losing battle. They've lost 2 nations Orr and Ascalon. You could argue that thousands (if not millions) have died under Jokos rule. Cantha kind of had a similar thing but they embraced more the "human power" thing. Although I did love seeing ruins in kaineng city. I guess what I'm getting at is I'd like to see more doom and gloom for humans. Not that I wouldn't want a happy ending for humanity, heck I think itd be awesome if on some other part of the world we make contact with some unknown bigger grander human nation, but as it stands now.... more doom and gloom please lol

• Like 1

More swamps and extra easy bounties that introduce you to them

I would love a living world story of a minor golem uprising

Less risen/ghosts/awakened.

More interactive puzzles that are solve able on your own but are not too difficult.

And lastly a nice time travel vacation story in the mists.

Also they should add in ow for eod is a nice house with retired Logan in bloodtide coast.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1