ANET - I have an idea for you - Please read

Hi ANET,

I have an idea for you.

Firstly, I love Guild Wars 2 and I want it to be successful for a long time. However, I am sure that like any other business, you also want something else to „sell“that secures the future of the studio. Do not look further, I have a great idea for you 😊

For me the best part of GW2 is the horizontal progression system and the combat mechanics. In my opinion the ideal situation for Anet would be to create a second MMO that uses large parts of the existing system but is so different from GW2 that people do not perceive it as lazy copy or clone.

The GW2 system offers the following

-          PVE, PVP, WVW

-          Dodge

-          Light, Medium and Light Armor

-          Lots of stats that change your abilities

-          Weapon swap

-          Range and close combat

-          Distance modifier

-          Jumping

-          Blocking

-          Shields

-          Downstate

-          Reflects

-          Stealth

-          Direct and Condition Damage

-          Terrain and Cover

-          Line of sight

-          AOE

-          Teleport

-          Time Warp

-          Flying

-          Mounts that support multiple players

-          Ammunition skills

-          Daze, Stun, Knockbacks, Pull ….

-          Projectile Weapons

-          Beam weapons

-          Rocket launcher

-          Flamethrower

-          Grenade launcher

-          Turrets

-          Snipers

-          Combat pets

-          And so on…..

What would you say if there is brand, universe, popular board game, franchise with millions of fans that does not have an MMO yet…

Well, there is …

I suggest that ANET reaches out to Gamesworkshop and secures the license to develop an Warhammer 40k MMO based on the GW2 system

Nothing in this space exists, the WH40K universe is a sleeping giant of a franchise, that is criminally under used, especially when it comes to video games.

ANET already has so many things in place….

-          WH40k would probably make even better use of the combat system than GW2

-          GW2 already supports widely different character models which is also needed for WH40k. (Norn has basically the size of a Space Marine)

-          The vindicator is already an Assault Marine with Jump Pack

-          Instead of playing mechanist you play a Dreadnought, just get rid of the useless player character… LOL

-          You have spells, projectiles, grenades, beam weapons, summoning all the good stuff to create the different WH40K factions and balance them.

-          You can dodge, block, evade, reflect, absorb damage

-          Combat in GW2 between Close and Range is fluent, exactly what you need in WH40K

I read, watched and played everything that has to do with WH40K and every ability, skill, mechanic, I would wish to be in an MMO for WH40K is already there in GW2….

Here are some bonus thoughts

-          Since the system would so similar/identical to GW2, players could switch between the games very easily and still have two very different experiences

-          Some/a lot of development could be done it parallel for both games

-          The risk that a WH40K MMO would not be popular is very low

-          A Steam release could be coupled with a note „Hey GW2 is the Free to Play Game that is the foundation of our upcoming WH40K game

-          WVW is made for WH40K….

-          Player could recreate their miniatures in the game. The character creation process and color pallet would allow this already

And ANET if you want to develop something new for a WH40K Game, I also have a suggestion…

Instead of traveling from MAP to MAP in WH40K you travel from planet to planet and in between you can have space combat, just if you are bored ….

ANET is the studio to do this! I put the time into writing this comment, because I could not let go of this idea. Maybe somebody from the studio reads this, because if you follow the path, I mapped out, the more sense it all makes…trust me.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 17

1 hour ago, AlopiasGW.1932 said:

I suggest that ANET reaches out to Gamesworkshop and secures the license to develop an Warhammer 40k MMO based on the GW2 system

I wish your dream of a 40k MMO was possible, but there is one factor preventing this, Games Workshop. 

If GW wanted an MMO, they would have one, and apparently there have been many suitors over the years but, GW has made it fairly hard to work with them on such projects.

While I love the 40k IP, Games Workshop is a terrible company that have abused their fans and partners many times over the years.  I just don't see them engaging in anything more than 1 off games where they can collect their licensing fees and royalties and move on.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 11:54 PM, AlopiasGW.1932 said:

Hi ANET,

I have an idea for you.

Firstly, I love Guild Wars 2 and I want it to be successful for a long time. However, I am sure that like any other business, you also want something else to „sell“that secures the future of the studio. Do not look further, I have a great idea for you 😊

For me the best part of GW2 is the horizontal progression system and the combat mechanics. In my opinion the ideal situation for Anet would be to create a second MMO that uses large parts of the existing system but is so different from GW2 that people do not perceive it as lazy copy or clone.

The GW2 system offers the following

-          PVE, PVP, WVW

-          Dodge

-          Light, Medium and Light Armor

-          Lots of stats that change your abilities

-          Weapon swap

-          Range and close combat

-          Distance modifier

-          Jumping

-          Blocking

-          Shields

-          Downstate

-          Reflects

-          Stealth

-          Direct and Condition Damage

-          Terrain and Cover

-          Line of sight

-          AOE

-          Teleport

-          Time Warp

-          Flying

-          Mounts that support multiple players

-          Ammunition skills

-          Daze, Stun, Knockbacks, Pull ….

-          Projectile Weapons

-          Beam weapons

-          Rocket launcher

-          Flamethrower

-          Grenade launcher

-          Turrets

-          Snipers

-          Combat pets

-          And so on…..

What would you say if there is brand, universe, popular board game, franchise with millions of fans that does not have an MMO yet…

Well, there is …

Nothing in this space exists, the WH40K universe is a sleeping giant of a franchise, that is criminally under used, especially when it comes to video games.

ANET already has so many things in place….

-          WH40k would probably make even better use of the combat system than GW2

-          GW2 already supports widely different character models which is also needed for WH40k. (Norn has basically the size of a Space Marine)

-          The vindicator is already an Assault Marine with Jump Pack

-          Instead of playing mechanist you play a Dreadnought, just get rid of the useless player character… LOL

-          You have spells, projectiles, grenades, beam weapons, summoning all the good stuff to create the different WH40K factions and balance them.

-          You can dodge, block, evade, reflect, absorb damage

-          Combat in GW2 between Close and Range is fluent, exactly what you need in WH40K

I read, watched and played everything that has to do with WH40K and every ability, skill, mechanic, I would wish to be in an MMO for WH40K is already there in GW2….

Here are some bonus thoughts

-          Since the system would so similar/identical to GW2, players could switch between the games very easily and still have two very different experiences

-          Some/a lot of development could be done it parallel for both games

-          The risk that a WH40K MMO would not be popular is very low

-          A Steam release could be coupled with a note „Hey GW2 is the Free to Play Game that is the foundation of our upcoming WH40K game

-          WVW is made for WH40K….

-          Player could recreate their miniatures in the game. The character creation process and color pallet would allow this already

And ANET if you want to develop something new for a WH40K Game, I also have a suggestion…

Instead of traveling from MAP to MAP in WH40K you travel from planet to planet and in between you can have space combat, just if you are bored ….

ANET is the studio to do this! I put the time into writing this comment, because I could not let go of this idea. Maybe somebody from the studio reads this, because if you follow the path, I mapped out, the more sense it all makes…trust me.

As both a player and a youtuber I would run for the hills at any involvement of Games Workshop in any franchise I was interested in.
Games Workshop is a litigious player-unfriendly company who attacks fan made content and will always favor their bottom line over EVERYTHING.

I love the 40k lore. But I vote with my wallet, and seeing Anet allying themselves with Games Workshop would disengage me from all their products including the Guild Wars franchise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 4/30/2022 at 1:54 AM, AlopiasGW.1932 said:

This... uh... yeah that's a ton of work. I'd rather not have ANet build and pitch a project like this, at the expense of working on GW2.

Also, as others have mentioned, Games Workshop has proven to be extremely... unfriendly to work with. At the same time, they've also proven willing to license out their IPs to terrible mobile developers who don't actually appreciate those IPs. Worst of both worlds, really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Since we're doing outlandish suggestions to save the farm...

Hey ANet here's my pitch. We keep GW2 going and keep developing it as planned. On the same time, let's get some extra funding from NCSoft. We use that money to rent a small office and hire a few people to run a totally different business, can be insurance, can be housing, can be healthcare I don't care or know enough about these things but hey my suggestion is totally valid. Then, when our insurance/healthcare/bounty business is turning in profit, we use that profit to cross-fund GW2, which will make GW2 even betterer.

I don't know what I'm talking about but please read!!!1!!1!!!1!!1!1!!1!1!1!!!1!!!ONE!!1!1!1!1!!1!1!1!!!1!!1!!!1!!1!1!!!1!!1!!1!!!1!!!!!

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

Since we're doing outlandish suggestions to save the farm...

Hey ANet here's my pitch. We keep GW2 going and keep developing it as planned. On the same time, let's get some extra funding from NCSoft. We use that money to rent a small office and hire a few people to run a totally different business, can be insurance, can be housing, can be healthcare I don't care or know enough about these things but hey my suggestion is totally valid. Then, when our insurance/healthcare/bounty business is turning in profit, we use that profit to cross-fund GW2, which will make GW2 even betterer.

I don't know what I'm talking about but please read!!!1!!1!!!1!!1!1!!1!1!1!!!1!!!ONE!!1!1!1!1!!1!1!1!!!1!!1!!!1!!1!1!!!1!!1!!1!!!1!!!!!

Lord Faren Insurance seller

• Haha 2