Ranger is Depression

Absinthey.5340

Just now, anduriell.6280 said:

Meanwhile ranger path of scars got nerfed in both hits to 0 damage, on the normal projectile and int he returning pull. Remember while engi is the favorite developer pet, ranger has been neglected and despised by Anet devs for 9 years. 

Look at the tooltip. It doesn't mention 2 hits for the damage it shows, just a single one.

I think this is actually a coding exception. Seems like the hit going outwards is not coded as a different hit than the returning one.

This might be why both hits are reduced to 0. Should definitely be changed, yes, but that might require to code the entire skill anew from scratch.

3 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

I think this is actually a coding exception. Seems like the hit going outwards is not coded as a different hit than the returning one.

Yes ranger apparently is full of  "code exceptions" like quickness or alac on pets and "balance rules like trade-offs and no unique buffs" which does seem to be only relevant when talking about ranger. 

Ranger is definitely depression, but apparently is just due code exceptions. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Look at the tooltip. It doesn't mention 2 hits for the damage it shows, just a single one.

This might be why both hits are reduced to 0. Should definitely be changed, yes, but that might require to code the entire skill anew from scratch.

Both parts act as individual hits in every possible regard. There is zero reason to assume the skill deals no dmg because of coding issues. It's like you are assuming nonsensical changes and oversights are impossible to happen, when in reality the exact opposite is the case ...

Not that's is relevant, because it is unlikely to change either way, as axe is meta in PvE and even in PvP/WvW it can be decent due to axe 5 carrying the weapon hard. And no dmg isn't even the reason why axe 4 is bad and adding a litte bit back wouldn't change anything. I'd rather have an actually decent pull instead.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907

1 hour ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Both parts act as individual hits in every possible regard. There is zero reason to assume the skill deals no dmg because of coding issues. It's like you are assuming nonsensical changes and oversights are impossible to happen, when in reality the exact opposite is the case ...

Not that's is relevant, because it is unlikely to change either way, as axe is meta in PvE and even in PvP/WvW it can be decent due to axe 5 carrying the weapon hard. And no dmg isn't even the reason why axe 4 is bad and adding a litte bit back wouldn't change anything. I'd rather have an actually decent pull instead.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is the only skill in the game with all these points applying:

- multi-hit ability

- applies CC just on one of these multiple hits

- tooltip just mentions 1 damage number, despite being multi-hit

This is what makes me suspicious. It could be coincidence, but chances are pretty good that something is going on in the code which is responsible for this instead of just oversight. That the only skill with these criteria applying is also the only one having the damage removed on a no-CC-hit is a bit much of a coincidence for me.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is the only skill in the game with all these points applying:

- multi-hit ability

- applies CC just on one of these multiple hits

- tooltip just mentions 1 damage number, despite being multi-hit

This is what makes me suspicious. It could be coincidence, but chances are pretty good that something is going on in the code which is responsible for this instead of just oversight. That the only skill with these criteria applying is also the only one having the damage removed on a no-CC-hit is a bit much of a coincidence for me.

Still just wild speculation. Yes that skill might be unique in some ways, but again, absolutely nothing hints at them being unable to change hits separately. In fact, they already did that when they added the pull to the second part. If a skill is coded differently somehow, you'd expect that skill to also behave differently one way or another, no? But that's not the case here. Also i'm pretty sure tooltips are completely independent from how a skill actually works (as it is not uncommon to have one changed but not the other) so that factor should be irrelevant. And there are examples of other skills being treated inconsistently (eg prelude lash did not get the dmg removed - you think that's a coding issue too?).

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter what the underlying issue is , we are not being paid to fix those problems. It is pretty clear it is fixable when we have skills in other professions which work in a very similar way and they work as they should. 

Anet devs maybe need to start playing with the ranger, maybe then we could get some work done in the class. I find funny mechanists main come here to excuse the bad quality this game is offering in relation to the ranger. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Anet's dedication to not touching Untamed at all since the expansion launched is truly impressive. Came back after a couple months of hiatus and expected something in all the patch notes I've missed. Nothing. Not even small numbers tweaks.

It's like Anet's balance team doesn't remember that the ranger exists.

• Like 5

Nothing ANet does will satisfy Ranger players. I mean current they hold some of the top DPS/Support spots so I don't know what more people can ask for.

If they nerf Soulbeast then people can complain but currently Ranger is tied with Engineer as the best ranged DPS in most PvP game modes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

4 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Nothing ANet does will satisfy Ranger players. I mean current they hold some of the top DPS/Support spots so I don't know what more people can ask for.

If they nerf Soulbeast then people can complain but currently Ranger is tied with Engineer as the best ranged DPS in most PvP game modes.

1. Druid is no longer top support and it took them buffing axe in a kind of unbalanced way in order to make soulbeast good DPS (its in the current healthy range of 35-38k, but can bring nothing else as bringing LoTP makes your DPS suffer greatly so stance sharing isn't viable at all). Untamed is top DPS on the golem right now but also has an insanely difficult rotation due to the speed at which you need to use your skills and honestly is hard enough to keep it from being super viable (and also it flat out works on fights with stability and/or effective stability (where CCing does nothing whatsoever))

2. Ranger has had nothing but useless bug fixes (i.e. fixing the tool tips on arctdotus and murellow, pets nobody uses because they're not good) and nerfs for a while now. The only thing thats really had it worse is ele mains, and for a short time warrior with the banner nerfs, although quick warrior is showing big promise right now.

• Like 7

Ranger problems I've seen: 

Esthetic:

Spoiler

Animations pre-soulbeast where soulbeast like (Great sword 2, main hand sword 2, etc.)

Thus if I want to make my ranger a Aragorn (a true ranger imo) I would have weird animal spirit animations.

The staff on druid looks so bad it's not even funny. It looks like you ripped a sapling out of the ground.

Untamed rock effect would have been better on beserkers and the berserk effect should have been on untamed. The untamed rock, when you are untamed, is only on you when you swap untamement, kind of sad.

Pve:

Spoiler

Druid uses core weapons in ow and is pretty much core in general staff has no place there.

Soulbeast dagger dagger has barely any sustain, I last longer in spvp than ow with it.

Untamed, nothing to report.I

I can't speak for raids/strike was I don't do them

spvp:

Spoiler

Druid is an untangle/daze bot. Druids staff is really bad as it out puts minor healing and barely any boons so the support class is not a good enough support.😢

Soulbeast dagger number 3 doesn't ever land, this is a range problem. The range after the leap is close to 0 and you don't adjust range while moving like scrapper hammer number 3 meaning they could, as long as you are doing the animation, sidestep.

Untamed nothing to report other than it is extremely hard.

All elite specs: you are garbage in melee every other class does it better which makes you a 🐔 and you have to run when they get close.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The patch note previews yet again completely fail to understand the problems surrounding the ranger class. There is still going to be zero reasons to bring a ranger into group play unless you're roleplaying and need a forest boy. 

Enjoy side nodeing in PvP on Soulbeast and Untamed for another 7 years, even though you're going to be outclassed by other classes that offer everything and more than you. Enjoy being a subpar firebrand in WvW on Druid, and laughed out of any serious GvG content for bringing any ranger build. Enjoy bringing your snooze fest garbage tier reworked spirits to PvE content to fill a niche role that is only sought after by mediocre players. 

Ranger is still Depression

Keep playing it and find out

You'll eventually agree 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Absinthey.5340 said:

The patch note previews yet again completely fail to understand the problems surrounding the ranger class. There is still going to be zero reasons to bring a ranger into group play unless you're roleplaying and need a forest boy. 

This made me laugh although there is nothing to be be laughing for, from now on forest boi it is. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Ranger, complex? Pets, utility? It's less likely than you think.

Pets can't hold a candle to a lot of other profession mechanics.

True this is why the best pet in the game is one that can generate a smoke field so you can stealth. 

They are purely used to facilitate your damage and not much else maybe the only exception is Condition builds.