Fishing Feedback?

On 6/2/2022 at 10:48 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

I've not been fishing much (partially because when EoD launched I was 1/2 way through making Ad Infinitum so I've been spending most of my time in Fractals) and not seriously made an effort on any of the achievements so I'm not worried about the rare fish yet,  but I like what I've done of it.

It's nice that you can do it anywhere there's water, and I like the little mini game (my least favourite fishing games are the ones where you push 1 button then have to wait for the 1 second window to push it again and that's it). As someone who wasn't that bothered about fishing and has had mixed reactions to it in other games I'm finding it a fun addition to the game.

I do agree that account-wide fishing tackle would be a good addition though. It's annoying when I feel like giving it a go and realise this character has no bait or lures and I'd have to go out of my way to get them, especially since they're likely to be in central Tyria where you need higher fishing power.

Thanks for your feedback.  I understand that some players have not done much with fishing yet and maybe found it difficult at first if trying in a difficult area without a good "Fishing Power" to succeed. 

It is really not so difficult as long as you take steps to get your fishing power to the right level for that area, although getting the right masteries helps a lot if you want to succeed with solo fishing.  I recommend fishing in Cantha areas to start with, joining a fishing party on someone else's boat until you have the right masteries. 

The key things that you need (other than rod, hook and bait) are:
- Fishing on a Full Tank (Tier 3 Fishing Mastery) +100 Fishing Power while Nourished.
- Bowl of Fish Stew (Nourishment (30 m): +150 Fishing Power) - can be crafted by 400 Chef, or bought on TP.
If you fish one someone else's boat where they have the Fishing Party (Tier 4 Skiff Mastery) and a decent catch of fish, you will find it a lot easier than solo fishing when you do not have that mastery.  The mastery provides:
- Fishing Party (Tier 4 Skiff Mastery) - between +25 (1 fish) and +150 (99+) Fishing Power.  Once you have the mastery, you can get the 99+ stack from someone else's boat when starting in a new area, then switch to your own boat if you would prefer to fish solo.

Someone said that they did not think Fishing was relaxing.  I disagree!  Just as in RL fishing, you can fish in a fishing tournement and work as fast and efficiently as possible to catch as many of the right type of fish as quickly as possible, but you don't have to do that!  Even if you join someone else's boat, you can fish in a relaxed way, as long as you show some consideration to the boat skipper and do not hold them up by continuing to fish when they are ready to move to the next fishing hole (they can of course move on immediatly they want to, inerrupting your current cast, but most people will not do that).  You can also just stay sat down and go afk for a while, which should generally not be an issue to the boat skipper, even just catching the occassional fish will help build a fish stack for the boat if it does not already have the +99 fish one.

Once you have all the mastery stuff, you can quite happily solo fish anywhere, provided you get the 99+ fish stack from someone else in a diffuclt area (when trying to do the Ring of Fire Fisher or Orrian Fisher achievements in particular).  You are at liberty to fish as fast or slow as you like!   In most areas, nothing will try and attack you or your boat, so there is little worry going afk for a bit (although you need to be constantly alert in some dangerous places).

If you are going for your Cod award, then you need to complete all the acheivements, which includes getting all types of fish, some which can only be caught during the 5 minutes of dusk/dawn with the right bait.  You can also farm with fishing and earn quite a lot quickly, if you care about that sort of thing. 🙂

Regarding my Fishing Multiclock, nobody has remarked on my "Shark Attack???" button, which provides a fun hidden feature!  Try it and let me know what you think 🤣

• Like 1

aside from the QOL changes said here, some changes are really needed.

-when swapping from a closing map you should keep your stacks. (nothing is more frustrating getting up your stacks during daytime to see that pop-up and having to swap maps or else you only have a limited time to fish during night)

-when logging(or error) out, you should keep your stacks for like 5-10 minutes. (second most frustrating thing is getting to 99 stacks and erroring out 1 minute before dawn/dusk on a high fishing power map...)

• Like 1

Thank you for your Fishing Clock, I do enjoy fishing as an activity, even though I have not done that much  of it yet and need to get the masteries.  Thank you for your tips on getting started.  The Shark Attack button was fun 🤣

I have been reading through the other comments and   I can see lots of interesting suggestions.  I will not add any myself at this time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/3/2022 at 3:55 AM, Arrowmaster.7194 said:

Thanks for your feedback.  I understand that some players have not done much with fishing yet and maybe found it difficult at first if trying in a difficult area without a good "Fishing Power" to succeed. 

It is really not so difficult as long as you take steps to get your fishing power to the right level for that area, although getting the right masteries helps a lot if you want to succeed with solo fishing.  I recommend fishing in Cantha areas to start with, joining a fishing party on someone else's boat until you have the right masteries. 

The key things that you need (other than rod, hook and bait) are:
- Fishing on a Full Tank (Tier 3 Fishing Mastery) +100 Fishing Power while Nourished.
- Bowl of Fish Stew (Nourishment (30 m): +150 Fishing Power) - can be crafted by 400 Chef, or bought on TP.
If you fish one someone else's boat where they have the Fishing Party (Tier 4 Skiff Mastery) and a decent catch of fish, you will find it a lot easier than solo fishing when you do not have that mastery.  The mastery provides:
- Fishing Party (Tier 4 Skiff Mastery) - between +25 (1 fish) and +150 (99+) Fishing Power.  Once you have the mastery, you can get the 99+ stack from someone else's boat when starting in a new area, then switch to your own boat if you would prefer to fish solo.

Someone said that they did not think Fishing was relaxing.  I disagree!  Just as in RL fishing, you can fish in a fishing tournement and work as fast and efficiently as possible to catch as many of the right type of fish as quickly as possible, but you don't have to do that!  Even if you join someone else's boat, you can fish in a relaxed way, as long as you show some consideration to the boat skipper and do not hold them up by continuing to fish when they are ready to move to the next fishing hole (they can of course move on immediatly they want to, inerrupting your current cast, but most people will not do that).  You can also just stay sat down and go afk for a while, which should generally not be an issue to the boat skipper, even just catching the occassional fish will help build a fish stack for the boat if it does not already have the +99 fish one.

Once you have all the mastery stuff, you can quite happily solo fish anywhere, provided you get the 99+ fish stack from someone else in a diffuclt area (when trying to do the Ring of Fire Fisher or Orrian Fisher achievements in particular).  You are at liberty to fish as fast or slow as you like!   In most areas, nothing will try and attack you or your boat, so there is little worry going afk for a bit (although you need to be constantly alert in some dangerous places).

If you are going for your Cod award, then you need to complete all the acheivements, which includes getting all types of fish, some which can only be caught during the 5 minutes of dusk/dawn with the right bait.  You can also farm with fishing and earn quite a lot quickly, if you care about that sort of thing. 🙂

Regarding my Fishing Multiclock, nobody has remarked on my "Shark Attack???" button, which provides a fun hidden feature!  Try it and let me know what you think 🤣

When people say that fishing is not relaxing they mean that the minigame mechanics of it require too much action and attention to be relaxing. There is no amount of, "I disagree," that makes something relaxing to someone else.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Ann Rose.2064 said:

The Shark Attack button was fun 🤣

Thank you for that!  I am glad someone tried it!

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

When people say that fishing is not relaxing they mean that the minigame mechanics of it require too much action and attention to be relaxing. There is no amount of, "I disagree," that makes something relaxing to someone else.

Good point!  I think that the difference with RL fishing is that you are often waiting a long time for a bite, so can do other things while waiting, like listening to music or reading a book.  I have been on fishing trips when I have caught nothing, but still enjoyed it!

In GW2 it is pretty easy when you have the green hook symbol, not so easy with yellow one and almost impossible with red one!

18 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

This is the actual reason why fishing is bad in gw2 and it is its own bane. I can't relax, chat or meet fellow fishers bcs I have to constanly do minigame and be on watch all times.

Company didn't do their homework and didn't look enough to other MMOs in how they implemented fishing. That's clear as day.

In BDO I can actively fish or afk fish and still swap between two briefly and go afk fish again if I am to relax and chat with players. This is not a thing in gw2. Unfun and annoying experience. I'm forced to non stop fishing in gw2 and I can't do anything else while being at it in a party. Not to mention pool system and how we are forced to fish at same time and move on to next pool together sharing a boat otherwise one person loses it bcs he wanted to chat and socialize while fishing. This is terrible design.

Edited by fatihso.7258
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/4/2022 at 7:15 AM, Ashen.2907 said:

Can be relaxing and fun except when you spend hours and hours for 1 fish.  Scorpion Fish in this case.   Yes, some must be harder but 5, 6, 7 hrs is too much. 

Edited by Image.8630
hit wrong button and it got posted before I was done.
  • Haha 1

My biggest frustration is you don't keep your stacks when a map closes. Anet wants people to swap as fewer maps is less resources. But fishers will stay put until the last moment if the 1 hour closing window is long enough for them to finish out the day/night. For fishers who NEED the high stacks for a particular part of day, and the 1 hour closing window stops short of that time/cuts that time in half, they have no choice but to start over on a new map. But sometimes you can swap maps and 5-10 minutes later (still in that timeframe where the 1 hour would cut off before/during the other part of the cycle you need the stacks for), they have to lose their stacks AGAIN and start over. This is especially horrible if you're fishing alone and can't get stacks of someone after the map swap.

With fishing, Anet have managed to turn one of the cornerstones of why openworld in GW2 is good (megaservers grouping players together into as few map instances as possible so you always have people to play alongside) into a massive annoyance. The megaserver system literally punishes people who are fishing if you're unlucky enough to be on a closing map.

Edit: Irony of irony, I type this in Crystal Oasis after already having to swap maps 3 times in 25 minutes as I build stacks for night-time (need the bloomin catfish), and the map I am in is closing AGAIN just 10 minutes after I'd swapped to it. I now have to start building stacks AGAIN because the 1 hour closing point is during the night part of the cycle! *beats head off a wall*

Edit 2: Well well, 10 minutes after the last "map is closing", the map I am on is closing AGAIN and will close 30 minutes into the night part of the cycle (losing 10 minutes of it). I am NOT swapping again (FIVE map closures in 45 minutes!!!!). I'd rather lose 10 minutes of the night cycle with high-ish stacks (no way I can reach 99 stacks in time now) than have to start all over AGAIN! Anet, for KITTENS sake let us keep our stacks on map swap!

Edited by Alaia Skyhawk.5064
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Was fun at first - to have the achievement thing pop up regularly - when you get a new fish. Now this happens less often - and I am doing it only on the daily map ... progressing the remaining fishes slowly. (And after that maybe repeating sloooowly for the title achievement.)

Since I'm not waiting for a specifig time I might do the daily when the remaining fishes are from a different time of the day.

The annoying things: Mobs attacking the skiff (that need to be killed or you being careful to not aggro them). Having to keep tons of different items (baits) in the inventory. (Maybe fishing got implemented to sell more bag slots? And of course the fishing rod skins from the gem store.)

Most annoying: Those dusk/dawn fishes - rarely fishing at those ingame times and I do not want ot plan/time for just a few minuts of changes to fish them. (Maybe they are also available at the other times but with lower drop rate? Exclusively at dusk/dawn ... very bad design.)

The most importand fix I'd want: Remove dusk/dawn and add them to one of the other times (or "any"). This is annoying and make you even try less. I can live with the other stuff - mainly doing this for achievements on the main char and that one has all bag slots unlocked and big bags and still some space left.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 5:43 AM, Luthan.5236 said:

Was fun at first - to have the achievement thing pop up regularly - when you get a new fish. Now this happens less often - and I am doing it only on the daily map ... progressing the remaining fishes slowly. (And after that maybe repeating sloooowly for the title achievement.)

Since I'm not waiting for a specifig time I might do the daily when the remaining fishes are from a different time of the day.

The annoying things: Mobs attacking the skiff (that need to be killed or you being careful to not aggro them). Having to keep tons of different items (baits) in the inventory. (Maybe fishing got implemented to sell more bag slots? And of course the fishing rod skins from the gem store.)

Most annoying: Those dusk/dawn fishes - rarely fishing at those ingame times and I do not want ot plan/time for just a few minuts of changes to fish them. (Maybe they are also available at the other times but with lower drop rate? Exclusively at dusk/dawn ... very bad design.)

The most importand fix I'd want: Remove dusk/dawn and add them to one of the other times (or "any"). This is annoying and make you even try less. I can live with the other stuff - mainly doing this for achievements on the main char and that one has all bag slots unlocked and big bags and still some space left.

OMG YES!  Mobs attacking the skiff, they are invulnerable yet they can sink my ship in minutes. Why cant we defend ourselves?  That is when you actually  notice you are being attacked.  The skiff 'life' bar rarely shows up.  I got lots unfinished AP cause of 1 missing ascended or Legendary Dusk/Dawn fish.  Which needs a lv5+ to catch.  

Just lost a 66 stack cause of map change,  and I got back on before the 15 sec.. but NOP,  Cant keep your 2h of work for what exactly?

• Sad 1

Further played a bit of the fishing - in the last weeks. I always try to do the one at daily ... and do a bit more. Slowly completing the individual achievements. With the different time requirements (day/night) I always try only one. The next time region is on daily I try the other one.

The dusk/dawn seem not too bad - they seem to have priority. If I quickly manage to fish 3 holes ... then I usually get the needed one. (Problem if more than 1 is needed at dusk/dawn per region.) Also some regions have like 3 different types of fishing nodes (Kryta) or 2 that are split on different maps (the volcanic one - from ring of fire). This + different time requirements and the fact that you lose stacks on map change ... is annoying.

Never really needed more than 50-60 stacks of the buff - this is just luck based I guess. Even with 700+ fishing power and requirement at 200 ... it took me forever in Kaineng. And with 6xx and requirement at about 700 or so ... in Orr - I managed to get legendary.

Instead of randomness I think a different type of minigame/progression would have been more fun. We have the mackerel that is pretty rare - and used as bait to just get more fishing power + for the fishes that require it. And you can buy it at the vendor now.

Stacked system: No randoms but you having to get easy level fish to use it to gather the next one (which then would have been needed for the next one) -  would have been more fun. With the rare stuff having maybe only 1 node that is a bit hidden. And maybe PvE requirements (drops and stuff) - and cooking ... to combine for the higher level baits.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Haha 1