Why isn't afk farming being discouraged with diminishing returns?

1 hour ago, Bollocks.4078 said:

I think you are kidding yourself.  The policy also uses the term "actively playing."  What you are doing is not actively playing.  I still am 100% convinced that what you are doing violates the policy.  I'm also 100% convinced that nothing will happen to you, not because what you're doing is OK, but because Anet's enforcement of the policy is extremely lax and generous.  We'll never know for sure unless someone official tells us one way or the other.  I'm 0% convinced that will ever happen.  I have nothing further to say to you on this.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014185033

Policy: Unattended Gameplay

As a general policy, ANY form of unattended gameplay is prohibited in Guild Wars 2This includes:

• The use of auto-casting abilities to farm while not at your computer or not actively playing the game.
  • The use of a macro to automate character skills while not at your computer or not actively playing the game.
  • The use of a macro to farm repeatable events or activities for rewards while not at your computer or not actively playing the game.
  • The use of a third-party program to automate or create a “bot” that performs autonomous actions in the game.

Note that this does not mean that you cannot be away from your computer (AFK) while you are online. Idling in a city or even in the open world is not prohibited, though your character should not perform actions, participate in content, or otherwise engage with the world while you are away from your computer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Friday.7864 said:

Why is reading comprehension such an advanced skill nowadays?
According to what I wrote no restrictions would apply to you if you're walking around and killing stuff with your necro...
ONLY IF YOU'RE STANDING IN ONE SPOT AND KILLING THE SAME MOBS REPEATEDLY - AKA AFK FARMING

Yeah the reading comprehension

If you would have read carefully, you would figure out that i am actively playing

Just because it's in one spot, doesn't mean it's afk farming.

You also violate 3 rules of conduct right now, while i do not.

If anyone's account need to be restricted, it's yours

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Bollocks.4078 said:

I think you are kidding yourself.  The policy also uses the term "actively playing."  What you are doing is not actively playing.  I still am 100% convinced that what you are doing violates the policy.  I'm also 100% convinced that nothing will happen to you, not because what you're doing is OK, but because Anet's enforcement of the policy is extremely lax and generous.  We'll never know for sure unless someone official tells us one way or the other.  I'm 0% convinced that will ever happen.  I have nothing further to say to you on this.

Just because i don't like my gaming style doesn't mean i am not actively playing.

You can repeat it over and over again but it doesn't make it more true.

Also you being convinced someone is violating the rules is irrelevant regarding someone really violating policies.

By your logic all of the invisible spies in PvP are not actively playing because they stand on one spot, serving only 1 purpose.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Dayra.7405 said:

how about: If you are longer than 15min in the same map-area you are no longer immune to player attacks.

Then we can 

• enjoy watching how they kill each other
  • clean up the remainings, if you really hate them 😀

I think you are playing the wrong game

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Friday.7864 said:

Any checks would have to include only engineers and necros for starters.
If they spend too much time in an area you could start looking at the stuff they're killing. If it's the same few respawning mobs with no variety you nuke the drops and xp. You as an active player would obv kill stuff all over the place so nothing would happen to you.

Even tho it is maybe an alternative, again, you still are hurting those thst dont afk and use those same classes, but maybe the killing variety would maybe do something. 

I would suggest as an idea to set grids, just as there are grids on guild halls that force certain ammount of furniture to be placed, the same could be applied on normal maps with ticks working in its system, those ticks would not count if an event is going on that is touching that/those grids, that would severely hinder afk farmes. 

Just trying to put an idea myself out because I understand that criticism has to also come with an alternate solution. 

Edited by Zauriel Mooncat.4968
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Zauriel Mooncat.4968 said:

Even tho it is maybe an alternative, again, you still are hurting those thst dont afk and use those same classes, but maybe the killing variety would maybe to something. 

I would suggest as an idea to set grids, just as there are grids on guild halls that force certain ammount of furniture to be placed, the same could be applied on normal maps with ticks working in its system, those ticks would not count if an event is going on thst is touching thst grid, thst would severely hinder afk farmes. 

Just trying to put an idea myself out because I understand that criticism has to also come with an alternate solution. 

Any penalty for killing a few specific mobs repeatedly for 5 mins straight could be undone by simply walking around the area and killing other enemies. Something a player who farms actively would do anyway. You wouldn't stand in the same exact spot for more than a few minutes waiting for the same exact enemies to respawn. 

People right now plop down a dozen of alts in one spot, summon minions/turrets and keep amassing spirit shards and drops with several accounts without moving a muscle. Just requiring them to occasionally walk around the area and kill enemies outside their turret/minion range would be plenty. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Does anyone actively stay in one spot to farm low level mobs for an hour or more?

Just have a radius range of say, 600 and if any player does not move beyond that range in 45 minutes, they'll be automatically logged out. If logged out by the game, the mobs within that area will be invulnerable to them until reset.

45 minutes may seem a long time but it is not if you're actively killing and/or chatting. The game will warn you about the pending logging out and you're required to move out of the radius and back in.

Afk-farmers usually farmed for several hours when they are at work, school, etc. Of course, they can actively moved their characters every 45 minutes or so but it'll require them to actively attend to it periodically.

You won't eliminate them all but some will just give up since it will require some effort.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2022 at 3:39 AM, Phasma Phasmatis.4305 said:

The funner solution would be to do what the Witcher 3 did when people were farming the Cows, spawn a legendary enemy there if you kill too many. Make a Legendary Ghost executioner that drops no gear spawn in that spot every 50 kills and wipe out the afk botters, have it port those that die away from the area so their macros can't go back to doing what they were doing. Active farmers and passing through players can run away, the bots will be dead and ported across the map swinging at the air with nothing to hit. 

Alternatively maybe have a hidden debuff that counts up everytime you kill a ghost, kill 50 your body drops and you temporarily become an attackable ghost that can then be killed by all the other players in the area. Let the bots kill themselves off. Something similar already exits with the Class II Rift Stabilizer as it can randomly turn players into an attackable  Leyline anomaly if you hop up and down in a rift long enough with the wrong coordinates.

Your first idea is a good one.

The second is just bad. Because what if you are level 10, new player, and actually are farming ghosts to level up. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/12/2022 at 3:39 AM, Phasma Phasmatis.4305 said:

The funner solution would be to do what the Witcher 3 did when people were farming the Cows, spawn a legendary enemy there if you kill too many. Make a Legendary Ghost executioner that drops no gear spawn in that spot every 50 kills and wipe out the afk botters, have it port those that die away from the area so their macros can't go back to doing what they were doing. Active farmers and passing through players can run away, the bots will be dead and ported across the map swinging at the air with nothing to hit. 

Like this guy https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_Bandit_Executionerbut but without loot, yeah would work as well, but isn't as elegant as letting them kill themself (by enabling player damage on them) after "to long" farming, but maybe even more spectacular.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Friday.7864 said:

Any penalty for killing a few specific mobs repeatedly for 5 mins straight could be undone by simply walking around the area and killing other enemies. Something a player who farms actively would do anyway. You wouldn't stand in the same exact spot for more than a few minutes waiting for the same exact enemies to respawn. 

People right now plop down a dozen of alts in one spot, summon minions/turrets and keep amassing spirit shards and drops with several accounts without moving a muscle. Just requiring them to occasionally walk around the area and kill enemies outside their turret/minion range would be plenty. 

Yeah, but A-Net has the "Play as you want" policy and my gamestyle is standing at the same spot doing nothing but tapping space bar.

I am grateful for A-Net being a mindful company who supports variety and is not giving in to any mud slinging,  hateful individuals

who want to force their live on others.

Thank you for that A-Net

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

Yeah, but A-Net has the "Play as you want" policy and my gamestyle is standing at the same spot doing nothing but tapping space bar.

31 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

I do

Tbh, it doesm't bother me at all if someone uses a bot since it doesn't affect how I play the game.

As for your play-style, if you enjoy that, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Anet allows auto-clicker if it's to just do a simple 1-click action as long as you're not afk. So, use that to save yourself some agony.

As for what I suggested, if you're not afk and game message pops up, then there should be no problem with taking the appropriate actions. I.e., moving out and then back in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

I do

So you stand in one spot, without moving, and you keep looking at your necro killing the same mobs over and over again - taking into account the ToS requires you to stay attentive at all times and  able to respond to any potential GM inquiry?

And while being physically present at your PC, having GW2 on screen at all times and having to keep an eye on it - it would simply be too much if you had to move your character every 10 minutes and kill a different mob one time so you keep getting loot at your spot?

If the answer to both questions is yes and that 1 mob kill is too much effort despite you properly keeping an eye on the game - then I can't help but feel as if you're pulling the wool over my eyes and... generously misrepresenting what you're actually doing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Friday.7864 said:

So you stand in one spot, without moving, and you keep looking at your necro killing the same mobs over and over again - taking into account the ToS requires you to stay attentive at all times and  able to respond to any potential GM inquiry?

And while being physically present at your PC, having GW2 on screen at all times and having to keep an eye on it - it would simply be too much if you had to move your character every 10 minutes and kill a different mob one time so you keep getting loot at your spot?

Nope, you got it all wrong

I have my Necro wherever i want her, autocasting the minions.

While the necro is doing it's thing, i have my legs up on the table and tap the space bar from time to time.

This is a very relaxed way to farm. This gives me time to read my books to prepare for the next certifications.

No, there is no script or bot involved

Yes, i am at my computer

And YES, I abosultely mind moving every 10 minutes because i hate stressful gaming.

The only time i have ever been asked by an Anet person ingame, i answered what the heck i am doing here and he/she wished me luck with the farming return and moved on.

Edited by Kurrilino.2706
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Silent.6137 said:

Tbh, it doesm't bother me at all if someone uses a bot since it doesn't affect how I play the game.

As for your play-style, if you enjoy that, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Anet allows auto-clicker if it's to just do a simple 1-click action as long as you're not afk. So, use that to save yourself some agony.

As for what I suggested, if you're not afk and game message pops up, then there should be no problem with taking the appropriate actions. I.e., moving out and then back in.

I totally agree with you here.

If people want to use bots to farm virtual pieces of leather or whatever, go for it.

We are talking a video game here where any kind of currency or material has zero connection to my real life.

I still stay away from the auto clicker since i want to experience the game itself

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4

14 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

Nope, you got it all wrong

I have my Necro wherever i want her, autocasting the minions.

While the necro is doing it's thing, i have my legs up on the table and tap the space bar from time to time.

This is a very relaxed way to farm. This gives me time to read my books to prepare for the next certifications.

No, there is no script or bot involved

Yes, i am at my computer

And YES, I abosultely mind moving every 10 minutes because i hate stressful gaming.

The only time i have ever been asked by an Anet person ingame, i answered what the heck i am doing here and he/she wished me luck with the farming return and moved on.

Moving your character is stressfull gaming?
Now I've heard it all. This is top notch. Haven't laughed this much in ages.
You're a funny guy, too funny in fact, I just can't take you seriously anymore 😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1